• electronic_beat over 4 years ago

Until the Guidelines reflect the new BaOI dropdown choices, I will try to maintain a small list of links to threads or other resources relevant for the discussion on whether a code is a Distribution code or a Price code. I'm not planning on making it comprehensive, but feel free to make suggestions.

- RSG §5 Main BaOI Guideline (not yet updated)
    - RSG §4.7.5 Distributed By cat no.s vs. Distribution codes, which contains a link to...
    - The List of Distribution codes on the Discogs wiki, which contains a link to...
    - Forum Thread #706164 explaining French Price codes (which basically overlaps with the list above), which contains a link to...
    - Facts about Virgin France, where some examples are shown.

- Forum Thread #693089 Proposal for new BaOI types
    - Forum Thread #746182 Unofficial announcement of the new BaOI selections
    - Forum Thread #349481 TELDEC Price codes vs. cat. no.s
    - WEA/Polygram evidence for Price codes
    - Forum Thread #745219 Boxed [Y] discussion

Please correct me if I am wrong, but all price codes are necessarily distributor codes (codes that the distributor used internally - possibly to set prices), but not the other around. So to be a price a code there would need to be additional evidence that shows it was used specifically to set prices and nothing else - otherwise it's just a code used by the distributor for multiple things - a Distribution code if you will ;)

By the above argument, I don't think the same code should be entered both as a distribution code and price code, because if it is a Price code, it is always a Distribution code implicitly, and if it is a (multi-purpose) Distribution code it doesn't meet the (narrow) definition of being a Price code.

Additionally, the list of Distribution codes on the Discogs wiki is linked from the Guidelines, and they are supposedly valid for more than just the French market. To me, and until clarified in the Guidelines, this makes it more reliable than the French Price Codes thread, or if you prefer, means that a user would have so submit more compelling evidence justifying calling it a Price code vs. Distribution code.
  • MusicNutter over 4 years ago

• Bong over 4 years ago

Separate fields for Price and Distribution codes should never have been introduced. No one has been able to define what a Distribution Code is.
  • narcisco over 4 years ago

electronic_beat
    Please correct me if I am wrong, but all price codes are necessarily distributor codes (codes that the distributor used internally - possibly to set prices), but not the other around. So to be a price a code there would need to be additional evidence that shows it was used specifically to set prices and nothing else - otherwise it's just a code used by the distributor for multiple things - a Distribution code if you will ;)

This doesn't seem to apply to the french pirce codes as far as I can see, as this was a nation wide state-imposed system, with codes that were largely not company specific.
    For French releases (soley for the French market) it seems pretty clear what that these are price codes.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but in case of newer (80's and later) European releases, with a cat# and then with codes for France, Germany under it, aren't these then distribution codes?
  • avalon67 over 4 years ago

avalon67 edited over 4 years ago
    Bong
    No one has been able to define what a Distribution Code is

This.
    electronic_beat
    Please correct me if I am wrong, but all price codes are necessarily distributor codes (codes that the distributor used internally - possibly to set prices),

Not this. You need to define what you mean by 'Distribution Code'. AFAICT it's a made up 'Discogs' term.

The Record Company / Label set the price and print the Price Code on the release. That's why initially RCA used to print Price Code boxed with their two letter Price Codes on UK releases, Polydor had their Select, Deluxe, Super, Special ....
  • vinyljunkie66 over 4 years ago

vinyljunkie66 edited over 4 years ago
    Bong
    Separate fields for Price and Distribution codes should never have been introduced. No one has been able to define what a Distribution Code is.

