• tricky23 over 7 years ago

thanks letting me know but @ moment i was busy @ site, where can i find the text now after had no other option than click "agree"?
    this was not mint.

thank you
  • mrformic over 7 years ago

Urghhh...no other choice then clicking "I accept", no info upfront and what is new ? Difference to old policy ???
    Bad communication for my taste.
  • cellularsmoke over 7 years ago

I like the part about Mental Identity...
  • NessFan over 7 years ago

tricky23
    where can i find the text now after had no other option than click "agree"?

Here's the link to our Privacy Policy. You can always search our Help Center here for any site documents. We also have links found in the footer on every Discogs page for your convenience.

Thanks!
  • SignalsFromAbove over 7 years ago

Is something "big" going to happen?... The word "google" falls kind of often in the New Privacy Policy agreement.
  • Jayfive over 7 years ago

SignalsFromAbove
    Is something "big" going to happen?... The word "google" falls kind of often in the New Privacy Policy agreement.

sigh...

No, discogs isnt being sold to google. Or microsoft. or apple. or amazon. or ebay. Or any other of the big companies that have been banded about as being discogs' potential sugar-daddy for like a decade now.

If you actually read the bits that the word 'google' appears it's just that Discogs uses Google-owned products for SEO, analytics, banner ads and the like. That's all it is.

NessFan
    Here's the link to our Privacy Policy. You can always search our Help Center here for any site documents. We also have links found in the footer on every Discogs page for your convenience.

Thanks!

I think you've omitted to answer the most important question here: what's actually changed?
  • F104G over 7 years ago

"You consent to Discogs’ ... disclosure of Your personal information, including ... username and password"

That's interesting!
  • SignalsFromAbove over 7 years ago

Jayfive
    Jayfive 3 minutes ago

ratzinger-z

sigh...

No, discogs isnt being sold to google. Or microsoft. or apple. or amazon. or ebay. Or any other of the big companies that have been banded about as being discogs' potential sugar-daddy for like a decade now.

If you actually read the bits that the word 'google' appears it's just that Discogs uses Google-owned products for SEO, analytics, banner ads and the like. That's all it is.

Wow!, thank god (or Mr. Jayfive - wich is probably the same dude...) to patiently explain the truth to us common mortals!
    You really know everything, do you?!... Very efficient, compliments!
  • velove over 7 years ago

NessFan

Thanks!

That answer was a bit lame. You are still a small company and can do better. You probably even meant well, but nope, didn't come across.

Jayfive
    I think you've omitted to answer the most important question here: what's actually changed?
  • seveninch over 7 years ago

velove
    That answer was a bit lame.

It was exactly what the original post asked for. How is that lame?

Jayfive
    what's actually changed?

This would be nice to know. But not really necessary if you read the privacy policy. It's not a complicated text.

seveninch
    It was exactly what the original post asked for. How is that lame?

the original post also expressed unhappiness about the fact that he was forced to just accept it. without even being able to be presented with a link for later review.

And first comment said the same.
    mrformic
    Urghhh...no other choice then clicking "I accept", no info upfront and what is new ? Difference to old policy ???
    Bad communication for my taste.

it's just that privacy is something important and I'd expect better from discogs.

seveninch
    This would be nice to know. But not really necessary if you read the privacy policy. It's not a complicated text.

if it's not a complicated text, then pointing out the difference would be even simpler.
  • TheTurtle over 7 years ago

seveninch
    if you read the privacy policy

But it's so looong... I'll just trust them, they're in the US, so whatever policy they have on the issue will probably be overruled by some agency anyway.

In actuality, nothing about how we operate has changed - the document itself has been updated to be more comprehensive, explicit, and professional with how things have been working all along. Bonus! It's been reviewed by our lawyers.

Here is a quick breakdown of what is now included in the Privacy Policy, which was not included in the prior version:

* Expanded description of policies concerning personal information and legal minors;
    * Confirmations of compliance with the CAN-SPAM Act of 2003 (US) and Right To Be Forgotten legislation, as well as email access for DMCA review requests;
    * Clarifies that these policies apply to the sister sites (Gearogs, Filmo.gs, Biblio.gs, Comicogs, and VinylHub) as well as Discogs.com.

