• falsepriest 3 months ago

Hey there,

We’re stepping up our commitment to the marketplace and working on making it a better venue for buying and selling music online. We made an announcement on the blog today about updates we’re making to the Discogs Marketplace over the next few months. These improvements are based on conversations with buyers and sellers, marketplace trends, and analytics on how buyers use Discogs.

The key takeaways are that Shipping Policies will become a requirement for all sellers by October 1, 2020. This is to ensure all listings in the marketplace will be displayed with the shipping costs, creating as much transparency as possible for buyers on the full costs of their order. Here’s more information on getting Shipping Policies set up.

The second is that we’ll be moving away from the invoicing process - you’ll no longer have to invoice your buyers and you’ll no longer receive an invoice from us. Payment from the buyer will be split at checkout, so you get paid straight away minus fees and taxes. We’re consolidating our payment methods and launching a deeper integration with PayPal which we’ll also be transitioned to by October 1, 2020.

Here’s a link to the blog post with a few more details: https://blog.discogs.com/en/were-updating-the-discogs-marketplace-for-the-2020s/

We’ll have more news, updates and product improvements coming to Shipping Policies and the checkout process coming up over the next few weeks.

All the best
  • berothbr 3 months ago

falsepriest
    The key takeaways are that Shipping Policies will become a requirement for all sellers by October 1, 2020
    How does this work with large orders? For example, I have my policies automatic up until a certain weight. I have intentionally not automated the shipping for orders that exceed that weight due to the fact that Discogs’ automatic weight calculator is not accurate enough to accomplish this for larger orders. When I do it manually, I am able to ensure the buyer is being charged the exact shipping cost.
    falsepriest
    The second is that we’ll be moving away from the invoicing process - you’ll no longer have to invoice your buyers and you’ll no longer receive an invoice from us.
    I often have buyers that want to place an order and then want to combine shipping with other items and/or work out a discount for multi-item orders and/or combine an existing order with offers submitted on additional items. Will I no longer lose this flexibility?
    Similarly, I’ve had a lot of orders where the buyer places an order and then asks if they can dig through my inventory and add items to the order. This is usually fantastic. Is this no longer going to be possible?
  • Sandal-Records 3 months ago

Sandal-Records edited about 1 month ago
    -------------------
  • loukash 3 months ago

falsepriest
    Shipping Policies will become a requirement for all sellers by October 1, 2020.

You guys are aware that in times of all the, you know, COVID-19 (has been in the news recently) related limitations of available shipping destinations by postal companies all over the world, setting up mandatory “Shipping Policies” will be a frickin’ moving target for every other day?!

falsepriest
    This is to ensure all listings in the marketplace will be displayed with the shipping costs, creating as much transparency as possible for buyers on the full costs of their order.

Can you also ensure that the buyers will have the opportunity to select exactly the shipping option they want? Because that's the customer service I am offering now (e.g. shipping with Swiss Post daily but expensive, vs. shipping with Deutsche Post weekly but cheap), and that's NOT possible with the Shipping Policies as is.
  • massenmedium 3 months ago

falsepriest
    Payment from the buyer will be split at checkout, so you get paid straight away minus fees and taxes.

Excellent news. And much requested. As long as we aren't looking at any fee increases. In fact, does this mean fees will be paid in the currency the payment is received in?
  • dimension7records 3 months ago

falsepriest
    you’ll no longer receive an invoice from us.

What happens with the VAT that discogs has to pay for their service to EU sellers?

At the moment seller pay that part via their monthly invoice... but if there are no more discogs-invoices in the future?
  • theslutbunny 3 months ago

This sounds great.
    +1 on automated shipping & checkout/invoicing

If you continue to have 2 shipping addresses. Paypal and discogs I'm going to flip out.
  • PabloPlato 3 months ago

dimension7records
    What happens with the VAT that discogs has to pay for their service to EU sellers?

At the moment seller pay that part via their monthly invoice... but if there are no more discogs-invoices in the future?

discogs will collect that VAT along with their commission fee. you will never see those monies in your paypal account.

falsepriest
    The key takeaways are that Shipping Policies will become a requirement for all sellers by October 1, 2020. This is to ensure all listings in the marketplace will be displayed with the shipping costs, creating as much transparency as possible for buyers on the full costs of their order. Here’s more information on getting Shipping Policies set up.

I use a third party shipping company that provides me with flat rate base prices for most of Canada but has recently started charging more for less-travelled routes (ie; rural, remote, less mail delivery traffic, etc). So while I could ship a record to Kitchener/Waterloo/Cambridge, Ontario (about an hour away from Toronto) for $12.00 CAD, shipping that same record to Guelph or St. Jacobs (neighbouring rural communities and towns that butt up to the tri-cities area, so also an hour or less away from Toronto) can cost up to $15.00 CAD. Since your automatic shipping policies are not fine-tuned enough to accomplish the disparity in the possible costs (and you've got to be kidding me if you expect me to enter shipping costs for every town and city in Canada, for every possible weight bracket, for every possible combination of formats, box-sets that include one record but are 4 inches thick, CDs that come in over sized packaging, etc...) I beg you that you allow us to opt. out of the requirement. Otherwise, setting a "worst-case" scenario shipping cost to cover all of Canada will scare away customers due to the high price and mean less money for you too.

Also, I enjoy making the initial contact to my customers. We get to chat about the music they are buying, they share their memories or history with the music, I share my thoughts on it, and we get to forge a connection that can lead to future transactions. If customers are charged the second they place the order it removes the chance to have this interaction, and de-personalizes the process. I'm not just into selling a product, I sell a service. A chance to experience music with others, as often, the music I sell is not popular and those buying don't always know people who listen to the same stuff as they are.
  • Sacstracks 3 months ago

Can you please explain how this will work when a buyer is purchasing multiple items? What about multiple formats? Say the shipping (including packaging) on a single LP is $10 and the shipping (including packaging) on a single CD is $4. If I sent them separately I would charge $14; however if I sent them together in one package, it may only cost $10 or $11. Will Discogs automatically add all the shipping amounts together? Will it add all the weights together if only using the weight method? Please advise how the system will address this.
  • ralf.narfeldt 3 months ago

I can only see this going one direction, less sales on the Discogs marketplace.
    - I work out the cheapest and most appropriate shipping option with the customer, for CDs sometimes without jewel cases to make the most of a weight-based rate.
    - I'm quite liberal with regular standard shipping but as a seller, it is my decision, based on the order value, destination, and buyer.
    - Occasionally I also have discount stamps I can use for shipping domestic and other Nordic countries. I pass on the discount to the buyer, but this is not always available.
    Using shipping policies will result in:
    - fewer options for the buyer
    - higher shipping cost as the worst-case needs to be covered
  • tam89rds 3 months ago

ralf.narfeldt
    less sales on the Discogs marketplace.
    - I work out the cheapest and most appropriate shipping option with the customer, for CDs sometimes without jewel cases to make the most of a weight-based rate.

