• Post-Age about 1 year ago

All of a sudden, I can no longer load Discogs in IE 11.
    I get this message, which does not lead to a solution;

Turn on TLS 1.0, TLS 1.1, and TLS 1.2 in Advanced settings and try connecting to https://www.discogs.com again. If this error persists, it is possible that this site uses an unsupported protocol or cipher suite such as RC4 (link for the details), which is not considered secure. Please contact your site administrator.
  • andygrayrecords about 1 year ago

IE isn't one of the supported browsers.
    https://support.discogs.com/hc/en-us/articles/360007329594-Which-Web-Browsers-Are-Compatible-With-Discogs-

However, if you recently had a Windows update and it worked before the update, then that's probably the cause.
  • Staff 3.3k

nik about 1 year ago

Internet Explorer 11.737.17763.0 works ok here, but yes it isn't a supported browser and may cause problems. I'd advise going to a supported browser.
  • Staff 3.3k

nik about 1 year ago

Internet Explorer 11.737.17763.0 works ok here, but yes it isn't a supported browser and may cause problems. I'd advise going to a supported browser.
  • kanno1ae about 1 year ago

Same here. After a Windows update, Internet Explorer 11 will not load Discogs.com. Other sites seem to work fine, but this definitely happened after an automatic update.
  • djbrambich about 1 year ago

Same thing here. Is there any way to fix this ? I need to use IE.
  • dolphyfan about 1 year ago

djbrambich
    I need to use IE.

Out of curiosity, why can't you use another browser?

I am using FireFox for Discogs now, but it has a lot less features than IE. For one thing, there is no way to print "selections", but the entire document (page) must be printed. Marking favorites is a lot more difficult.

This hogwash about "not supporting a browser" is getting insane. In order for a web designer to NOT support a browser, they must use META tags to prevent that browser. In order to support it they must merely let the chips fall whare they may....
  • rockos about 1 year ago

And hyperlinks to Discogs from Office 2013 documents (Windows 7) do not work anymore. The error also points to SSL libraries. Moreover hyperlinks won't work even with Chrome as default browser
  • uzn007 about 1 year ago

I think this is the first time I've seen someone complain about not using IE.
  • jweijde about 1 year ago

seems to be more related to the operating system.
  • Rockosurf about 1 year ago

Internet Explorer's main function is allowing the user of a brand new computer to get on the internet to download Chrome or Firefox. Not sure what reason the rest of you have for using it.
  • Staff 3.3k

nik about 1 year ago

It does appear that IE11 is working on the latest Windows 10 update. The problems appear to be linked to older Windows operating systems.

IE11 usage is falling a lot, and it takes our developers time to support it, as it is quite a non-standard browser now. In this case, us 'supporting' a browser means we will test the operation of the site in specific browsers, as outlined here. Non-supported browsers may work, but it isn't guaranteed.

I would advise running the latest version of operating system and a compatible browser to maintain access to the site. Thanks!
  • BarnyardOrbit about 1 year ago

nik
    IE11 usage is falling a lot, and it takes our developers time to support it, as it is quite a non-standard browser now.

Hello nik, While this may be true, for now IE is still inextricably entangled with the Windows OS. Security updates to Discogs within the past couple of days appear to have shut out a number of IE/Windows combinations (including IE11/Windows 8.1, which is still officially supported by Microsoft), in addition to Safari/OS X combinations and many apps (including our own) that are utilizing the API:

https://www.discogs.com/forum/thread/809419
    https://www.discogs.com/forum/thread/809520
    https://www.discogs.com/forum/thread/809391
    https://www.discogs.com/forum/thread/809470

The last major security change of this caliber (official deprecation of TLS 1.0/1.1) was announced here, and well in advance. As is the case with so many things there has been no updates to that thread in over a year. What's more, there hasn't been an Engineering Update posted to the official Change Log in over two years?!

For the sake of the community, please respectfully consider rolling back the security update.
  • mjb about 1 year ago

mjb edited about 1 year ago
    Post-Age
    there is no way to print "selections",

I just Googled this and found info that's a bit old (2014) but may still work in your version of Firefox. Instead of using the Print button, press Ctrl+P after selecting the text you want to print. Then the print dialog should have selection as an option.

Post-Age
    In order to support it they must merely let the chips fall whare they may

In technology industries, that's what "unsupported" means.
  • jweijde about 1 year ago

jweijde edited about 1 year ago
    nik
    It does appear that IE11 is working on the latest Windows 10 update. The problems appear to be linked to older Windows operating systems.

Don't think it's related to IE11. Windows applications that use the Discogs API have issues too. Foobar2000's foo_discogs plugin for example throws a Security error. It did work a while ago.

Edit: the reason is explained here: https://www.discogs.com/forum/thread/809470#8039742
    It's a change @ Discogs that is causing this.
  • Miltiades about 1 year ago

[quote=BarnyardOrbit][/quote]
    +1 to BarnyardOrbit " please respectfully consider rolling back the security update"
  • choochyman about 1 year ago

I agree it’s not only bad for sellers but bad for buyers too. A lot of people live on budgets and can’t afford a new computer.

Other web browsers are free.
  • rockos about 1 year ago

+1 to BarnyardOrbit " please respectfully consider rolling back the security update"

jweijde
    Don't think it's related to IE11. Windows applications that use the Discogs API have issues too.

