• Staff 71

Weetzie over 4 years ago

Weetzie edited 5 months ago
    If you have a question for other Spanish translators, please post your question in this thread.

If you have a question for Discogs staff that isn't answered in this Translation Help Doc, please post it here.

If your question is about a specific string in Transifex, and needs to be answered by Discogs staff, please post a comment within Transifex. Here is an explanation of how to ask a question about a string from within Transifex.

Thanks for being part of the Discogs Community Translation Team!
  • black_uriah over 4 years ago

Please could we agree with translation of "Wantlist" as "Lista de Deseos"? I have notice this has been translated as "Lista de Deseados", wich matches OK with "Wantedlist" but not with "Wantlist" (synonym of "Wishlist").
  • laserta over 4 years ago

I humbly think, "Lista de deseados" makes more sense, even if it is less literal.
    Anglosaxons often shorten.

Spanish (from Spain) is my mother tongue. I appreciate contibutions and opinions from other people, from another countries, but I know sometimes we need further explanations. Let is see:
    From Apple, and from Google Play, and from Amazon.es, to name a few. Every Spanish web in the Internet uses "Lista de deseos". You just need to make a search on Google to know what is used and what is not. So please let is get serious with translations. We need to change every "Lista de deseados", wich is completely incorrect, for "Lista de deseos". Anyway, I appreciate, again, every contribution.

You appreciate, I see :D
    It was my two cents, don't get bothered.

No problem. But we need to be careful with translations. There are revised translations that are very awful, and they are revised!!?? I do not understand what does it meant a translation is reviewed when is clearly incorrect, a bad translation. In those cases it is impossible to fix it :(

[quote=black_uriah][/quote]
    My friend, no problem, forum and discussions are useful for this reason: one propose, some proposal are good, other not, no need to be nervous about it ;-)

I completely agree, buddy! ;-)

One important question about formal / informal: In Spain we use informal discourse more than formal. Better "Debes tener que" or "Tienes que" than "Usted debe tener que". "Usted" is a more common Latinamerican formalism. In Spain "usted" is used only in very formal situations. So, we will need to chage every "usted" in those reviewed translations for the most informal "t煤".
  • Staff 71

Weetzie over 4 years ago

black_uriah
    There are revised translations that are very awful, and they are revised!!??

Unfortunately you will definitely find some translations that need to be updated. Prior to moving to hosting translations on Transifex, a large portion of Spanish translations were received from translators that weren't fully familiar with Discogs. When they were added to Transifex, all of the past translations needed to be marked as reviewed.

The easiest thing to do is to mark the string as an "issue" and then I'll be notified and can update the status. If you provide a corrected translation, I can add it, or you can just let me know that the translation is wrong, and I can mark the string as unreviewed and you can add the correction yourself.

Here is an explanation of what to do if you notice an incorrect translation.

Eventually as we move this translation project forward, we will consider asking certain community members if they are interested in being a Reviewer. Reviewers have the ability to accept translations as reviewed, and also "unreview" bad translations.

black_uriah
    One important question about formal / informal: In Spain we use informal discourse more than formal.

It's so great to see all this discussion and debate here! I'm going to leave this decision up to you and laserta, as you guys are the experts. If you want, I can help provide some data about what percentage of our community/site traffic comes from Spain versus other spanish speaking countries. Let me know if this would help, or if you think of anything else I can assist with! Thanks for all the effort adding translations, we should be adding them to the site early this coming week!
  • Staff 71

Weetzie over 4 years ago

Weetzie edited over 4 years ago
    I also wanted to mention that if there is one word or phrase that needs to be changed across several strings, you can just ping me in this thread and let me know. I can search for the word or phrase and mark all of the strings in which that word or phrase is present as unreviewed.

One point to discuss in my opinion is if these translations needs to be made under criteria of standardization and homogenization. If yes, there is no point of mixing formal / informal uses. And maybe this could be a difficult point to solve. Anyway we need to depart, again in my humble opinion, from a common place, in order to avoid shoddy work. Thanks Weetzie.

