• edovan about 1 month ago

edovan edited about 1 month ago
    So what's the point of the Discogs Spotlight box that have appeared at the top of my dashboard? It's promoting yet another overpriced vinyl reissue of an album that I already have, and it can't be closed/disabled.
    Just annoying.
  • Jarren about 1 month ago

I thought Discogs was supposed to be ad free when you logged in!

If it was removable I wouldn't mind too much, but yeah there's no X and no way to disable it.
  • Blacktocomm about 1 month ago

Just noticed this and, yeah, it really sucks! Very annoying
  • MechaKucha about 1 month ago

We don't need adverts
  • Earjerk about 1 month ago

No, thanks....
  • flipster about 1 month ago

First 2 columns are full of old predictable artists, not much new and exciting there, looks like a Mojo mag playlist.
  • OLDFRIENDSFORSALE about 1 month ago

OLDFRIENDSFORSALE edited about 1 month ago
    The dashboard is always ful of spam...
    there's no X and no way to disable it.

If they can do this modules..., isn’t it a piece of cake for Development to split the BaoI in two sections?
    https://www.discogs.com/forum/thread/777314
  • 1stverse about 1 month ago

I'm neither a fan of this large new ad space on my dashboard nor of the reissue subscription service that has been promoted in that space each time I have logged in today.
  • jason.gero.9 about 1 month ago

I was less annoyed at the sudden appearance of a new advertising module on the dashboard designed to not be disabled than what was actually being displayed within said module. "Vinyl" is not a verb!

Thumbs down Discogs.
  • valparaiso about 1 month ago

No adverts please.

I'd be curious to hear a word from staff about that giant eyesore that takes a third of my field of vision on the homepage.
    nik, Diognes_The_Fox, NessFan, stace-cadet, famous_mortimer, LowEnd91
  • BurntManRecordsInc about 1 month ago

Big brother baloney
  • jens668 about 1 month ago

I don't see an advert there because I use an adblocker, nevertheless I don't like the box and what's more important, I don't like the idea behind it. I always thought Discogs is a free and user based data bank.

jens668
    what's more important, I don't like the idea behind it. I always thought Discogs is a free and user based data bank.

+1
  • VinylVault.online about 1 month ago

This is a fail
  • _jules about 1 month ago

https://www.discogs.com/getstarted/
    Get Started on Discogs
    Accounts are absolutely free – jump in and enjoy full access immediately! Never a membership fee, no trial periods or “premium” sections, and no advertisements – just open an account and get started!

dharmachine - Care to explain how this persistent googleads module adds up with the no advertisements promise?

Thanks!

I actually think that Discogs literally consider this to be a feature and not an ad (which of course would be pure nonsense as it's promoting a third party product). That's why they gave it a name, "Discogs Spotlight", because if you name it you can't kill it...
  • Manys about 1 month ago

well, it's not an advertisement...yet.
  • ultimathulerecords about 1 month ago

edovan
    So what's the point of the Discogs Spotlight box that have appeared at the top of my dashboard? It's promoting yet another overpriced vinyl reissue

Annoying. It's also slowing down Discogs. Or something is. And I'm not interested in Queen.
  • stevefreeman about 1 month ago

valparaiso
    No adverts please.

ultimathulerecords
    Annoying.

+ 1
  • inexpressible about 1 month ago

• mcr1 about 1 month ago

I too don't wish to see adverts on any page I view when logged in.
  • zero_kelvin about 1 month ago

Next week....it will feature only dropshippers ads....i'm afraid.
  • Scanner about 1 month ago

MechaKucha
    I'd be curious to hear a word from..

I suppose it sweet to expect a word from staff. What do you expect? Appologise? Explanation? *bhaha*
  • pigstyman about 1 month ago

Everything can be removed from the Dashboard, this is the ONLY thing that can't!
    Should be something very important, I bet it will multiply everywhere on the site if it is not killed right now.
  • more_music about 1 month ago

Please Admin if you bother to read the forum can you get rid of this sh*t
    It's bad enough you allowing adverts on the admin page but making it so we cannot zap it just builds resentment, also, let's be honest, the company advertising are a cash-in bunch selling reissues, if we HAVE to have adverts, how about new talent etc.??
  • anagrama about 1 month ago

Kill it with fire.

