• man_traic over 12 years ago

tearing my f+++++g hair out here

setting everything back to factory settings, still cant get rid of 2 0 spots - ive noticed now im getting a 'flutter' where the pitch is fluctuating without being touched

looking at the vr302 gain pot, the underside of it looks broken - it sometimes also comes up with random resistance readings eg 2.88 -> adjust clockwise 2.34 -> adjust anticlokwise 2.79 -> adjust clockwise 0.001/ 1 (open circuit)/ 24.5 (????)

i think the pot is screwed - is it worth me cutting my losses and buying a new pre-made pitch pcb (i only bought a new slider before and soldered it onto the board) and if so, do they come precalibrated??) or can i find the vr302 somewhere?

any1 else had this???
  • little_alien over 12 years ago

man_traic
    i think the pot is screwed

Sounds like a generic part to me, should be replaceable. A whole new pcb sounds a bit drastic to me. Never had the problem by the way.
  • Josh_Rogan over 12 years ago

Zippy from Rainbow could advise.
  • djfrankiebones over 12 years ago

How much do Used 1200's cost over there? I literally could have bought two in decent shape for $400 USD for the pair about two hours ago...

Try pushing it to 3.0. I know 2.7 is what that manual says but I did one troubleshoot test and pushed it to 3.0 and it improved it.
    i did have that random flutter thing though...quirky fu*ker...
  • mrmrb over 12 years ago

u got gunk on the actual slider? Make sure to clean it very well, i found if its dirty or dusty u will get incorrect readings...also get a frequency counter to calibrate the pitch range correctly...Otherwise get a new pcb and try with that.

mrmrb
    u got gunk on the actual slider?

brand new slider

djfrankiebones

Try pushing it to 3.0. I know 2.7 is what that manual says but I did one troubleshoot test and pushed it to 3.0 and it improved it.

weird, my new slider came in at 2.2 lol oh well...

When I bought my current decks I promised myself I was going to not modify them whatsoever...I used to love taking them apart and turning the blue dials, clipping the quartz wire, all that good stuff. But once you do all that they never function properly after that.
  • davetherave_11 over 12 years ago

djfrankiebones
    they never function properly after that

I done the 0% quartz thing, then calibrated. Never had a problem.

Put some jizz on it. That's what they did at the Garage.
  • vinyl_junkie07 over 12 years ago

Josh_Rogan
    Put some jizz on it. That's what they did at the Garage

The Garage didnt use Technics turntables, they were Thorens turntables as with most Richard Long (RLA) setups of the time
  • vinyl_junkie07 over 12 years ago

You need to adjust the VR-301 pot (under the platter not the one on the pitch pcb board)
    Setting this wrong can result in two 0 spots not the gain, VR-301 is the range basicaly, aka you can make it +/-12% but at loss of acuracy.
    To propperly calibrate it you need a frequency counter but you can sort of do it without...

To adjust it so that it actually turns at +6%, +3.3%, 0% or -3.3% when that's where the pitch control slider is (calibration) then try this...(Not the propper method you would do if you had the right shit)

First open the turntable
    Put the platter back on WITHOUT replacing the plastic cover underneath it. This will make the rest very easy and a lot faster.
    Now you should be able to reach the VR301 pot with a screwdriver through one of the two holes in the platter.
    Put the pitch control slider at +3.3% and press play.
    You can now determine whether it's going too fast or too slow by looking at the circles on the side of the platter..
    Press stop and increase the amount of pitch if it was going too slow or visa versa.
    Repeat this procedure until you've got it at the speed you like and try to get it as close as it can get to all of +6%,+3.3%,0% and -3.3%.

Some people ask me if fiddling around with the pitch can harm the turntable. My opinion is that it doesn't as long as you don't do it a hundred times a day. When you just bought your turntable(s) it's probably best not to adjust the pitch unless you really want that extra speed. There are two reasons for this:

It will be a lot harder to make accurate pitch adjustments (with the fader) while mixing when the pitch is pushed to 12%!
    Once you changed the pitch from it's original factory settings it is hard to get the pitch exactly back to those settings unless you have propper calibration equipment (frequency counter and ohm meter)

vinyl_junkie07
    You need to adjust the VR-301 pot (under the platter not the one on the pitch pcb board)
    Setting this wrong can result in two 0 spots not the gain, VR-301 is the range basicaly, aka you can make it +/-12% but at loss of acuracy.
    To propperly calibrate it you need a frequency counter but you can sort of do it without...

mate you sure about that? i thought:

pot on pitch pcb = '0' adjust
    pot under platter = gain (range) adjust

?
  • davetherave_11 over 12 years ago

man_traic
    mate you sure about that? i thought:

pot on pitch pcb = '0' adjust
    pot under platter = gain (range) adjust

That's correct, but adjusting the gain pot affects the zero point.

vinyl_junkie07
    t will be a lot harder to make accurate pitch adjustments (with the fader) while mixing when the pitch is pushed to 12%!

Thanks for the confirmed speed of 12%. People tend to believe that you can double the time of the pitch and I always told them that is simply not the case. I thought it was 10% but still and all I know it was not 16%.
  • derekg over 12 years ago

its ages since i did these adjustments so this is from memory, but i found that using a meter and trying to calibrate the trim pots to the setting advised in the technics service manual still gave the two zero pitch spots. the only way to resolve it was to snip the wire to remove one of them

Josh_Rogan edité over 12 years ago
    Knuckles s
  • cypherism over 12 years ago

Homo-obsessed gaylord

Watch out lads, backs to the wall, wear your bicycle clips, or RJ will be up your trouser leg !!!!

Connexion Vous devez vous connecter pour poster.