• aasaxell over 4 years ago

\o/

wake up the rankhunters...
  • Gundozer over 4 years ago

what is.....it. OH Thanks...not sure what spars is and all. Good luck ya all ! I think this is a good thing.

The guidelines does not seem to have been updated -so old info there.
    https://www.discogs.com/help/doc/submission-guidelines-release-barcode
  • Hubor72 over 4 years ago

unbelievable. :)
  • orjanbirkus over 4 years ago

aasaxell
    BaOI dropdown has been updated

Amazing!

aasaxell

Will only update my own subs, I think.
    Too much work to go through all contributions...
  • chn74 over 4 years ago

Gundozer
    I think this is a good thing

It sure is. Those new fields are a welcome addition.
    Was this announced / discussed / imposed somewhere here in the forum?
  • avalon67 over 4 years ago

aasaxell
    \o/

An honourable man, could have made merry with this hitherto unknown information.
    Do you have a secret line to STAFF ;-)
  • loukash over 4 years ago

aasaxell

Especially those busy bees who are to here to adjust the data by following the exact dropdown menu items order. :P
  • narcisco over 4 years ago

Nice addition. Makes sense to add these.
    ISBN would have been nice as well .
  • typoman2 over 4 years ago

narcisco

Of course … but hell, at least something has happened!
    Let's be thankful for that!
  • hmvh over 4 years ago

narcisco

Would've been more useful than SPARS, IMHO.

ISRCs are a curious addition since they apply to individual tracks only, not the entire release.

typoman2

I am grateful. :-)
    It's much better than having to use other for SPARS Code, etc
    It's just that I saw ISBN got suggested in a Baoi development thread and thought at the time that it would be a nice adddition. Now the drop down menu got updated I was curious if ISBN got added as well.
    Wanted to mention ISBN in case it was just forgotten.

hmvh
    Would've been more useful than SPARS, IMHO.

Think SPARS Code is a nice addition. Not the most important data maybe, but if it can and will be added in the Baoi, it's nice it's a ready made option.
  • Nordlichtnomade over 4 years ago

Nordlichtnomade edited over 4 years ago
    Great to see this update. But what the heck is 'Depósito Legal'?
    And yes, my setup language is set to English, even if this seems to be Spanish according my online translation tool.

I'm also curious how to use 'Pressing Plant ID'
  • DonHergeFan over 4 years ago

Nordlichtnomade
    But what the heck is 'Depósito Legal'?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Legal_deposit

Interesting to see 'Distribution Code'and 'Price Code'.
    Do we have a reliable source to keep apart distribution code and price code?
  • blackbookpress over 4 years ago

SO, these are great new additions. really happy to see them added, I do however, think that with that many choices in the drop down field, they should be listed in alphabetical order.

Also, not quite sure how to use the Plan id field? For an RCA Indianapolis pressing, would we Simply Put "I" as its taken from the runouts? Seeing that there is already a place for the actual plant, that would included the name Indianapolis, I would think "I" would be sufficient, 49 fore specialty ect.. thoughts?

DonHergeFan
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Legal_deposit

Thank you for the link.
    I never ran into this on Discogs before. So every day something new to learn..
  • valparaiso over 4 years ago

At last something new for the Database. Thank you to the team!
    I hope Guidelines will be updated soon with clear descriptions as I really don't know how to use ISRC and Pressing Plant ID.
  • baldorr over 4 years ago

Oh wow. I do use Depósito Legal a ton for Spanish releases, so that will be nice to have. I'm curious about the price code though - I recently started what turned out to be a long forum discussion about price codes and the problem was that these are oftentimes very ill-defined. I wish there was a guide to use to know exactly what they mean and why/how they were used in practice.

valparaiso
    I really don't know how to use ISRC and Pressing Plant ID.

Same here. I don't even know what ISRC is. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

aasaxell

Also - it's not a problem to go back through your previous submissions or contributions and "mass edit" these fields, is it? I'm always walking on eggshells around here because you never know when you'll step on a landmine.

baldorr
    I don't even know what ISRC is

You have a a large number of ISRC acronyms, but I guess this is the first one on this list: https://www.allacronyms.com/ISRC

> International Standard Recording Code
  • MusicNutter over 4 years ago

Was it ever determined what constitutes a price code versus a Distribution code
  • electronic_beat over 4 years ago

Too bad ISBN didn't make the cut.