At closer inspection, the HTML id of this box is "advertisement-module" - so they are fully aware of what they're doing.

If you are using the Stylish add-on Chrome or Firefox, you can easily hide this box by adding:
    #advertisement-module {
    display: none;
    }

And maybe mattsalcido could add a "Hide Discogs Spotlight" option to the Discogs Enhancer add-on?
  • streppe about 1 month ago

An add blocker will block the add, but the 'title' discogs spotlight + a small box remain on the dashboard.
  • Lord-CBD about 1 month ago

It looks like a blue screen. What is it?
  • zin about 1 month ago

Ugh this sucks
  • la-voie-du-sabre about 1 month ago

can't see anything at all

jealous
  • inexpressible about 1 month ago

More than 10 million releases in the database, almost 50 million items in the marketplace, and Discogs still doesn't take its users and their requests seriously.
  • hymns about 1 month ago

gross, egregious, greedy
  • bobbley about 1 month ago

MechaKucha
    I'd be curious to hear a word from staff

I raised an SR (not realising that people had raised it here):
    "We are presenting some new curation and content features on our dashboard. Feedback is welcome and will be shared with our product development team!"
    ...was staff response.

I responded saying take it away - I don't want to see it. I did ask in my response if there was any official forum thread to respond within...No reply to that yet.

edovan
    the HTML id of this box is "advertisement-module"

my mouse reveals 'googleads.g.doubleclick.net' which I thought was just wrong-diddly-wrong-wrong while logged in, so fired the SR off straight away...gobsmacked to hear it's deliberate!
  • gruffd1 about 1 month ago

https://www.discogs.com/getstarted/
    Get Started on Discogs
    Accounts are absolutely free – jump in and enjoy full access immediately! Never a membership fee, no trial periods or “premium” sections, and no advertisements – just open an account and get started!

This
  • sirupp about 1 month ago

i don't like this spotlight, frankly i really don't need any announcements or promos on my dashboard. i always [[X]] them without reading, same for the blue banners about cookies or language settings.
  • EarDrops about 1 month ago

Get this crap off my dashboard!!!
  • OneEyedWilly about 1 month ago

I have an Adblocker so it blocks it but the little box is still there. Tbh I didn't even notice it till I seen this thread.
  • typoman2 about 1 month ago

I just started by accident another thread in Development – https://www.discogs.com/forum/thread/780627 … because I thought it must be a bug, sigh, well, another much needed feature I see now.
    I wanna have the crap removed!!!!
  • Greyhound about 1 month ago

+1
    Please remove this.
  • randomdestructn about 1 month ago

IMO, Just install an ad blocker and move on with life.

It's practically required equipment for navigating the modern web.

As a bonus, you can remove annoying non-ad portions of web pages, like that 'beta' banner that ran across the top of the collection page and couldn't be disabled. Not sure if it's still there, since I've blocked it.
  • Nordlichtnomade about 1 month ago

Nordlichtnomade edited about 1 month ago
    Another +1 for not wanting any advertising on my Discogs pages.
    Stuff, please remove this new ‘feature’

(Hm, why do I feel that this thread would need much more than 10,000 Discogs members with a +1 for removal request until there is the slightest chance that this might really be ever removed - maybe this is just my annual pessimistic day of the year)
  • ResearchProductsCorp about 1 month ago

Change the thread title to something more obvious so we can get some more input and staff action.

Nordlichtnomade
    maybe this is just my annual pessimistic day of the year

I suppose it could be your "annual realistic day of the year" based on my expiriences with such "helpful user features" here.

ResearchProductsCorp
    Change the thread title to something more obvious so we can get some more input and staff action.

Done. :-)
  • stanleyjordan about 1 month ago

Anyone figured out how to remove this thing from the dashboard or at least change the position?
  • 7jlong about 1 month ago

+1

“Spare Me, Please.”
  • ziggiole about 1 month ago

inexpressible
    More than 10 million releases in the database, almost 50 million items in the marketplace, and Discogs still doesn't take its users and their requests seriously.

Thumbs up!
  • Disco_Ste about 1 month ago

Can't create a simple function to block sellers but can spend time creating this hugely unwanted advertising shite.
  • hymns about 1 month ago

Every time I see that thing it just aggravates me more.
  • seppuku about 1 month ago

stanleyjordan
    Anyone figured out how to remove this thing from the dashboard or at least change the position?

streppe
    An add blocker will block the add, but the 'title' discogs spotlight + a small box remain on the dashboard.

randomdestructn
    Just install an ad blocker and move on with life.

