• Diognes_The_Fox about 1 month ago

Morning everyone!

I'm finding more and more stuff I'm surprised is in the database these days and less and less stuff that's left to be added.

While there's always going to be new things coming out to be added, I am very curious about larger gaps in the database where we could shine some light on.

To me, it feels like there's no end in sight for undocumented latin and classical releases.

How 'bout you?
  • djgurygury about 1 month ago

The latin end is still pretty weak. USA pressings and salsa music are covered but other countries pressing and other ritmos are lacking. It seems when I get a collection of South American pressings 80-90% are not in DB. I noticed some new submitters from Colombia 🇨🇴 have started submitting so that is good .
  • mrformic about 1 month ago

I have like 150 LP/12" and 200 CDs "Not on Discogs".
    I add those whenever I can, but the quantity is rising nevertheless.
    We don't sell classical, so I have no idea about those gaps.
    We would sell latin, but I usually don't find Latin collections in Germany :)
    A few years back, German Schlager was a major gap in database, but hell....the gap was filled fast. Reason: The opt in for German language.
  • tam89rds about 1 month ago

Major gap still in Chinese releases, and more generally, Asian... probably 100s of thousands missing. Anything I find there is not yet on discogs. Probably same for Africa and middle East, and 50% of my Soviet vinyls are to be added too...
  • Silvermo about 1 month ago

There is a lot of smaller/independent swedish releases missing. My focus is on swedish hiphop and there is a lot that needs to be added. I think, I have aprox 100 releases to add myself.
    I'm guessing it is simmilar in other genres, swe reggae is almost always missing when I buy something.

Bigger swedish releases are on the other hand quite well covered in the database.

These are echoing a lot of my own experiences here.

Definitely feeling like my to-do bins are heavy in non-US/European music, these days.
  • Fauni-Gena about 1 month ago

Lots and lots of new age stuff is still entirely missing, as is some world music. Artists like Jorge Alfano and Silvia Nakkach just have a small part of their large discographies listed.
    Diognes_The_Fox
    Definitely feeling like my to-do bins are heavy in non-US/European music, these days.

Well, we've made huge progress in that area. I'm most familiar with Israeli releases in that broad category. Some important and popular Israeli albums which are entirely in Hebrew are in the database show literally hundreds of owners now. Despite that major artists almost all still have albums that have never been entered into the database. I'm talking about artists like Arik Einstein, Shalom Hanoch, Yehudit Ravitz,etc,,, People and groups who have had long and extremely successful careers.

Thanks everyone. There's a lot of interesting input here.

I've been trying to pick up steam with what I have stockpiled currently. My apartment is starting to resemble an episode of hoarders. The sooner it's subbed, the sooner I can get it either into my collection or out of my house.

We've definitely made so much progress and it's amazing to see how complex and detailed the database has gotten over the years.

I am excited to see what the database is going to look like when stuff like all these basic pressing plant variants are in and sorted out finally. Once we have the data and it's sufficiently sussed out and sorted, we can do all sorts of interesting stuff like tracking regional trends based on pressing plants/recording studios and who knows what else. I have no doubt people will still be using our open data for decades to come for more and more interesting projects, especially as processing power improves.

Barring the occasional hijack or bad edit, the vast majority of updates to the database provide valid, useful information that is improved with each edit. It's by no means perfect, but overall the change is progressive towards the positive thanks to our fantastic community of skilled contributors and voters (ex, you!)
  • djaeon about 1 month ago

I find that around 40% of the stuff I go through isn't in the database yet, when taking into account label and pressing plant variations. It's relatively rare that I find an artist or label that's not entered yet.
  • DNeils about 1 month ago

I have about 800 lp's that are not in the DB. Most are Canadian releases which have US releases already listed.

I have about 500 Asian cassettes that I cant list because the titles are all Asian characters (and getting more every day).

I have quite a few 8-tracks that need to go in.

Dave
  • steve.fletcher about 1 month ago

There are thousands of Asian releases. The Philippines have a their own OPM section and classification with thousands of artists and releases not in Discogs.
    I have found similar large numbers of home grown artists and number of releases for other Asian countries, which seem to be underrepresented in Discogs.
  • The_Beatles. about 1 month ago

Another way of looking at this is by date rather than genre, country or whatever.

To only have 27,033 releases from the 1940s' just doesn't sound right but maybe that's just me.
  • narcisco about 1 month ago

There are at least more than 40 Reel-To-Reels that are missing on Encore (22) , when looking at the back of George Liberace - Dine And Dance With George Liberace At The Beverly Hilton.
    That's just one label. There must be thousands and thousands still missing. Same counts for casettes, though a lot have been added already as well. Still, I often find casettes that haven't been added.

Oh another thought. If you go by format a lot of cassettes are missing IMO.
  • djcarbines about 1 month ago

I'm almost exclusively interested in UK releases but expect many gaps are for releases in non-Christian countries.

As far as UK releases are concerned there are huge gaps even in major labels of pre-war 78s and in general non-circular formats (8-track, cassette etc) especially for singles.

Also post 2010 cds, particularly singles and those by minor acts on independent labels, even if they sold well
  • andygrayrecords about 1 month ago

Like djaeon I find that a good 30-40% of what I pick up in job lots isn't entered (pressing plant variations / label variations).