Agree. A simple "Distribution/Price Code" field would have been a better choice.
    However, I'm more and more convinced that those codes, including the ones listed under "Label-identifying prefixes" on https://reference.discogslabs.com/wiki/Distribution-Codes, are all price codes rather than distribution codes.
    IMHO French releases are a good proof for this: since the late 60s they carried circled letters that are commonly considered price codes; from late 1978, suddenly, price codes become distribution codes with the introduction of those label ID-### combinations like POL 340 for instance. This makes little sense, doesn't it?
    On post-1978 CBS releases, like most of us here, I've usually considered those CB ### strings as distribution codes and the circled numbers like 53, 57 etc. as price codes. However, are those CB ### actually distribution codes? Prior to 1978, there were only circled letters on those releases – these are commonly regarded as price codes. Then they were replaced by the CB ### strings and only some months later those circled numbers started to appear (here's an example of a release, incorrectly dated 1976 BTW, with CB 271 and no other code: Pampered Menial). I am now supporting the idea that these are all price codes and the presence of two separate ones is justified by the fact that those releases were marketed in many countries, where possibly different systems were used. Please keep in mind that codes like CB 271 always denoted full price releases while CB 211 (up to 1982) and CB 231 (from 1983) denoted budget issues. You will hardly find, for instance, a CB 271 code on a Nice Price issue. Edit: budget and full price releases were also distributed to the same range of European countries, why should CBS have used different CB-### codes if they were only meant to denote the distribution?
    On some 80s RCA releases, how can we explain those boxes like: D: 630 | F: RC270 | UK: HH ? Currently we should list the French one as a distribution code, the other two as price codes. This makes little sense too IMHO.

My proposal is to consider all these codes as Price Codes unless proven otherwise.
  • velove over 4 years ago

vinyljunkie66
    My proposal is to consider all these codes as Price Codes unless proven otherwise.

+1
  • teninchfan over 4 years ago

For EMI releases... is 1C for example a Distribution Code?

I wonder about this edit on Never For Ever and several more made by this user... probably i missed something?

teninchfan

I would say no. The fact that the EMI prefix usually indicates the country of destination doesn't make it automatically a distribution code IMHO.
    That 'distribution code' theory also fails if we consider, for instance, all those Scandinavian releases made in the UK (or at least with an UK sleeve) that have the British 1E code – when each Scandinavian country had its own.
    Or, even better, those 80s releases with 1A or 1C code and distributed to several other European countries – just one instance: Beyond The Astral Skies
    As a side note, under the same reasoning 064 should be treated as a price code then, since that number denotes the price range (e.g.: 062/064 full price, 052/054 mid price...).

Thanks for your opinion vinyljunkie66

Think we should also invite G.t.D., maybe he explains his edit to us?
  • Holobiont over 4 years ago

teninchfan
    Think we should also invite G.t.D., maybe he explains his edit to us?

A good idea.

If you put discogs distribution code in google, you get many many results. It isnt a simple edit, it's determining whats a Price Code and what is a Distribution code
  • truedream over 4 years ago

vinyljunkie66
    A simple "Distribution/Price Code" field would have been a better choice.

+1 IMO

teninchfan

Nope, just; indicates country.
    Pink Floyd - Animals
    Pink Floyd - Animals
    Pink Floyd - Animals

MusicNutter
    If you put discogs distribution code in google, you get many many results. It isnt a simple edit, it's determining whats a Price Code and what is a Distribution code

What is a Distribution Code then? What's it's purpose?

avalon67
    Nope, just; indicates country.

Puh... i am glad - i really thought i missed something.... who revert his edits?

Is it a special code that determines a country.
  • truedream over 4 years ago

KC, PC, JZ etc in cat #s on Columbia LPs... Price code?
  • Disaster_Area over 4 years ago

cunfused ... many distributors would have their own catalogue numbers (Virgin, EfA, Staalplaat etc.) which SOMETIMES were also the lable cat.no's, but mostly not. Some distributors also had price codes - which would be normally stickered on the releases - but sometimes (if there was a distribution deal) also featured on the releases themselves.

So former would clearly be a distributor code? it has nothing to do with a price code, it is the internal distributor catalogue number.
    The latter would solely qualify as price code.

The 'things' we see in boxes on the back of major label releases are price codes, not distribution codes. They indicate price groups so that catalogues only needed to be updated on the price code table not the full catalogue. Mute had/has this, although the codes are never shown on the releases.

It says in my example Distributed by said labels. Is that where the confusion lies? But even looking on Google you have many examples of Distribution Code. We either use Distribution Code or Price Code or wait until Diognes_The_Fox comes back to see what makes it a price code or distribution code.

MusicNutter
    Is it a special code that determines a country.

Where does that information come from, and is there any supporting evidence?
  • edovan over 4 years ago

vinyljunkie66

I second that.
    I'm fairly comfortable with submitting a lot of details, but feel it's hard to tell the difference between these two.

