• HEELAN 4 months ago

HEELAN edited 4 months ago
    Hi
    I just recently purchased a early pressing of The Clash London Calling.
    I’m struggling to find information on it as there’s a few things different to other first pressings that I have purchased and sold.
    The pressing has three matrix runout’s that match listed first Pressing versions (A.1,C.1and D.1).
    The B.1 side matrix runout is not listed in any of the variants.
    The matrix runout’s are,
    A-1.

CL-1-2-A3 CBS-S-CLASH-3-A•3 TY CBS

B-1.

CL-1-2-B2 CBS-S-CLASH-3-B2 TY CBS

C-1.

CL-3-4-A-2 CBS-S-CLASH-3-C-2 TIM TOM

D-1.

CL-3-4-B3 CBS-S-CLASH-D3 TY CBS
    TRACK 5 IS “TRAIN IN VAIN”

The album contains two (28cm X 28cm) picture/ Lyric inserts.
    And also has picture/lyric inner sleeves.
    The inner sleeves do not match,
    The first sleeve is a heavy gauge card and the second sleeve is a lightweight smooth sleeve that is similar to the inserts.
    Any help in identifying this album would be greatly appreciated.
    As I’m not sure do I add it to the most like listing or should it be a new listing.
    Thank you so much in advance.
    This is the link to the pictures of my album.

https://share.icloud.com/photos/0EpjNN3sr-2KPqb7-OzmMlrdw
  • HEELAN 4 months ago

If anyone has any information or can help me with identifying this early U.K. pressing I would greatly appreciate it.
  • Rising 4 months ago

Possible variant of variant 1 of The Clash - London Calling ??
  • GeoffTrowbridge 4 months ago

That looks like the correct release. Sides A/B are listed as variant #1, sides C/D are variant #4.
  • HEELAN 4 months ago

Thank you so much for your response Geoff .
    Would you think I should list it as a first Pressing and add it as a variant.
    Or because of the different printed inner sleeves should I list it as a misprint.
  • GeoffTrowbridge 4 months ago

The term "first pressing" isn't generally supported on Discogs because it's usually very hard to define; most new albums during the 70s/80s were pressed at several different plants simultaneously. So unless a release was explicitly marketed that way, or clear evidence exists that can be referenced in the notes, probably best to avoid making such a claim.

It's up to you whether or not you wish to add your runouts to the list of variants on the release. They're already covered under variants #1 and #4, but your particular pairing of the two is technically another variant.

The term "Misprint" on Discogs refers to an error in the design (e.g., a mistake in the track list or credits) that was corrected on a later release. It doesn't cover one-off defects or variances in the manufacturing. In this particular case, I can't tell if your inner sleeves are different by design or by error, but it doesn't seem to fall within the "misprint" category.
  • HEELAN 4 months ago

Thank you so much for your time and help with my question Geoff.
    I really appreciate it thank you so much again.
    All the best and stay safe:
    Kindest Regards
    George
  • HEELAN 3 months ago

Thank you so much for your response.
    I completely missed it and please accept my apologies .
    Geoff made some very valid points and I really appreciate it.
    I’m just not happy to just add it as just a variant, I feel that the stiff card printed picture inner sleeve of disc one is so strange compared to the other sleeve that is the same material as the inserts.
    I can’t help but feel it deserves it’s own listing.
    I’ve seen other albums with similar defects listed in there own right.
    It’s just so exciting to find something that is just different.
    Anyway thank you so much for your response Rising and apologies again for the late response.

Rising
    Possible variant of variant 1 of The Clash - London Calling ??
  • GeoffTrowbridge 3 months ago

It is possible (even likely) that the previous owner replaced a damaged inner sleeve with one from a different release, thus the mismatch.
  • HEELAN 3 months ago

That could be the case but I have checked all the pressings that have CLASH 3 printed sleeves and can’t find it.
    But it doesn’t mean that it doesn’t exist.
    Thank you so much again Geoff for your wisdom and response.
    I’ll keep digging and hopefully figure it out.
    GeoffTrowbridge
    It is possible (even likely) that the previous owner replaced a damaged inner sleeve with one from a different release, thus the mismatch.
  • dubfunkoustic 3 months ago

Ghandi?!?!?!?!