A quick gander at my profile will show you, apart form the five new items (near the top), the rest is mainly fodder that you'd expect to be in here already.
  • timhorton69 about 1 month ago

Australian releases, heaps of them. Having done some work on Australian Virgin vinyl releases, for instance, it seems there's a lot of gaps in the various Virgin re-issues. And that's just one label, one format, in the 80s.

I also do a lot of work on Australian studios, and when you cross-check their clients with releases in the database, there's huge gaps there. Discogs has definitely not even touched the sides.

timhorton69
    Discogs has definitely not even touched the sides

Best get to it :-)

We've definitely not touched the sides on Tracks. The amount that need sorting into Composition and Recording is immense.

I feel as if I've barely started, yet recent stats suggest I've done one 1000 edits of the whole site and I rarely participate in mass edits!

As phenomenal as this site and project is, there is a LONG way to go!

I just had a quick look at some of the stats. There around 2.8 million US releases catalogued and only 379,000 Canadian releases. So it would seem like there is quite a way to go.

There are only 15,000 8-tracks catalogued; that seems low based on what I see at flea markets.

Dave

Corrected
  • brunorepublic about 1 month ago

Definitely 8-tracks. Very few collectors, and due both to the format's tendency to self-destruct and the lack of any playback equipment being made in over 30 years, very few remaining (wish I could find them in flea markets!)

Things are getting better with cassettes compared to a few years ago, but there's still a lot missing, especially 70s releases.
  • teninchfan about 1 month ago

teninchfan edited about 1 month ago
    I think there is still a lot of stuff left to add, less "Mainstream" except Variations and probably some unexpected pressings from all over the world.

More unpopular stuff like "Volksmusik", Classicals, 70's Budget releases with Cover-Versions and of course stuff from all around asia. There are 20.300 indian, 11.160 thai releases - there should be still many many more.

I am also surprised how much local releases from Switzerland are missing in db which are not just Alphorn and Yodeling :)

A few months ago i picked a bunch of around 100 cassettes with turkish music - about 75% were new entrys, think there are still tons more to discover.
  • Jarren about 1 month ago

Japanese promos!

The regular LPs are always listed, but the "sample" copies are usually not. They can be identified by three Japanese symbols (見本盤) on the labels, as well as having a small red sticker across the spine (or a large white sticker on the rear cover) featuring the same symbols.

The amount of times I see regular copy listings with "PROMO" or "SAMPLE COPY"...
  • velove about 1 month ago

James Last releases ;)
    Considering that I don't buy them specifically for being James Last and that I am not collecting them, I've already entered 87 new James Last entries. Expect more to come.

velove
    James Last releases

There's more?

Oh please no. Surely not. Hasn't every Discogs obsessive been through every charity shop / thrift store in the world to catalogue every possible variant of James Last?

It's not even like there's something interesting to look at, unlike Fausto Papetti.

Fauni-Gena
    Lots and lots of new age stuff is still entirely missing,

still got 2 boxes with about 400-500 cds to add. Expecting lots of new subs there.

teninchfan
    I am also surprised how much local releases from Switzerland are missing in db which are not just Alphorn and Yodeling :)

indeed. I pick up Swiss releases at flea markets and thrift stores to add to the db and there's a very high percentage of items not yet in the db.

Silvermo
    There is a lot of smaller/independent swedish releases missing. My focus is on swedish hiphop and there is a lot that needs to be added.

See also this. probably true for most countries, that whatever wasn' t mainstream, isn't submitted yet.

DNeils
    DNeils about 9 hours ago
    I have about 800 lp's that are not in the DB. Most are Canadian releases which have US releases already listed.

I have about 500 Asian cassettes that I cant list because the titles are all Asian characters (and getting more every day).

You should add them as Untitled and add images. Someone will fill in the correct titles from the images. Send a pm to me or teninchfan, we are happy to help you getting started with adding them. Diognes_The_Fox could this be made into a blog post, how to submit releases where you cannot read/write the script that's on the release?!?

Jarren
    It's not even like there's something interesting to look at

Most of them are standard boring. But every 100 you get one like James Last - Non Stop Dancing 9 Which created a new label that has no information about it yet. etc etc.
  • teninchfan about 1 month ago

velove
    You should add them as Untitled and add images. Someone will fill in the correct titles from the images. Send a pm to me or teninchfan, we are happy to help you getting started with adding them. Diognes_The_Fox could this be made into a blog post, how to submit releases where you cannot read/write the script that's on the release?!?

Good idea and also for arabic releases the way i do :)

So, DNeils put in your 500 Cassettes :)

velove
    But every 100 you get one like James Last - Non Stop Dancing 9 Which created a new label that has no information about it yet. etc etc.

Ah poor James! He couldn't even get the cameraman to face in the right direction!
  • jweijde about 1 month ago

Diognes_The_Fox
    larger gaps in the database

Box Sets.
    Electronic music releases from countries other than US, UK, Netherlands, Germany and Scandinavia.
  • ottologue about 1 month ago

Jarren
    Japanese promos!

I agree. JP Promotional media are rarely (if not) submitted. Have submitted a couple of entries but my promo collection is really lacklustre - I guess it's the scarcity of "promos" hindering submissions on Discogs.

That said, to me, Discogs is a never-ending art masterpiece in the making - with conscientious contributors, vinyl hunters, cassette hoggers, and CD lovers all under the same roof...approaching submissions or amendments with omnipresent digital forces from all corners of the world.

