• Diognes_The_Fox about 1 month ago

Eastleighsoulboy
    Hi, this is a sad discovery and I hope that it returns. When it does return will our folders etc return or will we have to recreate and populate them?

Folders should be still accessible on the 'classic' collection page.
  • devotionalie about 1 month ago

metaldoc
    now they assigned a random order

It's not random, they're sorted alphabetically. That's a big minus of the collection, there should be an option to sort them by release date.
  • 77special about 1 month ago

nik
    Hi all,

I am sorry to have to inform you that we are having to turn off two Discogs features that we have been experimenting with over the last year - the Tracks feature, and the updated Collection feature. The reason for both are technical challenges in making the features stable and fast enough for us to run reliably for everyone.

I realise this may disappoint many of you. It is very disappointing for us as well. However, we have learned a lot from your feedback and usage of both features, and plan to bring them back in improved and stable forms in the not too distant future.

Thank you for your feedback and enthusiasm for the 20-year Discogs project: the best music database and marketplace in the world. We are committed to the continued success of Discogs and everyone who uses it.

Nik and the Discogs team.

Very bad news. You know that we need both features.
    Peace & Respect
    snakeman313
    nikHi all,

I am sorry to have to inform you that we are having to turn off two Discogs features that we have been experimenting with over the last year - the Tracks feature, and the updated Collection feature. The reason for both are technical challenges in making the features stable and fast enough for us to run reliably for everyone.

I realise this may disappoint many of you. It is very disappointing for us as well. However, we have learned a lot from your feedback and usage of both features, and plan to bring them back in improved and stable forms in the not too distant future.

Thank you for your feedback and enthusiasm for the 20-year Discogs project: the best music database and marketplace in the world. We are committed to the continued success of Discogs and everyone who uses it.

Does it mean that it is no use in registrate all of my records in collection anymore? Or have misunderstood the message?

Very bad news. If you really care about Collectors and their Collection, you know that we need both features.
    Peace & Respect
  • _jules about 1 month ago

Diognes_The_Fox
    Folders should be still accessible on the 'classic' collection page.

It's like people never used the "old" collection.
    Maybe you guys should create a blog post explaining the buttons and sorting options.

devotionalie
    there should be an option to sort them by release date.

You can sort items in your collection by the release date (year) listed.
    Artist, Title, Label, Year, Format Min Median Max Added Rating
    Click on any of those column headers and it will sort accordingly (except format, that's sorting by quantity).
  • metaldoc about 1 month ago

[quote=devotionalie][/quote]

ok thanks for clarifying. The previous version didn't automatically put them in chronological order either, but you could at least add them manually in the correct order. Hopefully that will still be possible with the new version once it returns.
  • devotionalie about 1 month ago

devotionalie
    It's not random, they're sorted alphabetically. That's a big minus of the collection, there should be an option to sort them by release date.

_jules
    You can sort items in your collection by the release date (year) listed.
    Artist, Title, Label, Year, Format Min Median Max Added Rating
    Click on any of those column headers and it will sort accordingly (except format, that's sorting by quantity).

Thx but I would like to sort by artist alphabetically, then by release date so the releases are displayed in a chronological order:

Criterion 1: Artist A-Z
    Criterion 2: Albums by release date

At the moment it's
    Criterion 2: Albums by alphabet
  • praz about 1 month ago

Having never used the 'Tracks' function, I couldn't care less.
  • FransMusic about 1 month ago

I really miss the filtering options in the Collection and Wantlist views :-( Hope this comes back soon.
  • triple-sub about 1 month ago

I've made notes on 100s of items I might want to sell and now I can no longer search my collection for them (i used to write *sell* and search that term). This was such a useful feature, I could see immediately the sales history of all the items I'd made notes on, and see how much I could value the whole lot for if I wanted.

With over 1500 items I will now have to scroll through 1 by 1 to find the items I intended to sell, something that would have taken me seconds will now take me hours.

As a DJ this was also a feature I'd found useful for making notes on tunes, for planning mixes, which I can no longer search for. I've invested time in this feature and now it feels like it's been a waste. I really hope the ability to seach notes will be returned as soon as possible, as this feels like a massive downgrade in functionality at the moment.
  • metaldoc about 1 month ago

devotionalie
    Thx but I would like to sort by artist alphabetically, then by release date so the releases are displayed in a chronological order:

Criterion 2: Albums by release date

At the moment it's
    Criterion 2: Albums by alphabet

Yes this!
  • Madir about 1 month ago

I'll miss both features, I used them a lot.

