• YoreStore 9 months ago

VERY IMPORTANT:

PLEASE READ, SHARE AND GET ACTIVE!

There some very bad news for all the vinyl-heads coming up. The german DHL have changed the rates and formats starting from 1st of July 2022.

Aside from a tolerable increase of their prices for INTERNATIONAL shippings, DHL Germany decided to change their formats/parcel sizes for the cheapest postal fare, just so that vinyl records will not fit anymore. This means that the highest parcel fare will apply for sending vinyl from Germany to the World from then onwards. Precisely in numbers:

2 records (two regular 12" Vinyl) to destinations outside of Europe can now still be send for EUR 6,00 and 4 Records (that's four 12" records) for EUR 9,00 to places like the US or Australia or any other destination outside the EU until now. This will not be possible anymore after July 1st. It would then go up to EUR 15,89 for the same service (sending 1-4 records to the US or Australia or any destination outside of Europe). The US for example is a strong market for vinyl to be ordered from Germany and it would simply not be possible to serve US customers anymore (unless for orders of 7 records or above). Who's going to pay EUR 15,89 (without packaging) compared to EUR 6,00 for 1-2 records being sent?

This also effects parcels within Europe. In the past we could send 1-2 records for EUR 6,00 - this will go up to EUR 10,00.

For orders within Europe above 4 records everything stays the same and luckily most of our orders within Europe are above 4 records per order!!!

But about 30% of all orders have been for 1-2 records. So thats also going to be a problem within Europe. From July 1st onwards it will costs EUR 10,00 for 1 - 8 records. So the small orders 1-3 records will disappear, as there is no difference in the fare no matter if 1 record or 8 records have been ordered.

80% of our discogs orders are for 1-2 records. You don't have to be a math-proffessor to figure out what this means.

Just so you get the relevance of what this actually means. This will effect

all german record-labels
    all german vinyl mailorders
    all smaller or bigger german discogs-sellers and
    all german recordstores *

(* because hardly any of those physical stores can survive only with their walk-in customers without also selling vinyl through discogs or their own online-stores - hardly any recordstore can survive without additional sales to the world via mailorder).

We therefore started a petition to try and get DHL to change their new policy. This is not even about the prices of the fares itself (these are still very reasonable). This is about getting DHL to change their parcel FORMATS, so that vinyl records will fit into the new max. allowed size for the cheap parcel rates again, as it used to be.

Please get involved and sign the petition and share to as many people as possible. This really is quite serious and it effects all of us.

Petition to change the DHL format for vinyl records:

https://www.change.org/p/f%C3%BCr-die-erhaltung-der-warenpost-international-mit-bisherigen-ma%C3%9Fen

Thanks so much for reading and getting involved.
  • buy24hours 9 months ago

already signed...
  • disc-empyre 9 months ago

YoreStore
    Who's going to pay EUR 15,89 (without packaging) compared to EUR 6,00 for 1-2 records being sent?

This really sucks for you guys but reality check, it basically just means that you (Germans) will now have to pay what all of us in all other EU countries have had to pay the whole time.

You will not be any worse off than your competition, it will be the same cost at worst.

In fact, I've wondered for years how it was possible for German sellers to ship so cheaply.
  • SchusterBach 9 months ago

disc-empyre
    This really sucks for you guys but reality check, it basically just means that you (Germans) will now have to pay what all of us in all other EU countries have had to pay the whole time.

You will not be any worse off than your competition, it will be the same cost at worst.

In fact, I've wondered for years how it was possible for German sellers to ship so cheaply.

I must agree in all that...
  • XcommittedforlifeX 9 months ago

If you think that's bad, just look at how much some American sellers on here try to charge to post a single CD to the UK - some charge up to $30.00!

Do they really think we are too stupid to check how much USPS would charge for a small 200g item?
  • lunarr 9 months ago

Ha! Some tool on eBlah tried to charge me $22.00 US for ONE LP costing $20.00!!---he's in Canada but ships from USA-using USPS. Really tried to pull that one. What a crook.
  • ByTor2112 9 months ago

You germans should save money for the 100b re-armament lol
  • YoreStore 9 months ago

ByTor2112
    You germans should save money for the 100b re-armament lol

Good Joke. LOL. Just my type of humour. But that said, Even more important that you please sign the petitition. Jokes is Jokes, Realness is real. We do have a real chance to get DHL to re-think their positions - but we need people to get involved and sign the petition . It only takes a few seconds. Please be on board and keep them jokes coming. Still smiling. Thanks, Andy
  • ZyzzyBK 9 months ago

XcommittedforlifeX
    If you think that's bad, just look at how much some American sellers on here try to charge to post a single CD to the UK - some charge up to $30.00!

Do they really think we are too stupid to check how much USPS would charge for a small 200g item?

Apparently you are.. Though, to be fair, you did not specify HOW the Seller was shipping via USPS.

Priority Mail International starting from $29.60US
    6–10 Business Days & Flat Rate Pricing. Priority Mail International® service is a reliable and economical way to ship to more than 180 countries, including Canada, Mexico, and Australia. Flat Rate option: Ship using free Flat Rate Boxes and Envelopes (envelopes and small boxes up to 4 lbs, medium and large boxes up to 20 lbs), starting at $29.60. Includes (with some exceptions) up to $100 insurance for reconstruction of nonnegotiable documents (such as personal correspondence with no cash value) and up to $200 insurance for merchandise (such as gifts and other goods) to cover loss, damage, or missing contents5

But yes - there is a cheaper USPS method...
    First Class Package International starting from $14.85US
    Delivery times can be a couple of weeks, a couple of years, or not at all. Tracking is only guaranteed while in the continental US. No insurance at all though it can be added on.

In the last couple of years - as evidenced by numerous threads here - USPS FCPI shipping has been a nightmare. Many US Sellers are moving to the more reliable Priority International for shipping in hopes of avoiding the fustercluck of poet-apocalypse International shipping or at least getting coverage when things do go wrong.
  • invalidcharacters 9 months ago

lunarr
    Ha! Some tool on eBlah tried to charge me $22.00 US for ONE LP costing $20.00!!---he's in Canada but ships from USA-using USPS. Really tried to pull that one. What a crook.

Almost every Canadian seller from whom I've purchased pulls this one, as if I cannot see the sticker stating that the seller shipped from a US border town and paid only $3.82 to ship it USPS media mail. I think I even paid one guy $30 one time.
  • gislao 9 months ago

That's pretty much already the prices shipping from Denmark.
  • pinkindustries 9 months ago

This has been already discussed in the German forum some months ago! No news!
  • YoreStore 9 months ago

Article about this Topic in German Groove Magazine (in German Language):

https://groove.de/2022/05/02/dhl-aenderung-der-warenpost-bedroht-kleine-vinyl-haendler/

Please share.... Off to battle, Bass to Bass, for the sound that we create. Leave no Victims ...
  • massenmedium 9 months ago

I'm into it, where do I sign approval of German postage prices coming into line with the rest of the world?