This...
    Plus CDs and records do not weigh the same.
    Some CDs are heavier some (digipaks) are lighter and shipping rate is thus different. Some 7"s packed are below 100g some are over, different shipping rate etc etc.

Are we going to have to weigh one by one each item for sale? No way. This sounds like (yet another) not well-thought move by Discogs.
    No way this is gonna work.

Add complexities of shipping internationally and ever changing world postal rates and difficulties of shipping in times of pandemic.
  • UnHommeQuiDort 3 months ago

Yeah, as much as eliminating the lag time between ordering and paying (both as a seller and buyer, it's annoying) - and the whole "no payment after X days" feedback would be excellent, and long-overdue.. the idea of having to figure out an endless list of hypothetical purchases and key in the costs sounds ridiculous.

Unless of course, Discogs just wants to bump up the bare-minimum of shipping options a seller must input from "none", to "something" - even if it's more of a ballpark "domestic single LP is x, international is y" option.. but again, that would have to be at the high end to avoid annoying buyers by having to ask for more when it turns out their location is more expensive, and also probably deter casual buyers who might actually not need to pay that much.

Unless Discogs has some sort of international shipping calculator "Deep Blue" ready to auto-crunch the numbers on every mailing option, I don't really see the benefit to whats been announced.

ralf.narfeldt
    I can only see this going one direction, less sales on the Discogs marketplace.

They are doing the because they have figures that strongly indicate that this is far from the case. It's been printed in the shipping policies editor for some time. And honestly it stands to reason.

Shoppers that add an item to their cart are 55% more likely to place an order if they know the shipping cost up front.

Avoid Cancelled Orders
    Orders are 17% more likely to be paid for and shipped when the cost of shipping was known to the buyer before the order was placed.

Increase Revenue
    Annually, Sellers miss out on an estimated $71M in combined potential revenue from not listing a shipping price on an item for sale.
  • tam89rds 3 months ago

UnHommeQuiDort
    international shipping calculator "Deep Blue" ready to auto-crunch the numbers on every mailing option

Ha! 210 countries' postal services rates to 210 destinations countries x 1000s of items weighing different weighs and to be calculated individually x keeping up to date with 210 different postal services changing their prices at least once a year, I do not see any algorhythm doing this.

This is a disaster in the making, unless they do it, let's say only for sellers in 1 market, eg. the US.

So this where staff have been busy at, causing the no-development of database fixes, and closing down bookogs etc.

Seriously Discogs? Do you ever put yourselves in users and sellers shoes "globally" ? Do you have an overview of practicalities at international level?
  • oyabun666 3 months ago

in true Discogs fashion this unnecessary change will be a total disaster, no doubt.
    Guys, you'll never gonna be Ebay or Amazon, just accept it.

I've only just started using shipping policies but obviously people have been using them successfully for years despite the various limitations and quirks. Which obviously they are doing some work on at the moment.

As a buyer I am so bored of looking at incoherent, badly layed out or more often just absent shipping details so making sure that all sellers have a minimum of polcies in place is very, very good and will make this a much better looking marketplace.
  • gislao 3 months ago

gislao edited 3 months ago
    As a seller I always present different shipping options for the buyer to choose for themselves.
    Combining a cd with jewelcase with a cd without jewelcase to save money on shipping etc.

How will that be possible with this, if there's no communication between seller and buyer?
  • Tokeowave 3 months ago

PabloPlato
    I beg you that you allow us to opt. out of the requirement.

Yes, please let us opt out.
  • kurts.ear.candy 3 months ago

I insure purchases over a certain dollar amount and that price varies of course.

AND, I REPEAT AND ... if we're going through such a drastic overhaul there must be a field for discounts and or price adjustments available to the seller. This instant handoff precludes any of this from happening. And again I will also object and ask about refunds.

This takes away too much control from the seller over how their product is handled and shipped.

One size fits all solutions usually end up in big disasters. Just my 2 cents worth.
  • 8892sales 3 months ago

Tokeowave

I vaguely remember you being an advocate of automatic shipping policies and indeed implemented them yourself when they were first introduced. I gather the honeymoon phase was very brief :-)

Tokeowave

PabloPlatoI
    beg you that you allow us to opt. out of the requirement.

Another vote for opt out !!!

Another thought is that this will cause the complete bypass of the reading of sellers terms by the buyer which are important as well as specific to sellers. Such as a seller's disability that may cause irregular shipping dispatches and the like. I want mine read in full before anyone hits submit, especially now that Pay Pal is getting worse in how they deal with returns.

Tokeowave
    opt out

That would entirely negate the announced changes so it's unlikely.

But at the moment sellers can have polices set for simple or lower value sales (for example) with manual invoicing for others. If that remains the case it should allay most of these worries (once people actually look at it.)

If the requirement is to have clear shipping prices under each individual item then why should that be a problem?

kurts.ear.candy
    I insure purchases over a certain dollar amount and that price varies of course.

Shipping methods apply below or above order values that you set so this kind of thing is pretty simple and built-in, although it's due some needed improvements (like customisable shipping method names.)
  • loukash 3 months ago

massenmedium
    obviously people have been using them successfully for years

Because so far, they are – pardon the pun – "America first, UK second, rest of the world suck it up or die trying".
    So if by "people" you mean US and UK residents, sure.
  • Tokeowave 3 months ago

Tokeowave edited 3 months ago
    kurts.ear.candy
    This takes away too much control from the seller over how their product is handled and shipped.

One size fits all solutions usually end up in big disasters. Just my 2 cents worth.

^This. Boy, this will be a disaster alright.