It's practically required equipment for navigating the modern web.

As a bonus, you can remove annoying non-ad portions of web pages, like that 'beta' banner that ran across the top of the collection page and couldn't be disabled. Not sure if it's still there, since I've blocked it.

The adblocker on my browser, uBlock Origin, automatically blocked the advert itself, and with a couple of clicks I was able to hide the "Discogs Spotlight" box from the dashboard too. Most adblockers will have a similar feature. edovan's post above mentions another method for hiding the box, using the Stylish add-on.
  • bobbley about 1 month ago

OneEyedWilly
    I have an Adblocker so it blocks it but the little box is still there.

On my mobile, the little box takes up literally half the dashboard display...so all I see is a big blue box every time my dashboard loads up!
  • Synature about 1 month ago

+1 to remove "spotlight" advertisement.

Disco_Ste
    Can't Won't create a simple function to block sellers but can spend time creating this hugely unwanted advertising shite.

Completely agree but I think you're giving Discogs a bit of a pass so I updated your comment ;-)
  • MissingPlanet about 1 month ago

bobbley
    On my mobile, the little box takes up literally half the dashboard display...so all I see is a big blue box every time my dashboard loads up!

This. Discogs, get rid of this useless feature please.
  • zero_kelvin about 1 month ago

I stopped using the dashboard. Byebye.
    Just never log out and stay always in your mailbox.
  • velove about 1 month ago

jens668
    I don't see an advert there because I use an adblocker,

everyone who complains about it, just google how to install an adblocker and you discogs will live up to it's promise of no ads when logged in.

Not saying that this should be necessary, just saying that there is a workaround. And as long as they claim to be adfree, it sounds legitimate to me to actually make it adfree.
  • NessFan about 1 month ago

Hey Everyone,

Thanks for jumping into the forums so quickly after we released this new feature to your Dashboards, I've been waiting since yesterday to hear directly from you. I want to address some concerns upfront, and provide some more details to you that might help frame the intention of this new feature and possibly also get a pulse for other options we can explore from this point forward for you.

Jarren
    I thought Discogs was supposed to be ad free when you logged in! If it was removable I wouldn't mind too much, but yeah there's no X and no way to disable it.

valparaiso
    No adverts please.

mcr1
    I too don't wish to see adverts on any page I view when logged in.

zero_kelvin
    Next week....it will feature only dropshippers ads....i'm afraid.

pigstyman
    Everything can be removed from the Dashboard, this is the ONLY thing that can't!
    Should be something very important, I bet it will multiply everywhere on the site if it is not killed right now.

more_music
    It's bad enough you allowing adverts on the admin page but making it so we cannot zap it just builds resentment, also, let's be honest, the company advertising are a cash-in bunch selling reissues, if we HAVE to have adverts, how about new talent etc.??

Nordlichtnomade
    Another +1 for not wanting any advertising on my Discogs pages.

Synature
    +1 to remove "spotlight" advertisement.

This is important for us to hear — specifically because the intention of this feature is to show a Label partnership highlight, not “an ad”. People can’t just buy this space through an advertising network or advertising exchange, this is a human-to-human collaboration, and commitment on both sides to agree on what should be highlighted here if anything. Our hope is to rotate content out with highlighting internal Discogs features, articles, events, etc. in this space in the future as well. We certainly don’t want to lead people into thinking that we are just opening the door to the highest bidder, so to speak.

I also want to mention that this is a test to see if there’s interest in spotlights that include label partners surfacing new releases and reissues to the Community. This is our first foray, and as usual, need to hear from all of you on how this impacts your experience. We use data and feedback together to empower change at Discogs. Try to keep in mind that the more specific you can be about requests or concerns the easier it will be for us to internally articulate for future development.

edovan
    So what's the point of the Discogs Spotlight box that have appeared at the top of my dashboard?

The point is to provide a place for Discogs to highlight curated content on your dashboard.

flipster
    First 2 columns are full of old predictable artists

Could you provide a little more detail on what you’re referencing here? I’m interested in understanding this feedback better. Thanks!