I will follow your advice, dear Weetzie ;-)

[quote=black_uriah][/quote]
    Of course, Spanish is Uriah's kingdom. For spanish, I let miself only throw a dime in the lake ;-) even because, as Kirsten knows, my spanish is the american one and it's not much similar as English and american-english are.

But, concerning the formal-informal adressing, Italian and Castellano are very close. Even in Italian, informal is more used in these kind of environment. But in German and Japanese don't, for instance.
    So I think, as Uriah affirmed above, would be better to find a common policy about that for the whole of the translated languages. This can't be decided by me and Uriah ;-)
    If Kirsten thinks every language can have different policies basing on regional habits, well, I vote for informal :D

The topic formal/informal, laserta, should deal exclusively with the common uses in every language, as you said above. In German, I assume, must be always formal, and very likely German translators know that. But for Spanish I vote, if this could be taken into consideration, YES, for informal discourse.
    And please do not crown me, buddy, because I am just a humble music collector, with a healthy obssession with quality work. And I do not want to be presumptuous, it is just a formal thing, I you know what I am trying to say.

black_uriah
    it is just a formal thing, I you know what I am trying to say.

Hey, don't be formal, we're latinos ;-)
    Yes, I know.
    Don't you think the bare infinitive of verb could be a neutral solution, in Spanish?

"Marketplace" should be translated for "Mercado Online"

[quote=laserta][/quote]
    Yeah, but don't forget latinos (latinamerican) are really formal in the use of personal pronouns, buddy!
    Yes, many times this could be the best solution: using the infinitive. But sometimes is better to conjugate the verb. So...
  • fastius over 4 years ago

Hi all! I will help with spanish translations too , my native language is spanish.

Thanks !
  • Staff 71

Weetzie over 4 years ago

black_uriah
    One point to discuss in my opinion is if these translations needs to be made under criteria of standardization and homogenization. If yes, there is no point of mixing formal / informal uses.

I'm in agreement with you, ideally translations will be standardized and cohesive across the site. I would be happy to post more extensive guidelines specific for each language, but I was hoping to get more feedback from other Discogs users fluent in Spanish before creating a guideline for Spanish translators.

elcholopaco & laserta - Do you think it would be best if there was a standard that Spanish translations should use informal speech when using the infinitive seems awkward? Or do you think Discogs should use more formal language?
  • pianoman74 over 4 years ago

black_uriah
    "Usted" is a more common Latinamerican formalism. In Spain "usted" is used only in very formal situations.

Well, that would be the optimum solution: one day having BOTH Latin American Spanish and European Spanish translations. Even though I'm "officially" no Spanish speaker, I know that differences may be huge.
    If you guys would like to see the differences, just compare Spanish Yahoo (Spain) to Latin American Spanish Yahoo (The Americas). Yes there are (at least) two available.

pianoman74
    that would be the optimum solution: one day having BOTH Latin American Spanish and European Spanish translations.

I agree that would be the best solution. If this was not possible, we need to get to the common point.

Weetzie
    I'm in agreement with you, ideally translations will be standardized and cohesive across the site. I would be happy to post more extensive guidelines specific for each language, but I was hoping to get more feedback from other Discogs users fluent in Spanish before creating a guideline for Spanish translators.

elcholopaco & laserta - Do you think it would be best if there was a standard that Spanish translations should use informal speech when using the infinitive seems awkward? Or do you think Discogs should use more formal language?

Dear Kirsten,
    I think, generally for latin-derivated languages, not only for Spanish, that the more suitable addressing is INFORMAL.
    However, Discogs has many non-latin users and their mothertongue languages.
    It's up to discogs staff to choose if giving a common format for that or using regional preferencies.
    I give you an example: in latin languages, we NEVER capitalise every first letter, like Discogs do. If you ask me, I will write "Te recuerdo Amanda" and not "Te Recuerdo Amanda". Unless the rule is the latter. ;-)

Weetzie
    If your question is about a specific string in Transifex, and needs to be answered by Discogs staff, please post a comment within Transifex. Here is an explanation of how to ask a question about a string from within Transifex.

Hi Weetzie, please unreview every string with "wantlist", "marketplace", "submission" and "label". Some of them are OK, but many, many others are not.
  • Staff 71

Weetzie over 4 years ago

Hi black_uriah, I've unreviewed all Spanish translations that include the string "wantlist", "marketplace", "submission" and "label".

