• peetneet over 4 years ago

Hi all,
    Recenty i have been in contact with Stefano Brignoli from Brand Image.He was so kind to share this interview with me that a guy did some time ago.I will name him later.He had no problems letting me share it with the community, so here it is!
    Stefano is about to enter the world of performing artists, so please keep your eyes and ears open, perhaps you will see him on stage in the very near future! :-)
    Enjoy!!!

1) Where did you grow up and can you tell us a little of your childhood before going into the music business?
    I was born at Bergamo, central northern Italy, on Jan. 4th 1959. My father was a veterinary, my mother school teacher; I’m the fourth of six sons (4 sisters and 1 brother). My first approach with music was at age six as a drummer.

2) What made you decide to become a musician and what music did you listen to yourself back then?
    My grand-grand-grand-father was one of the most famous tenors in the 19th century (Luigi Bolis, a little curious info: he sang in the most famous theatres of the world together with the grand-grand-grand-father of George Aaron). Luigi’s son was a tenor too (Dante Bolis, my grand-grand-father). So we all sang for generations. Having two sisters and one brother older than me, I grew up surrounded by all kinds of music and started singing as I started speaking.

3) How was the Disco music scene and the atmosphere in these times (1982 - 1986)?
    The atmosphere was enthusiastic; we’ve listened for years to the great successes of U.S. disco music and started composing our music giving a unique melody in its track development.

4) Which of your own songs are you most proud of and which one is your favourite?
    I like them all but particular attention to “Are You Loving” Brand Image”because it was the first great success and “Shaking Lovers” Webo”because I find it the most professional in its realization.

5) What is your favourite Italo disco song not made by yourself?
    Oh God... there are so many! Let me mention just three that come to my mind: “Mad desire” Den Harrow, “Masterpiece” Gazebo”and “Take a chance” Bizzy & Co.”

6) Did you ever make any songs other than the official ones during these years Yes, but it isn’t in the Italo disco field. I’m a songwriter of Italian
    popular songs. In year 2000 I recorded an 8-track CD called””L’Abbraccio””but it was never distributed. My temper is more romantic than aggressive.

7) When did you first meet Marino Scarabelli and Tiberio Scarfone and how was it like to work with them?
    Tiberio was director of a radio station I was DJ in, Radio Lagouno. Marino was a friend of him. We knew one another about three years before deciding to make our first record. At that time I was the keyboard player/singer in progressive rock group “Orcynus Orca””and the bass player was Vince Lancini of Scotch.

8) Your first release was as Some Bizarre. "Don't Be Afraid" is my personal favourite of all your songs. How did you come up with the idea of the song and the name Some Bizarre?
    The original idea of making a song came from Tiberio who was also a DJ in a
    discothèque and started to programme Italian disco music since a couple of
    years before. He contacted Marino for a first base of the track and the song
    came out almost immediately. Tiberio initially wanted to use the name “Funny
    Marvin””but then decided “Some Bizarre””when they both called me for the text and for singing it. S.B. are also my initials and that convinced them. They called me because I was singing around. I studied English, French, German and Spanish at school and loved to compose anything even in foreign languages (texts, letters, poems, etc.).

9) You already told me that it was made in January of 1983 and that you did the vocals and also wrote the song. Can you tell us some more about the making of the song?
    The song music was entirely written by Marino. I wrote the lyrics. Obviously when you write lyrics to be coupled to a musical base on cassette, you often modify some of the original musical solutions even though I always tend to be as faithful as possible and couple the syllabes of the words to the metric of the music. Once both music and words are defined, the all team takes part of the general arrangement of the songs chosing the sounds, the pauses, the ideas which give a specific identity.
    One curiosity: I perfectly remember that I recorded half of the song in January,
    then I remained one week in bed with the flue and finished to sing it on early February with Marino and Tiberio esorting me to quickly heal as they wanted to finish the work!