Well, in terms of Windows technically it is IE-related since those apps would be using underlying WinHttp functionality, which relies on IE and is inextricably entangled with the OS. However, not only older versions of IE/Windows are now shut out:

IE 11 / Win 7
    IE 11 / Win 8.1
    IE 11 / Win Phone 8.1
    IE 11 / Win Phone 8.1

Safari 6 / iOS 6.0.1
    Safari 7 / iOS 7.1
    Safari 8 / iOS 8.4

Safari 7 / OS X 10.9
    Safari 8 / OS X 10.10

As most of us know, Windows 7 hit end of extended support on January 14, 2020, one week before these security changes were deployed. Windows 8.1 remains in ES until January 10, 2023. There should at least have been some advance warning of a change having such potential impact on the API in particular, as there was with TLS 1.0/1.1. But, sadly, keeping the community informed doesn't seem to be how we roll around here anymore, it's just a series "surprises"...
  • djbrambich about 1 year ago

Not cool. no...

uzn007
    Other web browsers are free.

You clearly don't understand the scope of the impact, particularly as it concerns accessing the API which many members of the community utilize and rely on daily, and in some cases to make up for a dearth of improvements that have been mired in "request" status for a very long time...
  • matina35 about 1 year ago

+1 to BarnyardOrbit's request.
    I'm using "modern browsers", but many apps relying on the Discogs API still have to use IE, as that's the Windows default browser, and that kind of background processes is not dependent on what your default browser is. The latest security update has created many problems for many users (i.e. cost) for a negligible "security" benefit. It's not worth it, not for the moment at least.

BarnyardOrbit
    You clearly don't understand the scope of the impact, particularly as it concerns accessing the API which many members of the community utilize and rely on daily, and in some cases to make up for a dearth of improvements that have been mired in "request" status for a very long time...
    My bad for not quoting the message I was replying to. I wasn't implying that this isn't a problem. I was responding to the comment directly above mine that "not everybody can afford a new computer".

[quote=BarnyardOrbit][/quote]

AMen!

uzn007
    BarnyardOrbitYou clearly don't understand the scope of the impact, particularly as it concerns accessing the API which many members of the community utilize and rely on daily, and in some cases to make up for a dearth of improvements that have been mired in "request" status for a very long time...My bad for not quoting the message I was replying to. I wasn't implying that this isn't a problem. I was responding to the comment directly above mine that "not everybody can afford a new computer".

It's still not that simple, though. It's not just a case of downloading/using a different browser: since older versions of Windows (and possibly iOS, but I wouldn't know) are inextricably linked with IE (and, in the case of iOS, older Safari versions), just "changing a browser" won't work, at least if you're accessing discogs through one of the hundreds of different apps relying on its API and not by simply typing "discogs.com" on your browser window. You have to upgrade your OS to a newer version. Which comes with new, usually higher, system requirements, which your current computer may or may not meet. Hence, I suppose, choochyman's comment.
  • Staff 3.3k

nik about 1 year ago

Thanks folks, we are working on fixing this issue, it appears it was on our side.
  • Miltiades about 1 year ago

nik
    Thanks folks, we are working on fixing this issue, it appears it was on our side.

Hi nick, these are good news, if this means that we "oldies" could have soon access to discogs apps again.
    Many thanks for your message!
  • Staff 3.3k

nik about 1 year ago

Thanks!

All should be working again, please let us know if you are still seeing issues, thanks all for your patience.

No...it is not working.
    This message comed up when going to the homepage: (or my profile)

308 Permanent Redirect

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

nginx

I kept trying different pages and finally got my "store" to work, but it has the following on top of the page:

 
    Upgrade your browser. Try the latest version of Chrome, Firefox, or upgrade to the latest Internet Explorer.

Does that mean that the "fix" is not permanent?
  • Staff 3.3k

nik about 1 year ago

It looks like you are using Internet Explorer 7 Compatibility View on your browser, can you try turning that off and see if that message goes away?
  • Staff 3.3k

nik about 1 year ago

It looks like you are using Internet Explorer 7 Compatibility View on your browser, can you try turning that off and see if that message goes away?
  • Staff 22

eknudtson about 1 year ago

Hey all,

This went out accidentally with an upgrade to one of our internal components (they changed the TLS cipher suites allowed). In general we advise using a modern, updated browser and a supported non-EOL'd OS for your security.

We strive to announce breaking changes in advance, but reserve the right to make security updates without warning that protect our users.

Thanks for your understanding, and apologies for the inconvenience!
  • yremogtnom about 1 year ago

Big thank you and kudos to the staff for listening and getting everyone back up in a relatively short time!!!!

yremogtnom
    Big thank you and kudos to the staff for listening and getting everyone back up in a relatively short time!!!!

+1
  • Rhay 12 months ago

I understand absolutely nothing about all these changes. I have no clue what TLS or API is, but I have been following these issues and I am glad that I can tag again on foobar. I still use Windows 7 because I think 8 and 10 sucks. I know many people who had issues with them, not to mention the lack of privacy on Windows 10. Thanks for fixing whatever you did and considering the people who also use older OS.
  • Miltiades 12 months ago

Thank You to everyone for rolling back :-)