I used tracks often to identify a certain version or mix of a track by simply checking the length in the tracks list.
  • DarreLP about 1 month ago

The biggest feature I’ll miss is the ability to search the notes field. It seems to be gone now. I was using it as my personal tagging system and it made it really easy to filter my collection into a variety of buckets.
  • Giorgioneone about 1 month ago

I will stay still, I will do nothing, waiting for everything to return as before.
  • VinylWiz about 1 month ago

nik
    Hi all,

That's ok for now I will use a flat file to find what I am looking for, glad you will be re-instating in the future though.
  • horo71 about 1 month ago

While the Collection beta did have some nice features, it was also suffering from no caching whatsoever. And no negative filtering options (i.e., do NOT show me CDs). Anyway, IMO there are much more important things to work on.
  • Mullett about 1 month ago

I'll get over it. Playing with my records & playing with Discogs is like playing with my junk.
  • Kadee1 about 1 month ago

Diognes_The_Fox
    Kadee1the collection feature is still available?

Goodness yeah. We're just turning off the new one we were working on. :)

Thank you. Maybe my post wasn't clear. I'd meant if it would still be viewable while being worked on. Glad that it will be.

The "Random" feature/icon to click on, seems to have disappeared. I've read posts & someone answered regarding the different visuals, that this has only occurred for those w/under 2000, which I am. Is this also pertaining to "Random" feature? Will this be back on regardless of numbers in collections, once system is updated?

Kadee1
    The "Random" feature/icon to click on

You should see a Random Item link right beside the Search collection bar, top left part of the page @ https://www.discogs.com/user/Kadee1/collection
    No?
  • GunnersRMR9 about 1 month ago

GunnersRMR9 edited 26 days ago
    Please bring back the Tracks feature as soon as possible. The Tracks page is critical to the database and how it functions for the users - it provides a great way to access the depth of information available, and also helps with purchases as you are able to find the track released in other versions or remixes and on other formats.
  • Turkishpopaddict about 1 month ago

Well, the collection feature is the most spec i use. Now, i m dissap. Cant filter my collection into format, stye, etc. hope it is fixed asap.
  • girfan about 1 month ago

I wondered what happened to Collections.
    I used this every day and found it useful.
    I hope it comes back in a usable way soon.
  • Markus.K about 1 month ago

I miss the old collection and the track features. Don´t like the beta.
  • mayday about 1 month ago

So happy the collection has finally reverted to the old one :-)
    Was so annoying to have to wait 10 seconds each time you go back to it, waiting for it to refresh.
  • mayday about 1 month ago

duplicate post
  • raphaello78 about 1 month ago

please bring back the beta Collection feature as quick as possible, it's so much better...
  • arafna about 1 month ago

Thank you for the information!) .... I really hope that these manipulations will not make a mess in my collection!) ... Thanks i advance!)
  • vobo63 about 1 month ago

Just wanted to use the tracks feature :-(
    It was very useful for me.
  • Kadee1 about 1 month ago

_jules
    Kadee1The "Random" feature/icon to click on

You should see a Random Item link right beside the Search collection bar, top left part of the page @ https://www.discogs.com/user/Kadee1/collection
    No?

Yes; it's there. Spelled Out. I was looking for the Icon, over on the right; how it was. Just some getting adjusted to the new visuals. I know it takes time when updating system hardware.
    Thanks for taking the time to answer individuals' questions. :)
  • charlotteverniani about 1 month ago

Ok Nik, is the updated collection function regarding the value? so the prices of the disks will not change automatically anymore? or are they all eliminated in the collection?
    Thanks
  • Xe4ro 29 days ago

Missing the collection feature already. :(
  • blugil 29 days ago

I'm sorry I hope they come back as improved options
  • blugil 29 days ago

I'm sorry I hope they come back as improved options
  • Johnno_ 29 days ago

_jules
    LyricalGrooverThe only downside to me is that I can no longer search my collection by Maximum Value.

Of course you can sort your collection by max. value.
    go to your collection
    select Text with covers or Text only view (icons top right)
    then order by Max by clicking on Max column heading
    https://www.discogs.com/user/LyricalGroover/collection?sort=max&sort_order=desc

Thanks for the tip. The sort button did not seem to be active when clicked and had minimums on top. Typed in your text and voila, it works again.
  • chuptapod 29 days ago

Hi there - Sorry, but I have no idea what everyone here is talking about. Are the aforementioned changes something that only affects phone app users, or sellers, or what? I use the Discogs site simply to help sort my collection (i.e., to see what version of a record I own, assuming it's in the database to begin with), and in that respect, it doesn't appear to me that anything has changed. What am I missing? Thanks.
  • _jules 29 days ago

chuptapod
    What am I missing?