MusicNutter about 1 hour ago
    It says in my example Distributed by said labels. Is that where the confusion lies? But even looking on Google you have many examples of Distribution Code. We either use Distribution Code or Price Code or wait until Diognes_The_Fox comes back to see what makes it a price code or distribution code
  • TwinPowerForce over 4 years ago

edovan
    I second that.
    I'm fairly comfortable with submitting a lot of details, but feel it's hard to tell the difference between these two.

same for me
  • G.t.D. over 4 years ago

I always wondered about the 1C etc. on some EMI releases. I found a reasonable explanation here (especially the part following 'EMI Version':
    https://reference.discogslabs.com/wiki/Distribution-Codes
    I also agree, it's hard to tell the difference between price code & distribution code, so a "Distribution/Price Code" field would definitely help. The distribution code/price code discussion is going on for quite a while it seems.

MusicNutter
    It says in my example Distributed by said labels.

Actually there are six distribution credits on one side, three alphanumeric codes somewhere else and nothing that groups them together.

I would not advise to change any code from Distribution Code to Price Code and vice versa at this stage, however we can't either suppose that those are distribution codes only because some distribution companies are mentioned on the release or continue to consider them undoubtedly as such only because we did so in the past.

Pinging now stevefreeman who, on https://www.discogs.com/release/1907058-Relayer/history , literally said: «CA 835 is a Distribution Code not Price Code». Could you please be so kind to join this thread and provide proof? I am aware that we always considered them distribution codes, but is it really correct?

I will have something more to say about CBS codes later.
  • scenescof over 4 years ago

Did you check the forum topics?

New dropddown menu has introduced, SPARS code, ISRC, etc. It also has Price Code and Distribution Codes. Now what makes one, a price code and what ones are Distribution Codes. Please check the forum. Oh FYI, Distribution Code is a Discogs things, and isn't confined to one release. Searching google and Discogs Distribution Codes brings up many results. So instead of bone to pick with me, at least search the link above to wonder many many release has Distribution Codes. Ask why Distribution Codes and Price Codes appear two separate things in BAOI. Brent did reply but he's away. Hence the discussion

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=rn+distribition+code&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&gws_rd=cr&ei=1XVpWaScG-vVgAai_KL4CQ#q=distribition+code+discogs

scenescof
    They're quite clearly Price Codes. Haven't we had this discussion?

Was there a solution from staff? No?

It was only just introduced to BAOI.

If they are to be price codes, why isn't there only one called Price Codes in BAOI?

Distribution Codes is also there, so what defines a Distribution Code? That is the question.

Disaster_Area
    The 'things' we see in boxes on the back of major label releases are price codes, not distribution codes.

Agree with it.
  • scenescof over 4 years ago

Attitude again. You always resort to 'read the post/thread'
    You need to give your reasons, the majority think these are Price codes, if you read thoroughly. Open your mind ;)

Holobiont
    Disaster_AreaThe 'things' we see in boxes on the back of major label releases are price codes, not distribution codes.

Agree with it.

https://www.discogs.com/forum/thread/746182

Why are there Price Codes and Distribution Codes in BAOI

Why is there many releases that use Distribution Codes?

There wasn't any message from staff what a Distribution Code was

MusicNutter
    There wasn't any message from staff what a Distribution Code was

Because of we all didn't all known it exactly?
    IMO CBS 111 are a distribution code
    and [Y] are a price code.
    But hey i'm a newcomer and i just try do to my best for the data...;)

MusicNutter
    Why is there many releases that use Distribution Codes?

Because we all were used to consider them as such, but at least in some cases it's wrong.

One clear instance, at least IMHO, is CBS.
    We have always considered those CB-### strings as CBS distribution codes and the circled letters (pre-1979) or numbers (later) as price codes. I also added them to countless releases. Now, I strongly believe they are all price codes.

If they were distribution codes, they should be somehow correlated with the area of distribution. So, how could it be explained that, for instance, the same CB 271 code was used not only on the 'European' releases made in Haarlem, but also on:
    – UK ones - e.g. Mirror Moves
    – Greek ones - e.g. Headlines
    – Yugoslavian ones - e.g. Diamond Life
    – even Israeli ones - e.g. Metal Health
    and possibly more?

CB 271 was used also on releases still made in Haarlem but intended for limited markets, not for the usual distribution to most of the Western Europe. Some examples:
    – Germany - e.g. Caverna Magica (...Under The Tree - In The Cave...)
    – Scandinavia - e.g. 220 Volt
    – Holland itself - e.g. Maandagmorgen 6:30

Again, if they were distribution codes, why double LPs always have different codes from single LPs? Were double albums distributed through different channels or to different countries? I don't think so, do you?

