• Rising 10 months ago

Hello!

Was there an official announcement that I may have missed?

The bookogs tab was removed from the artist listing and the most recent news in the forum only being the ones about the closing of the marketplace there - I wonder to invest any more time to list items over there...
  • tam89rds 10 months ago

Did not see anything.
    Hope it is only a glitch.
    Would be a disgrace to pack it, after all those hundreds of hours spent building it....
  • PTMY 10 months ago

PTMY edited 10 months ago
    Yeah, that would be a shame.

Was there a reason given for the closure of the market place? Hope it's only temporary.
  • Rising 10 months ago

No official statement from what i could gather.
    The thread is here https://www.discogs.com/forum/thread/805164#7997486
  • electrophonic 10 months ago

Rising
    No official statement from what i could gather.

There was, by Staff member falsepriest: https://books.discogs.com/forum/692664-announcement-changes-to-the-bookogs-marketplace-and-database

Posted link in :

Rising
    The thread is here https://www.discogs.com/forum/thread/805164#7997486
  • Rising 10 months ago

Thank you electrophonic!
    Have missed that one ;-)
  • electrophonic 10 months ago

You're welcome 📚👍
  • falsepriest 9 months ago

Hi there,
    We removed those tabs from Artist pages about a month ago as they haven't been working properly since the start of the year and from what we could see, the tabs weren't really being clicked on a lot. We decided to remove these without an announcement as due to the little use they got, it wouldn't be especially relevant to most of the community. Sorry if you enjoyed having these tabs on the Artist pages or if we under-communicated here. We appreciate your support!
  • Rising 9 months ago

Hello falsepriest
    Thank you for the feedback. Very much appreciated!
  • digitalphysical 9 months ago

falsepriest
    it wouldn't be especially relevant to most of the community

the ones that do find those useful are not taken into consideration then? They still appear on at least some artist profiles, are those all going to be removed as well? I find them useful so I hope not
  • tam89rds 9 months ago

I do find them useful too and helped build them. But who are we, users-builders in front of cold statistics?

digitalphysical
    They still appear on at least some artist profiles, are those all going to be removed as well? I find them useful so I hope not

As far as I'm aware the tabs have been removed from all Artist pages so this may be a caching issue. All the data is still available on https://books.discogs.com/ and searchable by artist. I hope you'll still be able to find use in it there, despite the detour.
  • digitalphysical 9 months ago

Antim Grahan is one of many it is still visible.
    "We removed those tabs from Artist pages about a month ago as they haven't been working properly since the start of the year" - why not fix that instead? Because "the tabs weren't really being clicked on a lot" "it wouldn't be especially relevant to most of the community" - maybe this is because this bookogs section is so badly promoted the first time I noticed it's existence was from an artist profile link? Isn't that kind off cutting of your nose to spite your face doing this instead of maybe promoting the site better and getting the word out?

digitalphysical
    why not fix that instead?

That would have been preferable but because of the volume and scope of projects we working on this year, it couldn't be prioritised.

digitalphysical
    maybe this is because this bookogs section is so badly promoted

It's true, we didn't have much in the way of an advertising budget for promoting the site, and I'm sorry you didn't hear about the site sooner. We did do quite a lot of promotional work using Discogs blog, email newsletters, onsite advertising space and a bit in these forums, unfortunately there's no surefire way to reach everyone who's interested.

I do want to stress that although there's no longer a tab directly displaying books on Artist pages, those tabs were only showing on pages where the Artist's Bookogs profile is linked in the Sites section on Discogs, so you can still go directly to the same information.
  • sharpmath 9 months ago

falsepriest,
    Any news on the *ogs sites?
    I haven't seen any development or communication over the last few months.
  • thethrowback 9 months ago

I second sharpmath's comment. What is happening with the satellite sites? It would be a courtesy for the staff to make a comment on this matter.

