• stenil over 2 years ago

For https://www.discogs.com/Bruce-Springsteen-The-Rising/release/434877, I added the 2nd variant 4 years ago. Now I realized it belongs to a new sub https://www.discogs.com/release/12856138. When I remove the 2nd variant should I leave that variant number open for the next variant to come (my preferred way) or renumber all variants by one step (would confuse everyone and lose all backtracking)? Just checking if someone has any other opinion first.
  • Warepire over 2 years ago

Leave the numbering as is, users may be using the Notes feature in their collection to keep track of which variant they own, so re-numbering them is going to cause people a lot of headache.

In other words: Leave gaps in the numbering.
  • LolH over 2 years ago

Warepire

This is the concensus, unfortunately.
    I hate it as I feel it creates more confusion than it clears up, but thet's the concensus.
  • Warepire over 2 years ago

I wish there was a better system too, but as someone with at least 350 variants in his collection in his collection notes, sometimes several variants for the same album... If a variant gets re-sorted, I have to go change information in my collection, and hope that it wasn't an album with several variants.
  • Silvermo over 2 years ago

Warepire
    Leave the numbering as is, users may be using the Notes feature in their collection to keep track of which variant they own, so re-numbering them is going to cause people a lot of headache.

This.
  • leeving over 2 years ago

Can anyone point me to the thread that this consensus was made?

Searching didn't help, but I know I read it somewhere.

Need some more links to assist with someone wanting to change the numbers after I removed Variant #2 of 3

Elvis Costello And The Attractions* - Radio Radio
  • misterbluesky over 2 years ago

leeving
    Can anyone point me to the thread that this consensus was made?

Searching didn't help, but I know I read it somewhere.

Need some more links to assist with someone wanting to change the numbers after I removed Variant #2 of 3

Leeving - I have asked John to make amends to his entry for variant 3 - he can do this as its his entry

All I am trying to do is the same as you - clean up the sub

thanks
  • Diognes_The_Fox over 2 years ago

Warepire

Yeah. Future entries can fill in those gaps, but just like artist/label numbering, leave the rest be.
  • leeving over 2 years ago

misterbluesky
    I have asked John to make amends to his entry for variant 3 - he can do this as its his entry

All I am trying to do is the same as you - clean up the sub

The sub is now fine...we don't renumber existing variants.
  • take22 over 2 years ago

Diognes_The_Fox
    Future entries can fill in those gaps

so if I come across one where a variant was removed and I have another variant that is correct for that release, I can fill the slot of the removed one, eg for the example given here 2 is missing, I add mine in the 2 slot?

Btw, for Bruce Springsteen - The Rising, shouldn't Matrix / Runout (Variant 3, 11): Sony Music S5080002000-0101 64 C01 be split into
    Matrix / Runout (Variant 3): Sony Music S5080002000-0101 64 C01
    Matrix / Runout (Variant 11): Sony Music S5080002000-0101 64 C01
    ? Should not group those 2 in 1 line imo
  • LolH over 2 years ago

take22
    I can fill the slot of the removed one, eg for the example given here 2 is missing, I add mine in the 2 slot?

Yep, that's it.
    take22
    ? Should not group those 2 in 1 line imo

Indeed. Recent discussions in the Forums have concluded that we should enter full sets of BaOI data, with individual 'groups' for each 'set'. (Matrix / Master SID / Mould SID (where applicable))

misterbluesky edited over 2 years ago
    This thread only recommends "dont change a variant number" the main reason being that the "owner" of the variant may "possibly" be keeping that entry for their collection and searching purposes.

So the owner of the variant cannot change the "variant number" of the entry?

Guys - there is conflicting data through out the forum

I know the question here is on variant numbers but the following contradicts the above. I have previously asked for runouts to remain as they were, only to be informed that they should be updated.

Runouts are changed if data is seen to be incomplete by a different user .i.e missing additional lettering beyond the A1 of a runout - xxxxxx A1 example xxxxxx A1 AB

This conflicts with the above that the "owner" of the variant may "possibly" be keeping that entry for their collection and searching purposes.
    https://www.discogs.com/forum/thread/780028
  • mjb over 2 years ago

misterbluesky
    This conflicts with the above

I understand, but it is a minor conflict. If there is reasonable doubt that a variant is correct or complete, it can be fixed or made more complete as anyone sees fit, as long as it is not renumbered. The pros & cons of having vague/incomplete data and whether we really need to respect people's preferences for such data is a separate topic, e.g. in the thread about minimal submissions - https://www.discogs.com/forum/thread/783322