• lateatnight over 8 years ago

lateatnight edited over 8 years ago
    What have been/are, in your opinion, the most prominent and reliable sources for Electronic Music's activists and enthusiasts?

I am studying this genre - and, possibly, some of its styles in more detail - and I'd like to track changes in trends and tastes by reviewing some good source.
    Yet, I have NO IDEA on the best sources for this genre. I assume Billboard is not one of them :-)
    At the same time, it is not easy to find very niche fanzines in libraries' archives or so.

Suggestions and help are welcome!

Thank you!!

Nobody there giving me a hint? :-(
  • OceanTiki over 8 years ago

"Electronic" is more of a method rather than a "genre".
  • Ron242 over 8 years ago

There is no such thing as a 'reliable source' for music journalism. No easy way. Let's say you categorize it and start with soul, blues, classical and even jazz. Ideally one would design an application (or database (hint)) depicting the lot from start to finish. That would not only categorize the official but also the unofficial, formal and non-formal information et al. This is also why there is so many cultural diversity in music and artists. And i for one am quite pleased for that.
  • Christopher_Jion over 8 years ago

well.... the method enters in as a condition of the artform itself...
    sooo it kinda is a genre.
  • dj_julie over 8 years ago

lateatnight
    What have been/are, in your opinion, the most prominent and reliable sources for Electronic Music's activists and enthusiasts?

sounds like something the fuzz would ask

dj_julie
    sounds like something the fuzz would ask

Ok: let's say I am trying to track the genre, over time. And the genre has styles. I need to monitor what has been said about the genre, over the last decades. Should I give up, or should I maybe try to do my best??
  • synthetixsounds over 8 years ago

hello, I think what you are asking is what magazines that cover electronic music are the best for learning more about the genre.....correct?

if so, I'm afraid most electronic music mags are no longer existing - URB and XLR8R used to be the best two US magazines that covered electronic music and they are both now online only, look them up, and order some back issues if you still can. I grew up with both magazines and they were big for introducing me to a ton of different electronic music artists and genres back in the day.

For UK mags, Muzik was a good one that is also now gone. Not sure if Mixmag is still around since Borders Books & Music shut down they were my only way of getting it here in the USA. DJ is another UK mag that was good, there were others like Knowledge (for Drum & Bass), Mixer (US version of Mixmag), and the short lived Revolution that tried to capitalize on the US Electronica hype of the late 90's.

the entire run of Muzik back issues is online here in pdf format if you are interested:

www.muzikmagazine.co.uk/

but if I were you, I would just do some research on the internet on the history of the modern era of electronic music starting with Detroit techno and work your way up from there. Wikipedia has plenty of info, start here if you have to:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Techno

hope this helps you out.

synthetixsounds: Thank you! At least it is a start !!
    :-)
  • syntaxfreeform over 8 years ago

Haven't read a copy for years, but used to like The Face magazine.
  • AMJacker over 8 years ago

I don;t know any new ones but I have been having a blast checking out these old ones from the early 90's and up...
    http://ravearchive.com/zine
  • spiraltribeliverpool over 8 years ago

A german magazine called Groove is good, but you gonna need to have an understanding of german ;-)
  • Nick_G over 8 years ago

Thanks to that link to Muzik Magazine synthetixsounds. That brings back some memories.

I have a magazine here just called Electronic, subtitle The Ultimate Electronic Music Magazine. It has articles on Underworld, Ultravox, The Human League, Kraftwerk, Can, A Guy Called Gerald, Hot Chip, Minimal Wave, Twin Shadow, Fad Gadget etc. It also came with a free CD called Back To The Phuture. Unfortunately it looks like it was a one-off. Maybe it will get a proper run later this year?
  • musicshaolin over 8 years ago

I have collected a lot of magazines for Electronic Music/Techno music over the past 20 years and started to sell them...

Groove
    Frontpage (used to be very big in the the 90s)
    D2000
    Ten Dance
    Deep Magazine
    Envelope (Austria)
    De:Bug
    Seven
    House Attack
    Spacematic
    Beam me up
    Raveline
    Loop
    Partysan

I still have a lot of mags left!Let me know if you need some for research!They are mostly in German language though!

Thank you all: this helps a lot.
    I can buy magazines, if you have a consistent collection (meaning all the issue across a good time-span). Some missings can be acceptable, but not big gaps!
    US and UK magazines would be optimal.
  • Mechayoshi over 8 years ago

I know of this magazine called elektro. They only cover edm kind of stuff. In my area, they carry them at Bi-Lo.
  • headphonesex over 8 years ago

The only good electronic music magazine ever was Jockey Slut.
  • oneseven over 8 years ago

magic feet was the best for electronic music, the rest were fashion mags. they also ran a label for a few years which put out some decent tracks

http://www.discogs.com/label/Magic+Trax
  • freewave over 8 years ago

Glad someone responded about Muzik magazine as they were one the best late 90's
    Plenty of great issues scanned from 95-02 in there
    http://www.muzikmagazine.co.uk/

Resdient Advicsor Website being prob the next best online periodical to come around after http://www.residentadvisor.net/feature.aspx?1145 although a bit less anthems and more deep dishes.

Mixmag just cause they were still there.
  • mjb over 8 years ago

The Wire covers experimental music of various genres, not just electronic. The pretentious writing is a change of pace from what you get in the club music magazines, even though they never really have anything much to say.
  • 8892sales over 8 years ago

My fave mag in the UK was called "Rave". From 1989-1990. For the proper acid house heads. Used to publish all the illegal venues, underground clubs, pirate radios etc.