10) What equipments (synths, drums etc.) did you use to make the song?
    Gosh! I don’t know. That stuff was used by Marino. I composed the lyrics at
    home and I remember that Marino and Tiberio listened to them for their first
    time in a bar (Bar La Barca) beside Lagouno radio station.

11) If there is anything else you would like to add about the song, feel
    free to fill in the blanks here. :-)
    This song was produced on early 1983 and I became an official SIAE author on
    November 1983. So I could not officially sign the songs. That’s why my name doesn’t appear beside Marino’s but it’is mentioned as a”Lyric’s arrangement.

12) After your first release you decided to change your name to Brand Image. How did you come up with that name and why did you not continue as Some Bizarre?
    The original project was to create two/three different artists even using the same voice. A second Some Bizarre’s song was never realized because Brand Image enjoyed a higher success and I was about to migrate to the team Manzoni-Milella.

13) Your first release as Brand Image was "Are You Loving" also in 1983 and as far as I know here started your collaboration with Mauro Farina as well. It's a very beautiful song. I've read that you actually sang the song yourself at first but that you decided to let Mauro sing it instead?
    That’s true. I originally sang this song but I think my performance with Some Bizarre was still too recent so we called Mauro. His voice was (is) perfect. Also, the fact of having a different artist’s name (Brand Image instead of Some Bizarre) convinced Marino that it was a good idea to have a different voice too.

14) Does it still exist any recordings of the song with you singing it?
    I don’t think so. I never heard a final result with my voice.

15) Can you tell us a little about the girl singing the beautiful backing vocals?
    Enrica Danesi is her name. She lived at Palazzolo sull’Oglio and was a collaborator of Lagouno radio station. She was also in the chorus of Some
    Bizarre’s “Don’t Be Afraid”.

16) What equipments (synths, drums etc.) did you use to make the song?
    Gosh! I don’t know. That stuff was used by Marino. I composed the lyrics on the sofa of Marino’s studio and he followed every step as the text was having birth.

17) If there is anything else you would like to add about the song, feel free to fill in the blanks here. :-)
    Whilst “Don’t Be Afraid””was our first esperience, therefore it was a sort of test song,””Are You Loving””presented itself as a real hit and gave us strength and enthusiasm to carry on. Tiberio was a fanatic of the Italian pop music group ”Pooh””and their song “Non Siamo In Pericolo””had a small part which was independent and performed with an electric guitar and background bells; that section inspired the only-guitar and claps part which is independent in “Are You Loving”. It was made for living up the song and create a sort of changement in the song itself.

18) In 1984 you released two songs. Which song did you make first, "Movin' Up" or "Surprise"?
    “Movin’Up””was made first and it is the text I consider it the most beautiful text I wrote for these songs. Marino agreed on this too and wanted me to repeat that text philosophy in “Love In A Summer Night”. “Surprise””is the first song I wrote with the team Manzoni & Milella”of Atlantide radio station. For a couple of years I had one foot in Scarabelli’s shoe and another in Manzoni’s.

19)"Movin' Up" was the second release as Brand Image. Mauro did vocals on this one too. Did you ever consider singing this yourself or was it natural to let Mauro do it since he sang on "Are You loving"?
    This was natural as you say. Mauro was much appreciated for “Are You Loving””
    performance so we enthusiastically called him for “Movin’Up”.

20) What equipments (synths, drums etc.) did you use to make the song?
    Gosh! I don’t know. That stuff was used by Marino. I composed the lyrics dreaming of my brand new love who became my wife after four years. She was (is) definitely shorter than me and I loved her kind of kissing me moving up her face. That conditioned all the song’s words.

21) If there is anything else you would like to add about the song, feel
    Again I remember we first analyzed “Movin’Up””text at bar La Barca and it
    appeared perfectly matching Marino’s textless voice that was my metric guide.

22) With "Surprise" you started your collaboration with Corrado Manzoni,
    Richard Milella and the Atlantide studio. How did you come to meet them and what was it like to work with them?
    Thank to the collaboration between the radio stations (Lagouno and Atlantide), we all knew one another in the field. Richard was also entertainer when famous singers were in concert in our area. I spoke to him during a show of “Brand Image” and told him the text was mine. He phoned me a couple of months later asking to compose a text for Deborah Kinley.