Hey there,
    Development on the *ogs sites is currently paused while we focus our efforts on the Discogs marketplace and other projects. We don't have any staff actively working on these sites at the moment but we're keeping an eye out for bugs and addressing as and when possible.
    Beyond the current status, I'm afraid I don't have any information on when the *ogs sites will be reprioritised or in active development again, but it's being discussed among the Discogs' leadership team.
  • BadMoon 9 months ago

The tabs could have been helpful for the marketplace to access articles from the *ogs pages.
  • sharpmath 9 months ago

falsepriest
    Hey there,
    Development on the *ogs sites is currently paused while we focus our efforts on the Discogs marketplace and other projects.

Thanks for the information.
  • BadMoon 8 months ago

falsepriest
    but we're keeping an eye out for bugs and addressing as and when possible...

Now would be the right time for that, they're here!
  • velove 8 months ago

You may be wondering what is happening to the other “ogs” sites. We will also be closing Gearogs, Filmogs, Bookogs, and Posterogs, but those will be closed about one month later while we make sure we haven’t overlooked anything. VinylHub will remain open.
  • tam89rds 8 months ago

Yup just got this mail too.
    So, can't keep their word can't they?
    Wondering what went wrong.
    Nice incentive to keep contributing and trust them....
  • westpier 8 months ago

What a complete fucking waste of everyone's hard work on all those websites.
  • digitalphysical 8 months ago

to compensate it seems they spent their money and hours on a beautiful dark grey bar at the bottom of pages that isn't ugly or dominating at all, and credits on master release pages that seem randomly linked/un-linked without a peep about it and what the point is for those, leaving everyone to wonder wtf is going on. Why is there such bad communication from those running the place with the community that provides them with all this effort for free?
  • thethrowback 8 months ago

westpier

You have to hand it to the management, even Tom Sawyer didn't have the audacity to demolish the fence while everyone was white washing it for him.
  • ahr2nd 8 months ago

Extremely disappointing.
  • itsgreatshakes 8 months ago

It's the age old story of a business trying to expand for expansion's sake. Many a business has gone under as a result. I'm hoping that letting go of those projects will vastly improve the focus and long term sustainability here.
  • mcr1 8 months ago

itsgreatshakes
    I'm hoping that letting go of those projects will vastly improve the focus and long term sustainability here.

Yes, perhaps get our database manager back, that would be a start.

so now 1000s of artist and company profiles need to be edited to remove the links to bookogs and filmogs etc, maybe discogs can have a program to automatically do that? Because since you have betrayed the efforts of all those people spending all their free time on this, you surely cannot ask of them to now undo all this themselves?
  • BadMoon 8 months ago

I'm quite sure there is a program to remove links from a selected source.
    Or maybe those links will lead to the archived versions of the *ogs sites (but I don't think they want to remember their failure).
  • reknuggets 8 months ago

digitalphysical
    so now 1000s of artist and company profiles need to be edited to remove the links to bookogs and filmogs etc, maybe discogs can have a program to automatically do that? Because since you have betrayed the efforts of all those people spending all their free time on this, you surely cannot ask of them to now undo all this themselves?

For the last year i was only active on Bookogs, Comicogs & Filmogs. Hundreds of hours wasted for absolutely nothing. So yeah, i am sure as shit not going to do any work for an ogs site anymore for the unforeseeable future.
  • foxmulder 8 months ago

westpier

Agreed.
    I am here since 2006 what is around 14 active years...
    I never felt this kind of sadness and angry together around the Discogs community what happens yet around the OG sites. Did somebody read a more detailed comment from the staff why are we here with the closing issue? Focusing on this and that, OK. But the serious reasons? We deserved this kind of answers, did we?!

foxmulder
    Focusing on this and that, OK

but focusing on what exactly? They are all over the place, everything is half ass, so what is it they are supposedly focusing on? Certainly not on what the community asks for
  • reknuggets 8 months ago

They're focused on their mission to make more money and wiping out years of work to save a few pennies.
  • UnHommeQuiDort 8 months ago

God forbid they ever apply the unpaid but willing army of volunteers to fix things people have been asking for consistently over the last decade, like "block seller" and any number of others.. much better to try and re-invent/monetise the concept of a library, then shitcan it when it fails to take off *incredulous face*

digitalphysical
    so now 1000s of artist and company profiles need to be edited to remove the links to bookogs and filmogs etc, maybe discogs can have a program to automatically do that?

answer still owed for this. There are several profiles I want to edit to add information that have links to other ogs sites, should I start removing these links while at it or will they be removed by discogs?

falsepriest , can we start removing links to other ogs sites when adding to/updating profiles with other info? There are several on my do to list I want to tackle, would be good to have an answer soon so I can go ahead with the updates.
  • falsepriest 8 months ago

digitalphysical
    falsepriest , can we start removing links to other ogs sites when adding to/updating profiles with other info? There are several on my do to list I want to tackle, would be good to have an answer soon so I can go ahead with the updates.