I wonder if the PayPal integration is going to be utilizing authorization and capture method? This method initializes an authorization and recipients can capture a payment later which allows for adjusting of the final amount charged or it can be voided without being dinged PayPal fees say if the addresses don’t match or the buyer changes their mind on an order prior to shipping.
  • loukash 3 months ago

massenmedium
    at the moment sellers can have polices set for simple or lower value sales (for example) with manual invoicing for others. If that remains the case it should allay most of these worries

That's to be hoped for.

massenmedium
    "Increase Revenue"

I was using Shipping Policies for three and a half years. After the initial failed attempt to set them up globally, I activated them at least for buyers from Switzerland and Germany. (Until the rates changed per 1.1.2019 which would have required hours and hours of recalculations.)
    There was no revenue increase.
    Moreover, a surprisingly significant amount of Swiss buyers doesn't even use PeePal and – to my genuine satisfaction – prefers giro payments which are 100% free for both parties.

massenmedium
    "more likely to be paid for and shipped when the cost of shipping was known to the buyer before the order was placed."

Well, that could have been easily solved if the Discogs frontend developers would listen to user feedback and would have designed the checkout in such a way that it would have been impossible to check out without ever SEEING the seller's T&C. And no, checking a tick box doesn't mean that the buyer has ever seen that page.

So, given the recent experience of Discogs screwing all those contributors of the other 'Ogs sites, I'm definitely not jumping around in joy with the prospect of possibly being forced to spend hours or even days of work to recalculate mandatory Shipping Policies that may or may not fit the rates, sizes, weights and amounts I need to enter.

Not to speak of all the bugs that are to be expected, given the Discogs' current record of, uh, successfully implemented overhauls.
  • hookedupsolid 3 months ago

theslutbunny
    If you continue to have 2 shipping addresses. Paypal and discogs I'm going to flip out.

+1 is VERY annoying, please change this!!

falsepriest
    Shipping Policies will become a requirement for all sellers by October 1, 2020.

This is really bad news for me. I want to use automated shipping, or course I'd rather my orders checked out faster, but the current system I can't get my head around and it doesn't suit all situations. If you allow me to MANUALLY overide the policies for some specific items (Ebay allows me to do this, so I don't see why it can't happen here) i.e. high value items that need to be tracked, outsized items that need to be sent as a different category and - of course- multiple items where it depends on a variety of factors, the parcel size of course, but also the order total value, which will determine whether it needs to be sent tracked and to what insurance level. At the moment the only work around would be to adjust item prices to compensate for the potential loss/overcharge on some items, but I don't think that's clear to the buyer and will distort your sales history data.

loukash
    So, given the recent experience of Discogs screwing all those contributors of the other 'Ogs sites, I'm definitely not jumping around in joy with the prospect of possibly being forced to spend hours or even days of work to recalculate mandatory Shipping Policies that may or may not fit the rates, sizes, weights and amounts I need to enter.

Quite
  • tam89rds 3 months ago

loukash
    given the recent experience of Discogs screwing all those contributors of the other 'Ogs sites, I'm definitely not jumping around in joy with the prospect of possibly being forced to spend hours or even days of work to recalculate mandatory Shipping Policies that may or may not fit the rates, sizes, weights and amounts I need to enter.

Aye.

Setting up shipping policies for the simple cases is not rocket science. 1 LP, CD or 7", domestic or international. Even up to 3 is doable.
    But what if someone puts 1 LP, 3 CD and 4 7" in the cart? Are my shipping policies supposed to cover every possible cart? Or do I need to go over to a weight based policy? But in that case, what about shipping material? Am I supposed to add shipping material weight to all items?
  • tam89rds 3 months ago

loukash
    I was using Shipping Policies for three and a half years. After the initial failed attempt to set them up globally, I activated them at least for buyers from Switzerland and Germany. (Until the rates changed per 1.1.2019 which would have required hours and hours of recalculations.)
    There was no revenue increase.
    Moreover, a surprisingly significant amount of Swiss buyers doesn't even use PeePal and – to my genuine satisfaction – prefers giro payments which are 100% free for both parties

Staff MUST take into account (non-US) sellers' experience.

This is impossible to implement in a satisfactory way taking into account all situations worldwide.

Or are non-US users a negligible quantity that can be ran over quietly? Just like contributors to other ogs sites were?

Is management unaware of the importance to keep good relations with the user base which is providing free footwork for this commercial endeavour called Discogs? What about cutting the hype in their COM and having real, true talk in mutual respect? We need a functional Discogs and Discogs needs us.

Management should understand this, no?
  • tam89rds 3 months ago

ralf.narfeldt
    7",

Even no 2 7" have the same weight, depending on thickness and cover etc. And it fluctuates under or over 100g once packed and that covers 2 different shipping rates, same for CDs.

hookedupsolid
    high value items that need to be tracked, outsized items that need to be sent as a different category and - of course- multiple items where it depends on a variety of factors, the parcel size of course, but also the order total value, which will determine whether it needs to be sent tracked and to what insurance level.

This stuff may be more doable than you think, even right now.

Tracked above a given value is easy, that's the most basic function of shipping Methods.

For outsized items and multiple items 'weight' ranges can handle this. For example I have weight ranges that catch one or two standard CDs at Large Letter rates, but three to fifteen or whatever as Small Parcel. Then it's easy to adjust the 'weight' of outsized CDs so they go into the Small Parcel band. Then the same thing again but for signed-for if the subtotal is over a certain amount.

Just so I don't get ahead of myself. The blog only talks about Shipping Policies being required. I have shipping policies today, a few simple ones for domestic and then one international with "shipping costs determined by you". Will the option "shipping costs determined by you" be removed?

And the most important reason I can come up with is that somewhere along the line, the seller has to be given the chance to accept the order before setting in motion any money transfers.

The seller needs the time to verify that they still have the item.

It could have been stolen, lost, damaged since being listed. And worse, this being a data base first, someone could have come in and made and edit to a listing that you missed or worse, which happened to me, a new submission made for a different hype sticker on the shrink. I had the potential for an item not as described as there are no updates involving a new submission that may affect a listing.

I always go and verify everything before accepting an order.

And the potential for scammers to come in and wreck havoc posing as new buyers with no feedback getting past all barriers and placing big orders that end up get cancelled during mid shipment or some other tried and true technique. With Pay Pal now making return of merchandise no longer required, the result will not be good.