OLDFRIENDSFORSALE
    If they can do this modules..., isn’t it a piece of cake for Development to split the BaoI in two sections?

Unfortunately, the code we use on the Dashboard is not the same code that’s used to support BaoI, so it’s not like we can copy + paste, and be done with it. The BaoI change here would need to be treated as its own unique project with its own requirements, priority, etc. I think that thread is in the right place to be seen by the team responsible for maintenance and improvement of that feature specifically, though.

bobbley

MissingPlanet
    This. Discogs, get rid of this useless feature please.

Have you given our Official Discogs App a try yet? I’m wondering if this would be a better experience for you.

MechaKucha
    I'd be curious to hear a word from staff about that giant eyesore that takes a third of my field of vision on the homepage.

Hello!

jens668
    I always thought Discogs is a free and user based data bank.

Always, and forever!

VinylVault.online
    This is a fail

BurntManRecordsInc
    Big brother baloney

1stverse
    I’m neither a fan of this large new ad space on my dashboard nor of the reissue subscription service that has been promoted in that space each time I have logged in today.

Blacktocomm
    Just noticed this and, yeah, it really sucks! Very annoyin

Earjerk
    No, thanks….

anagrama
    Kill it with fire.

zin
    Ugh this sucks

hymns
    gross, egregious, greedy

sirupp
    i don't like this spotlight, frankly i really don't need any announcements or promos on my dashboard. i always [[X]] them without reading, same for the blue banners about cookies or language settings.

EarDrops
    Get this crap off my dashboard!!!

typoman2
    I wanna have the crap removed!!!!

Greyhound
    +1
    Please remove this.

7jlong
    +1
    “Spare Me, Please.”

ziggiole
    Thumbs up!

Noted — thanks for the feedback!

NessFan

Thank you for your feedback, NessFan.
    You may understand the harsh words knowing this "thing" eats up more than a quarter of the whole dashboard page showing nothing as I use Adblock and will further do so because I don't wanna see neither ads nor your label partnerships. And most of us have made our expiriences with so-called "new useful features" nobody asked for and don't wanna have.

I spend a lot of time here and do a lot of work for free so the least I can ask for is some respect – this page is MY personal space I need for my work… so please, hands off. Make your feature removable and give me the right to chose.

BTW … since it is here – loading the page … Spotlight is there at once but now all other features need ages to load. It's not an improvement … just another nuisance..
  • andygrayrecords about 1 month ago

OneEyedWilly
    I have an Adblocker so it blocks it but the little box is still there. Tbh I didn't even notice it till I seen this thread.

Same.
    TBH though I never even look at the home page...
  • Jarren about 1 month ago

NessFan
    Our hope is to rotate content out with highlighting internal Discogs features, articles, events, etc. in this space in the future as well.

I see. That's an interesting idea. Perhaps in hindsight Spotlight could have been rolled out with less "ad" looking content?

I doubt there would have been this amount of anger if the first Spotlight feature was indeed actual Discogs related content. You know, something like "How to help a user get off CIP", " Diognes_The_Fox's battle to clean up DSOTM", "How to spot bootlegs".

Something useful to the database, which is still the primary goal of the site after all.

Then, after a few of those, roll out the sponsored content. It'll still get complaints, but as it stands Spotlight has been dropped right in the crapper from the start.

NessFan
    the intention of this feature is to show a Label partnership highlight, not “an ad”

If it were a feature it would removeable. As someone has pointed out, the HTML id of this box is "advertisement-module".

NessFan
    this is a human-to-human collaboration, and commitment on both sides to agree on what should be highlighted here if anything.

NessFan
    The point is to provide a place for Discogs to highlight curated content on your dashboard.

A targeted ad is still an ad.

typoman2
    I spend a lot of time here and do a lot of work for free so the least I can ask for is some respect – this page is MY personal space I need for my work… so please, hands off. Make your feature removable and give me the right to chose.

+1

NessFan
    the intention of this feature is to show a Label partnership highlight, not “an ad”

But...it's an ad? I fail to see how the euphemistic "Label partnership" in practice is in any way different to "an ad"?
  • blumley about 1 month ago

Blacktocomm
    But...it's an ad? I fail to see how the euphemistic "Label partnership" in practice is in any way different to "an ad"?

No, he said it was "human-to-human collaboration" so I'm sure no money is changing hands... (!)

blumley
    No, he said it was "human-to-human collaboration" so I'm sure no money is changing hands... (!)

