• NessFan over 7 years ago

Today, we are releasing the Order Timeline Beta! This is an exciting step forward for providing clarity on the order status page for our community. The new Order Timeline will better indicate which phase of the order process you’ve reached during the buying and selling process.

The Beta is opt-in only, so if you so choose to opt-out, we will honor that request until we are ready for a full release.

Post any kudos or suggestions you may have regarding the new Order Timeline feature. Please feel free to us know what is or isn’t working for you and why. As always, we welcome your feedback!
  • charly over 7 years ago

Seem to be working for me, but noticed one obvious bug. Shipping cost currency is displayed in wrong currency in the timeline (USD instead of EUR which is the currency I use).
  • ClubMixRemix over 7 years ago

PROs: I like the icons that were added for shipped, payment rec'd etc. - they do make it easier to quickly find something in the text.

CONs: I don't like the fact that I can't see the text of some of the earlier messages sent by the buyer to me. Aside from sometimes needing to review past messages for business purposes (Which address did they want that sent to again? etc.) I've developed real friendships with some of my buyers - almost like electronic pen pals in a way - and want to be able to go back and review what they said about something even if it may not have been exclusively regarding the order. It's sort of like pulling out an old handwritten letter (for those of us old enough to remember them) and realizing that one of the pages is missing. ;)
  • ClubMixRemix over 7 years ago

P.S. Forgot to mention in cons the way the date/time stamp appears, a la Forum Thread #52dd9171a86b6d6f5ec8ddad.
  • Tokeowave over 7 years ago

Ahhhhh, so that's why when I sent out a message and update an order status at the same time, the status and message appear as two separate entries whereas before it records both actions under one entry. Looks ok for what I do so far.
  • antolen over 7 years ago

charly
    Seem to be working for me, but noticed one obvious bug. Shipping cost currency is displayed in wrong currency in the timeline (USD instead of EUR which is the currency I use).

Thanks for the report, it should be fixed now.

ClubMixRemix
    CONs: I don't like the fact that I can't see the text of some of the earlier messages sent by the buyer to me.

Previous messages aren't removed. Orders prior to Sept 12, 2014 would not have the new timeline events, but the messages should still be there. Are you not seeing some of them?

ClubMixRemix
    P.S. Forgot to mention in cons the way the date/time stamp appears, a la Forum Thread #52dd9171a86b6d6f5ec8ddad.

Thanks for the link, we will look into changing the timestamp formats.
  • SchusterBach over 7 years ago

1. (created the order) It's impossible to see, at witch type of payment option the buyer has selected
    2. It's not possible to see at the status has been sent in "Invoice sent", there is automatic set by discogs
    3. It's not possible to see the timestamps (Yes I can hover over at set it, but I want to see it in clear text)
    4. The message "Please check your PayPal account for the buyer's payment. If payment has cleared, please update the order status to "Payment Received". " should not be show as a message from the buyer, but as a message from the "system"
  • nerdfly over 7 years ago

Looks good... would be nice if instead of saying 'seller changed shipping price to £-.--' it said something along the lines of 'seller added £-.-- for shipping'

The 'changed' thing sounds a bit misleading...
  • nokogiribiki over 7 years ago

hi,
    where i can see these news? first in a new order?
    thanks
    d
  • Puffino over 7 years ago

Dan, open an order and in the timeline of it, all the messages, you will see the news. Tooko me some time, too, to find.

SchusterBach edited over 7 years ago
    IMO are the "Order time line" in the wrong place, it should be in the top of the page and be in a vertical line with Icons for

New order -> Invoice Sent -> Payment Pending -> Payment Received -> Shipped -> Feedback Left (Confirm item is received)

All inactive status/phase shall be in gray tone, current phase shall be blue, all complete phase shall be green. If the buyer/seller have put in a note/updated shall the phase be yellow, the first time the page has been display for seller/buyer

With this will it be more visually and the process is clear display also for new buyers (And seller). A click on one of the phases (not the inactive one) should it jump down to the "log" line. So in this case are there no need (or just a little need) do anything

SchusterBach
    1. The payment option should be visible in the initial email that gets sent out when order is placed. We will look into integrating that with the order page.
    2. "Invoice sent" should be set automatically if the sipping policies are set-up.
    3. Timestamps will be added today in the second iteration of the beta.
    4. We initially missed that message during development and will be fixing that in the next few days.

SchusterBach
    IMO are the "Order time line" in the wrong place, it should be in the top of the page and be in a vertical line with Icons for

Yes, you guessed it right, we are releasing that feature for the beta today! Thanks for all of your feedback!

For the entries in the timeline next to the 'circle' icons (order status), can they have a light grey/or some kind of colored background so you can see them quickly and distinguish them from user convo, thanks.