What is the appropriate use of Distribution code when we already have Distributed By LCCN with ability to enter the code there? I went ahead and used it on a few of my submissions when it seemed reasonable (feel free to vote and leave comments), but the sooner the Guidelines are up the better.

Also, what is the proper use of Pressing Plant ID? Is that an old-timey vinyl only thing?

SPARS is useless but at least it's super easy to add.

Adding ISRC will be funny since it will apply to multiple pressings/releases but not necessarily multiple tracks on the same release.
  • Showbiz_Kid over 4 years ago

blackbookpress
    not quite sure how to use the Plan id field? For an RCA Indianapolis pressing, would we Simply Put "I" as its taken from the runouts? Seeing that there is already a place for the actual plant, that would included the name Indianapolis, I would think "I" would be sufficient, 49 fore specialty ect.. thoughts?

See here. Looks like we finally have a place to put all the U.S. Atlantic and Polygram codes that got printed on the label.
  • Mr-Love over 4 years ago

MusicNutter
    Was it ever determined what constitutes a price code versus a Distribution code

I was just thinking the same, that certainly would be useful...

Indeed shame about no ISBN.

electronic_beat
    SPARS is useless but at least it's super easy to add.

Many releases during late 80s early 90s had a SPARS code. It would help not having to include it to the BAOI as other or the notes.

Mr-Love
    MusicNutterWas it ever determined what constitutes a price code versus a Distribution code
    I was just thinking the same, that certainly would be useful...

Indeed shame about no ISBN.

Yeah. I hope Diognes_The_Fox can address this query.
  • brunorepublic over 4 years ago

Can "Pressing Plant ID" be used for cassette releases, given that they aren't pressed?
  • brunorepublic over 4 years ago

electronic_beat
    Also, what is the proper use of Pressing Plant ID? Is that an old-timey vinyl only thing?

Yes, some companies, notably the US branch of PolyGram and the Canadian branch of WEA, sometimes added short identifiers on the labels indicating to where the pressing was contracted out. But they also appear on cassettes too. I haven't seen them on CDs; most CDs have the manufacturer name in the matrix area anyway.
  • berothbr over 4 years ago

typoman2

Hooray!
    electronic_beat
    Also, what is the proper use of Pressing Plant ID?

I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure it was created in response to confusion about submissions like Bar-Kays - Freakshow On The Dance Floor (see Supreme Leader Diognes' post here) and is for whenever it's printed on the release and not part of the matrix#.
    I don't think it's format exclusive (I could be wrong, but I think there are CDs and tapes with similar printed identifiers).
    Nordlichtnomade

I think the real question is whether it's intended to be exclusively for EU/UK price 'codes' (which I know less than nothing about BTW) and/or other price 'codes' like MSRP. My immediate assumption were releases with the MSRP printed on the spine, but now I'm not so sure. FWIW: MSRP examples:
    Various - Super Disco Brake's (Volume Three) (upper right corner)
    Donald Byrd - Stepping Into Tomorrow (integrated into the cat# on the spine)
    Chilly - For Your Love (it looks like a fuzzy vertical white line in the lower right corner of the back cover image)

What about RCA release that had

UK: QB, G: RC:650 etc

many releases has it as Distribution Code, some as Price code?

How do we address those examples.
  • Diognes_The_Fox over 4 years ago

Diognes_The_Fox edited over 4 years ago
    MusicNutter
    Yeah. I hope Diognes_The_Fox can address this query.

I'm on vacation this week. :)

A support request would be more effective at the moment as I am not in the loop at the exact moment.

Ok, ok, hope it can be addressed soon

Diognes_The_Fox

Hopefully you find some good beach records!

Nordlichtnomade

TBH, I was kind of disappointed that my suggestion for a joint "Price/Distribution Code" wasn't used since I've yet to see a proper definition for a Distribution Code.
    "Price/Distribution Code" would have saved a lot of bickering...
  • hafler3o over 4 years ago

Let the great preference 'shuffle' begin!
  • jweijde over 4 years ago

jweijde edited over 4 years ago
    Nice to have new options, but...

1) What is "Pressing Plant ID" for ? It has been suggested that it's for Polygram-related releases like Bar-Kays - Freakshow On The Dance Floor that have a number printed on them indicating the pressing plant. Is it really for these specific cases only ? It's bound to cause confusion. Dont't we enter pressing plant ids as catalog numbers for the pressing plant too for example? If it's to be used for really specific cases only, then this should be made clear. One could even wonder if a tag is needed then.