Nothing.
    Users with less than 2.500 items in their collection enjoyed an updated version of the collection feature for the past 18 months, that wasn't working quite properly and that got switched off is all.
  • vinyl_vince 29 days ago

Could you fix the min/med/max sort in the old collection view ? It used to work fine. Thx.
  • chuptapod 29 days ago

Ah, thanks. I seem to recall reading about that when it was rolled out; but I can't be sure because it is so easy to get lost in all the clutter of the blog / forums, etc.

If it's the same thing I'm thinking of, based on some of the comments at the time, it didn't sound like anything that I would need for my own purposes of simply cataloguing my collection. I've never had a use for the folders, sorting, and such, and I'm afraid I've never really understood how those functions make the basic database more useful. It's messy enough as it is, digging through the data that has been changed (Artist / Label naming conventions, for example) every time I export my collection in order to update my own personal spreadsheet.

_jules

Nothing.
    Users with less than 2.500 items in their collection enjoyed an updated version of the collection feature for the past 18 months, that wasn't working quite properly and that got switched off is all.

chuptapod

What am I missing?
  • jngah 29 days ago

[quote=spaznfluff]kmccathranI often used to filter my searches by format (78s, LPs, CDs) and/or type (Classical, Jazz, Pop) but now see only a useless list. Bummer!

The filtering capability by different variables was a wonderful Collections feature - and what the poster said is true, it is now just a single list, highly unsatisfying. I put so much time into cataloging everything, and the product seems to be going backward, not forward. I hope this is very temporary.
  • jngah 29 days ago

[quote=kmccathran][/quote]

The filtering capability by different variables was a wonderful Collections feature - and what the poster said is true, it is now just a single list, highly unsatisfying. I put so much time into cataloging everything, and the product seems to be going backward, not forward. I hope this is very temporary.
  • musicmike12 29 days ago

Thanks for the update about the collections and tracks features. I do hope these features come back as I used the tracks feature daily to build my music collection. You still have an awesome site and will continue to use your site although now harder to find the different versions of songs.
  • gleebi 29 days ago

The Tracks of My Tears ...

And from Genesis "Collections":

"All the world's a stage,"
    A friend of mine, he sometimes said,
    And though he tried to show the way,
    They only care about his name.

Whatever the changes are ... As I view my Collection page ... more or less it's ok. Where else I'm a gonna go to do what Discogs can do for me and my -er- collection?

Appreciate the continued efforts to make and keep Discogs awesomized.
  • uzn007 29 days ago

nik
    I am sorry to have to inform you that we are having to turn off two Discogs features that we have been experimenting with over the last year - the Tracks feature, and the updated Collection feature.

Please don't be sorry.
  • Mike_Mechanixx_DJX 29 days ago

vinyl_vince
    Wow this collections view is useless now guys ...

AGREED -> Cést La Vie...

vinyl_vince
    Shutting it down when it mostly works without a new version to replace it seems drastic.

AGREED AGAIN What else is new... 🤔
  • ultimathulerecords 29 days ago

Was occasionally useful, although too buggy, largely due to the lack of enough Tracks having the correct composers added. Was the Tracks feature what was causing the serious system updates slow-down?

Diognes_The_Fox & nik Can you now prioritise the sectioning of label / company roles as promised 3 years or so back? This is a sorely needed feature which will make Discogs a much more powerful data resource. It also shouldn't be difficult to implement, as you already have the model with artist roles.
  • loukash 29 days ago

nik
    we are having to turn off two Discogs features that we have been experimenting with over the last year - the Tracks feature, and the updated Collection feature

Good riddance.
    Now, how about focusing on fixing decades old bugs, or revamping the label page?
    You know where to find all the proposals, ideas and concepts, right?
    Oh, wait. I guess you'll need to fix the forum search first. :P
  • BrunyIsland 29 days ago

Greetings from Australia - it’s great to see your team’s efforts to improve the effectiveness, reliability and accuracy of this complex database - looking forward to proposed enhancements.
  • Mr.Fonk 29 days ago

jumpoutlet
    RIP tracks. How do we find different versions now?