23) How was the atmosphere in the Atlantide studio compared to the one at il Discotto?
    Atlantide was radio, label and studio and we did everything over there. Discotto was just label, we used Marino’s home studio for composing and preparing anteprimas, then we realized the final product at Regson Studio in Milan.

24) "Surprise" is a very beautiful song and it suits Deborah's voice perfectly. What inspired you to make it?
    “Surprise””is the first song I wrote for a girl so I expressed my romantic aspect. Curious, it comes easier to me to write for girls than for boys.

25) What equipments (synths, drums etc.) did you use to make the song?
    Gosh! I don’t know. I even don’t know who handled that stuff. The atmosphere with Scarabelli team was very”domestic”and friendly, the one with Manzoni team was also friendly but much more professional.

26) If there is anything else you would like to add about the song, feel
    I met Deborah Kinley only twice in my life and we exchanged a couple of words. I’m sure we wouldn’t recognize each other if we’d meet today walking in a street.

27) In 1985 you released three songs. "All For You", "Love In A Summer Night" and "Shaking Lovers". Which song did you make first?
    “Love In A Summer Night””was the first but it was made almost simultaneously with “All For You”. “Love In A Summer Night””was my last song with Scarabelli & Scarfone and was probably theirs too.

28) "All For You" was your second release for Atlantide Studio and the second you made for Deborah Kinley. It has a bit of a Jazzy feel over it. Was it intentional or what inspired you to do it?
    It was intentional. Deborah Kinley became a star with “Surprise”, especially in France and we felt the responsibility of keeping up such a prestigious image. Adding a Jazzy feel over it meant to supply a touch of class to the song.

29) What equipments (synths, drums etc.) did you use to make the song?
    Gosh! I don’t know. I even don’t know who handled that stuff. I used to attend at the studio during the singing only.

30) If there is anything else you would like to add about the song, feel
    Richard was initially reluctant for the title “All For You””as he founded it of no-impact. Then he changed his mind when I translated the whole text into
    Italian. I wrote those lyrics in my home bedroom and was happy that that song was for Deborah Kinley as I could release all my sentiments and describe a girl in love.

31) With “Love In A Summer Night" you changed studio. Can you tell us a little about why and how it was like to work for Farina & Crivellente at Factory Sound?
    Honestly this changement happened after my go. I took part of the first recording at Regson Studio in Milan and initially I was in charge of singing it and I did. I was satisfied by the final result but suddenly Marino and Tiberio decided to change voice as this track had to be published with a third artist name; not as Brand Image. All steps after my recording are unknown to me as I left and kept on collaborating with Corrado and Richard. So, Farina & Crivellente, Factory Sound and other voices were a surprise which I discovered some time after.

32) The song is the perfect summer song for me with a simply fantastic chorus. What inspired you to make the song?
    Summer is freedom, summer is life, summer is resurrection. That’s it!

33) Is it you singing the song or someone else and who did the backing
    vocals?
    As I wrote before, I initially sang it and I considered it an excellent
    performance but then I left and lost any track as to who sang it, chorus,
    etc. Other persons which I never met were called.

34) What equipments (synths, drums etc.) did you use to make the song?
    Gosh! I don’t know. Certainly Marino used all that stuff. I attended the studio during my original singing, then I left the team.

35) Can you tell us who is who on the backside of the cover sleeve. Does it exist any other photos of Brand Image or any photos of yourself working in the studios from these years?
    I have no vynil record of this song at home so I have no idea of the guys on
    the sleeve. Honestly I don’t remember cameras in the studio while working. Mobile phones didn’t exist so there wasn’t the opportunity to get some amatorial shots. It’s a pity, we never considered how precious those shots could have been in the future!