Some had their moments but, most became shit fashion mags very quickly or concentrated too much on mainstream club music ie epic trance crap, garage, progressive house, ibiza crap.

Personally found Jockey Slut a bit too elitist or crusty even. Too tech house, minimal centric for my liking. The kind of yawnfest you'd hear at 'wiggle' and similar places.

Liked DJ Warlock's reviews on Bass Generator. Wasn't bad for a while circa 1993-95.

Hit the Decks was ok for a very short period circa 1992. Had some funny features at the back.

I used to quite like DJ Mag at the beginning 1991/1992. Enjoyed the reviews by GTO. But that went down the mainstream gutter just like the rest when another journalist replaced that spot.
  • dee-bee over 8 years ago

dee-bee edited over 8 years ago
    DJ & Mixmag were ok circa 1992-1993, some nice free tapes & cd on the front of DJ mag.
    Then later Muzik Magazine 1995 -1997 was good, + free tapes / cd's

Jockey Slut - circa 1994 -1997 (free 7" singles).

Eternity & Generator http://www.generatormagazine.com/

Magic Feet was great (still got all my back copies of that) & then a bit later Overload (zine) when Magic Feet disappeared.

I used Fatcat Records Mail order some time in the mid 90's & they threw in this little black & white ghetto home photocopied fanzine from France called 'Ear Se Pronounce' - which was great, i subscribed to it & have about 4 or 5 issues.
    Fatcat Records also did a similar zine (although i only have one copy of that, not sure if that was a one off or if they published more.)

There was also another random small little b&w photocopy few sheets of A4 zine around the same time called - Cobalt.
    Had a few issues of that, couldn't say how long it ran for.

Knowledge magazine http://www.discogs.com/label/Knowledge+Magazine
    Breaking Point
    Lexicon (free zine)
    ... were all worth a read for d&b etc.

I have a few copies of The Wire, XLR8R & Seven knocking about aswell.

Heard good things about Atmosphere, Blaze & I.T.A.H also bitd, (but never saw / read any of those at the time due to location = hard to come by) .

& then... this new fangled thing called 'the internet' arrived.
    I can honestly say that i have not bought a magazine (of any description) for getting on 10 years or more now.
    Still not sure if that's a good thing or a bad thing :/

• Jayfive over 8 years ago

Jayfive edited over 8 years ago
    8892sales
    But that went down the mainstream gutter just like the rest when another journalist replaced that spot.

That would be Thomas H Green. Yes when the technohead column finished shortly after Lee Newman died the focus of the section changed from everything from amibent to speedcore to almost completely purist/minimal/detroit techno. The guy did have good things to say about Hellfish and Producer though - even interviewed them.

Those BPM reviews in DJ Mag were as funny as they were strange with their 'fluttery chugging 120.2 -0 - 120.2' gibberish. Who was all that for?
  • m44-7 over 8 years ago

all of this shit is a waste of time.

distros, record stores, countless online samples - you'll never be able to sample all the music that's waiting for you somewhere "out there", and then you decide you want to waste some of that precious time on somebody else's opinion? come on.
  • Jazzual over 8 years ago

oneseven
    magic feet was the best for electronic music

Totally agree. That was a serious music magazine, digging out articles and reviews on what was often very obscure underground labels. Obviously this were pre-internet days so I used this magazine (as well as Muzik and Jockey Slut later) to discover new music. I remember reading a review of Leo Anibaldi's Muta and picking up a copy of that great album in Birmingham's Virgin Megastore. Hard to imagine a release like that being available in a mainstream record store now!
  • selectajones over 8 years ago

R I P J O C K E Y S L U T
  • selectajones over 8 years ago

nobody picking up on wire? ok there critical beats reviews tend to be super selective and highly contentious... but personally I appreciate the offering of outspoken opinions - music is to be pondered, interpreted, critiqued - as well as felt and danced to : ) the space they gave to artist interviews is pretty great.
  • zykotik over 8 years ago

A later UK magazine which was pretty good around the late 90s was Wax. This mainly focused on hard dance, techno, hardcore etc but covered a few other bits as well. Used to have a few decent CDs on the cover too.

Eternity was probably the best UK magazine in the early 90s for hardcore and jungle, although it also covered plenty of house, techno etc. I remember 94-95 as its peak, very well presented, loads of articles / interviews etc. Then the editor became some kind of religious fanatic and the tone of the magazine changed drastically, and not for the better.

Other magazines I remember were Atmosphere (mainly covered jungle and was only really found in south-east England) and The Scene, which was more of a fancy looking fanzine really.

Also from the hardcore/drum & bass perspective you had Dream Magazine, that was mid-late 90s (and its predecessor, Cloud Nine, which ran for 3 issues). From a purely happy hardcore/gabber perspective you also had To The Core. Dream used to come out with some pretty bitter remarks about TTC but I always thought TTC was better personally.

Knowledge has already been mentioned, but I thought from an interest point of view it was worth mentioning that what became a glossy high street magazine started life as an 8 page black and white A5 pamphlet only available in Bristol and Bath. I had all the of the first 20 issues but they disappeared a long time ago :(
  • m44-7 over 8 years ago

i can understand a little harmless/pointless online arguement, but seriously im not crazy to pay to read what some guy thinks about music, or is simply told to write about this or that release. i wouldnt even if he paid me to read that shit.

music sleeps in the record store, and all i ever needed to know or was interested in can only be found there.