Ah, I see, as long as these "humans" are involved I'm sure all will be kept above board! Humans are definitely trustworthy types, and never indulge in unseemly business practice
  • xdefenestratorx about 1 month ago

NessFan
    ...a Label partnership highlight, not “an ad”.

Seriously? Ffs, it is a GoogleAds/DoubleClick link. Don't insult us!!
  • Chachere about 1 month ago

Chachere edited about 1 month ago
    Those burnouts in Portland would do better spending their time on better community moderation so as not to drive away all the free labor on which their business model depends, instead of developing endless throwaway software (or pursuing blockbuster traffic deals) thinking that one day it'll turn all their investors and insiders into billionaires.

If it's all about the money, why doesn't Discogs start a fundraising campaign as Wikipedia does it periodical? Stay free of ads, give us more of the features we really want and we will be glad to give you the money you need!

jens668 edited about 1 month ago
    Sorry, double post!

Damn, just looked at it on a Samsung tablet – you guys don' know how lucky you are.
  • baldorr about 1 month ago

I’m late to the party but please let us close it, or at least move it, like all the other modules. I don’t see how this can be seen as anything other than an ad. If the content it was “spotlighting” was not an ad then people might choose to keep it on their main page.

-1 from me too.
  • _jules about 1 month ago

NessFan
    options we can explore

An X to close the advertisement module will do. Or at the very least a way to move it out of the top of what used to be an ad-free, customisable dashboard.
    And less corporate buzzwords, too: a googleads module is an advertisement is an ad.
    Thanks!
  • EarDrops about 1 month ago

EarDrops edited about 1 month ago
    "Label partnership highlight" - corporate-speak for advertisement.
    Edit:
    Just now enabled AdGuard Adblocker. Never needed to use this tool in conjunction with Discogs before this.
    Your "label partnership highlight" is successfully blocked.
  • anssisal about 1 month ago

_jules
    An X to close the advertisement module will do. Or at the very least a way to move it out of the top of what used to be an ad-free, customisable dashboard.

+1!
  • Bong about 1 month ago

edovan
    If you are using the Stylish add-on Chrome or Firefox, you can easily hide this box by adding:
    #advertisement-module {
    display: none;
    }

I can recommend this. Totally hides the ad in Firefox. I got a warning when I entered the code: "Don't use IDs in selectors.", but it works all the same.
  • anagrama about 1 month ago

So the official response is to straight-up deny that a forced ad is an ad? Simply unbelievable.
  • Pheenixx about 1 month ago

NessFan
    Hey Everyone,

Thanks for jumping into the forums so quickly after we released this new feature to your Dashboards, I've been waiting since yesterday to hear directly from you. I want to address some concerns upfront, and provide some more details to you that might help frame the intention of this new feature and possibly also get a pulse for other options we can explore from this point forward for you.

JarrenI thought Discogs was supposed to be ad free when you logged in! If it was removable I wouldn't mind too much, but yeah there's no X and no way to disable it.

valparaisoNo adverts please.

mcr1I too don't wish to see adverts on any page I view when logged in.

zero_kelvinNext week....it will feature only dropshippers ads....i'm afraid.

pigstymanEverything can be removed from the Dashboard, this is the ONLY thing that can't!

more_musicIt's bad enough you allowing adverts on the admin page but making it so we cannot zap it just builds resentment, also, let's be honest, the company advertising are a cash-in bunch selling reissues, if we HAVE to have adverts, how about new talent etc.??

NordlichtnomadeAnother +1 for not wanting any advertising on my Discogs pages.

Synature+1 to remove "spotlight" advertisement.
    This is important for us to hear — specifically because the intention of this feature is to show a Label partnership highlight, not “an ad”. People can’t just buy this space through an advertising network or advertising exchange, this is a human-to-human collaboration, and commitment on both sides to agree on what should be highlighted here if anything. Our hope is to rotate content out with highlighting internal Discogs features, articles, events, etc. in this space in the future as well. We certainly don’t want to lead people into thinking that we are just opening the door to the highest bidder, so to speak.