If you have any questions or concerns about the content in our Privacy Policy, you can contact us about this Policy via our support request form or at [email protected]

NessFan
    Here is a quick breakdown of what is now included in the Privacy Policy, which was not included in the prior version:

Thanks for the info and list of what's new. It's appreciated.

velove
    Thanks for the info and list of what's new. It's appreciated.

You're welcome! I'm happy to help.
  • ProgressiveIce over 7 years ago

I'd like some more details on this (I guess this is older, but I never noticed it): "Cookies may also provide information to Us about Your online interaction with other sites."
    Is this about Discogs images embedded in other sites? I can't really think of anything else concerning cookies (assuming you don't actively inject "clear.gif" or something like that into other sites)...

ProgressiveIce
    I'd like some more details on this: "Cookies may also provide information to Us about Your online interaction with other sites."

For more information on how Discogs uses cookies, please review our Cookie Policy here. I hope that helps!

NessFan
    For more information on how Discogs uses cookies, please review our Cookie Policy here. I hope that helps!

Yes, I'm aware of the cookie policy. However, as far as I can see, it doesn't mention anything about collecting "information ... about your online interaction with other sites". There is also a separate bullet point about third-party services (such as Google Analytics) in the privacy policy, so I'd assume that this part refers to *.discogs.com cookies, not external systems...
  • WillieBob over 7 years ago

I wanted to click No Thanks, but that option didn't appear to be there. In the spur of the moment it appeared to be that you either agreed or lost access to your account. And we pay for this lol
  • avalon67 over 7 years ago

WillieBob
    I wanted to click No Thanks, but that option didn't appear to be there. In the spur of the moment it appeared to be that you either agreed or lost access to your account. And we pay for this lol

You don't pay to use the site, you pay a % on any sales you make using the site's facilities. There's a difference.
  • OLDFRIENDSFORSALE over 7 years ago

please explain for what do you need to know my:
    discogs
    ... physical, physiological, mental, economic, cultural or social identity

?

or:

discogs
    provide information to Us about Your online interaction with other sites.
    for what you need to know on how i travel from Kiribati to Palau, how i cook pasta or what books i read?

Again, if you have any questions or concerns about the content in our Privacy Policy, you can contact us about this Policy via our support request form or at [email protected] .
  • juandaca over 7 years ago

NessFan
    Again, if you have any questions or concerns about the content in our Privacy Policy, you can contact us about this Policy via our support request form or at [email protected] .

I can't see why explanations that are of general interest to all Discogs users must be given only individually to each single Discogs user (and privately, which sounds quite like sarcasm).

juandaca
    I can't see why explanations that are of general interest to all Discogs users must be given only individually to each single Discogs user (and privately, which sounds quite like sarcasm).
    + 1
  • 9228289 over 7 years ago

juandaca
    I can't see why explanations that are of general interest to all Discogs users must be given only individually to each single Discogs user

+1
    I follow this thread to get further information - there is no need to lock this topic this way
  • WillieBob over 7 years ago

NessFan

Not until they've clicked "accept" they can't.
  • uzumaki over 7 years ago

Discogs, the only website in the world where users actually read the privacy policy ...
  • bobbley over 7 years ago

uzumaki
    Discogs, the only website in the world where users actually read the privacy policy ...

...we care about the detail, which is why we're all good database moderators ;-)

Regarding the line in the Privacy Policy which refers to collecting "information ... about your online interaction with other sites":

Discogs itself does not solicit or seek out that particular data. However, we cannot control the data that you choose to share with us or the community - someone in Germany may identify the town / etc they live in during a discussion with another user in a private message, in a public forum or Group, or even in a private Group. That information then gets documented in the Discogs logs, and may become available to other users browsing the site, and so on.

So we are obliged to provide notice to everyone who uses the site that information they volunteer may be stored and become available, publicly, to other parties - but again, Discogs has no active role here. We do not intentionally collect this kind of information, and we do not intentionally share this information with other parties, and certainly never sell or trade it with other parties. It simply remains possible for other users and visitors to the site to potentially see that information.

I hope this helps!

NessFan
    a discussion with another user in a private message...gets documented in the Discogs logs, and may become available to other users browsing the site

...ermmmmmmmm - that don't seem right?

bobbley
    ...ermmmmmmmm - that don't seem right?