36) Was there ever any official videos or tv performances made by Brand Image?
    I don’t think so, unless something was realized after my go but I would have
    known it.

37) If there is anything else you would like to add about the making of
    this song, feel free to fill in the blanks here. :-)
    When Brand Image was in concert, the image guy was Nicola Micheli (see my
    facebook friends’’list). He and his brother Mauro (in facebook too) looked after the cover graphics too.

38) With “Shaking Lovers””you worked with the Atlantide studios again. You wrote it together with Luigi Fedele, Salvatore Grieco and Richard Milella. Can you tell us a little about the inspiration and progress of making it?
    The success of Deborah Kinley strengthened my collaboration with Atlantide Studio, so I was immediately contacted by Richard as they decided to produce
    a Webo’s new song.

39) Who did the lead vocals and backing vocals in the song?
    Funny! I don’t know the name of the singer since I saw him once only when singing. I remember he was a pizza-maker working in a restaurant in the surroundings of Milan. Three persons in the backing vocals: me, Deborah Kinley and a third occasional person who assisted that day only.

40) There is a video of Webo on YouTube performing “Shaking Lovers””at the music fair Midem in France. It's the same person as on the record sleeve. Is it Salvatore or can you tell us who he is?
    I have no vynil record of this song at home and, from what I remember, the
    guy is the same of the cover sleeve. I don’t know his name as the image was
    decided by Salvatore and Richard. That guy is not Salvatore nor Richard.

41) What equipments (synths, drums etc.) did you use to make the song?
    Gosh! I don’t know. Salvatore handled that stuff. I used to attend at the
    studio during the singing only.

42) If there is anything else you would like to add about the song feel
    This song is my favourite among all I did in terms of professionality and
    realization. I proudly propose it at any parties as I find it with no defects.

43) In 1986 you made another song for Webo. It didn't get as popular as ”Shaking Lovers””but for me it's a very nice song. It was also your only release for Lombardoni Publishing. You wrote it with Andrea Denti and Giuliano Giovanelli.
    How did you get to meet them how was it like to work with them?
    “Miracles””is the song. I never met Giuliano. Richard gave me the music base to be texted. Andrea was the Director of a radio station named Blu Radio which I collaborated a bit for; he passed away a couple of years ago because of a cancer. I lost a friend.

44) The song has a different vocalist than “Shaking Lovers”. Who sang the song and who did the backing vocals?
    I was totally absent during all recording and honestly I don’t know how the
    singing part were managed. Sorry. I believe it was the same vocalist of
    “Shaking Lovers”” with a different equalization...

45) What equipments (synths, drums etc.) did you use to make the song?
    Gosh! I don’t know. I even don’t know who handled that stuff. This song is
    the one I was more absent than any other.

46) If there is anything else you would like to add about the song, feel
    I invented both title and text as I wanted something astonishing in terms of
    events (russians and yankees having fun.. at that time Berlin’s wall was still up).

47) Also in 1986 there was a cover made of "Are You Loving" by Thomas T. It was released on Time Records. Did you agree on them releasing the song and how come you're not listed on the credits?
    I wasn’t asked about this cover. Obviously as the author, I’m always happy to hear my songs somehow distributed so I hadn’t anything to claim. It is sad I was not in the credits; I think that happened because I was working for the other team at that time and there was a sort of (friendly) competition between them, even though, as far as I’m concerned, I remained in excellent
    friendly relationship with anybody.

48) What can you tell us about the time after all this? Did you leave the music scene entirely or what are you doing nowadays?
    In 1987 I got married so I focussed onto the family scene (I became father
    in 1997) but kept on composing putting many ideas inside my drawers. In 2000 I met the record producer Athos Poma of both Buena Suerte Editions and La Bambolina Records, and started collaborating with the team Athos Poma
    & Gianfranco Maffi. The result was some new songs in ten years which were produced and distributed to several disc-jockeys all around Italy. Also in 2000 I recorded a personal Italian pop music CD named “L’abbraccio””but it was never distributed. In 2007 two songs of mine, “Tapis triple””and “Blumarine” were used by the movie director Roberto Attolini as soundtrack for his movie titled “Brume basse”.