I also want to mention that this is a test to see if there’s interest in spotlights that include label partners surfacing new releases and reissues to the Community. This is our first foray, and as usual, need to hear from all of you on how this impacts your experience. We use data and feedback together to empower change at Discogs. Try to keep in mind that the more specific you can be about requests or concerns the easier it will be for us to internally articulate for future development.

edovanSo what's the point of the Discogs Spotlight box that have appeared at the top of my dashboard?

flipster First 2 columns are full of old predictable artists
    Could you provide a little more detail on what you’re referencing here? I’m interested in understanding this feedback better. Thanks!

OLDFRIENDSFORSALEIf they can do this modules..., isn’t it a piece of cake for Development to split the BaoI in two sections?
    Unfortunately, the code we use on the Dashboard is not the same code that’s used to support BaoI, so it’s not like we can copy + paste, and be done with it. The BaoI change here would need to be treated as its own unique project with its own requirements, priority, etc. I think that thread is in the right place to be seen by the team responsible for maintenance and improvement of that feature specifically, though.

bobbleyOn my mobile, the little box takes up literally half the dashboard display...so all I see is a big blue box every time my dashboard loads up!

MissingPlanetThis. Discogs, get rid of this useless feature please.
    Have you given our Official Discogs App a try yet? I’m wondering if this would be a better experience for you.

MechaKuchaI'd be curious to hear a word from staff about that giant eyesore that takes a third of my field of vision on the homepage.
    Hello!

jens668I always thought Discogs is a free and user based data bank.
    Always, and forever!

VinylVault.onlineThis is a fail

BurntManRecordsIncBig brother baloney

1stverseI’m neither a fan of this large new ad space on my dashboard nor of the reissue subscription service that has been promoted in that space each time I have logged in today.

BlacktocommJust noticed this and, yeah, it really sucks! Very annoyin

EarjerkNo, thanks….

anagramaKill it with fire.

zinUgh this sucks

hymnsgross, egregious, greedy

siruppi don't like this spotlight, frankly i really don't need any announcements or promos on my dashboard. i always [[X]] them without reading, same for the blue banners about cookies or language settings.

EarDropsGet this crap off my dashboard!!!

typoman2I wanna have the crap removed!!!!

Greyhound+1
    Please remove this.

7jlong+1
    “Spare Me, Please.”

ziggioleThumbs up!

Whatever, can you please just get rid of it please? You have 100% of users who don't want it and its clearly causing friction. Thanks.
  • bdcd about 1 month ago

Never even noticed. No bother to me.
  • alan_darkside about 1 month ago

If this is a feature then why isn't it in a sub-menu as a separate page like the rest of the sites features? You could then gauge interest in it by monitoring how often people deliberately go to use that feature and then return to it.

If this is driven by a need for funds for the site then why not instead explore the model by BoardGameGeek? https://boardgamegeek.com/ A database of a form of entertainment with user submissions which has annual fundraising drives and annual subscriptions, all of which are optional.

jens668
    If it's all about the money, why doesn't Discogs start a fundraising campaign as Wikipedia does it periodical? Stay free of ads, give us more of the features we really want and we will be glad to give you the money you need!

The difference between discogs and wiki is that discogs already generates money out of sells fee!! I have no idea how much this could be but I'm pretty sure it wouldn't need so much resources when you (discogs) wouldn't hire people responsible for thinking of things being "off discogs" (as database) - and instead of being hired for Topics like how to do more "business" and all this "not-database-related" stuff discogs seems want to be and to get involved....

blumley

Well, I'd be happy - as being a human - to make here an additional "human-2-human collaboration" which seems to be free of charge!
  • AbsoluteBodyControl about 1 month ago

xdefenestratorx
    it is a GoogleAds/DoubleClick link

And I hope they keep it that way, so my ad blocker keeps blocking it.
    I had to turn it off to see what all the fuzz is about.
  • ultimathulerecords about 1 month ago

NessFan
    the intention of this feature is to show a Label partnership highlight, not “an ad”. People can’t just buy this space through an advertising network or advertising exchange,

1. Why?
    2. If so, then it is self-advertising

"human-to-human collaboration" ?

It's a plug-in with no way for users to disable it.
    If Discogs want to share stuff like this it should be in a separate Discogs partnership page somewhere that people can choose to visit, or include it in the email newsletters.

For the record ^^
    For the record.