The seller must be able to opt out of any sale they choose to do so. While it will likely end up with negative feedback, it is still allowed and needs to be available.

massenmedium

That's a relief to know. But every time I try and set them up (and I have embarked on this about 3 or 4 times ever since they were first introduced) I get so far, and it gets so complicated, and I don't seem to be able to select the options I need, and I just give up and decide that it's easier not to bother.

One problem I always have is, for example, double cassettes in 'fat' boxes (I only really sell cassettes). These have to go as a small parcel because of their fatness, which is about 3 times as much as a large letter. But shipping policies would make me send this is as 2x cassettes, which is normally pretty cheap when they can be sent flat, side by side. In fact I can send up to 9 cassettes as a large letter, so that would still be cheaper than a double cassette fatbox.

massenmedium

Tracked above a given value is easy, that's the most basic function of shipping Methods.

For outsized items and multiple items 'weight' ranges can handle this. For example I have weight ranges that catch one or two standard CDs at Large Letter rates, but three to fifteen or whatever as Small Parcel. Then it's easy to adjust the 'weight' of outsized CDs so they go into the Small Parcel band. Then the same thing again but for signed-for if the subtotal is over a certain amount.

OK, I went to your shop, added 1 CD, 1 7", 1 12" EP and one 4xCD to the cart. It shows "shipping to be determined by seller.
  • Tokeowave 3 months ago

kurts.ear.candy
    And the most important reason I can come up with is that somewhere along the line, the seller has to be given the chance to accept the order before setting in motion any money transfers.

The seller needs the time to verify that they still have the item.

It could have been stolen, lost, damaged since being listed. And worse, this being a data base first, someone could have come in and made and edit to a listing that you missed or worse, which happened to me, a new submission made for a different hype sticker on the shrink. I had the potential for an item not as described as there are no updates involving a new submission that may affect a listing.

And the potential for scammers to come in and wreck havoc posing as new buyers with no feedback getting past all barriers and placing big orders that end up get cancelled during mid shipment or some other tried and true technique. With Pay Pal now making return of merchandise no longer required, the result will not be good.

The seller must be able to opt out of any sale they choose to do so. While it will likely end up with negative feedback, it is still allowed and needs to be available.

THIS. BIG TIME.

ralf.narfeldt
    OK, I went to your shop, added 1 CD, 1 7", 1 12" EP and one 4xCD to the cart. It shows "shipping to be determined by seller.

I'm using both By Format (just for vinyl) and By Weight so I think if there are both records and other formats it doesn't have a way to calculate it. I'm not sure how that all interacts. Unless it was just that the total was over £50. But that's a good behaviour anyway as I'd like to set that manually!

There might be a bit of an explanation here - https://www.discogs.com/forum/thread/415468#3848706

But the real question that someone from staff needs to answer is:
    Will it be possible to have basic shipping policies implemented, say for 1 LP, CD and 7", and then further quantities "to be determined by seller"?

Another reason for not participating and opting out of such changes is this :

https://www.discogs.com/forum/thread/823350?page=1#8174597
  • dimension7records 3 months ago

falsepriest
    you’ll no longer receive an invoice from us. Payment from the buyer will be split at checkout, so you get paid straight away minus fees and taxes.

What happens if the buyer does NOT use the paypal checkout and pays for example by bank-transfer or via a direct paypal payment?
  • Vinyl.Pimp.London 3 months ago

Auto postage calculator will benefit all sellers, you should all embrace it.

However, I am totally against Discogs taking fees at checkout, even EBAY does not do this.

Reasons

- Sellers loses the 25 days credit period (Currently it takes15 days for invoice to generate and 10 days to pay)

- Refunds occurs regularly to buyers, how would Discogs return the fees back to seller? Each Paypal payments now have a non-refundable fee, so one party is going to lose out, would it be Discogs?

- One Itemised bill is a lot easier to process in terms of accounting
  • loukash 3 months ago

kurts.ear.candy

This! Emphasis mine.

massenmedium
    hookedupsolid
    it gets so complicated, and I don't seem to be able to select the options I need, and I just give up and decide that it's easier not to bother.

The good news is, that:
    loukash
    Please first fix your Shipping Policies UI today to make the setup manageable in the first place, as outlined already years ago: https://discogs.com/forum/thread/690802
    falsepriest
    There are additional logic changes coming to the Shipping Policy editor over the coming months. This will include more flexibility around methods like the ability to combine format, weight, and quantity. The details are still being ironed out, but your suggestions were taken into consideration and were very helpful. I'm hoping we can share more details on this in a few weeks.
    (empasis mine)
    loukash
    Oo-wee! Now I'm holding my breath! :)

But with the recent plot twist, I'm not sure if holding my breath was the best idea. (possible COVID-19 protection side benefits notwithstanding…)
  • velove 3 months ago

ralf.narfeldt
    But the real question that someone from staff needs to answer is:
    Will it be possible to have basic shipping policies implemented, say for 1 LP, CD and 7", and then further quantities "to be determined by seller"

if that's the case then it's probably ok. e.g. choose the shipping bracket/method for each item you sell, but if there are multiple items, the seller will have to confirm the shipping.
  • mrformic 3 months ago

I feel my freedom as a seller disturbed by new shipping policy.
    I might want to give discount on shipping or ship untracked to a well known customer.
    Sellers and buyers sometimes have a close relation (over many years).
    Automating the process is killing the "personal" contact.
    No like from my end.
  • niwrennamrhuf 3 months ago

mrformic
    I might want to give discount on shipping or ship untracked to a well known customer.
    No like from my end.

same here, no like
  • uzn007 3 months ago

massenmedium
    They are doing the because they have figures that strongly indicate that this is far from the case. It's been printed in the shipping policies editor for some time. And honestly it stands to reason.

Shoppers that add an item to their cart are 55% more likely to place an order if they know the shipping cost up front.

Avoid Cancelled Orders
    Orders are 17% more likely to be paid for and shipped when the cost of shipping was known to the buyer before the order was placed.

Increase Revenue
    Annually, Sellers miss out on an estimated $71M in combined potential revenue from not listing a shipping price on an item for sale.

There's a difference between "knowing the shipping cost up front" (which is good) and "shipping costs are predetermined and cannot be changed" (which is bad). The blog post announcement is unclear but it makes it sound like the latter.

As a buyer, I want to know:

* Will sellers be able to combine shipping for multiple items, even if they are of different types (e.g. 2 LPs + 3 CDs)?