2) When should we use "Price Code" and when "Distribution Code" ? As far as I remember there's no clear agreement about ids like "BM 240", "PM xxx" etc. I'm sure some people will enter this as "Distribution Code" and others will use "Price Code"

3) Since we have Deposito Legal, which is exclusive to Spanish releases, why not have "Batch ID" for Brazilian releases too ?

4) https://www.discogs.com/help/submission-guidelines-release-barcode.html needs to be updated.

Some kind of official announcement with some instructions would have been good too.

jweijde
    1) What is "Pressing Plant ID" for ? It has been suggested that it's for Polygram-related releases like Bar-Kays - Freakshow On The Dance Floor that have a number printed on them indicating the pressing plant. Is it really for these specific cases only ? It's bound to cause confusion. Dont't we enter pressing plant ids as catalog numbers for the pressing plant too for example? If it's to be used for really specific cases only, then this should be made clear. One could even wonder if a tag is needed then.

As mentioned by others, it's meant to be used for alphanumeric pressing plant identifiers found printed on the labels.
    This practice seems to be somewhat confined to the late 70s/early 80s.
    AFAIK, PolyGram-related labels as well as K-tel & A&M have used such codes... possibly others as well.

Example: https://www.discogs.com/release/5696426#images/12565612
    Note the "25" under the promo text on the left side. Here, 25 is PolyGram's ID number for Columbia's Santa Maria plant.
    All PolyGram-related releases pressed at Santa Maria during this time will likely have a "25" printed on the labels.

These do not belong in the LCCN as a "catalog number" since they are in no way sequential and are not unique for the release in question.
    Anything found in the runouts would still be entered as "Matrix / Runout"

And yes, a guideline update would be in order :)
  • T-Bar over 4 years ago

aasaxell
    These do not belong in the LCCN as a "catalog number" since they are in no way sequential and are not unique for the release in question.

+1 ^ It would have been better not included. The codes display, in any MR, in the FTF for the purpose of not opening the page to find out which copy (pressing plant version) is listed. It's only redundancy for that reason, and serves no real beneficial purpose.
  • dead_parrot over 4 years ago

electronic_beat
    What is the appropriate use of Distribution code when we already have Distributed By LCCN with ability to enter the code there?
    The codes shouldn't be entered as cat# in a Distributed By LCCN field, because they're not unique to a release, and will result in a mess on the Company page (see RSG §4.7.5.).
  • timhorton69 over 4 years ago

orjanbirkus
    aasaxell
    BaOI dropdown has been updated
    As if my life wasn't exciting enough...
  • ARPon over 4 years ago

Just discovered this new update. Thanks !

I would have liked to see also a new country field/option for "Made in". Is it planned ?
  • lbamaral over 4 years ago

jweijde
    What is "Pressing Plant ID" for

It seems that the option can widely be used in the identification of Brazilian CDs, were many cases of additional identification pages were created as companies, such as in SME Brasil, Novodisc BR, Novodisc (3), Microservice. Perhaps that they all can now be credited to the new field.

jweijde
    2) When should we use "Price Code" and when "Distribution Code" ? As far as I remember there's no clear agreement about ids like "BM 240", "PM xxx" etc. I'm sure some people will enter this as "Distribution Code" and others will use "Price Code"
    3) Since we have Deposito Legal, which is exclusive to Spanish releases, why not have "Batch ID" for Brazilian releases too ?

I'm seconding both your doubt - will Distribution Code be defined? - and your disappointment on Brazilian ABPD's Batch IDs not including on this update.

No good deed goes unpunished....

dead_parrot
    The codes shouldn't be entered as cat# in a Distributed By LCCN field, because they're not unique to a release, and will result in a mess on the Company page (see RSG §4.7.5).
    Thank you! Guess I have some updating to do, as I have seen (and emulated) that behavior (adding them to LCCN) a few times.

Also relevant, found via the above-linked Guideline: Distribution Codes wiki page.

ARPon
    I would have liked to see also a new country field/option for "Made in".

Totally agreed. That would be a nice additional feature to have.