Finally: as I already said, if they were distribution codes, why their budget reissues like Nice Price had always different codes (e.g. CB 211, CB 231) from the full price issues (e.g. CB 261, CB 271)? Again, they were distributed to the same European countries. IMHO this is the most clear example that shows how they are correlated with the price, not with the distribution.

With a bit of further research, I believe that this could be expanded to other labels/companies.

Your considerations, please.

Price
    vinyljunkie66

Again, if they were distribution codes, why double LPs always have different codes from single LPs? Were double albums distributed through different channels or to different countries? I don't think so, do you?

Your considerations, please.

Lol, don't forget the separate company to distribute singles

Where's the C vote button?

scenescof
    Open your mind ;)

I'm a Holobiont, always open minded....
  • Myriad over 4 years ago

Holobiont
    Because of we all didn't all known it exactly?
    IMO CBS 111 are a distribution code
    and [Y] are a price code.
    But hey i'm a newcomer and i just try do to my best for the data...;)

We're looking for evidence, not opinions! :)
  • stevefreeman over 4 years ago

vinyljunkie66
    Pinging now stevefreeman who, on https://www.discogs.com/release/1907058-Relayer/history , literally said: «CA 835 is a Distribution Code not Price Code». Could you please be so kind to join this thread and provide proof? I am aware that we always considered them distribution codes, but is it really correct?

My comment there was in response of yuhann changing "Other (Distribution Code)" to "Price Code" and not giving a reason why.

However, based on that French thread it seems I may be wrong as I have some Musea releases who call things like DM4 Price Codes.
  • ultimathulerecords over 4 years ago

Myriad
    We're looking for evidence, not opinions! :)

French distributors and labels call them Price Code or Code Prix

Here are two examples:
    https://s19.postimg.org/809j1c22r/frenchdistributor1.jpg
    https://s19.postimg.org/9tcfpnn9f/musea_news_sheet.jpg

The first is a major French distributor that I use, from their wholesale database
    The second is a Musea new release sheet
    Both say Price Code

teninchfan

No, that's a Country Code

electronic_beat
    Additionally, the list of Distribution codes on the Discogs wiki is linked from the Guidelines, and they are supposedly valid for more than just the French market.

I was told that too when coming to Discogs, that letters within a circle were Price Code and those like WM 345 are Distribution Codes. However, I cannot find any evidence to support that. Actually, I'd never heard of the term before Discogs. I've just checked all my French distributor files and nowhere does it say Distribution Code on any news sheets, catalogues or wholesale databases. Either: Price Code, Code Prix, Codes de Prix, PC or CP.

Codes de prix is used here
  • zevulon over 4 years ago

So, just like with the Runout Sticky, we really need a distro/price/country/aux-code inventory...

As these new baoi drop downs are already introduced, users are converting / adding these like a flood ATM, and if they even know what they're doing is anybody's guess.

vinyljunkie66
    On some 80s RCA releases, how can we explain those boxes like: D: 630 | F: RC270 | UK: HH ? Currently we should list the French one as a distribution code, the other two as price codes. This makes little sense too IMHO.

+1
  • Auribus over 4 years ago

vinyljunkie66

I couldn't agree more. For the less enlightened contributor such as myself, this eliminates the need to be conversant with the arcane world of distribution and pricing codes. Additionally, anyone wanting to analyze the distribution/price codes will find them conveniently located in the one field.

At present, is it possible to search for this data and does the drop down menu description in BaOI have any bearing on the quality of the information?
  • polaroid666 over 4 years ago

Does pricing information like printed on Minor Threat - Minor Threat also qualify as Price Code?
  • velove over 4 years ago

https://www.discogs.com/Ruggero-Raimondi-Emil-Tchakarov-Ch%C5%93urs-Et-Orchestre-Du-Theatre-National-De-LOpera-De-Paris-Six-Pers/release/8146315#images/29438821 shows RC 250 and RC 350 with a comment saying that RC 250 is valid until 31/1/82 which to me only makes sense if they are price codes.
  • zevulon over 4 years ago

vinyljunkie66

+1
  • Mr-Love over 4 years ago

Mr-Love edited over 4 years ago
    ultimathulerecords
    French distributors and labels call them Price Code or Code Prix