We have rolled out few fixes to the timeline with new header for the order page. It should help keeping track of the order progress. Let us know what you think!

Tokeowave
    For the entries in the timeline next to the 'circle' icons (order status), can they have a light grey/or some kind of colored background so you can see them quickly and distinguish them from user convo, thanks.

Status change has the circle icons to help out differentiate it from a message. Adding the background color will make the circle bend in.

antolen
    Status change has the circle icons to help out differentiate it from a message. Adding the background color will make the circle bend in.

Then how about making the conversations in between the order status updates indented, but still lined up under each other to the right a little bit. Just 10 to 15 spaces. Not trying to do crazy tree folders. The icons in the timeline are all in one straight vertical line currenty, so indentation would be easy on the eyes.

• dumdidum over 7 years ago

dumdidum edited over 7 years ago
    NessFan
    This is an exciting step forward for providing clarity on the order status page for our community. The new Order Timeline will better indicate which phase of the order process you’ve reached during the buying and selling process.

In my opinion, the order timeline in its current form is useless clutter. I know the steps through which an order goes and there's no need for constant visual reminders.

Really, I cannot imagine this being useful for anyone except maybe novice buyers. And even for novice buyers it's only insightful after the fact. For them, it would be much more instructive if you had a complete timeline to start, with phases which haven't been reached yet grayed out. Then, you hightlight an icon whenever a phase has been completed. But, of course, if you implemented that you would have to think about which icons to display in the first place because some order phases may never be reached.

What's important to me is a prominent display of the current status of the order on the order page. But that's already implemented. And very effectively so. (I particularly find the different background colors -- green for shipped, light red for cancelled, etc. -- helpful for a quick orientation.)
  • dumdidum over 7 years ago

Let me try to rephrase this differently to make my point clearer.

Visual clues can help you make decisions. ebay, for instance, uses icons to that end. They show you a bunch of gray icons which summarize various steps of an order (item shipped, feedback given, and some others). Once the step has been completed, the icon becomes colored in turquois. These icons act as useful reminders. E.g., if the "feedback given" icon is still gray, I know that I still have to leave feedback.

But on Discogs, I'm merely shown some icons that document what has already happened. That may look pretty, but it isn't really instructive.

antolen

Oh, and I was refering to the text part to add background color to, not the icons on the left.

Visual clues.

Yes!

When I'm looking at the timeline, I focus on the text and not have to look at each icon and then look over to the text. With a light grey background for the only the statuses, I'll know right away its a status (especially if I'm scrolling fast) and not a message because the color is in my line of vision.
  • massenmedium over 7 years ago

Maybe there's some purpose to this or future rationale but I can't see it and for now it just makes the page more confusing at a quick glance.

One thing I don't like is it buries the first thing you need to know about a message or status which is WHO did it, something that is very clear in the present scheme.

massenmedium
    Maybe there's some purpose to this or future rationale but I can't see it and for now it just makes the page more confusing at a quick glance.

One thing I don't like is it buries the first thing you need to know about a message or status which is WHO did it, something that is very clear in the present scheme.

I agree. My avatar next to a status change mean I updated the status, very easy.

Tokeowave edited over 7 years ago
    Please consider making changes from this: http://s5.postimg.org/vz5a55vg7/screen1.jpg

To this (with both next and previous order links): http://s5.postimg.org/6ue9rqvzr/screen2_a.jpg
    To this (with only previous order link): http://s5.postimg.org/b4sxnc12v/screen2_b.jpg

Edit: If the issue is the tooltips appearing over the order number etc, it is not. Most users won't mouseover it for long periods of time or, make it so that the tooltips appear flush to the right, where there's plenty of room.
  • double-happiness over 7 years ago

This looks kind of fun, first impressions are good.

Not sure about the truck though, are my overseas buyers to expect delivery via a lorry? I would actually use a postal satchel as the basis for the 'shipped' icon, personally.

Looks quite funky at first glance anyway.

double-happiness
    Not sure about the truck though

I think it's pretty standard, although it's facing the wrong way in my opinion - left = back/previous/in compared to right = forward/next/out. It could do with some 'speed' lines behind it as well, three - each consecutively shorter than the other - to suggest movement.

The paid icon is bit dubious looking though!

I had offers from a buyer for loads of items, laborious acceptance process aside and after i had finally collated them all in to one order i was pleasantly surprised that the order page was still clean and didn't duplicate all the items in the first message or even make a message telling me i'd made the order by combining x items - which was nice:)

To clarify, I didn't come up with the icons or how they appear in the circles. Just did a screen grab of the Lab beta version.