Here is the recent thread we had about price codes. Not sure if this is 100% relevant to all cases, but it was an interesting discussion. Not sure how these new fields will affect how these should be entered in all cases though.

https://www.discogs.com/forum/thread/745219
  • Pheenixx over 4 years ago

baldorr
    Here is the recent thread we had about price codes. Not sure if this is 100% relevant to all cases, but it was an interesting discussion. Not sure how these new fields will affect how these should be entered in all cases though.

https://www.discogs.com/forum/thread/745219

Yep, in that topic, there's debate about whether the "Price Code" actually *is* one or not.
    So... Should we start using this now to catalogue all these "boxed" letters or not?

T-Bar
    The codes display, in any MR, in the FTF for the purpose of not opening the page to find out which copy (pressing plant version) is listed. It's only redundancy for that reason, and serves no real beneficial purpose.

If you follow the link to the quote from Diognes I posted above, you will see why we should avoid doing that and why it's not about redundancy, but rather something that belongs in the BaOI, not the FTF.

@ dead_parrot Sooo.... looks like RSG §4.7.5 doesn't always apply: Forum Thread #216497 regarding Indigo (2), with more links within to past discussion. Basically, it's a case by case basis depending on how things are displayed on the release and how each label/company treats these code as.

This means that some/most of the releases I had seen with Distributed By cat. no. were actually correct.
  • el_duro over 4 years ago

electronic_beat
    This means that some/most of the releases I had seen with Distributed By cat. no. were actually correct.

A distribution code such as "PM 620" (for BaOI) is not the same as a distributor specific catalog number (for LCCN), as used by Indigo (2) and EFA, among others.
  • Pheenixx over 4 years ago

Is there a link to a tutorial or similar about Distribution and Price codes? I can foresee loads of wrong info being added under these headings so would appreciate a grounding...

Pheenixx
    Is there a link to a tutorial or similar about Distribution and Price codes? I can foresee loads of wrong info being added under these headings so would appreciate a grounding...

For all the good that'll do. After all this time I still see people adding Matrix #s from U.S. Lp labels into BaOI as "Label Codes".
  • magnix over 4 years ago

And the first message about an updated release already popped up in my inbox where only 'Other' was changed into one of the new fields ...
  • punkergott over 4 years ago

Diognes_The_Fox

)-: envious

avalon67
    An honourable man, could have made merry with this hitherto unknown information.
    Do you have a secret line to STAFF ;-)

+1

aasaxell

+100
  • tele52 over 4 years ago

Thanks.
    Price/Distribution Code could be better, It is quite difficult to know which is for.
    Thank yo so much for Deposito Lega!!!! it is present in all Spanish release since mid-late 1950s.

Pheenixx
    Is there a link to a tutorial or similar about Distribution and Price codes?

This one for French Price/Distribution codes: https://www.discogs.com/forum/thread/706164
  • typoman2 over 4 years ago

magnix
    And the first message about an updated release already popped up in my inbox where only 'Other' was changed into one of the new fields ...

And of course I saw the first today where the SPARS Code was updated but other mistakes ignored … that's why I love mass edits so much …
  • EntePips over 4 years ago

hmvh
    ISRCs are a curious addition since they apply to individual tracks only, not the entire release.

Beethoven*, Swedish Chamber Orchestra*, Thomas Dausgaard - Coriolan Overture ∙ Symphonies Number 4 And 5

typoman2
    And of course I saw the first today where the SPARS Code was updated but other mistakes ignored … that's why I love mass edits so much …

So, serious question: Is it a bad idea to update one piece of information but ignore others? I asked above, but I'm planning on going back through my old submissions/contributions and fix some of these fields. In my case none of those should have any other open issues (I'm not going to go through at random and update this on any release I see). But I hope it's not a problem for someone to update one thing without fixing the entire submission. Or is it?

I like to say that Discogs is not a race. Any little improvements are good and should not be dismissed just because EVERYTHING was not fixed in one go.
  • hmvh over 4 years ago

EntePips
    Beethoven* – Swedish Chamber Orchestra*, Thomas Dausgaard - Coriolan Overture ∙ Symphonies Number 4 And 5

...or entire works (even if they're split into several movements, pieces or tracks).

baldorr
    So, serious question: Is it a bad idea to update one piece of information but ignore others?

Any correction made is a good update. Wilfully ignoring obvious mistakes you can fix, not so much.

hmvh
    Wilfully ignoring obvious mistakes you can fix, not so much.

I've always felt that the same would go for the people who comment on what changes need to be made. Why wouldn't they just fix the errors right then instead of commenting? Especially so with NMa/iC votes - If you feel strongly enough to vote Needs Changes then you know what needs to be fixed.

