• jweijde over 4 years ago

jweijde edited over 3 years ago
    I just came across this release: http://www.discogs.com/release/4429047 and I noticed that there's probably two unique versions. One pressed by EPSA and one by Sum Records

It turns out we have several entries for EPSA in the database:
    EPSA S.A.I.C.
    Epsa S.A.
    EPSA Electrical Products S.A.
    These seem to be the entries for the manufacturer.
    EPSA Music S.A. also exists but seems to be the parent of the other companies and of Epsa Music, an Argentinian label.

Now my question is: shouldn't the manufacturer simply be called "EPSA" since that's what's in the matrix ? Releases never seem to mention the full company names.

EPSA Electrical Products S.A. 's profile mentions examples of used matrix strings:

A4MD11D11/10 607000550 EPSA IND. ARG./26598
    A9M2D10 9881771 / UNIVERSAL EPSA IND. ARG./31482

"IND. ARG" stands for "Industria Argentina" which is a fancy way of saying "Made in Argentina"
    http://www.discogs.com/forum/thread/521515189469733cfcfae273

Shouldn't EPSA be credited here for Pressed By, instead of EPSA Electrical Products S.A. or one of the other companies mentioned in my first post?

Does anyone have an idea?

Really nobody with input?

Maybe I should just start renaming them to EPSA and see if that wakes someone up...
  • andygrayrecords over 4 years ago

Frustrating I know, but i wouldn't start making mass edits without forum discussion, as you are well aware.

I know, but you cant say I didnt try... If something needs to be corrected and apparently no one else cares enough about it in the forums, should I just leave the errors in the database? I think not.
  • Erit_Invictus over 4 years ago

EPSA Music and EPSA Music S.A. are separate things, one's a label and the other a record company.

The other two labels (Check again, S.A.I.C. is dead and has been for a while), well, I pretty much made them from scratch (Or rather, from a bunch of highly unorganized releases). Took a while looking at legal pages on the net an such. My argument for differentiating EPSA S.A. from EPSA Electrical Products S.A. was that there's a shift in the way the matrix is done, between the late 90s and the early 00s, which came along with what I believed was a company name change. However just recently I've realized That EPSA is the initials for Electrical Products (Though EPSA is the registered name, the extra S.A. being part of the company name), which wouldn't make sense for a company to be name Electrical Products Electrical Products S.A.

If anything both companies should be merged, as they are manufacturing companies. However we actually don't know anything about them. Perhaps there was a name change, perhaps not.
  • Amsreddevil over 4 years ago

EPSA Electrical Products S.A. and Epsa S.A. profiles are a bit wishy-washy. And I have a problem that many edits were done on both profiles, but not a single one of them backed properly with sources (only later on a link provided to http://www.lanacion.com.ar/, which is what kind of site exactly?) This seems to be the norm on discogs, to just add info as if everybody else knows exactly where this info is from without needing justification.

Erit_Invictus
    However we actually don't know anything about them. Perhaps there was a name change, perhaps not.

As I see it, all we know is the name mentioned in the matrix and that's usually EPSA. So in my opinion that's the correct name. There's no need to get all difficult with company name changes, if they consistently use a single name in the matrix.
  • Myriad over 4 years ago

jweijde
    As I see it, all we know is the name mentioned in the matrix and that's usually EPSA. So in my opinion that's the correct name. There's no need to get all difficult with company name changes, if they consistently use a single name in the matrix.

Yes, definitely. All releases on both EPSA S.A. and EPSA Electrical Products S.A. show matrices with EPSA only, no suffixes or full company names. I am in favour of reinstating Epsa and moving all releases across that show EPSA in the matrix.

Ok, I will start moving the releases with EPSA in the matrix to EPSA
  • Myriad over 4 years ago

I've moved over a few releases and have set up a basic profile for Epsa. I didn't think it really necessary to include all the different matrix string variations though (but that's just me).
  • isidroco over 4 years ago

EPSA is fine for me.