Here are two examples:
    https://s19.postimg.org/809j1c22r/frenchdistributor1.jpg
    https://s19.postimg.org/9tcfpnn9f/musea_news_sheet.jpg

Many thanks, very interesting. This means that the "France: WE 171" etc codes often seen on Warner/WEA etc releases are price codes indeed - which makes perfect sense as they vary by format. For some reason though, they're often added as "Distribution Code" here on Discogs. I'm starting to think more and more that "Distribution Code" is just a Discogs invention that doesn't actually exist.

vinyljunkie66

+1
  • RECORDSCOUT over 4 years ago

QUESTION: What's the use of knowing the difference between a Distribution Code and a Price Code?
    It's there. I don't care ;–) Just type it in BaOI. Simple as that.

QUESTION: What's the use of knowing the difference between a Distribution Code and a Price Code?
    It's there. I don't care ;–) Just type it in BaOI. Simple as that.

RECORDSCOUT
    It's there. I don't care

It's where? I have never seen any record stating "Distribution Code", not sure I've ever seen one stating "Price Code" either, which means we need other sources for telling them apart.

polaroid666
    Does pricing information like printed on Minor Threat - Minor Threat also qualify as Price Code?

Recommended, Retail, Suggested, "Pay No More Than" and such-like are Label's fixed or recommended prices at retail. They are not Price Codes.
  • polaroid666 over 4 years ago

ultimathulerecords
    They are not Price Codes.

Thanks.

From http://vinylesvintage.centerblog.net/1-code-prix-sur-les-pressages-francais-de-vinyles-rock - Google translated...

THE PRICE CODES WERE IMPOSED IN FRANCE FROM 1968.

The price code consisted of a capital letter, usually printed at the top right of the back of the disc sleeve. This code corresponded to a maximum price that could not be exceeded by the record store.

Concerning the international variety, in particular the rock music, the price code has evolved according to successive editions (thus years) for the same disc. Thus, the first edition of a rock vinyl published in 1968 almost always contained the letter T as the price code. The same vinyl reissued in 1971 (for example) will contain the letter U. Always the same vinyl, reissued in 1975 will include the code-Prix Y.

In general, price codes have been successively T (1968 to 1970), U (1970 to 1972), B (1972 to 1974), Y (1974 to 1976), A (1976 to 1978 ), O or SE (in 1978 and 1979).

This, for the 33T.

The single letter was replaced by three digits (depending on the edition) preceded by the first two or three letters of the distributor (eg BA for BARCLAY, CB for CBS, or POL for POLYDOR ..). .).

Finally, these price codes were replaced by bar codes in the 1980s.

ultimathulerecords edited over 4 years ago
    Other information found...

Codes with pricing information of 1970s LPs: http://johnnyhallydayleweb.forumpro.fr/t8022-codes-prix-vinyles-et-autres-lettres - not an official source, but a useful reference

French label web site with Price Code clearly given: http://www.fglmusic.com/produit.php?id=36

BTW, actual Distribution Codes as shown on the FGL site, i.e. Distributor reference: : 3096632 are often internal cross-referencing codes used to avoid shipping wrong items, which are not what is meant on Discogs as a Distribution Code at all, and often not on the release or seen by the public except as on sites like FGL or on stickers, etc.

I think we should all boycott use of Distribution Code, and add Price Codes only until there's a guideline that explains what the difference is. That is if there is any. Maybe Diognes_The_Fox will enlighten us sometime?
  • yuhann over 4 years ago

ultimathulerecords
    I think we should all boycott use of Distribution Code, and add Price Codes only until there's a guideline that explains what the difference is. That is if there is any.

+1

ultimathulerecords
    I think we should all boycott use of Distribution Code, and add Price Codes only until there's a guideline that explains what the difference is.

Agree.
  • yuhann over 4 years ago

yuhann edited over 4 years ago
    I took some time and stepped through the items listed under the WMD and Wotre Music Distribution pages (which need consolidation BTW). WMD was a French distributor active from the mid/late 80s to the late 90s and, AFAICT, distribution was done on a domestic level only.

Those codes associated with that distributor usually follow the WM ### pattern and by comparing a certain amount of different formats it becomes evident that
    WM 1## = vinyl
    WM 2## = cassettes
    WM 3## = CD

Everything considered, common sense would recognize a Price Code pattern here, as far as this distributor is concerned.