There are some updates that are difficult to make without having the copy in hand and so people will leave those changes for others and focus on the edits they can make. That doesn't mean they are ignoring those errors, just leaving them for someone who does feel confident making the changes.

hmvh
    Any correction made is a good update. Wilfully ignoring obvious mistakes you can fix, not so much.
    I did a few edits on items on my collection today and that was my methodology. Fixed a few warnings as I went along, but didn't stray too much on the items I don't physically have with me at the moment. Of the ones I do have with me right now, I think only two even had SPARS or a distribution code, so that was a wee disappointing.

baldorr
    Why wouldn't they just fix the errors right then instead of commenting?
    Sometimes they want more people to chime in order to get a small consensus, or are giving a user the chance to correct an imperfect edit. To me those are very reasonable circumstances.

As for others, ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

baldorr
    people who comment on what changes need to be made. Why wouldn't they just fix the errors right then instead of commenting?

^^^^This^^^^ sometimes irks me as well. And improper use of NMC is a real bug - I recently received an NMiC _and_ NMaC vote on the same sub, on which I happened to be the last editor, performing a fully discussed studio mass-edit. Instead of them fixing their problem, they gave me the goose.

But...

electronic_beat
    Sometimes they want more people to chime in order to get a small consensus, or are giving a user the chance to correct an imperfect edit.

Exactly. After a while, though, you know which users are using which style ;)

ISBN is on the way.

electronic_beat
    Sometimes they want more people to chime in order to get a small consensus, or are giving a user the chance to correct an imperfect edit.

Yeah, this makes perfect sense. But in the cases where it's not 100% certain what needs to change (if there's not a consensus yet), then there's no issue for someone fixing something unrelated and leaving the undecided changes as they are.

It's just that this example doesn't fit the case where someone gets angry with a user who's making quality edits to the database and gives them a NMC vote because they chose not to fix everything. Those are the cases that irk me and where I feel like the voter/commenter should just go ahead and make that change then.

baldorr
    So, serious question: Is it a bad idea to update one piece of information but ignore others?

Do the best you can. If there's something that can be quickly fixed while you're in there, go for it.

Votes are placed on submission quality. If I'm in a position where I can't fix a serious error, I'll tag my sub notes with NMC/FIX ME.

Showbiz_Kid
    ^^^^This^^^^ sometimes irks me as well. And improper use of NMC is a real bug - I recently received an NMiC _and_ NMaC vote on the same sub, on which I happened to be the last editor, performing a fully discussed studio mass-edit. Instead of them fixing their problem, they gave me the goose.

Do the edit! Take the credit!
  • tele52 over 4 years ago

tele52 edited over 4 years ago
    Diognes_The_Fox separate Price and Distribution codes are so specialized in knowlage that IMHO people will not use it except very few users, it could be great if it was a mix "Price/Code Code". Sometimes
    Thank you so much for Depósito Legal adding, it is present on most Spanish releases from mid 1950s to nowadays.

Diognes_The_Fox
    Votes are placed on submission quality.

I totally understand this. I suppose I'm suggesting maybe it makes sense to get rid of the vote average on an individual's account. If you're voting on the submission then don't have the vote also be placed on the users.

I also realize I'm getting off topic from the main point of this thread, so I'll stop now. Or maybe go back to the recent thread about voting. :)

baldorr
    Is it a bad idea to update one piece of information but ignore others?

Of course not, but when you update a release, then you assume responsibility for the entire page, not just your edit, so if there is an outstanding issue you were unable to address and it needs to be flagged for accuracy issues, then that's just how it works.
    Showbiz_Kid
    Instead of them fixing their problem, they gave me the goose.

Sometimes a release just needs to be flagged. It's easy to spot one thing. Example: artist profile shows 20 technical credits for releases recorded in the US in the 2000s and then 1 visual visual credit for a 1951 French release. Obviously, the visual credit is wrong, but just because you can spot a problem does not mean you can also fix it. a safer option is to point out the issue and, if necessary, flag it with a vote if nothing happens.

Diognes_The_Fox
    If I'm in a position where I can't fix a serious error, I'll tag my sub notes with NMC/FIX ME.

Oooh — that's a really good idea!!
  • truedream over 4 years ago

Thank you!
    Library of Congress catalog card number?

typoman2

+1
  • Bong over 4 years ago

tele52
    Diognes_The_Fox separate Price and Distribution codes are so specialized in knowlage that IMHO people will not use it except very few users, it could be great if it was a mix "Price/Code Code".