Piece by piece, this magik journey will, and have seen fruits of "music love" on a worldwide scale - to build a unified database for all to peruse at their chosen moments.

I would love to see more Taiwan, Hong Kong releases being contributed at a far accelerated rate --- given how massive the music scene has been growing in the past 20 years.
  • SeRKeT about 1 month ago

teninchfan

this comment rings true with me,in the last year or so
    i have been checking everything again one by one and obviously
    out of my 10k collection i found some variations to add such as
    different labels/sleeve pressing etc..
    but the only totally new sub i have added was Swiss....
    https://www.discogs.com/Positiv-4-Featuring-Dorothy-Cox-Think/release/10772550
    i have a few but not very many from Switzerland and checking the stats proves
    many are missing
    https://www.discogs.com/search/?country=Switzerland
    as for the obscure countries and releases not in English i would say
    there are way more missing, just clicking on the country and viewing stats shows that!
  • blumley about 1 month ago

Cassettes and 8-tracks still very patchy. 95% of my subs are cassettes, about 1/3 require a new submission, those that don't about 50% of the time require a major update.

I'd say things are probably still very scarcely documented in the world of classical and non-western music.
  • dolphyfan about 1 month ago

dolphyfan edited about 1 month ago
    I have several hundred releases not in the DB. Some are variants, but most are just not yet entered by anyone. Jazz, blues, Latin, folk, bluegrass, etc. I also have no idea what to do with releases in languages I don't understand and can't read or translate, like Arabic, or Indonesian.

Never mind catching up with the past are we keeping up with today?

How many new releases a week are there compared to the average rate of weekly submissions?

I'm guessing the latter is measureable but the former?

DNeils

velove is correct. You can submit them with placeholder titles and, if need be, even artists. If you do in addition to the suggestions already made post a request for help in the forums. In addition, there are a number of excellent groups where help is available for everything ranging from Japanese to Arabic. Post in the relevant language group. Between the forums and the groups I have always been able to get submissions in languages I don't know completed properly. This is one area where the Discogs community really shines.

dolphyfan
    I also have no idea what to do with releases in languages I don't understand and can't read or translate, like Arabic, or Indonesian.

Here is the Arabic Discogs forum. Help is waiting there.

I haven't found a group for Bahasa Indonesia but a forum post may well turn up someone fluent in the language.
  • Pheenixx about 1 month ago

I have hundreds of library music CDs to add, will probably take me years to complete them. Some are absolute pigs, check this one out....!!!

Mikey Razor - On Air 4 - Idents / Effects / Beds / Drones

Took me about 90 mins to do! :p

The_Beatles.
    How many new releases a week are there compared to the average rate of weekly submissions?

The rate in the last few years of "analogue" - only releases were documented by music week as roughly 75 singles and 150 albums a week. Not including numerous formats or variants in the UK alone. So assuming it was cd, cassette and in a few cases vinyl. Or 2 types of cd (deluxe / standard) or EP and mixes, that would make about 675 known released formats in the UK every week.

I'm sure the modern data can be found out for similar sources. Can only imagine the scale when expanded to worldwide releases
  • jweijde about 1 month ago

The_Beatles.
    are we keeping up with today?

I doubt it.
    https://www.billboard.com/biz/articles/news/1179201/business-matters-75000-albums-released-in-us-in-2010-down-22-from-2009
    "About 75,000 albums were released in 2010"

Probably a number of streaming-only albums are included in that figure but still. And that's only in the US.
  • DukeDev about 1 month ago

C&W 7"s, pre-1970, seem to be a ton of obscure/private pressings, and about 75% seem not to be in DB
  • JT_X about 1 month ago

Any thrift store in the American south probably has a dozen independently-released gospel records from the 1960s or ’70s that are not in the database. Any time I'm in one, I try to find one or two that are interesting and I'll sub them.

Just going through another batch of cassettes; There are a lot of Readers Digest sets missing also.

Children's stuff is wanting also. I get a bunch of scholastist stuff

Dave

I also have a bunch of independent Canadian release I have been doing for the last couple of years :( down to a few hundred left but 80% are new to DB

Wow! Lot of great input here.

The_Beatles.
    Oh another thought. If you go by format a lot of cassettes are missing IMO.

I still have boxes of advance versions of stuff that apparently isn't in yet. So much more to go.

djaeon
    label and pressing plant variations

I am surprised that I'm still finding major releases that I can still squeeze in a plant variant on.

brunorepublic
    Definitely 8-tracks.

I can attest to this. I bought a lot of about 100 8-tracks back in March. A lot of funk and jazz on good labels like Motown & Impulse. Maybe 10% were in the DB.
    DNeils

I have a growing box of these too I need to address.

velove

Good idea!

Pheenixx
    have hundreds of library music CDs to add, will probably take me years to complete them. Some are absolute pigs, check this one out....!!!

I know your pain. I have one that's a 2xDVD of 320k mp3s totalling out to like 1700 tracks that I've been neglecting to put in.

DukeDev
    C&W 7"s, pre-1970, seem to be a ton of obscure/private pressings, and about 75% seem not to be in DB

Yes. Private country 45's seem to be a pretty bottomless pit.
  • Pheenixx about 1 month ago

I've also added about 1000 Betacam SP tapes so far over the last year, still got another 4000 to go though... Diognes_The_Fox, is there any chance at all I could get a reply to my query below on the dedicated Betacam thread? I've come across quite a few cases where two different tapes are nigh-on identical and it seems pointless listing them both when they'd be better as variants IMO...

https://www.discogs.com/forum/thread/722472#7559715

Perhaps there should be more like the september thing, but with more focus on serten formats. Say march is 8-track submission month. May is private pressed vinyl month and so on.