google
  • expo62 29 days ago

Looking forward to the new version of the Collection feature.
    I've really enjoyed being able to sort by release date, genre, etc. and hope these features are restored soon. Thanks for your work on this.
  • Star-driver 29 days ago

Star-driver edited 28 days ago
    i'm very glad to see the old featuring of collection, without TOTALLY USELESS AND LIFE-COMPLICATING (except tracks) innovations of last year. please allow choice to stay here
  • OasisBirdienumnumsTW 29 days ago

I very much enjoyed the collections feature. The new version, which I hadn't even realized was still considered "beta" was quite clear and easy to use.
    Tracks is a feature I was starting to use, but hadn't quite gotten too far into it when it was suddenly shut off. It was certainly useful tor finding where songs originated (what album or single etc came first...) and like a lot of people said. I could see the potential for finding remixes and acoustic versions of songs. Looking forward to its return.
  • VinylSite.Records 28 days ago

When there will be a collection that discriminates media) vinyl, cds, Dvd etc etc, genres, Rock, pop etc etc as it is for sale. It is true that Discogs does not give a successful collection function, but for those of us who collect media and have thousands of items it is very IMPORTANT, the collection of this form is very POOR
  • Danne 28 days ago

Without the tracks feature discogs is pretty useless to me. I found so many tracks with that feature, many of them in longer versions that i never heard before.
  • thefreakmagnet 28 days ago

Sounds like your DBAs need the DB on SSD or maybe SSD with NVMe bus for more IOPS/throughput if load times were slow.
  • impud1cus 28 days ago

VinylSite.Records
    When there will be a collection that discriminates media) vinyl, cds, Dvd etc etc, genres, Rock, pop etc etc as it is for sale. It is true that Discogs does not give a successful collection function, but for those of us who collect media and have thousands of items it is very IMPORTANT, the collection of this form is very POOR

Indeed. I have wondered here several times why Discogs doesn't simply add an "in my collection" checkbox to the regular search interface. This would actually make a separate collection search interface pretty redundant,and separate development paths unnecessary. Checking that box may search a different index (containing only items in collections) or else search the main index of Discogs releases for IDs and intersect them with IDs in your collection. This joining of release data and your collection data is probably what is happening already in the predictive search or search results when you see green "in your collection" circles (or red ones for "in your wantlist).

I guess that the business drivers for Discogs are always a combination of what helps to pay the bills (the marketplace) and what makes it a magnet for many users and their contributions (the ability to catalogue collections), so I presume their development efforts have to find a balance between these so the virtuous circle is complete. All the same I agree that the collecting aspect is really pretty neglected, certainly those around using your collection once it is in there.

I've never heard a response to my suggestion so I presume if the idea was seen it was considered costly or of low merit, but to me it certainly seems both low cost and extremely beneficial - collections searches immediately get all of the power of full database searches.

My own background is museums, specifically putting their collections data and other knowledge sources online, crowd-sourcing data, and building partnerships that both prime the pumps and serve the needs of users - much like Discogs balances the needs of the marketplace and the collector/nerd. I don't know Discogs' business or specific technology, but I do know the general problem domain well, and the technology problems of dealing with tens of millions of complex records.

I'm not personally in a hurry to leave Discogs, I still think it's awesome and am busy putting more of my collection in, but I could be using it a lot more with some relatively small changes. In the meantime I definitely support them taking a step back in order to take two or three forward.
  • djksette2 28 days ago

I'm kinda glad, as whenever I opened my page, I'd have to watch "a playing record" while it loaded and then wait for my entire list to load, so the Collection one is one I don't mind losing.
  • halln 28 days ago

Really sad to see the Tracks feature go. It was an incredibly useful way of finding 'missing' stuff. Understand the issues around reliability but was there no way you could have kept it going in its current form, with appropriate caveats?
  • SuperDodge 28 days ago

Using this "classic" collections feature is like going back to 8-bit graphics in 2019.
  • in.spirit 28 days ago

Sorry to lose the tracks feature, and sorry to see newer users are irritated about the collection reversion, but for me the 'beta' version pushed me away from discogs.

So very very glad to have the old collection view back. I liked some of the new features, but for me the old style was much more useful in managing my collection (I move between custom folders a lot). Screen layout is clearer. Loading is instant. Please let it stay this way.
  • praz 28 days ago

SuperDodge
    Using this "classic" collections feature is like going back to 8-bit graphics in 2019.