That does seem like some confusing phrasing after re-reading it here. Hopefully, I can clarify. All this means is that, for example, for the forum to function, we have to handle whatever text you choose to submit so that we can save it to the forum thread. When you post to public forums, other users can see what you posted. Does that make more sense?

NessFan
    When you post to public forums, other users can see what you posted

of course.
    NessFan
    Does that make more sense?

yes...

...but still doesn't answer my question in your wording how private message exchanges can become public knowledge??

bobbley
    how private message exchanges can become public knowledge??

No way; your PMs can only be seen by the people you send them to, they are not made public in any way, whatsoever.
  • edovan over 7 years ago

PMs could become public if one of the two users choose to publish them in the forum, more or less censored from personal details. It's happened before and will happen again, and I fully understand that Discogs can't (or want to) prevent such things to happen.
  • BobC44 over 7 years ago

I accept that Discogs has to store and share our data with other users, that is how the site works. The privacy policy also goes on to say that Discogs will share that data with other sites managed by the same group that owns Discogs, that's hardly a privacy policy, more a sharing policy, no?

for what do you need to know (how does it help you if you know) my:
    discogs
    ... physical, physiological, mental, economic, cultural or social identity

?

means:

for what do you need to know that i
    have only one kidney?
    have one green eye?
    am multiple personality?
    have USD 7.779.311 on my bank account?
    have mixed Egyptian & Inuit parents and my skin i like cappuccino?
    organized for my 55th birthday a party for my 319 friends?

it does not help you in any manner, it's no benefit to the database, nor marketplace

= you don't need to know anything of that ;-)

and for what you need to
    share that data with other sites
    ¿ ?

Jayfive edited over 7 years ago
    SignalsFromAbove
    Wow!, thank god (or Mr. Jayfive - wich is probably the same dude...) to patiently explain the truth to us common mortals!
    You really know everything, do you?!... Very efficient, compliments!

Yeah be snarky at me because you didnt read something properly and pulled some conspiracy theory out of your backside. Grow up FFS.

You seem to have also missed the point that we can do without scaremongering that this place is being bought by some megalithic corporation.
  • avalon67 over 7 years ago

Jayfive
    this place is being bought by some megalithic corporation.

There it is folks!
    And he's the man that knows!!

But seriously....and don't bother to argue as I won't reply.... Discogs is a business, do you really expect them to not adopt working practices employed by just about every other internet based business in the world?
    Some people seem to think it's a co-operative, that we're all shareholders, that we're entitled to know the inner workings because it's all about peace and love, the music maaan.☮
    Well so was Virgin Records when it started, before them island Records. But they've grown up, realised that they need to function like a business or fade away/crash spectacularly.

Errr[/rant]
  • uzumaki over 7 years ago

Exactly, it's normal privacy policy legal language, nothing sinister and nothing unusual, it's routine compliance with laws and regulations and CYA. It is odd that replies in this thread about the way it has been implemented have been deleted though, Discogs hasn't grown up just yet.
  • Diognes_The_Fox over 7 years ago

BobC44
    The privacy policy also goes on to say that Discogs will share that data with other sites managed by the same group that owns Discogs, that's hardly a privacy policy, more a sharing policy, no?

Your log-in works with vinylhub,gearogs, etc.. Maybe other stuff too down the line. Nothing sinister.
  • Diognes_The_Fox over 7 years ago

avalon67
    But seriously....and don't bother to argue as I won't reply.... Discogs is a business, do you really expect them to not adopt working practices employed by just about every other internet based business in the world?

There's a lot of government legal compliance stuff we gotta adhere to, too.
  • BobC44 over 7 years ago

Diognes_The_Fox
    Your log-in works with vinylhub,gearogs, etc.. Maybe other stuff too down the line. Nothing sinister.

thanks for the explanation, it all looks a lot worse when written down in legalese language. :)
  • AmigaMan over 7 years ago

so you've really been bought out by a pissant little company that can ill afford the cost and knows nothing about the laws of other countries... Discogs will be asset stripped and all us users will be spammed misleading emails telling us to buy Vinalagra© to keep our records stiff and upright... :o) jk

sounds like a normal day at the office to me, but I don't envy anyone doing the legalese in any country's law system.

personally I think you guys are doing a great job, I regularly visit the site and have personally introduced a dozen new people to it who were unaware such a vast resource was freely available to them.