* Will sellers be able to combine multiple orders and send me a single invoice, as they do now?

* Will sellers have any flexibility to alter shipping fees manually?

hookedupsolid
    One problem I always have is, for example, double cassettes in 'fat' boxes (I only really sell cassettes). These have to go as a small parcel

Of course. Same thing with CDs.

All you do is have weight ranges for Large Letter prices and Small Parcel prices and then just set the 'weight' for 'fat' items so they fall in the right range.

That way you could still charge Large Letter price for two or more cassettes packed side by side but not for fat cases.
  • tam89rds 3 months ago

And they bravely announce this as this big mess just happened with USPS.
    https://www.discogs.com/forum/thread/822453

How will they manage 210 postal services in the world (give or take) ?

Is their vision that blind to non-US affairs?

I started a thread for UK based sellers (mainly) who are using or wanting to use shipping policies to share ideas and frustrations.

https://www.discogs.com/forum/thread/822941
  • ZyzzyBK 3 months ago

I'm also a "NO" vote. I used the auto shipping for a bit and saw ZERO sales impact but it did cost me money due to system weight mistakes. The database is inaccurate when it comes to many weights and no, I am NOT weighing everything I put up for sale. I realize it MIGHT be fairly simple to set up Auto Policies as I only ship to the US, but not if it's going to remove my ability to negotiate shipping and invoicing.

Discogs is a fleamarket (carboot sale for my EU friends) NOT Amazon! Just as the landlord of a fleamarket does not set the table policies, Discogs should not be telling us how to sell.

massenmedium
    then just set the 'weight' for 'fat' items

I didn't realise there was 'fat' option, I thought it went blindly by format.
  • jsjones 3 months ago

does this mean all sellers who chose not to use the auto shipping
    will have their stores/accounts closed by discogs in October?

I know the numbers aren't the whole story but by my reckoning you'd have to be *fully refunding* something like 1 in 10 payments (due to various *potential* scenarios) before you could be losing a small amount in unrefunded processor fees if you get even a *0.5%* boost to sales from using the automatic checkout.

Seriously, look at it in true proportion.

Needless to say nobody will ever be refunding anything like that many payments unless they are already messing up very badly.

ralf.narfeldt
    Setting up shipping policies for the simple cases is not rocket science. 1 LP, CD or 7", domestic or international. Even up to 3 is doable.

Not for Canadian sellers. If you use Canada Post the cost to ship an LP within your province will be about $12-$14, neighbouring province may be the same cost or a dollar more. the other end of the country (or either end, if you live in the middle) will cost between $18 to $22. and northern territories, forget about it.
    And if you opt to use a third party carrier that offer cheaper shipping costs, the prices fluctuate depending on whether it is a more populated (and therefore more serviced) city or a rural, less travelled to town, so +80% of the country may have a higher cost to ship to but holds <20% population, Why should anyone suffer undue high costs (or me have to go out of pocket when I get an order from a small town) just because discogs can't accommodate the fine-tuning Canadian sellers will require?

tam89rds
    Even no 2 7" have the same weight, depending on thickness and cover etc. And it fluctuates under or over 100g once packed and that covers 2 different shipping rates, same for CDs.

+1

massenmedium
    This stuff may be more doable than you think

What about in my case? How do you suggest I can manage my shipping policies to reflect the prices fluctuations I may have to pay to ship to locations within Canada?
  • falsepriest 3 months ago

Hi everyone,

Thanks for taking the time to comment here and for bearing with me as I make my way through your questions. I've tried to address as many as possible below. Hopefully I've interpreted your questions correctly (but please let me know if I've misunderstood your question) and provided adequate answers. We'll consolidate these and other questions we're receiving around this into an FAQ document this week.

berothbr
    How does this work with large orders? For example, I have my policies automatic up until a certain weight.

This will likely be addressed in a product update we've got coming up which will allow you to combine weight with format or quantity.

berothbr
    I often have buyers that want to place an order and then want to combine shipping with other items and/or work out a discount for multi-item orders and/or combine an existing order with offers submitted on additional items. Will I no longer lose this flexibility?

Buyers will still be able to opt to not pay immediately when placing orders, so if they want to shop with more flexibility they can checkout without processing payment and you'll be able to merge the orders. Similarly, if the buyer hasn't yet paid, you'll be able to override your Shipping Policy and offer a discount.

Sandal-Records
    How will refunds work if buyer changes their mind after invoicing / seller can't find the record / item is returned for refund?

That will work much the same as now; the seller can refund then fees and taxes will be recalculated and returned to the buyer.

loukash
    Can you also ensure that the buyers will have the opportunity to select exactly the shipping option they want? Because that's the customer service I am offering now (e.g. shipping with Swiss Post daily but expensive, vs. shipping with Deutsche Post weekly but cheap), and that's NOT possible with the Shipping Policies as is.

If you offer several shipping methods, the buyer will be able to choose the one that suits them best from a dropdown menu on the checkout page. I understand there's a limitation at the moment with these methods not being differentiated clearly to the buyer. This will be addressed in an upcoming change which will allow you to customise the name of your shipping methods (e.g. Swiss Post - Daily, and Deutsche Post - Weekly).

massenmedium
    does this mean fees will be paid in the currency the payment is received in?

Yep, as far as I know that's correct!

theslutbunny

This is definitely something that needs to be addressed and will be soon.

PabloPlato
    I enjoy making the initial contact to my customers. We get to chat about the music they are buying, they share their memories or history with the music, I share my thoughts on it, and we get to forge a connection that can lead to future transactions.

I hope you keep doing that! This will still be possible through the order process - you'll likely still get questions from buyers before payment, or before they even place an order - hopefully you'll just spend less time going back and forth on shipping rates and can talk about the music you both enjoy.

Sacstracks
    If I sent them separately I would charge $14; however if I sent them together in one package, it may only cost $10 or $11. Will Discogs automatically add all the shipping amounts together?

That will be addressed with the next shipping policy editor update which will be released in August. We're adding more options to how weight is calculated so when items are combined like in your example shipping is also calculated more accurately.

ralf.narfeldt
    for CDs sometimes without jewel cases to make the most of a weight-based rate.

If a buyer places an order and makes a request for CDs to be shipped without jewelcases before they've paid then you'll be able to override your Shipping Policy and adjust the price. Once we have customisable fields in the Shipping Policy editor you could also make it possible for the buyer to choose from different methods (e.g. shipping without jewelcases). I'll have an update on that shortly.

ralf.narfeldt
    Will the option "shipping costs determined by you" be removed?