[edit] Not sure if this deserves a dedicated thread? Perhaps we should systematically investigate various other destributors in order to unravel the "Distribution Code" myth...

What for do we need Distribution Codes? We have Distributed by...
    Whether it's WE 341 or just Y, these are Price Codes. And even if they were Disribution Codes it wouldn't matter. It's simply not important if it's Price or Distribution. Let's call them CODES.

yuhann
    distribution was done on a domestic level only.

We used to order direct from WMD at one time, until their Export Distribution moved to another company. I still have my old 1995 order list on file. Used to order: Culture Press, Mantra, Spalax, and Spoon labels from them. Unfortunately I don't have any of the printed catalogues any more (thrown away long ago, never realising they may have been useful later).

AFAIK - the WM Codes were always referred to as Price Codes.

ultimathulerecords
    Unfortunately I don't have any of the printed catalogues any more (thrown away long ago, never realising they may have been useful later).

I've regretted throwing so many books/leaflets/catalogues away since I found Discogs.

I'm hoping I still have a Music Week yearbook and and White Book , both from the 80's.

Meanwhile my 'rare' 70's records are worth Jack shit ;(
  • mjb over 4 years ago

electronic_beat
    I will try to maintain a small list of links to threads or other resources relevant for the discussion on whether a code is a Distribution code or a Price code

Thank you for doing this. It is a good list.
  • andygrayrecords over 4 years ago

Mr-Love
    RECORDSCOUTIt's there. I don't care
    It's where? I have never seen any record stating "Distribution Code", not sure I've ever seen one stating "Price Code" either, which means we need other sources for telling them apart.

On UK LPs you'll quite commonly find price code on the back cover. Particularly with RCA releases. BB HH etc.
    https://img.discogs.com/lWKk-cihZwBtoL533hgmjn4aok8=/fit-in/600x591/filters:strip_icc():format(jpeg):mode_rgb():quality(90)/discogs-images/R-5663868-1399307712-1698.jpeg.jpg

Pretty certain distribution code is mostly a made up thing on Discogs.
  • tele52 over 4 years ago

truedream
    vinyljunkie66A simple "Distribution/Price Code" field would have been a better choice.
    +1 IMO

+1 to joint both as one "Price/Distribution Code".
    It's a very specialized issue to differentiate both codes for the majority of users
  • kraftberg over 4 years ago

andygrayrecords
    On UK LPs you'll quite commonly find price code on the back cover.

On singles, too.
    Price Code AA
    Price Code BB

andygrayrecords
    On UK LPs you'll quite commonly find price code on the back cover. Particularly with RCA releases. BB HH etc.

kraftberg
    On singles, too.
    Price Code AA
    Price Code BB

Many thanks.

tele52
    +1 to joint both as one "Price/Distribution Code".
    It's a very specialized issue to differentiate both codes for the majority of users

At first I thought the same, but seeing as there may actually not be such a thing as "Distribution Code" while we have already seen some different sources for "Price Code" in this very topic, I think it's good they're separate.
  • Universe_In_Blue over 4 years ago

Universe_In_Blue edited over 4 years ago
    For distribution in France
    ultimathulerecords
    I was told that too when coming to Discogs, that letters within a circle were Price Code and those like WM 345 are Distribution Codes.
    Me too and that's why I began price and distribution codes edits according to that .... before reading this thread.

Now I stop until there is a clarification in guidelines !

And +1 to joint both as one "Price/Distribution Code".

^^ Right, only few users with a lot of knownledge will use split price distribution codes.
    Hundreds of good but not in deep knowledge like me will prefer to add as "Other".
    Future guidelines update about it will not help to encourage add data, it is about knownledge, not guideline rules.
  • stevefreeman over 4 years ago

ultimathulerecords
    I think we should all boycott use of Distribution Code, and add Price Codes only until there's a guideline that explains what the difference is.

I am only updating Price Codes at the moment. I am also leaving links to this thread where other members have updated Distribution Code entries.