Please add a line break after the status icons in the Manage Order page, thanks.
  • PabloPlato over 7 years ago

useless. can i opt out permanently?
  • pinkychukkles over 7 years ago

• 8892sales over 7 years ago

Out of curiosity. What does the new timeline/layout beta look like from a buyer's perspective?
  • All-Day over 7 years ago

will this finally fix the merge orders function so that all previous communication appears on the merged order?
  • BennyILL over 7 years ago

All-Day
    will this finally fix the merge orders function so that all previous communication appears on the merged order?

+1

Plus the shipping truck I think should be a airplane

BennyILL
    Plus the shipping truck I think should be a airplane

Or a box.
  • BennyILL over 7 years ago

Tokeowave
    BennyILLPlus the shipping truck I think should be a airplane
    Or a box.

or a snail

There's no snail. They use icons from this spot: http://fortawesome.github.io/Font-Awesome/icons/
  • ROBDOLPHIN66 over 7 years ago

All-Day

+1

In addition, I have just opted in and merged an order (92049-3975).
    The new timeline states that the buyer created the order 05-Oct-14 11:10 AM which they did not.
    It really should say seller merged orders x & y into order z.
  • devonites over 7 years ago

I really like this, the legend at the top of the order page makes it very easy to see the steps of the process and it must look much clearer for new buyers. Circles for events as opposed to squares for communication makes it easy to differentiate between the two.

nerdfly
    would be nice if instead of saying 'seller changed shipping price to £-.--' it said something along the lines of 'seller added £-.-- for shipping'

+1

"seller added the shipping price of £---" would be more concise.

But my biggest suggestion is that I would love to see "feedback received" built into the legend. It's the final part of the order; it shows the record has been received and acknowledges that all is well, or not in a few rare cases. At the moment I have to scour the feedback page for the most recent date so I can return it.

If this is possible, I think the star icon (which currently denotes new order) would be best, then replace new order with something like this: http://fortawesome.github.io/Font-Awesome/icon/bars/ which is probably more fitting.

BennyILL
    the shipping truck I think should be a airplane

This works for overseas orders but not for domestic and I think the truck icon gets the message across. Maybe an envelope says it better? http://fortawesome.github.io/Font-Awesome/icon/envelope-o/

Apart from this, I think it's a vast improvement, well done antolen & cburmeister.

devonites
    I really like this, the legend at the top of the order page makes it very easy to see the steps of the process and it must look much clearer for new buyers.

A not really. If I look at a order there are in "Payment Pending" has the sequence: New order - Payment Pending - Payment Received - Shipped
    On a order there are in "Invoice Sent" has the sequence : New Order - Invoice Sent - Payment Received - Shipped.

And why are there a different... It should be 100 % the same sequence, so it looks like at the "Invoice Sent" will never goes into "payment pending"

And why is the "payment received" color yellow. It should be green, because the signal in the yellow is saying "alert" and not complete. I am NOT a fan of all the color shift and it should be possible to do it better, like

SchusterBach
    All inactive status/phase shall be in gray tone, current phase shall be blue, all complete phase shall be green. If the buyer/seller have put in a note/updated shall the phase be yellow, the first time the page has been display for seller/buyer

This "seller changed the order status to Payment Pending" is also incorrect. Because I cannot see on the order, at it has pass the phase "Invoce Sent" and I have NOT change the status to "Payment Pending", Discogs have.
    devonites
    Apart from this, I think it's a vast improvement, well done antolen & cburmeister.

There is still room for huge improvements as other have already pointed out.

1. (created the order) It's impossible to see, at witch type of payment option the buyer has selected
    2. It's not possible to see at the status has been sent in "Invoice sent", there is automatic set by discogs

devonites
    If this is possible, I think the star icon (which currently denotes new order) would be best, then replace new order with something like this: http://fortawesome.github.io/Font-Awesome/icon/bars/ which is probably more fitting.

Or this for feedback: http://fortawesome.github.io/Font-Awesome/icon/pencil/

Tokeowave
    Or this for feedback: http://fortawesome.github.io/Font-Awesome/icon/pencil/

Good call, I think that makes more sense than the star.

ROBDOLPHIN66
    It really should say seller merged orders x & y into order z.

+1

SchusterBach
    It should be 100 % the same sequence

Hmm...Why would you put "Payment Pending" into the sequence if it didn't appear in the order? Same with "Cancelled". Apart from that I agree the sequence should be the same.

SchusterBach
    It's impossible to see, at witch type of payment option the buyer has selected

I don't understand, I buy on Discogs as well as sell and I've never had to select a payment option...isn't this a communication from the buyer?
  • Lixx over 7 years ago

I miss how many days ago it was shipped out that used to be bolded on the order page. Please bring that back it was so helpful when calculating how many days it has been since shipped!