There should also be a month where the focus is on updating/fixing legacy labels and or adding matrix/run-outs and the likes.

On the other hand is there 10000000 websubs every september so...
  • Yuu about 1 month ago

Areas lacking in particular:
    1. all kinds of 78rpm shellac records
    2. Japanese domestic music CDs and especially cassettes, also video releases
    3. classical releases, maybe more complete than above mentioned areas, but still lots are missing
    4. Russian/Bulgarian pirate releases - incredible how many variations exist - most probably still undocumented

Diognes_The_Fox edited about 1 month ago
    Silvermo
    Perhaps there should be more like the september thing.

I don't want to give away much here, but this is going to be under our team instead this year. I am very excited.
  • mtumesalaam about 1 month ago

One of the big things I've noticed is how many widely available (and top-selling) hip-hop and R&B releases are listed as having one generic U.S. CD version. No pressing variants of any kind. I'm always reticent to add specific info, because that would technically invalidate numerous peoples' sales listings and collection items.

But then, I also hesitate to add a separate listing because someone could come along and make a merge request, which, I suppose would be accurate. In most cases, I just leave it as a generic 'U.S.' release with no plant info.

Any suggestions on how best to address this? Add a new version and put a note saying that the other version is generic? I don't know....
  • seveninch about 1 month ago

mtumesalaam
    I'm always reticent to add specific info, because that would technically invalidate numerous peoples' sales listings and collection items.

Add specific info. That's what we have this database for. Generic listings make no sense at all.

Diognes_The_Fox
    Private country 45's seem to be a pretty bottomless pit.

Oh yeah. Country 45's in general really. The last couple of years have helped, but I doubt it's more than two years since I almost had to add half the big name 45's I had. Custom gospel recordings are also still missing tons of releases. Probably the only custom genres that have been covered well are very collectible things like garage-rock and soul.

I'm also seeing lots of missing variants of common worthless 70's and 80's pop albums. All those artists nobody wants to remember. They're all here, but usually with generic listings or just one pressing for each country.
  • itsgreatshakes about 1 month ago

Yeah, there must still be thousands of 45s not in the database and that's just for US pressings. I still see things in my collection quite frequently that aren't in the db. Sometimes, it's a stock copy of a release that has a promo version entered or vice-versa. Sometimes the record isn't in the db at all.
  • mtumesalaam about 1 month ago

seveninch
    Add specific info. That's what we have this database for. Generic listings make no sense at all.

I hear you. Maybe what I can do is go ahead and add the specific matrix / pressing plant / SID info and then also add a note in the Submission section saying that the entry was previously generic and if, after my update, others now realize that they have different versions, they should make a new entry. ??

Trying to balance improving the accuracy of the database vs nitpicking over "unnecessary" details.

Diognes_The_Fox
    I don't want to give away much here, but this is going to be under our team instead this year. I am very excited.

I hope this is an aprovement to the last years. Lets see how this plays out.

But I was serious in my sugjestion (thats not how to spell that word). A "september thing" but focust on fixing things/adding more info to subs would probly be a good thing. Getting the users to focus on (for example) adding matrix/run out variants or a specific type of releases would probly help inproving the database. We are quite a few users with a waaaay to long to do list (i myself have to many releases that needs to be added, too many old submissions that need to be fixed and too many releases inmy collection that i need to update/fix) so some sort of indication on what to focus on for some time would be good

mtumesalaam
    Any suggestions on how best to address this? Add a new version and put a note saying that the other version is generic? I don't know....

If the specific info is missing then add the info, if ppl then have the "wrong" item in collection/for sale then they can add their item. The database is priority one, not sellers who sell items

Silvermo edited about 1 month ago
    seveninch
    I'm also seeing lots of missing variants of common worthless 70's and 80's pop albums. All those artists nobody wants to remember. They're all here, but usually with generic listings or just one pressing for each country.

This is probly the most missing/less likley to be added part. The "trash" high selling albums. Ppl (atleast I) tend to add the wierd/rare stuff but the 3000th pressing of a (then) popular album/single is less likley to be added.

Edit: I dont have the time/energy to add releases im not intrested in as I have more than enough "good" releases to add, and I think this is a problem with this site, few ppl want to spend time adding a "unintresting" releases as they have enough to add that intrest them.

Edit 2: there are ofc some brave souls that spend an hour or two adding a releases that have no value (to them), but I dont think that is that may ppl
  • trailoff about 1 month ago

There's lots of unknown underground hip hop from the mid 90's to the early 2000's to be discovered out there to add as well as countless private pressed cd's. Of course my pile of classical to add only seems to keep growing. When I first joined I went crazy adding all my 8-tracks, still have a few boxes of less interesting titles to get to eventually. And oh so many missing reissues on all formats from all genres.
  • JamesIII about 1 month ago

DukeDev

I've got boxes of these that mostly aren't in the database. I don't get around to submitting them because there are still so many 50s-60s soul and R&B records I'm adding to my collection that need to be put in the database.
  • MusicNutter about 1 month ago

Many gospel stuff, Matt Redman, Chris Tomlin, Graham Kendrick, Vinesong, not everything is added.