It's called 'vintage'. It sells. A lot. Like, retrogaming, etc.
  • armyslowrdr 28 days ago

I for one dont mind to see the collection beta gone. I have around 1500 vinyl records, but it seems like I had shit tons of genres/sub genres. Really only maybe 20 sub genres even make sense.
  • lewbylew 28 days ago

Bummer. They were two of my favourite features. :(
  • vinyl_vince 28 days ago

Once you get past the collection loading issues of the beta .. it had miles more functionality...Bring it back please...the current collections is completely useless .. I'm already out of touch with my collection ... bring it back please, or I'm done here because its absolutely garbage compared to what we had.
  • _jules 28 days ago

impud1cus
    I have wondered here several times why Discogs doesn't simply add an "in my collection" checkbox to the regular search interface. This would actually make a separate collection search interface pretty redundant,and separate development paths unnecessary.

This very much.
    Would genuinely like to hear back from nik or NessFan or whoever is / was in charge of the collection app project on this seemingly very simple idea.
    + that would silence the "I liked the old one better" "I liked the new one more" noise.
  • mikkelbreiler 28 days ago

nik

Sad to see the Tracks feature go, I was using it just fine the way it is as not every instance of a tune is the same length, which indicates a different performance / personnel or incorrect timings from enclosed artwork. I did not notice anything new to the collections though.

-Mikkel
  • mikkelbreiler 28 days ago

vinyl_vince
    So why not do your new development on a parallel system and implement it when your done ? Shutting it down when it mostly works without a new version to replace it seems drastic.

It may be so that the current implementation is not running amicably to be left while using a second system without users to feedback from while developing. You probably need bigger resources to pull that off than these features would warrant spending.
  • Plattenkreisel 28 days ago

please make future versions of collection sort "Various" after Z, not after "Vaq..."
  • Plattenkreisel 28 days ago

please make it possible in future versions of collection to sort by master-release date !!!!!!!!!
    the best way to show your music historically correct, no matter how much money you spent for the release ;-)
  • guzzer 28 days ago

I realise Tracks - which I used a handful of times to check writer creds - is off, but I genuinely can't see any difference to the Collection interface at all. Must have been missing something.
  • expo62 28 days ago

Plattenkreisel
    please make it possible in future versions of collection to sort by master-release date !!!!!!!!!
    the best way to show your music historically correct, no matter how much money you spent for the release ;-)

That would be great!
  • struth 28 days ago

Seem to have lost the ability to seperate collection into vinyl or cd etc, or am i missing something??
  • breakaway 28 days ago

Happy to see the old collection view back, mainly because of the loading times of the beta version.
    Never used tracks, I don't see a use for it, for me.
  • magkick 28 days ago

Very sad to see Tracks go, it's a great thing to have if you are heavily into CD Singles and trying to figure out what appears on what so to speak. I can still use the Search feature to some extent but it's super tough to get the results you need and quickly. Hope it comes back soon. I feel like Discogs really took 3 or 4 steps back with disabling these two improvements. *sigh*
  • wily_jack 28 days ago

nik: A tough call, thanks for making it. Tracks were nice, but I was never a fan of the updated Collections. The filtering just didn't add enough benefit for all the lost real estate on the page. The return to the prior view, with better response time, is an improvement for me. The sorting of values works just fine for me by the way. Discogs is a wonderful world I spend lots of time in. Thanks for everything you do to make it better.
  • ShadowOfLight 28 days ago

The tracks feature was simply awesome. Helped me find which albums contained the track and thus very easily helped me determine the best one to get. Looking forward to getting the feature back in the not so far future!
  • _jules 28 days ago

The Tracks feature was nice and useful as a "flat" list of all versions of a song by a single performer with durations and releases where they can be found.
    Started to look like random / nonsense / unusable clutter when 39 people got credited for writing Tainted Love and when different versions by different performers got merged onto a single page. This part / layer seemed really flawed, logically and in execution, too.
    Hope you guys keep it simple in the next iterations of the project.
  • jumpoutlet 28 days ago

Mr.Fonk
    google

What advanced Google operations do I use to find the longest version of Afrika Bambaataa & the Soul Sonic Force* Music By Planet Patrol - Planet Rock on a CD?
  • tonicee 27 days ago

Sorry for the people disappointed but I am so glad we are finally going back to the old version, the loading times were waaaay too long causing me to not browse into my collection anymore!
  • musicjet7 27 days ago

Last releases of my collection disapered...
  • Jukebox_Junkie 27 days ago

This is going to really suck. Each time I buy a new 45 or 78 I add it to my collection. I use the collection feature when I go to record stores and record shows to avoid buying duplicate records. I hope you bring it back in one form or another REAL SOON. I never had an issue with the version I've been using the past 2 years.
  • jakeMpowell 27 days ago

Wait?! So I can't sort thru my collection by 12" and 7"s? Or genre? Ugh
  • VinylWiz 27 days ago

vinyl_vince
    Wow this collections view is useless now guys ... sort on min/med/max values doesn't even work. So why not do your new development on a parallel system and implement it when your done ? Shutting it down when it mostly works without a new version to replace it seems drastic.