And is there any reason why the word "Paid" is not used instead because with the added icon, "Payment Received" is appears bunged up now in the Manage Orders page.

I agree. My avatar next to a status change mean I updated the status, very easy.

The reason why the avatar is replaced by the icon is to differentiate a status change from a message.

Tokeowave
    To this (with both next and previous order links): http://s5.postimg.org/6ue9rqvzr/screen2_a.jpg
    To this (with only previous order link): http://s5.postimg.org/b4sxnc12v/screen2_b.jpg

Thanks for the screenshots! We tried the layout internally but we still prefer the status icons on the right, otherwise there is too much whitespace in the header.

All-Day

Merged orders should have a status message indicating which orders were merged together with links to each order. Messages are not transferred over.

antolen
    Thanks for the screenshots! We tried the layout internally but we still prefer the status icons on the right, otherwise there is too much whitespace in the header.

Okay but could you at least move the Previous/Next links across from the Last activity field. Hated it there at the top.

antolen
    The reason why the avatar is replaced by the icon is to differentiate a status change from a message.

Maybe I'm not used to the icons but I still think its too subtle, and the icons are grey. I usually look at the text part to tell if they are status updates or not so if the text were highlighted some kind of way with background color (not necessarily grey color) or indentation, that would be great too.

devonites
    I don't understand, I buy on Discogs as well as sell and I've never had to select a payment option...isn't this a communication from the buyer?

Some seller can have different payment option like Bank transfer, Paypal, Money Order, Skrill.

And I have just received a order now, where the status is "New Order" and I don't have a clue what payment option the buyer has selected......

So staff, please brig the really value information back on the order pages

antolen
    Thanks for the screenshots! We tried the layout internally but we still prefer the status icons on the right,

It's really not a good place to have it. The eye will look up to the left corner not in the middle on the screen

SchusterBach
    Some seller can have different payment option like Bank transfer, Paypal, Money Order, Skrill.

And I have just received a order now, where the status is "New Order" and I don't have a clue what payment option the buyer has selected......

So staff, please brig the really value information back on the order pages

When I look at your my store page, it says you accept paypal and cash, nothing else for some reason. So are you saying before it tells you what payment method was used and was removed? I see that you're using the shipping policy feature so its possible that payment methods appear as opposed to those that don't.

SchusterBach
    It's really not a good place to have it. The eye will look up to the left corner not in the middle on the screen

True and where I recommended it should be is where we've been having the order status all this time too so I don't see the point in moving it and cluttering that area. And its not that much white space.

antolen
    Merged orders should have a status message indicating which orders were merged together with links to each order. Messages

Neither of these are there.

antolen
    Messages are not transferred over.

Is there a reason for this?

Also, what about the point that I raised previously about it saying that the buyer created the order at the point when they were merged by the seller 05/10?
    In addition, I have now noticed that this info is contradicted by the info in the order tab at the top of the page, which states that the order (singular) was created by the buyer 02/10.

Tokeowave
    When I look at your my store page, it says you accept paypal and cash, nothing else for some reason. So are you saying before it tells you what payment method was used and was removed? I see that you're using the shipping policy feature so its possible that payment methods appear as opposed to those that don't.

I have just remove the bank option for now, because I am in the process to switch bank (You can see from my seller terms at I accept bank transfer from Denmark and Sweden. I am also looking into skrill, so for me is it important so see what payment option the buyer has selected

antolen
    Messages are not transferred over.

Really and why not. There can be important information in the messages there then will be lost!

SchusterBach
    I have just remove the bank option for now, because I am in the process to switch bank (You can see from my seller terms at I accept bank transfer from Denmark and Sweden. I am also looking into skrill, so for me is it important so see what payment option the buyer has selected

Yeah I think for all orders, when buyers are checking out (shipping policy in use or not), they should select a payment method from the seller's available payment options and recorded on the order page or buyer information box somewhere.

Tokeowave
    Yeah I think for all orders, when buyers are checking out (shipping policy in use or not), they should select a payment method from the seller's available payment options and recorded on the order page or buyer information box somewhere.

+1 Agree. I have now ask for that many times, but I think it to difficult for the staff to put it back on the order page

And just received a new order with the log line below

SchusterBach changed the order status to Payment Pending - 06-Oct-14 10:48 PM

No I have not. It has been change by the "shipping calculator" or some other magic in the background. I have not done it, so the update is incorrect

devonites
    "seller added the shipping price of £---" would be more concise.

Yes, I agree that sounds better, we will change the wording.

devonites
    But my biggest suggestion is that I would love to see "feedback received" built into the legend.