Some celtic, Bannal, Bi Beo, Kyle Carey,

Some obscure scottish tapes/cds, John Martin, Christine MacIver, Christine Martin, Christine Primrose, Seudan

Some lismor tapes
  • gruffd1 about 1 month ago

Polka . Classical . Country 45s . Everything Latin. Gospel records.

Audio books. Especially on cassette
  • Plastic-Demons about 1 month ago

CD & CDr Promo's are still one of the main missing formats that I come across, that could be due to the fact that I have a large amount of them that I've accumulated. I've got about three thousand that still need to be added to my collection, I would say that there's atleast a thousand that I know are missing because I've checked them already.

The embargo on 'Unofficial' releases that prevents them from being sold on the marketplace, is also going to result in them not being entered on to the site at all sadly, one area that has had a knock-on effect with is many of the Hip Hop CDr 'Mixtape' releases available, I've got a box with about 150 releases that are likely to fall into that category, many of them Gangsta & Thug Rap promo releases or ones like this DJ Break Presents Eminem - DJ Break Presents Eminem which has been blocked. The incentive to list a release that has 40+ tracks is absolutely zero, it was a different matter when they could still be sold but not now. The same goes for all the cassette labels that have been blocked from the marketplace like 747, any releases that are marked as 'Unofficial' in the format are blocked, those that aren't listed as unofficial are still able to be sold for now, but again it's unlikely I'll be adding any of the ones I own as I prioritise items that can be sold. The use of the unofficial format on those releases is very much a grey area still, I personally would say that the tag is used incorrectly on items manufactured in countries, that have no copyright laws in place so they're not unofficial in the country of release.

Thanks everyone for posting here! It's great to see people excited about this. You've all done so much to bring the database from a bedroom electronic discography to the biggest community built music database. We've done so much and it sounds like we've got so much more to go.

Pheenixx
    s there any chance at all I could get a reply to my query below on the dedicated Betacam thread?

Done!

seveninch
    Custom gospel recordings are also still missing tons of releases.

Goodness, yeah. Every once in awhile I'll stumble into a whole collection and none of it will be in DB.

Silvermo
    Edit 2: there are ofc some brave souls that spend an hour or two adding a releases that have no value (to them), but I dont think that is that may ppl

Fighting the good fight. I know there's a bunch of us that scrape thrift stores and stuff for new things to sub. One of the reasons I add dud records is to establish that those records are duds so that other people won't make the same mistakes digging that I did.

JamesIII
    I don't get around to submitting them because there are still so many 50s-60s soul and R&B records I'm adding to my collection that need to be put in the database.

Nice!
  • Moon_Ray about 1 month ago

Hey all based on the comments above it looks like one way to look for gaps in the DB is to check out patterns in the number of Releases by Year, Format, Genre and Country.

I've just finished digging through the DB looking for high level patterns around these and have summarised the findings here: Where are the gaps in the Discogs Database?.

Given that September (and S.P.IN) is just around the corner why don't we use our understanding of what's left to submit to set some more specific goals this year, instead of just total Subs? I could build leaderboards for a couple of goals.

And if anyone wants me to dive deeper into any of these groupings (i.e 'How many 8-Track Jazz tapes were released in Cuba between 1975 and 1980') just ask!
  • AndyP-UK about 1 month ago

Interesting, what did you do with 'unknown' release date submissions ? what % of releases are unknown, is it significant?

Shellacs look extremely small in comparison to other formats, they need putting while they still exist.

Silvermo
    A "september thing" but focust on fixing things/adding more info to subs would probly be a good thing.

There have been a few ideas of what to work on here like sorting out and properly identifying variants in larger master releases, getting profiles on numbered artist/label pages. Things that should have a big benefit for everyone who has to work with the data.

Also looking for projects for that which might have similar impacts if there's suggestions.

Moon_Ray
    And if anyone wants me to dive deeper into any of these groupings (i.e 'How many 8-Track Jazz tapes were released in Cuba between 1975 and 1980') just ask!

Highly recommended! He's great at this!

Diognes_The_Fox
    getting profiles on numbered artist/label pages.

I'd like to think this would be helpful. I almost can't believe the number of times that I've run across things lazily submitted to incorrect artist/label profiles.

I was just looking at a single submission a few minutes ago. it's submitted to the incorrect artist and, while the label appears to be correct, several other submissions to that label are wrong.

Diognes_The_Fox edited about 1 month ago
    itsgreatshakes
    I'd like to think this would be helpful. I almost can't believe the number of times that I've run across things lazily submitted to incorrect artist/label profiles.

Also I am sure we all could benefit from not having to look through 25(0) unrelated John Smith profiles to find one that matches potentially.

itsgreatshakes
    I was just looking at a single submission a few minutes ago. it's submitted to the incorrect artist and, while the label appears to be correct, several other submissions to that label are wrong.

This somehow for me frequently turns an intention to add something simple like a track duration into editing twelve subs, starting two merges, and a forum thread. ;)

Diognes_The_Fox
    Also I am sure we all could benefit from not having to look through 25(0) unrelated John Smith profiles to find one that matches potentially.

That would be hugely helpful.

The_Beatles. edited about 1 month ago
    Diognes_The_Fox
    Also looking for projects for that which might have similar impacts if there's suggestions.