I agree, put the beta view on a separate system if possible, that's what we did at the bank I worked for some years ago.
  • RiBoRecords 27 days ago

Thank you for all your hard work on this amazing website!
  • Vinyl2CDRescue 27 days ago

I found the Tracks thing annoying. It made it harder to copy and paste individual track titles when I was editing my LP recordings. I relied on the copy and paste rather than typing out each title when making new tracks for the metadata info in Adobe Audition when creating each track. I don't and won't miss it if it just doesn't come back. That's just my preference.
  • townman 27 days ago

I was finding the collections tool extremely useful, please bring it back soon
  • brian96 27 days ago

very bad :(
  • section9 27 days ago

Tracks feature was pointless anyway.

Old collection is soooo much better. Now I dont have to sit here like a sucker waiting for it to load every single time.
  • I3art 27 days ago

mjb
    https://ogger.club/

This is a nice one !! A lot of functionality I've been looking for. Thanks mjb !!
  • dje888 27 days ago

The loading time before on the collection page was awful. Glad you ditched it. It's good to have the classic view back. So damn good.
  • bfpixies79 27 days ago

Tracks helped me find alternate sources for rare songs.
    The track/media sorting filter was very helpful
    Probably one of the most useful things about this site.
  • th.reynard 27 days ago

nik
    plan to bring them back in improved and stable forms in the not too distant future

Any roadmap or timeframe you may share with us?...
  • _jules 27 days ago

Discogs product owners maybe take note: looks like you can make many users happy with a simple Opt In / Opt Out preference setting for all your future projects, features and apps.
  • impud1cus 27 days ago

_jules
    Discogs product owners maybe take note: looks like you can make many users happy with a simple Opt In / Opt Out preference setting for all your future projects, features and apps.

I assumed that's what this might be about (currently empty) https://www.discogs.com/settings/labs
  • _jules 27 days ago

impud1cus
    I assumed that's what this might be about (currently empty) https://www.discogs.com/settings/labs

That one was for the pre-beta version of Tracks from 2012-2013.
  • impud1cus 27 days ago

thanks _jules, makes sense. I happened across it yesterday and wondered if it might be a place where you could opt in to experiments in the way you suggested but couldn't see any listed (for me, anyway). For experimental features I certainly agree it's the way to go, including things like the collections beta (maybe not tracks because on the whole you could opt out of it by simply not using it)
  • papitas 27 days ago

bfpixies79
    Tracks helped me find alternate sources for rare songs.

this, Tracks was extremely useful in finding cheaper editions that contain a wanted song
  • golobal 27 days ago

Tracks was nice to have but not really important for me. What I miss is filtering my collection :-(
  • jl23 27 days ago

I hope the tracks removal is only temporary! It was brilliant for finding all the different versions of a track.
  • wfeltovic 26 days ago

Wow; the Tracks feature was essential to me. I preferred the Collection Beta, but that seems like something I can get used to. But in any event, please log my vote for bringing back Tracks and giving us the option to use the Collection Beta interface.

Otherwise, great site!
  • mjb 26 days ago

thefreakmagnet
    Sounds like your DBAs need the DB on SSD or maybe SSD with NVMe bus for more IOPS/throughput if load times were slow.

They never explained why they made the changes, but the slowness that led to shutting down the new view was on the client side. With the new collection React app launched in March 2018, they were apparently trying to put as much collection view processing onto the browser and into JavaScript as possible. It worked great on small collections, but even modern desktop browsers would slow down terribly when forced to cache and manipulate the larger data sets. The old collection view does all the work server-side and seems speedy but I assume is consuming ever-more resources that could be devoted to other operations. Each collection gets fetched with database queries, is sorted and cached and HTML-ized server-side every time the collection is changed or someone clicks on a column header.

The problems with the old and new systems could well be due to inexperience and shortcomings of software and database design, but if these were easy problems to solve, you'd see competitors doing it, and that's not happening, so I take that as an indication that it's hard.