That's a good point, that should have been clearer. "Shipping costs determined by you" will be removed. Shipping Policies will need to be set up to cover all orders.

dimension7records
    What happens if the buyer does NOT use the paypal checkout and pays for example by bank-transfer or via a direct paypal payment?

Bank transfers will no longer be possible after the October 1 transition, payment methods will be narrowed down to a more advanced version of PayPal.

There are a few questions here I want to get a bit more information on before providing answers. I'll be back around these parts soon.

hookedupsolid
    One problem I always have is, for example, double cassettes in 'fat' boxes (I only really sell cassettes). These have to go as a small parcel because of their fatness, which is about 3 times as much as a large letter. But shipping policies would make me send this is as 2x cassettes, which is normally pretty cheap when they can be sent flat, side by side. In fact I can send up to 9 cassettes as a large letter, so that would still be cheaper than a double cassette fatbox.

agreed. 4 x CD in standard cases will ship for more than a 4 x CD set in a multi-panel card sleeve. How will shipping policies accomodate all possible varieties of packaging requirements for uniquely packaged releases?

falsepriest
    There are a few questions here I want to get a bit more information on before providing answers. I'll be back around these parts soon.

you need to address how Canadian sellers will be able to set rates based on regions/province/cities otherwise we'll have no choice but to blanket everyone in Canada with the worst/highest-case scenario of shipping to Yellowknife, which will essentially kill Canadian commerce on this site.
  • marcelrecords 3 months ago

falsepriest
    Bank transfers will no longer be possible after the October 1 transition, payment methods will be narrowed down to a more advanced version of PayPal.

that will probably mean I will close down my shop here
    quite a lot of my buyers use this option, since not all buyers want to feed the PP octopus and I certainly do not
    monopolizing payment through PP is beyond reasonable
    have you any idea how many people pay each other within Europe without using this 'service'?
    this takes a nasty turn, it seems....

marcelrecords
    that will probably mean I will close down my shop here

I foresee many taking this action.
    I may have to finally set up an Instagram to sell records.

"Deep" PayPal integration comes with conditions perhaps. Not too surprising. It's something many of us here asked for so...
  • obscuria 3 months ago

falsepriest

Wow, this is horrible news! Most of my German and European buyers paid by bank transfer where no costs apply. I'll have to increase all prices to cover the additional Paypal fees.
  • loukash 3 months ago

falsepriest
    Bank transfers will no longer be possible after the October 1 transition

So, by feeding a de facto monopolist, Discogs is accepting to be losing sales, but apparently it's not enough sales for them to even care.

This sucks big time.
  • oyabun666 3 months ago

loukash
    So, by feeding a de facto monopolist, Discogs is accepting to be losing sales, but apparently it's not enough sales for them to even care.

well, guessing a good amount of smaller european sellers like me will stop using Discogs at the end of September it'll be very interesting to see if Discogs will be able to make their usual cut on just the few fat cat sellers and dropshippers alone.....bye bye Discogs, it was a ok thing while it lasted.....
  • flipster 3 months ago

oyabun666
    bye bye Discogs, it was a ok thing while it lasted

It never really was a community, but now they want it as just a market, competing with those other two...such a shame, maybe sense will prevail and smaller users can still give it the personal touch,,,

Oh goodie, just got my discogs invoice for the month. My fees are $38.22, and have only been climbing. Tough that the Discogs team won't be able to buy their morning coffees with my commissions come September unless they fucking step it up and do the most customizable, super refinable personally tailorable automatic shipping policies manager for me.
  • tam89rds 3 months ago

marcelrecords
    have you any idea how many people pay each other within Europe without using this 'service'?

This. Nasty. Many buyers will stop buying, many sellers will close down shop.
    Seriously Discogs, one poor move after the next.
    Bye bye the mission to have the most complete db of music in the world.
    Do they realise that by stressing that users opinions in forums are a minority, it is also the most dedicated users? The people working hard on data?

And they are just trampling them under the boot. Smells like the end of the discogs idea, sooner or later...
  • uzn007 3 months ago

tam89rds
    Do they realise that by stressing that users opinions in forums are a minority, it is also the most dedicated users? The people working hard on data?

Sad to say, but that probably doesn't matter to them. They could cut off 100% of new database entries and it wouldn't significantly affect their revenue stream, other than newly-released albums. For those, the ones that actually generate significant revenue (e.g. a new Taylor Swift album or whatever) could be entered by a skeleton crew.
  • tam89rds 3 months ago

uzn007
    Sad to say, but that probably doesn't matter to them. They could cut off 100% of new database entries and it wouldn't significantly affect their revenue stream, other than newly-released albums. For those, the ones that actually generate significant revenue (e.g. a new Taylor Swift album or whatever) could be entered by a skeleton crew.

This would mean the end of the idea. The end of the concept. Nothing is forever, right. Look at what happened to myspace. Are they really going to sink the boat?
  • mrformic 3 months ago

falsepriest
    Bank transfers will no longer be possible after the October 1 transition

Really bad news. That will scare sway quiet a few buyers. It will reduce my sales and Discogs fees.
    What is wrong with bank transfer, if seller and buyer agree on it?
    Very disturbing. "Paypal or nothing" is blackmailing.
  • jadew 3 months ago

"Bank transfers will no longer be possible after the October 1 transition, payment methods will be narrowed down to a more advanced version of PayPal. "

What? So the devs in USA have no idea about the SEPA payments in Europe and all the others, both in EU and around the world that will NOT take a cut of the payment, which paypal always does, unpredictably even.
    Also the enforcement of shipping policies/prices is a bad, bad choice and just makes everything more cumbersome for sellers.
  • tam89rds 3 months ago

jadew
    devs in USA have no idea about the SEPA payments in Europe and all the others

Not the devs. Managers. And they know, but could care less.
    Turning Discogs into a 100% marketplace, forget the db, then sell to the highest bidder, and good bye.
    The end of the project.
  • tam89rds 3 months ago

A database can not be sold. Who would buy wikipedia?
    A marketplace, end of the story. Pure profit. Get rid of the troubles generated by data. Get rid of the cumbersome community....
  • mrformic 3 months ago

oyabun666
    a good amount of smaller european sellers like me will stop using Discogs at the end of September

"Dear community. Thank you for all the submission-data and helping to develop guidelines and marketplace. Your help is no longer needed, as we have decided to mary paypal and support mainstream sellers only. Please go away, we don't have any time left for culture. We need all manpower to count the cash. Your Discogs team."
  • CbJack68 3 months ago

falsepriest

-1000 for this.
  • oyabun666 3 months ago

falsepriest

just in exchange for more favorable Paypal -> Discogs business conditions or will there be a juicy old school kickback to Discogs management ?