Thanks Discogs
  • drivebybird over 7 years ago

AmigaMan
    I regularly visit the site and have personally introduced a dozen new people to it who were unaware such a vast resource was freely available to them.

Thanks Discogs

Thank YOU for being a part of our community! Honestly, we know that updates like this can be frustrating, you're right that legal policy changes aren't anyone's idea of a fun time, but needs as needs must. We appreciate everyone for hanging in there and for the folks dialoging productively here!
  • fecklessscrounger over 7 years ago

Data is the new oil, and thanks to its millions of contributors discogs now has lots of valuable music and personal data for sale, of course they're gonna profiteer from it.

fecklessscrounger
    Data is the new oil, and thanks to its millions of contributors discogs now has lots of valuable music and personal data for sale, of course they're gonna profiteer from it.

I apologize if there's been any confusion here! It's important to us at Discogs that you know we do not sell your information to third parties, nor do we provide it to third parties for any direct marketing or advertising purposes. You can read the full Disclosure section of the Privacy Policy for further details.
  • bassbambino over 7 years ago

bassbambino edited over 7 years ago
    NessFan
    Regarding the line in the Privacy Policy which refers to collecting "information ... about your online interaction with other sites":

Discogs itself does not solicit or seek out that particular data. However, we cannot control the data that you choose to share with us or the community - someone in Germany may identify the town / etc they live in during a discussion with another user in a private message, in a public forum or Group, or even in a private Group. That information then gets documented in the Discogs logs, and may become available to other users browsing the site, and so on.

Still not exactly sure what that has to do with cookies or other sites per se, since the full line is "Cookies may also provide information to Us about Your online interaction with other sites" and what is described in the quote above regarding forum usage is mostly covered in a different section of the policy. Unless the forums are considered 'other sites'. It's not very clear from the policy if that's the case.

Public Groups & Forums

Information You post to the public areas of the Services (groups / forums / searchable database) is not private, and is not protected under this Policy. Please exercise caution when disclosing Your information in these areas. You acknowledge that others not covered by this Policy will have access to your public postings and We cannot be responsible for any subsequent use of data contained in your public postings.

NessFan

Thanks, but everything you mentioned (private messages, forum posts, group posts) are interactions with this site (discogs.com, or one of the other sites in your "network") not with "other sites".

Edit: ... and now I see that bassbambino already mentioned that. :-)

bassbambino and ProgressiveIce, regarding "Cookies may also provide information to Us about Your online interaction with other sites":

We use Google Analytics to collect anonymous site usage statistics. One thing that Google Analytics can tell us about Discogs site visitors is where our site traffic is coming from (our email links, Facebook posts, organic Google searches, etc.).
  • tsivihcra over 7 years ago

NessFan
    We use Google Analytics to collect anonymous site usage statistics. One thing that Google Analytics can tell us about Discogs site visitors is where our site traffic is coming from (our email links, Facebook posts, organic Google searches, etc.).

Do these analytics also tell you which site we were on prior to visiting and which site we visited upon leaving?

tsivihcra
    Do these analytics also tell you which site we were on prior to visiting

No, it's all anonymous; we can see how many visitors came to Discogs from links on other sites to Discogs (like links we post on our Discogs Facebook page or when we appear in a Google search result). It tells us where visitors have come from in general, but it does not specify which visitors.
    Example: We can see that "x% of visitors came to Discogs from a Facebook post", but we can't see "User1, User2, and User3 came to Discogs from a Facebook post".

tsivihcra
    and which site we visited upon leaving?

Google Analytics cannot track or tell us where visitors go after leaving Discogs at all, not by numbers, not by anything. We can only track the popularity of coming to Discogs from sources that link to us.
  • tsivihcra over 7 years ago

Many thanks. Keep up the good work.

Thanks, tsivihcra, and same to you!

Thanks, NessFan.
    Is a click on a Discogs link on another site an interaction with that site though? I'd say no, especially because that click usually won't contact the original site's server at all (except on Google, Facebook, and a few other pages, which tunnel all external links through their servers to collect more data).
    Furthermore, cookies are hardly relevant for this, since you get the exact same information – in much more detail, actually, and without any anonymisation (assuming that Google actually anonymises the data collected through Analytics; I have my doubts) – if you analyse the referrers directly on your servers... In fact, that might be exactly what Google Analytics does: send document.referrer to the Google servers.