• Billiamtheboi over 4 years ago

I'm looking to make a turntable mat (preferably a thin one) and i was wondering what material I should use?
  • Jarren over 4 years ago

From experts I have spoken to, it depends on your turntable platter.

Is it glass, or metal?

I was told that, due to me having a metal platter (just a typical direct drive turntable like the Technics SL1200), rubber is best. You can also find a rubber / cork mixture which is good too.

If you have a proper audiophile turntable with a glass platter, cork is the way to go.

That's just what I heard. Maybe some audiophiles will shoot me down...
  • hifi_guy over 4 years ago

Cork, felt, rubber, Sorbothane, glass fiber, leather... It's a matter of taste (and when DIYing also a matter of availability/skills/appropriate tools).
    Keep in mind that with many turntables the thickness and weight of the original mat was part of the design. In other words: the thick rubber slab on a 1970s Japanese direct drive deck was probably there for a reason. Same goes for subchassis decks like the Thorens 160, 320, 2001 families: reducing the suspended mass will change the tuning (resonance frequency) and effectiveness of the subchassis.

For a thin mat, I'd probably start with wool felt which works really well with a lot of turntables. However, ready made felt mats are so cheap that it's probably not worth the trouble making it yourself.
  • Livewire91 over 4 years ago

I have a aluminium platter on my pioneer pl990 and it came with a rubber mat? is that good or should i buy a cork mat?
  • Devon1 over 4 years ago

Jarren

I was told that, due to me having a metal platter (just a typical direct drive turntable like the Technics SL1200), rubber is best.

Actually, the decks came with two different mats. A rubber one and a thinner (looks like felt/cork) item with a very thin separate layer of plastic underneath. If I remember correctly, even Technics was recommending using the latter in tandem and not using the former at all.

However, this might have had to do with scratching and the lot. Not sure about the reasons anymore.
  • dubfunkoustic over 4 years ago

Try a leather one to pretty much eliminate static. Those acrylic slipmats are the worst.