• EdDiekman over 6 years ago

I recently had a sale ($3) where the buyer wanted media with a tracking number. Our local PO said only first class gets a free tracking number. I found 2 recent receipts which said "Media Mail" and had tracking numbers. I called to talk to a supervisor and got the same reply as the postal clerk. In either case, I would have to drive to the PO which takes a gallon of gas. Normally I can ship it from home with stamps. I have never had a problem in 2 years. I wanted to change my media mail to $5 if a tracking number is required by the buyer or my current charge of $3 if no tracking is needed. I have been unable to add this info in the shipping section. Any ideas?
  • spinalflow over 6 years ago

Print postage through paypal $3.22 for media mail with tracking. or print through USPS
  • Tokeowave over 6 years ago

You can buy media mail postage with tracking online at PayPal for about 3 bucks. They charge for tracking for media mail but it's a small amount (23 cents or something like that) and it's not a new rule. They've always charge for it because it is a cheaper shipping method than Priority or First Class.

You can go to your settings page to change seller terms and shipping calculator if that's what you want to do.

That was supposed to be a two part comment. The new rule concerns anything that weighs more than 13 oz. has to be declared as non hazardous. I had mailed 1 album which was returned the next day with a note saying it was more than 13oz. A trip to the PO to sign a declaration that it was not hazardous. I will look into the suggestions mentioned.I have two receipts -1 for media at 2.72 and 1 for first class at 2.74.
  • JerseyPicked over 6 years ago

http://www.stamps.com/whitepapers/2015-usps-postage-rate-increase-guide.pdf

"Starting on May 31, 2015, there will be no charge to track USPS Media Mail packages".

I can confirm that all packages I have sent Media Mail since then have automatically included tracking.
  • tradewind over 6 years ago

JerseyPicked

"Starting on May 31, 2015, there will be no charge to track USPS Media Mail packages".

I can confirm that all packages I have sent Media Mail since then have automatically included tracking.

+1
  • cellularsmoke over 6 years ago

Your post office sucks and needs to get with regulations. Media Mail now comes with tracking for free.

The non-hazardous 13oz thing just sounds like they're jerking you around to jerk you around.
  • Diognes_The_Fox over 6 years ago

cellularsmoke
    Your post office sucks and needs to get with regulations. Media Mail now comes with tracking for free.

The non-hazardous 13oz thing just sounds like they're jerking you around to jerk you around.

Yeah. I've never had those issues before. Sounds fishy.

It must be my branch.
  • DJMONEYMIKE29 over 6 years ago

JerseyPicked

+1
    Ship daily with MM- 1 LP is $2.72 (to US address, depending on packaging- mine are 15 oz) and includes free tracking. Same price from PP or PO in person.
    Your PO is either- severely out of touch or severely lazy. Probably both LOL.
  • Tokeowave over 6 years ago

On PayPal, they itemize the tracking fee + postage = $2.72.
  • slamx over 6 years ago

Another question about media mail. My post office emphasizes no advertising or anything but the record or book can be included. No note to buyer, they went so far as to say inner sleeves that listed records for sale were not OK. And denied my mailing a book about collectible vintage ads. Do they really ever open these boxes to check?
  • massenmedium over 6 years ago

I bet if they did those examples wouldn't be prohibited. Just don't tell the over zealous counter staff...

I doubt they would open it, but you never know. I think I would keep it to myself.
  • EarDrops over 6 years ago

I agree, you have run into overzealous USPS retail counter clerks.
    See bolded sentence below. Company inner sleeves printed with LPs available are perfectly acceptable.

Copied from USPS website

Media Mail® service has special eligibility requirements for permissible contents. Media Mail rates are limited to the items listed below:
    Books (at least 8 pages).
    Sound recordings and video recordings, such as CDs and DVDs.
    Playscripts and manuscripts for books, periodicals, and music.
    Printed music.
    Computer-readable media containing prerecorded information and guides or scripts prepared solely for use with such media.
    Sixteen millimeter or narrower width films.
    Printed objective test materials and their accessories.
    Printed educational reference charts.
    Loose-leaf pages and their binders consisting of medical information for distribution to doctors, hospitals, medical schools, and medical students.

Media Mail Packages may not contain advertising except that books may contain incidental announcements of other books and sound recordings may contain incidental announcements of other sound recordings. In accordance with standards in the Mailing Standards of the United States Postal Service, Domestic Mail Manual (DMM 300) 173.3.2, Media Mail Packages are subject to inspection by the Postal Service™. Upon such inspection, matter not eligible for the Media Mail rate may be assessed at the proper rate and sent to the recipient postage due, or the sender may be contacted for additional postage (DMM 604.8.1).

For more information about Media Mail service, please visit www.usps.com or call 1-800-ASK-USPS (1-800-275-8777). Complete explanations of qualified items may be found in DMM 173.3.2.
  • Laffnmules_Lode over 6 years ago

Post Offices have to meet a daily quota of Media Mail parcels that are opened for inspection.

• slamx over 6 years ago

I was finally told that I could add anything to a media mail package (note, photos, whatever) as long as I added extra first class postage for those items. IE if I enclose say 2 flyers and a photo that weigh 1 ounce I can add 49 cents to the total on the shipping label or put a 49 cent stamp in addition to the label. Another interesting mail oddity, if you go to the counter to mail an envelope that does not meat the will not bend test they require you to pay package rates. However if you use stamps or USPS online shipping you merely need to pay an extra non machine cancel fee which is around 20 cents.