I would normally prefer if we heR re Staff
  • Silviu_Alexandru over 4 years ago

For East-european releases before 1990, the price is either printed as such on the sleeves (Мелодия, ETERNA, Electrecord, etc.) or marked by a capital letter (Supraphon, Opus). In all these cases, I cannot consider they could be Distribution Codes. To my best of knowledge, France is one of the few countries with a law of 'unique price' (books and cds?).
  • loukash over 4 years ago

Silviu_Alexandru
    marked by a capital letter (Supraphon, Opus)

For the record:
    Czechoslovak price codes were "case sensitive"!
    A, B, C, D, … = 10" or 12" (and also the unique 7" LP)
    a, b, c, d, … = 7" short play
    aa, bb, cc, dd, … = 7" extended play
  • Silviu_Alexandru over 4 years ago

loukash Thanks. I never had a "7, but only LPs. so I did not know it.
  • denizen over 4 years ago

Silviu_Alexandru
    To my best of knowledge, France is one of the few countries with a law of 'unique price' (books and cds?).

Books only, if I'm not mistaken.
  • Universe_In_Blue over 4 years ago

denizen
    Books only, if I'm not mistaken.

No, for LPs and 7" also, see phase 3 of https://www.discogs.com/forum/thread/706164

BTW, I've edited releases with Distribution code (entered by me or someone else) and selected Price code with 'For France' in description field and a comment like that:

"Price code instead of distribution code, at least until clarification in guidelines
    See https://www.discogs.com/forum/thread/746274 "
  • marcuzan over 4 years ago

Price Code seems useful for 70s circled letters, "Distribution" codes were price codes including distributor's 1st letters or initials... The earliest ones even included a circled number
  • Quarehiel over 4 years ago

One option "price / distributor code" would be better?

e.g. Ⓤ and WE 341 were both price codes, first system applied to every distributor, then each distributor could choose his own price (or whatever) code, hence the prefix
    Price Code fits both imho
  • timhorton69 over 4 years ago

stevefreeman
    I am only updating Price Codes at the moment. I am also leaving links to this thread where other members have updated Distribution Code entries.
    Where the code fits the pattern on https://www.discogs.com/forum/thread/706164 , I add it as Price Code (even where the BAOI description is "Distribution Code"). Where the code doesn't fit the pattern, but the BAOI description is "Distribution Code", I change the tag to "Distribution Code". Where necessary I also remove both from the description where I've changed the tag. Everything else I leave. Happy to cease and desist if this is causing tectonic shifts in the discogs dimensions.

Which is giving me so much fun at the moment. At the same time I'm getting correct votes for these edits, I've also had one contributor criticise me for doing an unfounded "mass edit". Oops. While others are adding whatever BAOI tags they see fit to codes that don't fit the French price code pattern (distribution or price code).

I'm a simple lad, I get simple pleasure from repetitive behaviour, and I like to please my masters. So any consensus on this situation would be greatly immensely ginormously appreciated!

timhorton69
    So any consensus on this situation would be greatly immensely ginormously appreciated!

I believe that now there's enough proof and consensus to consider them all price codes.

Could Diognes_The_Fox or nik or any other Staff member chime in, take a look at the sources provided, give precise instructions and possibly update the BaOI Guidelines?

vinyljunkie66

I believe that now there's enough proof and consensus to consider them all price codes.

Agreed. Maybe we should use Price Code on all except any that may have Distribution Code printed on them, if indeed they exist?

avalon67
    Maybe we should use Price Code on all except any that may have Distribution Code printed on them, if indeed they exist?

+1 from me.
  • timhorton69 over 4 years ago

avalon67
    Agreed. Maybe we should use Price Code on all except any that may have Distribution Code printed on them
    Does this also include where the number is blank (after a country indicator, e.g. "F:", "I:", "D:"), e.g. David Bowie - Station To Station? How about the German code on Heaven 17 - Higher And Higher - The Best Of Heaven 17 - is that also to be entered as a price code? The French codes are easy to identify thanks to the https://www.discogs.com/forum/thread/706164 thread.

avalon67
    Maybe we should use Price Code on all except any that may have Distribution Code printed on them, if indeed they exist?

I think it's correct, but first I'd like to clear something that I incorrectly posted in the other thread: on Give Out But Don't Give Up for instance the code (PM 527) is right next to the distributor mention ("Diffusion exclusive Virgin France SA" which if I'm not mistaken means "Exclusive distribution by..."). Is it just a design decision or does it mean that both mentions are connected, in which case you could say it's a Distribution Code and not a Price Code?
  • Sal_Ami over 4 years ago

avalon67

+1

denizen
    the code (PM 527) is right next to the distributor mention ("Diffusion exclusive Virgin France SA" which if I'm not mistaken means "Exclusive distribution by...")