Here's one. I applaud the effort to increase the number of submissions but we should be looking at decreasing them. Let's have a leader-board based around the number of successfully identified and subsequently merged releases.

Duplicate data is worse than missing data in my book. I accept it's not as 'sexy sounding' as increasing the database by a certain % or number of releases but I'm sure it would be useful.

Edit: Typo
  • timhorton69 about 1 month ago

The_Beatles.
    Let's have a leader-board based around the number of succesfully identified and subsequently merged releases.
    I'm actually not so keen on a competitive approach to merging releases. To me this encourages over-enthusiastic and careless merging. A case in point for me is the incorrect merge of an Australian version of The Wall. Someone who's familiar with Australian releases would know the fine details that would have needed to be checked (in this case, the publishers). It also seems this merge was caught up in a bit of a frenzy to deal with one particular contributor's poor submissions (which type of action has shown in numerous forum discussions to be fraught with difficulties). However, the apparent enthusiasm for the merge led to the essential removal of a valid release. That's not good in my books, and could occur more frequently with a competitive approach.

timhorton69
    I'm actually not so keen on a competitive approach to merging releases. To me this encourages over-enthusiastic and careless merging.

You could be right but at least there is peer-review before a merge takes place. There's no peer-review before a release is submitted. A major number of complaints regarding past SPIN initiatives were based around the quality of submissions.
  • GroovingPict about 1 month ago

Diognes_The_Fox
    While there's always going to be new things coming out to be added, I am very curious about larger gaps in the database where we could shine some light on.

Early shellac era. As in the acoustic era (i.e. pre-1925), I mean, after that too when it comes to shellac, but especially the acoustic era. Artists that were hugely popular at the time are barely represented here at all... if indeed they are represented at all. The music world consisted of more than just Enrico Caruso back then :p

Also, cassettes. Any cassettes. I can grab a random handful of cassettes from my collection right now (that I havent already gone through and added) and I can almost guarantee that at least 9 out of 10 wont already be in the database. And these arent rare releases or anything.

I know most are focused on vinyl here, but hey, you asked :)
  • AutumnAarilyn about 1 month ago

1)The biggest gap for what I collect is in smooth jazz from the past 10 years or so. Alot of it is indie and most of it is marginal as far as sales and quality of performance.

2) I do notice current releases are slow to get put into the database which would cost Discogs sales.

3) Indie artists distributed through CD baby don't always have all of their releases on the database.

4) Current Mainstream jazz is slow to get into the database.
  • borderes about 1 month ago

Diognes_The_Fox

That's why I think that if you know that "John" is "John Smithox", better create under that PAN with a profile (even basic) rather than creating "John (256)"
    Over what limit (30 ? 50 ?) you think a normal user will stop searching for "his" John ? Resulting into using "John" (the first one ending being a generic one, eventually not so bad solution), "John(2)" (because on this indie probably not the first created, so another), "John (19)" ( randomly chosen), or John (256) (yet another creation even though already existing as John (67) ...
  • Moon_Ray about 1 month ago

AndyP-UK
    Interesting, what did you do with 'unknown' release date submissions ? what % of releases are unknown, is it significant?

I looked at volume of releases by Format, Genre and Region/Country alone but it's not very insightful. Adding Year was the best way to create a dataset with insightful patterns, but it meant I had to remove all the Releases without a year of release...

Roughly 6% of all Releases have no Year.
  • GroovingPict about 1 month ago

Moon_Ray
    AndyP-UKInteresting, what did you do with 'unknown' release date submissions ? what % of releases are unknown, is it significant?

I looked at volume of releases by Format, Genre and Region/Country alone but it's not very insightful. Adding Year was the best way to create a dataset with insightful patterns, but it meant I had to remove all the Releases without a year of release...

It is also worth noting that the vast majority of submissions that do have a year have the wrong year, to the point where this is now a pretty much completely useless feature. People see the original copyright year and adds (for example) 1965 to their release despite it being an obviously much later pressing. The date field cannot be trusted at all.
  • AndyP-UK about 1 month ago

Moon_Ray

Thanks for getting back on that.
    I would have thought that volume of releases by format, Digital vs Physical ;) when plotted against actual date input to the database would be an interesting chart and could include all releases and would show the gradual increase of digital formats, spiking in September of course! But don't let me distract you from your current task :)

borderes
    That's why I think that if you know that "John" is "John Smithox", better create under that PAN with a profile (even basic) rather than creating "John (256)"

Yes. Agreed.
  • Bradx about 1 month ago

Bradx edited about 1 month ago
    Plastic-Demons
    CD & CDr Promo's are still one of the main missing formats that I come across,

At one point I had more than 20,000 promos CDs/CDrs in my flat. A lot of them were 1 track promos which I find quite boring. I cleared the basement of a radio station. Very, very few were in the DB. I took the more interesting ones for myself and then some guy came round and made me an offer for the rest, so I gladly got rid them all in one hit.
    I still have another 10,000+ promos left.... the better end. Now and again I sub a few but my heart's not really in it.

But yeah - there must be countless thousands of CD/CDr promos that aren't in the DB.

Another incomplete area in the DB would be Library CDs. There were boxes and boxes of them in the radio station basement but I didn't want them so they got skipped.
  • Sapporo_Records about 1 month ago

Jarren
    Japanese promos!

The regular LPs are always listed, but the "sample" copies are usually not. They can be identified by three Japanese symbols (見本盤) on the labels, as well as having a small red sticker across the spine (or a large white sticker on the rear cover) featuring the same symbols.