Thanks, Weetzie!
  • agfranco over 4 years ago

Hi everyone!
    Regarding de informal-formal situation I believe the most "democratic" solution is the use of the formal "usted", it seems to be the norm in most of the spanish software developments.
    I know that Discogs is a relaxed enviroment but I think that using informal language will feel unprofessional to the users and since Discogs deals with buying and selling it might not be a great idea.

agfranco
    Regarding de informal-formal situation I believe the most "democratic" solution is the use of the formal "usted", it seems to be the norm in most of the spanish software developments.
    I know that Discogs is a relaxed enviroment but I think that using informal language will feel unprofessional to the users and since Discogs deals with buying and selling it might not be a great idea.

Hi agfranco,

Have you read previous posts about that topic? OK, my friend, the discussion lead us to the following point:

laserta
    generally for latin-derivated languages, not only for Spanish, (...) the more suitable addressing is INFORMAL

and

Weetzie
    ideally translations will be standardized and cohesive across the site.

In the other hand, I would like to share with everybody this links: eBay, Amazon, Paypal... just to name a few. Informal is the most common way used all across the Net for Spanish language. I have no doubt about the recognized professionalism of these sites, if I can say that.
    My advice, just try to adjust your translations to the way accepted by the rest of us, based on the common sense, wich is intended to be "democratic", dear friend ;-)

Hi black_uriah,

I did my reading but I'm still not sure about this, that's why I wrote about it.
    The reason I think "usted" it's democratic it's because it is used across all spanish language in the same way, while informal spanish varies from country to country. For example "vos" is used in Argentina and "tu" in Chile.
    Regarding professionalism, I don't know if you checked, but eBay is auto translating titles and it's just awful, not professional at all.
    I'm just trying to chime in, if discussion is closed and Informal is the way to go I think it should be advised to new users involved in the project.

Hi agfranco,

First of all, I understand your worries about it. All we are looking for the ultimate translation. Excellence is our goal.

agfranco
    if discussion is closed and Informal is the way to go I think it should be advised to new users involved in the project.

This is answered above in the forum. There was an agreement (explicit/implicit) to translate informal. If you need to reopen this topic, you just need to address to the other users and try to persuade them, if this is possible now.

In the other hand, we are not discussing about the quality other sites translate to Spanish. The main point is all of them have choose informal instead of formal discourse.

black_uriah
    I agree with you, we all ultimately want the best for Discogs in spanish.
    Maybe it is a lost cause and I should roll with it, but it just doesn't feel right. Even if eBay and Paypal did it that way I can't seem to enjoy their translations.
    Either way I can understand why you've chosen Informal and I'll do my translations that way from now on. Besides the translating part of the project is almost over and it would make no sense to change everything now.
    Thanks for your responses!

No problem. It was a pleasure to discuss it with you, my friend. ;-)
  • Staff 71

Weetzie over 4 years ago

If anyone has the chance, we've updated some Groups code and made a few other changes, which has added new, untranslated strings in Spanish:
    https://www.transifex.com/discogs-1/discogs-i18n/translate/#es/en/54138789?translated=no

Just FYI: we have a developer investigating all of the strings that are currently marked as issues in Transifex. They all require code changes to resolve.

Thanks for all of your help!
  • Staff 71

Weetzie over 3 years ago

Hello Spanish translators!

We've been syncing with Transifex every Thursday, but we will be syncing three times this week in an attempt to get as many translations live as possible. There are some new strings for an upcoming Discogs Labs beta test that you'll be hearing more about soon, as well as some last minute VAT updates. If you have time, check out the new and untranslated strings, and chip in a few translations: https://www.transifex.com/discogs-1/discogs-i18n/dashboard/

You might want to take advantage of the Transifex Translation Memory as I noticed that many of the new strings are actually 100% matches with past translations.