We have future plans to improve the way feedback appears on the order page, but it will not be part of this iteration of order timeline.

ROBDOLPHIN66
    Neither of these are there.

It's a bug that they are not showing up, we will have a fix coming up for that soon.Thanks for reporting it.

SchusterBach
    Really and why not. There can be important information in the messages there then will be lost!

The merge status change will have links to previously merged orders with all the messages there.

antolen
    The merge status change will have links to previously merged orders with all the messages there.

OK — why can't it show all the messages in one place? Links are better than nothing, but it just doesn't make sense to have messages spread across 2, 3, 4 or more orders. Sellers have been asking for this for years. Is there some technical reason Discogs has refused to do that?

On the orders page https://www.discogs.com/sell/orders is the STATUS column with the new icons. At the moment the text is centred in that column so the icons are all over the place dependent on status and not only look messy but are a little ineffective. If the text was aligned left in that column then all the status icons would occupy the same position down the column and in my opinion that would make them more effective at displaying order status at a glance.

Also in the DATE and LAST ACTIVITY columns the date and time currently occupy the same line with AM/PM relegated to the line below. It looks disorganised and a little counter-intuitive. A line break between date and time so that the time along with AM/PM occupied the same line it would be far more attractive and understandable.

:)

While i'm on it - why not remove the far right column with the leave feedback/archive links? They are doubled up in the status bar anyway where they are much more useful in that they can be applied to more than one order at a time. At present they are easy to hit accidentally while scrolling on a touchscreen, and it can be annoying to occasionally 'lose' orders to the archive without noticing.

antolen
    We have future plans to improve the way feedback appears on the order page, but it will not be part of this iteration of order timeline.

I feel buyers are quite bad at leaving feedback so building it into the legend would make them realise it is part of the buying process. It would also make it much easier for sellers to see who has most recently left feedback so it can be returned.

Will it not be part of the order timeline because you don't think it's right or because it's not possible?

nerdfly
    At the moment the text is centred in that column so the icons are all over the place

It looks fine on my screen.

nerdfly
    A line break between date and time so that the time along with AM/PM occupied the same line it would be far more attractive

+1

antolen

Is it not possible to transfer any messages to the merged order?
    It is annoying enough searching for messages if only 2 orders have been merged but this becomes harder the more orders that were merged.

From my point of view, it would be better to move any messages to the merged order and remove the original (now merged) orders completely.

ROBDOLPHIN66
    From my point of view, it would be better to move any messages to the merged order and remove the original (now merged) orders completely.

agreed, it seems so painfully obvious that all info related to an order needs to be in one place.

nerdfly
    At the moment the text is centred in that column so the icons are all over the place dependent on status and not only look messy but are a little ineffective.

Thanks for your feedback, I will take care of icon text alignment. Other changes are not related to the timeline, so we won't be able to implement them.

devonites
    Will it not be part of the order timeline because you don't think it's right or because it's not possible?

It won't be part of the timeline at this time because it's out of the scope for this change, in this iteration we are only converting existing events to timeline events. We are planing on improving the feedback system at a later time where we will look into adding timeline events for feedback.

ROBDOLPHIN66
    Is it not possible to transfer any messages to the merged order?
    It is annoying enough searching for messages if only 2 orders have been merged but this becomes harder the more orders that were merged.

We don't have any plans transferring over the messages. For now links are the only way to see previous messages.

antolen
    We are planing on improving the feedback system at a later time where we will look into adding timeline events for feedback.

That's great, thanks.

antolen
    We don't have any plans transferring over the messages. For now links are the only way to see previous messages.

Sorry to say, but Discogs need to change the plans. It's important, at all communication are in one place and not separated our on x number of orders. Both sellers and buyers need to have that, but I think it will also be used full for the staff and it's comment sense to do it in that way.

And the do something with the "sequence" in merge order. I have a order xx43 and xx44, there has been merge into order xx45. But in the list are the xx45 between xx42 and xx43.......

anyway I feel we are speaking to wind, but it feels good........
  • LikeTheSunshine over 7 years ago

ROBDOLPHIN66

+1

SchusterBach
    anyway I feel we are speaking to wind, but it feels good........

Why are you always so negative? The staff are listening to comments and opinions and doing their best to improve the site and the marketplace, I for one am grateful for that...

LikeTheSunshine
    Why are you always so negative? The staff are listening to comments and opinions and doing their best to improve the site and the marketplace, I for one am grateful for that...