The amount of times I see regular copy listings with "PROMO" or "SAMPLE COPY"...

yeah I've got a 100 or so Japanese pressings of lp's I could enter, quite a few promos in there. Have listed plenty of 7"s before but no lp's yet. It's just too fiddly and frankly I can't be buggered. Let's face it, it's work, and as it's work some mutha is gonna have to pay me to do it

Just last night, I pulled a few 45s that aren't in the database. Interestingly, there are compilation listings for a couple of these but not the 45s, themselves.

There's no way to document everything or even approach it. Even if we were just trying to get all of the 45s entered, there's no way we'd ever come close.

Bradx
    But yeah - there must be countless thousands of CD/CDr promos that aren;t in the DB.

One of my suppliers has threatened me with boxes of thousands of undocumented CDr advance copies.

itsgreatshakes
    There's no way to document everything or even approach it. Even if we were just trying to get all of the 45s entered, there's no way we'd ever come close.

I don't think we'll get it all (some stuff just doesn't exist anymore), but I do think we'll get close. Especially so, if we can convince the people holding the stuff not yet contributed that they're holding a missing piece of the puzzle.

Diognes_The_Fox
    I don't think we'll get it all (some stuff just doesn't exist anymore), but I do think we'll get close. Especially so, if we can convince the people holding the stuff not yet contributed that they're holding a missing piece of the puzzle.

Perhaps, I just think there's a lot more missing than people realize. I just found yet another 45 I can submit that already has a compilation listing. Anything that's been comped is certainly better known than the thousands of obscure 45s that will never be compiled anywhere.
  • reapermadness about 1 month ago

I love this thread, even though I have lost my drive to submit anything lately ...

I know that new jazz is trickling in, much slower than the stuff is released in the real world. I get a lot of freebies and I can still find things I got five or six years ago that aren't in the db yet. Somebody up above mentioned smooth jazz - I see a lot of promo singles in that genre that aren't in the db and will probably never be in unless I submit them. There are also many radio transcription discs from the CD era that are still waiting to be submitted. (I have been holding onto a few CDs of opera broadcasts that I'll hopefully get around to someday.)

As others have said, cassettes, 8-tracks and 78s and still quite underrepresented. Audiobooks seem pretty light.

Even in areas that you would think are mostly complete - like classic American jazz LPs - I still find new label variations almost every time I pick up a new haul.

And then there's files. There's no way we're getting even close to 1% of the podcasts that are being produced these days. My employer alone churns out dozens of them every week.

One way I think could increse the subs a bit would be to pay experiensed subbers/forum members a small symbolc sum/merch for x amount of c&c subs.

At least I would probly be more inclined to sub the things in my piles then. Not saying im experiensed enough, but if I was.

Or that staff voted on those users subs, even geting some votes, and we all know there are way to few positive votes handed out, would perhaps gice ppl a boost in energy to submit more.

Myself im more active here in the forum then I am at submiting these days. So now the pile of stuff keeps building at home

reapermadness
    I love this thread, even though I have lost my drive to submit anything lately ...

That happens to me too sometimes. You do a lot of good subs here, it's appreciated!

itsgreatshakes
    Perhaps, I just think there's a lot more missing than people realize. I just found yet another 45 I can submit that already has a compilation listing. Anything that's been comped is certainly better known than the thousands of obscure 45s that will never be compiled anywhere.

The records that people cared about in the 90's are a different pile of records than today. I'm hopeful that eventually everything is going to have it's moment, even if it's 20 years from now.

I know it's a little optimistic, but if it happens, it will all have been worthwhile.

velove edited about 1 month ago
    https://www.discogs.com/style/volksmusik is still missing most releases.
    Just adding a release on Helvetia
    Looking at cat#. from HL 100 to HL 399 there are 18 releases in the db. That's 6%. And that's on the most popular format, vinyl.
    [Edit] Forgot to check the H 100 to H 400. There are quite a few more in there. Making it 17% in DB for that range, which is not bad but still 83% missing.

probably less then 1% of the 8-tracks are submitted and maybe 2 or 3% of the cassettes on this label.

All the budget cassette labels with often cover versions probably have only about 1% in the DB. As most thrift stores don't even keep/offer cassettes anymore this is a fight against times to get them all in the DB while there are still copies. Same is true for all the 8-Tracks
  • uzumaki about 1 month ago

Thai releases. There's less than 12,000 in Discogs, I added a few and about 95% was not in the db.
  • jbuckf50 about 1 month ago

Baltimore Club
  • brunorepublic about 1 month ago

brunorepublic edited about 1 month ago
    GroovingPict
    I can grab a random handful of cassettes from my collection right now (that I havent already gone through and added) and I can almost guarantee that at least 9 out of 10 wont already be in the database. And these arent rare releases or anything.

Maybe it's just Canadian/US cassettes which are getting better documented, but I don't find this is the case anymore. That might be because they were the biggest-selling format in Canada and the US from about 1982 to 1991; I understand they were less popular in the UK and western Europe (then again, there are other countries where they were often the *only* format available).

I just grabbed 11 cassettes out of the dollar bins today, mostly mainstream stuff from Canada and the US. Only three weren't in the db, and one of those did exist, but was a *very minor* variation.