As always, let me know if you have any questions! Thanks for all of your help!
  • Shava_Sadhana over 3 years ago

Hello, I'm Stefan Peter Heiler from Germany. My username is shavasadhana. I'm working as a translator, interpreter and language teacher. I am mainly working with Japanese, Icelandic and English, but I studied some more languages, so that I can also offer Urdu, Bengali, Spanish and French translations in highest quality.
  • Staff 71

Weetzie over 3 years ago

Welcome Shava_Sadhana! I'm so excited to have you join the translation team - we don't have any other community translators that are adding Japanese translations! All of the current Japanese site translations were received from contractors, and you may notice that some of them aren't correct in context. You can mark a string as an issue if you notice this: http://www.discogs.com/help/doc/translate#correction

You are welcome to join the Spanish and French translations teams too if you wish. I've added you as a Japanese translator, but you'll have to request to join the other languages if you want to add any translations other than Japanese.

Definitely let me know if there is anything I can help with! You can always ping me in Transifex, mark a string as an issue, ping me in one of the threads in this Group, or just send me a private message.

Thanks for joining the Discogs translation team!
  • black_uriah over 3 years ago

Hi to everyone,
    Has passed some time since we had a discussion here to solve one thing or another... yeah. Moreover, I would like to know if we could agree in one important point. laserta said:
    laserta
    in latin languages, we NEVER capitalise every first letter, like Discogs do. If you ask me, I will write "Te recuerdo Amanda" and not "Te Recuerdo Amanda". Unless the rule is the latter.
    And we all know that this rule is more than accepted for song titles, etc., but should not be the same for translations we currently do on Transifex, with some exeptions.
    I am reviewing every string from top to bottom trying to bring more accurate translations to Discogs and found this could be a good reason to modify capitalized words when it should apply.
    This message is just a way to get an agreement over that point. Do you think is better to change capitalized words to get more realistic Spanish translations?
    Thanks so much!

• Discogenes over 3 years ago

As a Spanish from Spain I am, I agree with NOT capitalizing every first letter. Capitalization is accepted in titles because they are somehow like personal names. But as plain text, capitals make no sense, except for personal names and beginning of sentence

Here's my contribution for today.
    If I see you use my corrections, I promise to send you more.

Release page

Mercado Online:
    This kind of Spanglish is not natural.
    Of course Discogs works Online, so why adding Online to Marketplace?
    Why this should sound better in Spanish?
    "Mercadillo" is the only word which fits perfectly.
    In case Latin American speakers find it very "Spanish", Marketplace will be correct too.
    We Spanish are very familiar with the word "market" while speaking Spanish, and no problem when naming English global names.

Compilation / Mixed:
    "Recopilatorio" / "Mezclado"

Spain:
    We use to write "Espa帽a" ;)
    All countries should be translated too for consistency.

Release:
    "Publicaci贸n"

All versions of this release:
    "Todas las versiones de esta publicaci贸n"

A帽adir a la Colecci贸n:
    la colecci贸n? Which collection do you mean? There's only one Collection!
    Please use "A帽adir a Colecci贸n"

Estad铆stica:
    Estad铆stica is a part of Maths. That word makes no sense in that place.
    Please specify and use "Datos estad铆sticos"

Calificaci贸n media:
    Are we talking about school notes? If the answer is No, please use "Valoraci贸n media"

M谩s Im谩genes / 脷ltimo Vendido / En Venta / Revisar Cambios: Please don't capitalize unless Spanish rules allows it:
    M谩s im谩genes / 脷ltimo vendido / En venta / Revisar cambios

C贸digo de Barras y Otros Identificadores: Please don't capitalize:
    C贸digo de barras y otros identificadores

Barcode:
    "C贸digo de barras"

Ver Todos:
    Version is a femenine noun, please switch that O into A
    "Ver todas" without further capitalization.

Cat. n潞:
    English speakers will understand what it means, here in Spain it's called "Referencia"

Spain:
    "Espa帽a"

Recommendations:
    "Recomendaciones"

Publicar Comentario: Please don't capitalize ordinary/common nouns:
    Publicar comentario

Trabajos:
    Works? What do you mean with works? When talking about Human Resource activity, please use "Empleo"

Hi Discogenes,
    I agree with almost everything you wrote, except that sometimes in some contexts, like the one we are involved here in Discogs, some expresions may be accepted to highlight certain features, as in the case of "Mercado Online", wich is widely accepted in the Internet (in Spanish).