I appreciate their efforts, but it's pretty frustrating that something as simple and essential as having all order messages in one place wouldn't be on their agenda when sellers have been repeatedly requesting it for more than 4 years now. The second post on the thread announcing merging orders as a new feature is someone asking if there is "any way to merge and keep the narrative from the other orders."

http://www.discogs.com/forum/thread/52150b3994697336111c1fa9#52150b3994697336111c1f63

All-Day
    I appreciate their efforts, but it's pretty frustrating that something as simple and essential as having all order messages in one place wouldn't be on their agenda when sellers have been repeatedly requesting it for more than 4 years now. The second post on the thread announcing merging orders as a new feature is someone asking if there is "any way to merge and keep the narrative from the other orders."

http://www.discogs.com/forum/thread/52150b3994697336111c1fa9#52150b3994697336111c1f63

And I appreciate your frustration, but I endure the same problem and I don't really think it's "essential" to have the history in the merged order - it definitely makes more sense and would be more efficient but as it stands now it just means a couple of extra clicks on the mouse. There are definitely more pressing matters at hand IMO, like fixing the search engine or curbing the wantlist spammers...

LikeTheSunshine
    more pressing matters at hand IMO, like fixing the search engine or curbing the wantlist spammers

What's to fix when they work just fine with...
    LikeTheSunshine
    a couple of extra clicks on the mouse

XD

Lixx
    I miss how many days ago it was shipped out that used to be bolded on the order page. Please bring that back it was so helpful when calculating how many days it has been since shipped!

+1

It's there for messages but not for order status updates. Is it possible antolen to have both the accurate date/time and the time elapsed for status updates as well?

LikeTheSunshine
    There are definitely more pressing matters at hand IMO, like fixing the search engine or curbing the wantlist spammers...

I agree, but management have shown little appetite for fixing those over years and years.

And whether it was necessary or needed or not, they are working on an order page change at the moment.

There is not much point in merging orders at all or having the facility if you have to refer back to the original ones.

I wholeheartedly welcome the beta testing and the involvement of staff in the forums, but if they do not (appear to) listen to users then it is more infuriating than us not being involved in the process at all.

copy & paste the old order numbers, a few clicks — that's fine if you're a seller who is only dealing with a few orders at a time, but for higher-volume sellers who have multiple people interacting with the orders pages, shipping, invoicing, answering questions from buyers, etc. — having messages spread across mulitple orders is a very serious and longstanding flaw.

ROBDOLPHIN66
    I agree, but management have shown little appetite for fixing those over years and years.

Yes, sad but true...

ROBDOLPHIN66
    There is not much point in merging orders at all or having the facility if you have to refer back to the original ones.

I agree to an extent, but I think the merge function still makes sense for consolidating offers/orders and for (ultimately) keeping all subsequent correspondence within one order.

All-Day
    that's fine if you're a seller who is only dealing with a few orders at a time, but for higher-volume sellers who have multiple people interacting with the orders pages, shipping, invoicing, answering questions from buyers, etc. — having messages spread across mulitple orders is a very serious and longstanding flaw.

That sounds rather chaotic, but you're right - I deal with all my orders myself which means I have complete control over everything, hence I don't see it as a "serious flaw" but I appreciate how it may be more challenging for sellers who involve multiple people to deal with their orders.

• stevies45s over 7 years ago

I'm using the new timeline. I did notice that in the print view, it's still showing my private comments. That continues to make the print view unusable as a packing slip (unless I delete out the private comments first).

All-Day
    I appreciate their efforts, but it's pretty frustrating that something as simple and essential as having all order messages in one place wouldn't be on their agenda when sellers have been repeatedly requesting it for more than 4 years now.

The issue generated a lot of discussion internally about adding previous messages to the order page. We are not disregarding the issue and understand your concerns. In the short term we don't have the plans to implement it, there are technical issues that we have to evaluate before making such change.

devonites
    It's there for messages but not for order status updates. Is it possible antolen to have both the accurate date/time and the time elapsed for status updates as well?

Yes, we are going to implement a different design for the timestamps that show date and time elapsed for both.

stevies45s
    'm using the new timeline. I did notice that in the print view, it's still showing my private comments. That continues to make the print view unusable as a packing slip (unless I delete out the private comments first).

We plan to release a feature that will allow users to toggle private comments on the order print page, but it's not related to the timeline and will be released in the next few weeks.

Wait a minute, what's wrong with having the timestamp in bold next to the screen names?! It looks terrible now, all grey and getting it the way of the messages on the right side.

We have just deployed a round of changes to the timeline.

- Improved Payment Pending status description wording for seller.
    - Changed shipping price event wording, now it says "set shipping price to $x.xx".
    - Fixed a bug with Buyer Contacted status
    - Reduced order status table cell width on Orders and Purchases pages. This should fix some of the issues nerdfly had.
    - Moved the timestamp for events and messages.