Thanks for checking. I'm trying confirm if there's a way we can remove those links programmatically from our side, but you're making edits and you'd like to remove them, you're welcome to. I'll update you as soon as I have more information about that.
  • Thao8382 7 months ago

Bad news for Bookogs: Discogs team will closed Bookogs on August 31.

Sorry for late, but it’s important to update after I got email one day from them.
  • Dr.SultanAszazin 5 months ago

It would be best if the ogs site returns, so all links are back again.
  • andrenafulva 5 months ago

The links to other (ex-)Ogs sites are currently being removed from artist and label profiles by the DiscogsUpdateBot.
  • hmvh 5 months ago

Has anyone received their data exports yet (and in full)?
  • tam89rds 5 months ago

nothing received, as usual, Discogs broken promises, total shame and failure...
  • foxmulder 5 months ago

I got two emails with compressed attachments. CSV formats. Bookogs and Comicogs.
  • sun-s 5 months ago

I've got one email claiming to have my Bookogs data export attached - but no attachment exists....
  • foxmulder 5 months ago

The attachment in my e-mail contains somebody elses contributions... The wantlist and collection part is OK. I am not a huge PC guru but these are not really CSV files, no exact separator characters available.
  • psy-mark 5 months ago

foxmulder
    The attachment in my e-mail contains somebody elses contributions... The wantlist and collection part is OK

Same here, mine arrived last night with my collection and someone else's contributions.
  • hmvh 5 months ago

I've got one email claiming to have my Bookogs data export attached - but no attachment exists....

Yep, that's my situation.

Did anyone then get their own exports, functional and in full?
  • spUdux 4 months ago

Well, I've received a very small and incorrect export of someone else's contributions, every line is totally unknown to me.
    On the bright side: Kevin himself got back to me on my reply so there's some little hope they'll get it sorted some day.
  • AbsoluteBodyControl 4 months ago

I also got my collection and someone else's contributions.
    Would like to get the cover images as well though...
  • auboisdormant 4 months ago

I got someone else's Bookogs contributions as well. The collection and wantlist files were correct. For Filmogs, I only got a collection file, no contributions.
  • Dr.SultanAszazin 4 months ago

Why not hand over the management and development of bookogs & filmogs to someone else, instead of closing it?
    Such a load of data, suddenly inaccessible to the crowd...
    Even if development was halted, and it was kept as it was... it would still be great...

I can't even seem to find a way to contact the staff... have people been able to get the correct data exports?
  • sun-s 4 months ago

I replied to the email they sent me and asked for the missing attachment, but I never got an answer.
  • sun-s 4 months ago

Just got a new email - this time I can actually see there's a "paperclip" on the mail so something should be attached, but my mailclient doesn't show any attachment this time either. I tried to log in to the webmail instead and there it was - a zipfile! And it contained both my collection and my contributions... :)
  • foxmulder 4 months ago

The new e-mail contains my contributions. Seems almost OK with 5274 entries. Bookogs RIP...
  • tam89rds 4 months ago

Received nothing so far. Anybody got my listings by mistake? If yes, send them my way! Ha.
  • itsgreatshakes 4 months ago

Dr.SultanAszazin
    Why not hand over the management and development of bookogs & filmogs to someone else, instead of closing it?

Assuming that anyone would want to take those on.
  • Dr.SultanAszazin 4 months ago

itsgreatshakes
    Assuming that anyone would want to take those on.

I have no idea how much space & traffic it needs, but I have the feeling this might be limited. Just a separate team could keep filmogs very much alive.

Keeping it alive as a side project is of course a different quest...

I received mine as well, and the contributions seem to be correct this time around.

Now if there was only a good book collecting website. :/