Also you suggest "Mercadillo" instead of "Mercado Online", but "Mercadillo" should be used specifically to translate "street market" and similars, but is inappropiate using it for a such a very large market.
    Some other of your suggestions are already used in the translations. This is the case of: "Publicaci贸n", "Todas las versiones de esta publicaci贸n", "Recomendaciones", etc.
    Anyway, I will review everything following your remarks.
    It would be easy for me to review all that stuff if you could include the original translation (in Spanish) you think needs changes.
    Cheers.

I agree "Mercadillo" sounds like "flea market". But the same happens with "Add to cart". You don't need to go outside home and you don't need any physical cart too. They are symbolic words. A Mercadillo is a Marketplace.
    Literally, it says something like Zona de Mercado (Lugar de Mercado, to be honest, but this is even less natural and more shocking)
    If Mercadillo sounds strange to you, I can suggest:
    "Zona de venta"
    I have edited this message several times and "Zona de venta" looks the best option. Also "脕rea de venta"
    However, before seeing Mercado Online, I prefer to see Marketplace

Here I attach some edited screenshots where you can spot all bad translations (or lack of translation)
    Picture 1.png
    http://www34.zippyshare.com/v/WNRU1Xyq/file.html
    Picture 2.png
    http://www34.zippyshare.com/v/4Om8vvhV/file.html

Discogenes edited over 3 years ago
    Mercado sounds like "Grocery" like "Mercadona" Spanish food supermarkets.
    You'll never associate digging for records like in a Flea Market or Music Fair with the picture of a food market. It has nothing to do. And if in addition of this we make it Spanglish by adding Online, it only suggests a sloppy translation.

I think it again and again, and "Zona de venta" seems the best translation

Besides Mercadillo ;)

Or "Mercado global"

Hi again Discogenes, "Mercado Online" is not an Spanglish expression. As you may know there is a lot of English words and expressions accepted in our language. You can find this particular expression on many, many Spanish and Latinamerican sites/webs. See:
    MercadoOnline

Estudios de Mercado Online

Tu Despensa / Tu Supermercado Online

to name a few.

And related to the other one in discussion, "Mercado"... "Mercadillo" sounds like a little "flea market" as you said, and Discogs is the largest music Marketplace in the world, that is why is not good enough this translation of Marketplace, and "Zona de venta", sound odd and unfamiliar enough (similar to "Comprar/Vender", as another option to "Marketplace").

I hope this will helps, my friend, to solve it.

mercadoonline.es is a good example
    A place for second hand advertising which anyone can join, that's ok

But the other examples suggest what I was afraid
    "Marketing Online" and "Grocery Online"

That's why I suggested "Zona de venta", to avoid popping up in mind Marketing trends and Grocery. What about "Mercadillo Global" ? Is there anything bigger than the globe? ;)

Dear Discogenes,

I gave you some examples of the use, commonly accepted, of "Mercado Online", besides whatever they do on this sites. On the other hand, you should find, first, some examples on the Internet of the use of "Mercadillo Global" and "Zona de venta".

Cheers.
  • Staff 71

Weetzie over 2 years ago

Hi all, you'll notice that there are a lot of new untranslated strings that were just added to Transifex. Styles and Genres are finally translatable! Feel free to discuss here or in one of the general Database forums if you get stuck on how to translate a style, or if a style should even be translated.
    Thanks for all of your help!
  • WhitestepMusic over 2 years ago

Well, just went and finished every string available. What is the consensus on the state of the translation? Completed? Needs review?
  • black_uriah over 2 years ago

I am just starting to review your work, WhitestepMusic.
    I think your translations are very good, just changing a little bit here and there trying to make them more "natural" in Spanish, some of them. But there are a lot good enough. I would beg you, please, to capitalize words following Spanish rules, instead of maintaining the ones from the original English text.
    Kudos!
  • WhitestepMusic over 2 years ago

Whoops, sorry about that, just went back and read this whole thread and saw you guys agreed on not capitalizing, although I feel capitalizing features should not be frowned upon. I mean, if for example you translate Wishlist to "Lista De Deseos" you're treating it like a proper noun which in spanish should be perfectly acceptable. Just a thought, I studied English translation in university and even my professors wouldn't settle for one or another way, lots of subjective arguments thrown around.