+1

This morning my inbox was full of alerts of 'Other (Distribution Code)' being changed to 'Distribution Code', a term no one has been able to define. In fact most of these are in reality Price Codes which has been proved in the thread about French Price Codes. I'm inclined to go on a NMiC voting spree.

Adding ISRC to BaoI was also a bad call. Those codes are track specific. We need fields that are tied to each track for data that are specific to individual tracks. Publishers is another typical type of data that often applies to single tracks.

typoman2

As above +1

baldorr
    I like to say that Discogs is not a race. Any little improvements are good and should not be dismissed just because EVERYTHING was not fixed in one go.

+/- 1, a lot of user here edit there subs complete, ok newbees should only start with the required informations.

hmvh

+1

baldorr
    There are some updates that are difficult to make without having the copy in hand and so people will leave those changes for others and focus on the edits they can make. That doesn't mean they are ignoring those errors, just leaving them for someone who does feel confident making the changes.

When I didn't own the copy but see mistakes, small and difficult, I didn't edit!
    Is ist helpfull to edit the small mistake and leave the fat one?
    Sometimes it looks like that "Rankhunters" are running through the night,
    edit the barcode or so and didn't take a look at the complete sub.

Diognes_The_Fox
    Votes are placed on submission quality. If I'm in a position where I can't fix a serious error, I'll tag my sub notes with NMC/FIX ME.

berothbr
    Oooh — that's a really good idea!!

+1, thanks for the hint

Bong
    Adding ISRC to BaoI was also a bad call. Those codes are track specific.

Not familiar with ISRC, but the information about the specific tracks can be described in the description field, no?
    For publishers, that go into the LCCN, that can't be done because in the LCCN section there's only a cat# field that can't be used for other information.

Or do you mean this ISRC should ideally applied to specific tracks similar to credits that can be track specific?
  • Bong over 4 years ago

narcisco
    Or do you mean this ISRC should ideally applied to specific tracks similar to credits that can be track specific?

Yes, like that. That would be the most correct way to enter that data. Adding ISRC to the BaoI field is a half measured solution. Adding more data fields to the track listing would require a lot more work on the back end though.

hmvh
    EntePips
    Beethoven*, Swedish Chamber Orchestra*, Thomas Dausgaard - Coriolan Overture ∙ Symphonies Number 4 And 5
    hmvh
    ...or entire works (even if they're split into several movements, pieces or tracks).

ISRCs are 12 characters long, here the first track's ISRC is NOFZS0080010, the second one NOFZS0080020 and so on until track 9 NOFZS0080090. See the result for a google search for NOFZS0080030 for example :)
  • Rhineheart over 4 years ago

Bong
    Adding ISRC to BaoI was also a bad call. Those codes are track specific.

dead_parrot
    ISRCs are 12 characters long,

What about this, for example? Didier Lockwood - 'Round About Silence has "ISRC FR - 14 F" printed on tray insert and CD.
    Now that we have ISRC as a separate field, I would change the BaOI from "Other (ISRC code): FR - 14 F" to "ISRC: FR - 14 F".
    Correct or not? Hard to tell as long as the RSG have not been updated.

Rhineheart
    What about this, for example? Didier Lockwood - 'Round About Silence has "ISRC FR - 14 F" printed on tray insert and CD.
    Now that we have ISRC as a separate field, I would change the BaOI from "Other (ISRC code): FR - 14 F" to "ISRC: FR - 14 F".
    Correct or not? Hard to tell as long as the RSG have not been updated.
    This looks like it's a code referring to the Disques Dreyfus label, as an affiliate of SPPF. Aphrodite Records's website mentions theirs as ISRC FR-4U8 http://www.aphrodite-records.com/main/?q=node/18
    Sorry I don't have time to investigate further, but it's definitely different from the ISRC that is unique to a recording.
  • in.spirit over 4 years ago

Please can someone define Pressing Plant ID & what it should be used for?

E.g., The EMI Uden profile states pressings can be identified by Mould Pressing Code stamped in the matrix area (pattern 1-1-1-NL). Is that a pressing plant ID?

Bit of a shame updated guidelines weren't issued simultaneous with this update. Trying to understand Distribution / Price Codes is melting my brain.
  • Rhineheart over 4 years ago

dead_parrot
    it's definitely different from the ISRC that is unique to a recording

Yes, definitely. Yet I'd say it's nonetheless perfectly valid as an ISRC identifier in the BaOI.

in.spirit
    Bit of a shame updated guidelines weren't issued simultaneous with this update.