We’re the world’s most extensive user-built physical music database and most abundant global marketplace, and we can help your brand engage with millions and millions of music fans from all around the world. From London to Amsterdam, New York to Tokyo, San Paulo to Portland.*

In small letters and very discreet presentation :)
    https://advertising.discogs.com/
  • coopzilla about 1 month ago

Imagine posting that big ole response and you can't just say "oh sure we'll just put an X there and you can choose not to see it"
  • loukash about 1 month ago

NessFan
    your Dashboards

"Dashboard"? Which dashboard?
    Oh, you mean that page that loads if I accidentally click the Discogs logo on top-left of each page?
    Haven't been there in years. :P
  • alienboy about 1 month ago

I'm 100% sure nobody from staff is interested in my opinion, but anyway: this new "feature" is simply annoying and useless. It will probably stay though. Just one more thing: I don't get it why staff is always asking for feedback and after getting the requested feedback there is no acting accordingly. Why not just be honest and tell the users the truth: it's all about the money.
  • azzurro about 1 month ago

typoman2

+1 (or +a lot actually). At least give us the option to hide or move it to a place where it doesn't impede our contributions work.
  • RollingStone1989 about 1 month ago

RollingStone1989 edited about 1 month ago
    anagrama
    So the official response is to straight-up deny that a forced ad is an ad? Simply unbelievable.

haha, thank you. yes, it's just laughable.
    if we had an option to disable the ad, okay. but this is shit.

"use an ad-block" isn't a working argument here. I use one and the result is, that this beatiful ad is just empty and still spans quarter monitor.
  • dubfunkoustic about 1 month ago

Get a better ad-blocker. On mine the box is no bigger than the text saying "Discogs Spotlight".

dubfunkoustic
    Get a better ad-blocker. On mine the box is no bigger than the text saying "Discogs Spotlight".

that's still shit. does this box have any value?
  • whiteawakening about 1 month ago

Lmfao at that staff response. Yh sure its not 'an ad'

RollingStone1989
    does this box have any value?

No, it hasn't. But after fiddling around with the filters in Adblock Plus the big blue ad field is blocked ATM and all there is is the header "Discogs Spotlight". Much better and better than nothing.

Maybe I'm too long a user here already but sometimes I'm asking myself whether "this is a human-to-human collaboration" is still valid for the volunteer workforce … (except Brent I have to add)
  • OneEyedWilly about 1 month ago

I have an adblocker on Firefox on the laptop and the little box with Discogs spotlight is there no big blue thing, I use the full website on my iPhone because I don’t like the mobile version I also have an adblocker and nothing appears at all.
  • ChrisEfterklang about 1 month ago

NessFan
    We use data and feedback together to empower change at Discogs.

Do a search for Block Seller on the forum and you will find enough data to actually create a change that will be applauded by pretty much every heavy user of Discogs.
  • coopzilla about 1 month ago

NessFan
    pecifically because the intention of this feature is to show a Label partnership highlight, not “an ad”

It's definitely an ad. When you click the link it takes you to a VM,P site with absolutely no mention of discogs or anything of interest to anyone who didnt want to buy their products.

NessFan
    Try to keep in mind that the more specific you can be about requests or concerns the easier it will be for us to internally articulate for future development.

I don't think the advice you are getting - get rid of it - could be any more specific or clear!

Same with the block seller issue mentioned here by others etc etc.
  • dubfunkoustic about 1 month ago

RollingStone1989
    that's still shit. does this box have any value?

Does that whole page have any value to you? I ignore it.

dubfunkoustic
    RollingStone1989that's still shit. does this box have any value?

Does that whole page have any value to you? I ignore it.

sometimes i buy some records from it. :D

hmm, ... since i've personalized the main page with some interesting user lists, it got somewhat useful for me.

ChrisEfterklang
    Do a search for Block Seller on the forum and you will find enough data to actually create a change that will be applauded by pretty much every heavy user of Discogs.

User/Buyer at first sight do not generate income. Whereas sellers do due to selling..! So simply data what people want is not of interest...
  • ZzzirK about 1 month ago

Why does discogs lie about not putting an add on the dashboard page? Calling a dog a cat doesn't make it a cat.

What else are you going to thrust down our throats?

It's insane adding this on the personal page of people working for discogs FOR FREE, first promising no adds and then just flicking up 1 finger on each hand at all of us and laughing your way to the bank.

TLDR: revert this epic fail!!