Cheers.
  • black_uriah over 2 years ago

I think it was a good idea to catch up with previous posts and agreements.

Cheers!
  • Staff 31

babasnae about 1 year ago

Hey all,

We're currently sending our help documents over to Transifex to get them translated into German, Italian, French, Japanese and Spanish.

We just got started with one article -"How Do I Activate My Account?" - and are still missing the Spanish one.

Would you mind helping with the translation of this one?

Here the direct link:

Spanish -https://www.transifex.com/discogs-1/translation-help-centre-documentation/viewstrings/#es/HTML-articles-360001578514/141575998?q=translated%3Ano

Thanks a lot for all your help! It's very much appreciated!
  • Staff 71

Weetzie 5 months ago

Hello Spanish Translation Team!

It's finally time! We want to start translating the Discogs Database Guidelines. This will be a great step towards getting more Spanish releases into the database!

Before we add the Database Guidelines for translation, we want to translate the Database Guidelines Glossary.

Any help you can provide would be much appreciated:
    https://www.transifex.com/discogs-1/zendesk-help-center-4/translate/#es/HTML-articles-360004017694/163139812?q=translated%3Ano

Thanks!
  • Staff 71

Weetzie 5 months ago

I'm going to make some improvements for our Community Translation Team in the coming months, and I would love to hear your feedback in this survey:
    Discogs Community Translation Team Survey

The survey is only a few questions long and should only take a few minutes to complete. I'll use the feedback to help guide improvements to the translator onboarding process. The survey is anonymous, so feel free to pass along any and all feedback. Thank you!!! :)
  • Staff 71

Weetzie 3 months ago

Hey all, just a quick update:

There are many places on the website where we "recycle" translations for certain words or phrases. For example, we don't ask you to translate "Forum" for each place it's used on the website - we simply use the same translation across the website. However, occasionally that doesn't work. There are several English homonyms (words that have the same spelling, but different meaning) for which we incorrectly reuse the same translation across the website.

One example, which has been an issue for a long time, is "Credits". On Discogs, "Credits" might relate to Artist "Credits" or Marketplace "Credits". Obviously, in most languages, two different translations are needed. But until recently we were using the same translation for both. But, as of today, we have a better way of separating out these strings! Wahooo!

Here is the string that relates to Marketplace Billing "Credits".

Here is the string that relates to Artist "Credits".

Will someone please check those two strings to make sure they are translated correctly? The Transifex "Translation Memory" filled in a translation for the new string already, but I'm not certain it's correct.

And please let me know if you run across other strings that are incorrectly using the same translation in multiple places. Thanks all!
  • Staff 71

Weetzie about 1 month ago

Hello again!

We've separated more homonym strings that may need different translations.

I've added String Instructions for all of these newly separated strings: https://www.transifex.com/discogs-1/discogs-i18n/translate/#en/$/175859639?q=tags%3AContext_Added

You'll notice that most of those strings have translations filled in by "DiscogsStaff"... but that really just means those translations were populated by our Translation Memory. Many of those translations are likely wrong. So if you have time, please take a look! Thanks!
  • Staff 71

Weetzie 22 days ago

Our developers have added translation tags to several areas of the website that were missing translations previously.

So there are many new strings that need translations. Any help you can provide with translations would be much appreciated: https://www.transifex.com/discogs-1/discogs-i18n/translate/#es/$/179022108?q=translated%3Ano

We also separated out a few strings related to feedback. Since "Feedback" is both plural and singular in English, the plural and singular strings were combined previously. Here are the related strings that might need to be corrected:
    https://www.transifex.com/discogs-1/discogs-i18n/translate/#es/$/179022109?q=tags%3Afeedback
    (Note that our Transifex "Translation Memory" just filled in the previously used translation. So although there are translations filled in, it's likely that two of those translations are incorrect.)

Remember newly provided translations aren't added to the website until the resource gets to 100% translated and reviewed, so let's try to get those translations complete. Thanks everyone!