Let us know if you have any feedback regarding the changes.

Or at least put a line break between where the messages start and the screen name and timestamp.

And on the manage orders page, can't the icons be centered above the order status name instead of next to?

1) " SchusterBach changed the order status to Payment Pending" -> No I have not... according to the mail notification is it -> Buyer changed status from "Invoice Sent" to "Payment Pending".
    2) "Invoice sent" is still missing in the order line, but it's in the log line
    3) Selected payment option is still not on the order page
    4) Timestamp looking must better now.

Looking good. Any reason why the icons in the status column https://www.discogs.com/sell/orders don't follow the same colour coding as within individual order pages (blue-invoice sent, mustard-payment received, gree-shipped etc.) ?
  • stevies45s over 7 years ago

SchusterBach
    1) " SchusterBach changed the order status to Payment Pending" -> No I have not... according to the mail notification is it -> Buyer changed status from "Invoice Sent" to "Payment Pending".

I endorse these concerns. Because of these things, the page feels incomplete.

I think that looks great. Moving the date to the right is a great idea. Events/messages are really easy to read now and both the accurate time/date and time elapsed are there if you want to read it.

antolen
    Changed shipping price event wording, now it says "set shipping price to $x.xx"

That's better than my suggestion.

Ummm, how about instead of this:
    http://s5.postimg.org/4nsv6616f/screen1.jpg

Change to this:
    http://s5.postimg.org/wdpg73q0n/screen2.jpg
    (I don't see the problem with where the timestampe was located before and bolded.)

Or even this:
    http://s5.postimg.org/l02wvwfhz/screen3.jpg

Because the time stamp is right on top of my messages as you see in the first screen grab or if the message are long and not just a short sentence.

Tokeowave
    Change to this:

Tokeowave
    Or even this:

I prefer it the way it is. The events/messages are easily read straight down in a line, uncluttered by date & time and the chronology is there on the right, also straight down in a line and easy to read. Does it matter if a long message wraps around it?

devonites
    I prefer it the way it is. The events/messages are easily read straight down in a line, uncluttered by date & time and the chronology is there on the right, also straight down in a line and easy to read. Does it matter if a long message wraps around it?

On my browser it looks cluttered. Don't know about yours. And I disagree that it is easier to read the way it is now. Everything was on the left before and in one area. Your eye balls stay on one side. Now, to see the time stamp? Gotta look across to the right. It might not sound like a big thing to you but not all of us has small screens either. My 2 cents.

It looks the same as in your screen shots. It's all a matter of opinion. I just prefer it far right, timestamp under the date/time. To me, your screen shot suggestions look cluttered. No offence, just giving the staff my personal opinion.

devonites
    giving the staff my personal opinion.

Same as I am doing.

antolen
    The issue generated a lot of discussion internally about adding previous messages to the order page. We are not disregarding the issue and understand your concerns. In the short term we don't have the plans to implement it, there are technical issues that we have to evaluate before making such change.

great, thank you. I understand that this issue probably predates the time that most discogs developers have been on staff here, so it may not have been on your radar.

Is it also possible to display the original listed price as well as the accepted offer price on the order pages of accepted offers?

LikeTheSunshine
    Is it also possible to display the original listed price as well as the accepted offer price on the order pages of accepted offers?

Agree, that is a good one.

But also complete the unfinished work with "accept offer" and the "shipping calculator", so a invoice will be invoke automatic to the buyer, if a offer has been accepted.

SchusterBach

We are looking into some of those issues. As for payment option, it will only be available in the email for now.

Tokeowave
    Because the time stamp is right on top of my messages as you see in the first screen grab or if the message are long and not just a short sentence.

We got a fix coming up for that issue. Thanks for creating the mock ups!

LikeTheSunshine

It would be a cool feature but we are currently looking for feedback relating to the timeline, not the order page itself.
  • slur over 7 years ago

Just a quick thought - not sure if mentioned before - Could "Feedback received / Feedback left" also be included in the timeline to underline the helpful function this is, at least in most cases ?
  • psil0777 over 7 years ago

psil0777 edited over 7 years ago
    antolen
    SchusterBach1) " SchusterBach changed the order status to Payment Pending" -> No I have not... according to the mail notification is it -> Buyer changed status from "Invoice Sent" to "Payment Pending".
    We are looking into some of those issues. As for payment option, it will only be available in the email for now.

TokeowaveBecause the time stamp is right on top of my messages as you see in the first screen grab or if the message are long and not just a short sentence.
    We got a fix coming up for that issue. Thanks for creating the mock ups!

LikeTheSunshineIs it also possible to display the original listed price as well as the accepted offer price on the order pages of accepted offers?
    It would be a cool feature but we are currently looking for feedback relating to the timeline, not the order page itself.