Then again, one user in particular has subbed an astonishing number of Canadian cassette releases, so perhaps what I'm seeing is all from the efforts of MylarAndVinyl.
  • AndyEvans2 about 1 month ago

Diognes_The_Fox
    borderesThat's why I think that if you know that "John" is "John Smithox", better create under that PAN with a profile (even basic) rather than creating "John (256)"

Yes. Agreed.

Is that allowed? I thought if a PAN is never used it can't be the PAN?

Diognes_The_Fox
    One of my suppliers has threatened me with boxes of thousands of undocumented CDr advance copies.

That's like heaven & hell all wrapped up in one collection

uzumaki
    Thai releases.

I have a few suppliers of these. I got a few left that I have no idea how to look up as there's no catalog numbers so I don't know if I'm adding duplicates if I try.

jbuckf50
    Baltimore Club

It surprises me how little of this in the DB. I also really need a functioning reel to reel player as I possibly found an exclusive DJ Technics mix from a radio DJ's collection.

brunorepublic
    Maybe it's just Canadian/US cassettes which are getting better documented, but I don't find this is the case anymore. That might be because they were the biggest-selling format in Canada and the US from about 1982 to 1991; I understand they were less popular in the UK and western Europe (then again, there are other countries where they were often the *only* format available).

I just found a whole box of undocumented cassingles in my back room. Might be a fun side project once I get this batch of LP's/12's imaged.

brunorepublic
    Then again, one user in particular has subbed an astonishing number of Canadian cassette releases, so perhaps what I'm seeing is all from the efforts of MylarAndVinyl.

Keep up the great work!

Diognes_The_Fox
    I got a few left that I have no idea how to look up as there's no catalog numbers so I don't know if I'm adding duplicates if I try.

using an app like google translate will actually recognize the letters from many scripts correctly. they can than be copy/pasted and used for searching.
  • Jessuproad about 1 month ago

Still tons of shellac to be cataloged, especially small and discount labels, but also major label stuff from the 20s and earlier.

Diognes_The_Fox
    That happens to me too sometimes. You do a lot of good subs here, it's appreciated!

I am in awe of the amount of submissions you've made, the novelty wore off for me many years ago when it was still a much simpler process, it was only the introduction of the 'Draft copy' feature that got me subbing again.
  • MylarAndVinyl about 1 month ago

Thanks brunorepublic, for the nod, otherwise I wouldn't have even known about this thread.

There is a lot of stuff on this thread to grasp. One thing that did seem stand out was that most feel the loss of certain formats and the Artist they contain may never be added. Well, IMHO, the DB will never be complete, a rather utopian idea; as more and more of certain formats, i.e., shellacs, cassettes, 4-track & 8-track become landfill mainly due to the lack of popularity and, more likely, profitability, inevitably fewer of them will be found and listed.

I try to add as many as humanly possible, yet I still have some 8500 cassettes, of various genre, not in "My Collection" on Discogs and I'd guess 500± of them haven't seen the light of day in 45+ years; granted some of those may already be in the database, time will tell. I also have some 200 cassettes stacked up waiting for OS replies as to clarification of their submission, likely which I'll never get, rather frustrating actually. Images, even though not currently mandatory, of the front & back covers and the labels, would make clarification a less of a necessity, even fair camera images are far better than none at all; of course some users may not wish to add images and just want get their release into the DB, I get that.

Sometimes it is just the shear amount of time that some formats/releases entail would discourage some users to add them, self included. What would be really useful, is a join, a sub-function to copy-to-draft that would allow for joining 2 or more releases into one copy-to-draft. For example I have 20+ shellac compilations, where several albums were bundled together into one hard cover titled catalogue/book style release, this would be useful for box sets as well. The current method is to pick one of them as a copy-to-draft, then copy&paste the others into it, this is both tedious and time consuming; especially if all them are already listed as individual releases.

As for 8-tracks, shellacs, vinyl & Cds, I still have over 10,000 of those combined, which are yet to be catalogued into "My Collection"; I may have to pull a Shirley MacLaine and come around again just to complete the task. Meanwhile, I guess I'll keep adding them one at a time, for as long as I'm able.
  • kwulf about 1 month ago

I got twenty five 78s the other day and only 2 were already in (I subbed the rest). I reckon that this percentage applies for the whole shellac section here (maybe excluding the ones from the US, UK, Germany and a few other 'major' countries).

I have a few hundred Latin 78’s that were just gifted to me . I am hoping to get them subbed soon . Stuff is building up garage is full :(

kwulf
    I got twenty five 78s the other day and only 2 were already in (I subbed the rest). I reckon that this percentage applies for the whole shellac section here (maybe excluding the ones from the US, UK, Germany and a few other 'major' countries).

One of the resources that are available are the adverts on the sleeves. I have in front of me a Capitol Records of Canada 10" sleeve which has the following statement;

" Here is a complete listing of "collector's records" for it represents the greatest collection of all-time favorites on record, each performed by a top recording star. Use it as a guide in building your record collection"

All Of Me...Billy May.....C818
    Always...Billy May.....C925
    Artistry In Rhythm...Stan Kenton.....C124
    At Last...Ray Anthony.....C887 etc etc

There are 119 releases listed.

Why can't we have a placeholder submission, similar to a draft submission. In both cases the info can't be used in the market place to sell a release because it is incomplete. It would allow for basic info to be entered. You could restrict the use of a Placeholder Submission to experienced users only

Dave