According to https://www.discogs.com/forum/thread/706164 PM stands for Pathé Marconi EMI so 2 different companies.

Mr-Love
    According to https://www.discogs.com/forum/thread/706164 PM stands for Pathé Marconi EMI so 2 different companies.

... but the profile for Virgin France S.A. says "PM xxx" codes are related to it, so it's not really 2 different companies...
  • Marana over 4 years ago

+1 for Price/Distribution Code

vinyljunkie66
    avalon67Maybe we should use Price Code on all except any that may have Distribution Code printed on them, if indeed they exist?
    +1 from me.

Marana

• jcomin over 4 years ago

• Opdiner over 4 years ago

denizen
    but the profile for Virgin France S.A. says "PM xxx" codes are related to it, so it's not really 2 different companies...

Virgin was a subsidiary of EMI from 1992.
  • kraftberg over 4 years ago

vinyljunkie66
    On post-1978 CBS releases, like most of us here, I've usually considered those CB ### strings as distribution codes and the circled numbers like 53, 57 etc. as price codes. However, are those CB ### actually distribution codes? Prior to 1978, there were only circled letters on those releases – these are commonly regarded as price codes. Then they were replaced by the CB ### strings and only some months later those circled numbers started to appear

Is it now confirmed that the CB ### codes are price codes? I saw many user they change this (formerly Distribution code) in Price Code. Isn't that something hasty?
  • Brian_Damager over 4 years ago

Marana

+1
  • borderes over 4 years ago

Marana

+1
  • bobpitman over 4 years ago

I will admit to becoming a bit confused and desirous of some clarity / certainty regards Price Code vs Distribution code.
    In recent updates to stuff in my collection I have seen PY900 as a price code and a Distribution code. On this release Tricky - Maxinquaye its a Distribution code but on The Jam - Sound Affects its a price code.
    https://reference.discogslabs.com/wiki/Distribution-Codes indicates its a Distribution code.
    My head is beginning to hurt but I get the impression its going to hurt a lot more before this issue has closure!
  • hatfulofelt over 4 years ago

bobpitman
    but I get the impression its going to hurt a lot more before this issue has closure!

Sounds about right: :p
  • Freeceland over 4 years ago

It needs two different fields for price and distribution codes. Early, mostly French and German issues, just show a single (circled) letter. Some years later accompanied by a distribution code WE 341 for example, which was adopted by other companies and spreaded on sleeves of their records distributed in Europe by the end of the seventies. Warner's "WE 341" goes like this:
    The two letters denote the label W(arner) E(lektra)
    Asylum pressed and distributed by EMI until 1975
    1st digit format (1 7", 2 12" maxi/single, 3 LP, 4 cassette)
    2nd digit price range (2 maxi or LP budget, Nice Price / 4 full price increasing up to 9 through the years) last digit quantity of records of the set. You can't find out all this from a single information letter which is a price information only, similar to "de luxe" or "super" on UK releases.
    Although the yy xxx codes contain information about pricing I would name it "distribution code"
    Two fields necessary therefore

Freeceland
    It needs two different fields for price and distribution codes. Early, mostly French and German issues, just show a single (circled) letter. Some years later accompanied by a distribution code WE 341 for example, which was adopted by other companies and spreaded on sleeves of their records distributed in Europe by the end of the seventies. Warner's "WE 341" goes like this:
    The two letters denote the label W(arner) E(lektra)
    Asylum pressed and distributed by EMI until 1975
    1st digit format (1 7", 2 12" maxi/single, 3 LP, 4 cassette)
    2nd digit price range (2 maxi or LP budget, Nice Price / 4 full price increasing up to 9 through the years) last digit quantity of records of the set. You can't find out all this from a single information letter which is a price information only, similar to "de luxe" or "super" on UK releases.
    Although the yy xxx codes contain information about pricing I would name it "distribution code"
    Two fields necessary therefore

You can enter as many fields as you want, but why would you call them differently?

https://reference.discogslabs.com/wiki/Distribution-Codes starts with:
    "What we are calling a distribution code in Discogs is a certain kind of code which appears on certain European releases..." etc

I agree with Freeceland, Distribution Code is ok, the earlier one-circled-letter system had reached its limit in 1978, most of the alphabet was already used.

The yy xxx system opened much more coding possibilities (each distributor had his own syntax, Universe_In_Blue the WE syntax doesn't apply to other distributors)