+1
    I wonder how that could happen. Without guidelines this update will produce chaos and endless arguing over edits.
  • jweijde over 4 years ago

Rhineheart

"FR - 14 F" isn't really an ISRC. An ISRC consists of:
    Country Code
    Registrant Code
    Year of Reference
    Designation Code

http://isrc.ifpi.org/en/isrc-standard/code-syntax

"FR - 14 F" is the first part of an ISRC: the country code and the registrant code. Going by http://isrc.ifpi.org/en/why-use it indicates who is the producer of the recordings found on the record.
  • lbamaral over 4 years ago

Does Pressing Plant ID should be used on CD pressings that were not really made at/by the company that was responsible for manufacturing, as in lots of Brazilian releases from late 80's / early 90's that only assembled and distributed items ordered and made by seconds? If positive, how should them be nominated, by the brand name that is shown on release, i.e. Arvato, DADC, Sonopress®, EMI-SWINDON? Any tips?
  • in.spirit over 4 years ago

Rhineheart
    Without guidelines this update will produce chaos and endless arguing over edits.

As if there weren't enough arguments already. I'm glad about the SPARS (I'll fix my OC's), but I wish the Dist/Price Code had been resolved and defined before the update. For me, a place for Cat Nos. for multi disc sets would have been more useful - RSG §4.7.6 directs you to BaOI, but section 5 says nothing!

Rhineheart
    I wonder how that could happen

Seems crap if system update people won't warn the staff who deal with us (DTF?) that updates are coming. After all, looks like some these updates have been planned and worked on for a long time. I've worked in miserable civil service jobs where IT systems people won't communicate with the people who have to actually use the systems. Hoped Discogs - with the community ethos - wouldn't be so disfunctional.

lbamaral
    Does Pressing Plant ID should be used on CD pressings (...)
    Please see what another user mentioned above in the thread:
    brunorepublic
    electronic_beat: Also, what is the proper use of Pressing Plant ID? Is that an old-timey vinyl only thing?

Yes, some companies, notably the US branch of PolyGram and the Canadian branch of WEA, sometimes added short identifiers on the labels indicating to where the pressing was contracted out. But they also appear on cassettes too. I haven't seen them on CDs; most CDs have the manufacturer name in the matrix area anyway.
    Based on that, Pressing Plant IDs are probably not suitable for CDs - stick to Matrix engravings. We'll see what the Guidelines will say when they are updated.

in.spirit
    Please can someone define Pressing Plant ID & what it should be used for?

Any alpha-numeric identifier identifier that's printed on the release's labels, disc face, cover, booklet, etc. Info that appears in the matrix/runout area should be added to "Matrix/Runout" (the "53" in the FTF on the release I linked to in my initial post is an example of what I think Plant ID is for (if you don't see it, it's adjacent to "Manufactured" in the label rim text).

in.spirit

Bit of a shame updated guidelines weren't issued simultaneous with this update. Trying to understand Distribution / Price Codes is melting my brain.

And others, it seems. Users who've no experience and rely on quotes from old threads with no real reason.

A Price Code/ Distribution Code would allow correct info for some and others to sleep easy that they know what they know is correct ;)0

Yes, I used other threads and google because it wasn't made clear if these codes were Price or Distribution. I believe Distribution Code is a Discogs term. Since Brent is away, all we can ask is a Price Code/ Distribution Code. But the changes were unannounced. Or define each term, and when to use it.

aasaxell
    \o/

Some are quite busy already, the messages about recent changes affecting my contributions or releases in my collection keep pouring, well almost flooding in and most are just this. Complete waste of time, I have the notifications switched on for actual updates, not this.
    Oh well ...

magnix
    Some are quite busy already,

Ha ha, Hey! Oh! Let's GO!!!!!!

magnix

Ignoring other faults no doubt.

avalon67
    Ignoring other faults no doubt.

Well, so far so good from what I have seen ...
  • mjb over 4 years ago

magnix

Yeah I am seeing gobs of Other (Distribution Code) being changed to Distribution Code ... and this is probably going to be changed to Price Code if the rankhunters notice https://www.discogs.com/forum/thread/746274 or the links mentioned therein. However I get the impression they aren't really inclined to pay much attention to this forum.