I informed staff of payments 2 months ago as they didn't know why buyers don't get "pay now" invoice emails via Paypal and why there's Discogs %8 fee + Paypal %4 fee for seller .
    Answer from Paypal :
    "-Dear xxxxxxxx,
    Thank you for contacting PayPal regarding fees applied in your payments.
    I have received your email and am sorry if our previous email didn't clarify your question.
    I have reviewed your payment sent to [email protected] and can see that the fees applied as regarding the currency exchange applied. Please note that your cards added in this account are in EUR. All the payments sent to this seller are in USD.

We need to convert the money from EUR to USD, and a currency exchange fee applied to all the payment sent in different currencies.

When your transaction involves a currency conversion, PayPal provides you with a choice of whether PayPal does the currency conversion or the credit card associations do the currency conversion for your transactions.

If PayPal performs your currency conversion, we disclose the conversion rate to you at the time of the transaction. If you choose not to use the MasterCard and Visa currency conversion process, you will have no recourse against MasterCard and Visa with respect to any matter related to the conversion.

If you choose to use the credit card association's currency conversion procedures, PayPal is not able to disclose the conversion rate to you. Your card issuer will determine the foreign exchange rate to apply to the transaction, and you will not be informed of the foreign exchange rate or any additional foreign exchange fees applied until you are billed by your card issuer.
    Yours sincerely,
    xxxxxxx
    PayPal
    PayPal (Europe) S.à r.l. et Cie, S.C.A. "

Short version - change currency to US bucks to avoid double fees and also buyer gets invoice to his/her email.
    If buyers/sellers bank account is non-US confirmed on Paypal then seller has still pay overall %12 double-fee as Discogs is US- based site so all non-US confirmed Paypal acco owners have to pay this double-fee.
    I'm Finnish seller and my Paypal is US-confirmed as I have sold few hundred items at eBay so I got automatically US-confirmed bank-acco for Paypal though my bank is Finnish not US..
    As far as I know sellers/buyers get US-confirmed Paypal by selling and buying at eBay.com (not fex eBay.uk, it must be eBay.com ) . Currency must be US-bucks also at eBay otherwise sellers have still pay double-fee cos of currency conversion .

Additionally order timeline works with no probs at all as currency is US-bucks

slur
    Just a quick thought - not sure if mentioned before - Could "Feedback received / Feedback left" also be included in the timeline

SchusterBach
    New order -> Invoice Sent -> Payment Pending -> Payment Received -> Shipped -> Feedback Left (Confirm item is received)

• johndarrellhart over 7 years ago

NessFan
    Today, we are releasing the Order Timeline Beta! This is an exciting step forward for providing clarity on the order status page for our community. The new Order Timeline will better indicate which phase of the order process you’ve reached during the buying and selling process.

The Beta is opt-in only, so if you so choose to opt-out, we will honor that request until we are ready for a full release.

Post any kudos or suggestions you may have regarding the new Order Timeline feature. Please feel free to us know what is or isn’t working for you and why. As always, we welcome your feedback!

• johndarrellhart over 7 years ago

NessFan

lhi discogs staff communications is key to transactions [and life itself; youhave failed to respond to my last important e mails] iwelcome your review of timelines,but these mustbe rigidly set to speed up transactions i. e. iplaced an order on the 9th [stating my shipping requirements in you nice little box,did iget an invoice posted to me so i can pay , nope an e mail from seller asking for my shippig preferance!]i responded with two emails ,seller has not replied and you are still showing : buyer contacted 4 days later.
  • psil0777 over 7 years ago

johndarrellhart
    NessFanToday, we are releasing the Order Timeline Beta! This is an exciting step forward for providing clarity on the order status page for our community. The new Order Timeline will better indicate which phase of the order process you’ve reached during the buying and selling process.

Change currency to US-bucks everything works just fine.

johndarrellhart
    i responded with two emails ,seller has not replied and you are still showing : buyer contacted 4 days later.

This sounds like a buyer / seller issue to me, ie nothing to do with staff.

I've just been asked by a buyer to remove an item from their order, the first time this has happened since using the Timeline Beta.

The description in the timeline states "devon_ites removed Item #xxxxxxxx". Would be a lot clearer if it said the name of the artist/title instead.
  • kawayama over 7 years ago

i like the new timeline layout, but
    could we please have 24 hour time in the timestamp, instead of 12 hour time?
    as an option?
    AM/PM time is confusing!

kawayama
    AM/PM time is confusing!

For reference until they add the option, AM is before midday, PM is after midday. Look at it alphabetically so AM comes first and PM comes second.