49) Is there anything else you would like to add that I have forgotten to ask, please go ahead. :-)
    In your questions I see no mention of “Very well””(side B of “Surprise”) and
    “Monday Baby””(side B of “All For You”). I also wrote “Magic Holiday””for Cherry. I remember I composed the text for this song while in Athens during a holiday.

News: Since one year I restored my relationship with Marino (we lived 25 years without seeing each other!). He gave me a track composed in 1985; he completed the music part but there were no words so it remained in a drawer for decades. Now I’m about to write the lyrics, I certainly will sing it as Some Bizarre and… who knows.. it will be a 80s styled song.
    Last but not least, in 2006 I started writing books and my first novel named
    “I frutti della passione” was published last year. In 2010 I published my second novel titled “La luna in blue-jeans”. I am now writing a third
    novel expected for next year. There is no translation nor editor for these book… maybe Holland is going to be my first foreign market..

Kind regards Stefano Brignoli

• zolono over 4 years ago

very interesting!
  • Jogi over 4 years ago

Thx, my friend!
    Nice work. :))
  • Kaytron over 4 years ago

Thanks for posting the interview, Peter. It's very revealing in some aspects. I remember who done it several years ago, and now get finally released!

By the way, recently I also saw a clip of Stefano performing a kind of medley of SB and BI songs on a discotheque. Really worth to watch.
  • euroflash over 4 years ago

Pete,

A Nice read, my friend. Thanks!

Alex
  • wiz_of_oz over 4 years ago

Yes nice read but I thought I already saw it and so did a search and see it was on Eurflash some years ago (including pictures):

http://www.euro-flash.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2989&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=15&sid=a43bd49b809e6ea2ddf4c4f6c204a46e
  • maxhim over 4 years ago

maxhim edited over 4 years ago
    Read it before indeed, could,t trace when and were

Hehe, thnx guys! Myself didn't know about the interview, so i thought it was kinda hot news :-) Well for me it was a real pleasure to read and i hope for many who didn't yet too.
    It was taken by Dj NeXium69 regarding Stefano

Yes Wiz, i also saw the compilation on YT / FB and that's the reason i got in contact with him! It really blew me away seeing Some Bizarre performed by the real genuine writer and vocalist on stage!!
    As a few might know Don't Be Afraid is one of my alltime favo's and it's about always in 1 of my livesets :-)
    Cheers!!!

I meant Kaytron, sorry! :-)

wiz_of_oz edited over 4 years ago
    Some thoughts I always had about Some Bizarre - Don't Be Afraid but don't seem to be true or?

1.The drumprogramming is done by the same person as Scotch - Disco Band cause they sound so alike.
    I read in the interview that Vince Lancini (of Scotch) was in the same band as Stefano Brignoli: "At that time I was the keyboard player/singer in progressive rock group “Orcynus Orca””and the bass player was Vince Lancini of Scotch. " This might have influenced both songs?

2. The name Some Bizarre was also the name of a label with important synthpop-bands like Depeche Mode and Soft Cell. http://www.discogs.com/label/287055-Some-Bizarre-Records
    I thought that the bandname was inspired from this label.

Could somebody somebody post that clip of Some Bizarre's performance (I'd like to see!)?

Thanks Peet! :)
  • Kaytron over 4 years ago

Kaytron edited over 4 years ago
    wiz_of_oz
    1.The drumprogramming is done by the same person as Scotch - Disco Band cause they sound so alike.

To me, Don't Be Afraid sounds EXTREMELLY SIMILAR to Penguins' Invasion and Hey D.J., I mean keyboards and drums programming. And the three records were released in the same period (early 1983).

As far as I know, Manlio Cangelli told me once that he played the keyboards in Are You Loving? (Could Stefano confirm this point?). So I suspect that his 'touch' is also present on Don't Be Afraid.