Seller's rights need to be clearly restated as to what they will be after these changes are implemented. Hopefully well before.

Such as a statement that use of the discogs website requires that there will be no refunds allowed without an actual item return. That is clearly within the purview of the site and can be made unilateral, regardless of what Pay Pal may have to say about an actual item return. It can simply be made part of the standard checkout terms, so everyone sees it the same way 100% of the time, whether they actually read it or not.

Has it changed from "us" being the customer and now "us" is the product ? We do all the leg work to operate an automated system and pay a large % for it.

Maybe ogger evolves ?

What's up with Etsy ? I've seen a lot of vinyl listed there lately.
  • RONKASDELIGHT 3 months ago

I’m shaking my head in despair at this news. I’ve been with Discogs long before it was a marketplace and this is the most draconian and potentially harmful proposition that has ever been imposed. I get along just fine right now with zero shipping policies. I have thousands of sales behind me and have always had a happy flexible relationship with my customers. Forcing policies upon sellers and removing payment options is a disaster in my opinion. So many customers want flexibility in shipping and payment options and the best way to do this is with the seller, not an automatic process that might well put a potential customer off. Really terrible terrible news.
  • jilemnicky_02 3 months ago

Guess the "block seller" function has finally arrived; many small, private sellers (those who have the most obscure, collectable and juicy one-off items in their personal collections most of the times) will be blocked from using the Marketplace as a result of those proposed changes.
  • Tokeowave 3 months ago

massenmedium
    "Deep" PayPal integration comes with conditions perhaps. Not too surprising. It's something many of us here asked for so...

Yeah, but not at this cost. What I don't like is site glitches in general (Discogs or PayPal) which can cost time, errors, stress & money. Again they do things that people did not ask for. People didn't ask for doing away with the non-auto shipping/manual invoicing method. Just improving the automatic way.

Just let us ship/invoice/payment methods our own way (which doesn't necessarily mean PayPal isn't used either). Those who want the auto shipping calculator, fine, they should have that option too.

mrformic
    No like from my end.

ZyzzyBK
    I'm also a "NO" vote. I used the auto shipping for a bit and saw ZERO sales impact but it did cost me money due to system weight mistakes. The database is inaccurate when it comes to many weights and no, I am NOT weighing everything I put up for sale. I realize it MIGHT be fairly simple to set up Auto Policies as I only ship to the US, but not if it's going to remove my ability to negotiate shipping and invoicing.

Discogs is a fleamarket (carboot sale for my EU friends) NOT Amazon! Just as the landlord of a fleamarket does not set the table policies, Discogs should not be telling us how to sell.

marcelrecords
    monopolizing payment through PP is beyond reasonable
    this takes a nasty turn, it seems....

RONKASDELIGHT
    I’m shaking my head in despair at this news. I’ve been with Discogs long before it was a marketplace and this is the most draconian and potentially harmful proposition that has ever been imposed. I get along just fine right now with zero shipping policies. I have thousands of sales behind me and have always had a happy flexible relationship with my customers. Forcing policies upon sellers and removing payment options is a disaster in my opinion. So many customers want flexibility in shipping and payment options and the best way to do this is with the seller, not an automatic process that might well put a potential customer off. Really terrible terrible news.

jilemnicky_02
    Guess the "block seller" function has finally arrived; many small, private sellers (those who have the most obscure, collectable and juicy one-off items in their personal collections most of the times) will be blocked from using the Marketplace as a result of those proposed changes.

Agreed with all these. First thing that came to me my mind to this news is...whelp, that's it then.
  • RONKASDELIGHT 3 months ago

jilemnicky_02

Exactly! These draconian measures are the sort of actions you'd expect for top end businesses, not for Discogs users selling personal collections, one offs, a relatives record collection that was passed down to them and that they'd rather sell on a reputable platform than at a car boot sale or some such. Only very very streamlined operators who can afford to lose a bit on shipping or fees, or be happy overcharging customers as it cuts out any thought or interaction in a sale, are going to be happy with this. For most Discogs users this is a logistical and restrictive nightmare.
  • RAWFLAVA 3 months ago

So, forcing ALL sellers to setup SPs (despite most decent / reputable ones having clear shipping rates displayed conveniently with their terms) AND getting rid of Bank Transfers are what buyers & sellers have "told" you they want...really !?

Wow...just wow...

Seems the touchpaper has been lit again!

Honestly, can anyone who has seen or commented here say Discogs conversed with you?

Doesn't look like it.

Glad I've sold the majority of my stash before this madness.

kurts.ear.candy
    What's up with Etsy ? I've seen a lot of vinyl listed there lately.

But I bet very little moves, have you tried shopping vinyl there/browsing it? Not enjoyable. Tedious. I always give up.
  • highpriest23 3 months ago

@ falsepriest Personally i think this improvement is horrible, especially in these Corona times, but let me ask a question:

I've tried to set up automatic shipping, calculated by weight.
    Does the calculator keep in mind that i have to add packing or does it simply add upp the weights of several items and takes that as a total?
    My limits are at 500g and 1kg. If a buyer chooses e.g. 3 records that have a total weight of lets say 950g, will he be invoiced for the parcel upto 1kg leaving me with 50g for the whole packaging?
  • fly_free 3 months ago

massenmedium

If the requirement is to have clear shipping prices under each individual item then why should that be a problem?

the problem is the work with weighing and adding it to each individual item for example?

massenmedium

Avoid Cancelled Orders

Increase Revenue

usually i see the shipping cost under the price and don't bother any further because the problem is not the missing shipping price (you mostly find written in the terms) its the expensive shipping cost itself that draw people off. everyone who buys without getting clear what the shipping is before and are surprised by the invoice can blame it on themself and their thickness.

and its really heartwarming that they care about how much the sellers miss out on, but i guess the ~5.5 milion $ fees they miss out from that bad behaviour, is what really make them sniff up their snot with wet eyes....
  • fly_free 3 months ago

highpriest23

My limits are at 500g and 1kg. If a buyer chooses e.g. 3 records that have a total weight of lets say 950g, will he be invoiced for the parcel upto 1kg leaving me with 50g for the whole packaging?

if thats done by adding any fixed weight for packaging it won't work for me as i reuse packaging i got from my orders, so every package is different (also because of adding filling /stiffner)
  • berothbr 3 months ago

Thank you for the follow up falsepriest.
    falsepriest
    This will likely be addressed in a product update we've got coming up which will allow you to combine weight with format or quantity
    FWIW the difficulty I have isn’t really with combining multiple formats or quantity. It’s that the automatic weight estimator is extremely inaccurate to the point where I’m convinced the automatic weight estimations were just arbitrarily guesstimated and forgotten about. For example, The default weight for a cassette is practically the same as a 7” record. Ditto for LPs and acetates. Similarly, it is not sensitive to the extreme weight variation between same format items such as gatefold covers, bonus inserts, e.g., posters, etc. nor is it sensitive to multi-format packaging requirements. On domestic orders it doesn’t really matter, but for international orders, it’s really hard to rely on these estimates for automation purposes. Having flexibility to manually set the shipping is really important because it allows me to ship internationally as inexpensively as possible.
  • pete-the-meat 3 months ago

pete-the-meat edited 3 months ago
    Letting users fill the database for years and create a platform for record collectors and as USP add a human factor to buying and selling records and then suddenly it becomes an automated money factory without human contact whatsoever. I can see a new website with reference to the Discogs item number + condition of item + price and off we go! You guys are throwing away your own USP & business without seeing it.
  • pete-the-meat 3 months ago

most stupid move ever! the list of future problems is endless:

– you don’t know the weight of the package material
    – combined shipping unknown weight
    – discount for previous customers
    – Discount because alternative record
    – customers who pay later because of paycheck but buy now
    – shipping costs from different shipping companies depending on destination and size of order
    – because of corona there are extra charges
    – packages get lost and refund, gone paypal provision, not with bank/wire transfer
    – friends/family option paypal not available anymore
    – paypal provision is a loss after canceling of order
    – No contact with other users anymore about music
    – records gets damaged while handling or grading was not ok, gone paypal provision
    – paying with bank/wire transfer is gone
    – paypal sucks in a lot of countries
    – wrong grading, discount? no way, buyer already payed, refund, gone paypal provision

Made this list in 3 minutes, if i work another hour on it, it will be much longer and longer and endless….

THIS IS JUST A DECISION MADE FOR THE FUTURE BENEFIT OF THE OWNERS OF DISCOGS (MORE MONEY OR SELLING DISCOGS ITSELF)
    THERE IS NOWHERE A DISCUSSION TO BE FOUND ABOUT THIS OR A POLL ASKING THE SELLERS/BUYERS ABOUT THIS, IT COMES SUDDENLY FROM NOWHERE, YOU GUYS TALKED WITH NOBODY ABOUT THIS, THIS IS PLAIN LYING IN THE WIDE OPEN.

THIS IS THE END OF MY BUSINESS!!!
  • JJ3345 3 months ago

A million reasons why this is greedy, selfish shit with no consultation but they don't care, it's probably all about a sweetheart/kickback deal with Paypal. Whatever the deal, profit is paramount.
  • loukash 3 months ago

highpriest23

Think of the content of the Weight field more as a "product code".

For instance, if the "estimated" weight of a standard CD is "85", then for CDs which are missing the tray insert and thus are being shipped without the jewel box anyway as a 100 g letter, I have used "86" and set up a corresponding shipping policy for this weight only.
    That was the only way to work around the inflexibility of the system as is.

Mind you, my Shipping Policy for GERMANY ONLY via German Post had 75 lines in total, attempting to take in account the majority of possible combinations of 7"/10"/12"/CD/cassettes. Compared, my Swiss Post domestic shipping policy was almost "easy peasy" with just 26 lines.

As already noted above, I gave up on Shipping Policies per 1 January 2019 when German Post changed their rates and prohibited goods shipment via "maxi letter". Wasting another day of work to recalculate the shipping policies wasn't worth the promised "increase in revenue" which in fact never happened in those 3 1/2 years I've been using them.
  • ZyzzyBK 3 months ago

pete-the-meat
    most stupid move ever! the list of future problems is endless:

– you don’t know the weight of the package material
    – combined shipping unknown weight
    – discount for previous customers
    – Discount because alternative record
    – customers who pay later because of paycheck but buy now
    – shipping costs from different shipping companies depending on destination and size of order
    – because of corona there are extra charges
    – packages get lost and refund, gone paypal provision, not with bank/wire transfer
    – friends/family option paypal not available anymore
    – paypal provision is a loss after canceling of order
    – No contact with other users anymore about music
    – records gets damaged while handling or grading was not ok, gone paypal provision
    – paying with bank/wire transfer is gone
    – paypal sucks in a lot of countries
    – wrong grading, discount? no way, buyer already payed, refund, gone paypal provision

Made this list in 3 minutes, if i work another hour on it, it will be much longer and longer and endless….

THIS IS JUST A DECISION MADE FOR THE FUTURE BENEFIT OF THE OWNERS OF DISCOGS (MORE MONEY OR SELLING DISCOGS ITSELF)
    THERE IS NOWHERE A DISCUSSION TO BE FOUND ABOUT THIS OR A POLL ASKING THE SELLERS/BUYERS ABOUT THIS, IT COMES SUDDENLY FROM NOWHERE, YOU GUYS TALKED WITH NOBODY ABOUT THIS, THIS IS PLAIN LYING IN THE WIDE OPEN.

THIS IS THE END OF MY BUSINESS!!!

+1000
  • ZyzzyBK 3 months ago

Perhaps it's time to start thinking about a September "Expire All Items" Boycott for those of us who oppose these changes...
  • theslutbunny 3 months ago

falsepriest
    theslutbunny

This is definitely something that needs to be addressed and will be soon.

I've had 12 orders so far today. I've had to contact 3 of them to confirm which address to ship to and will ultimately have to take the risk of negating my paypal protection if I ship to their discogs address. I've also had to manually check the other 9 to confirm they match. It's a complete time sink.