• traffic_cone over 6 years ago

Maybe not totally relevant for this forum, but anyway...

http://weyheyhey.com/openlettertofrank.png

check this out. written by a mate of mine who had one of his tunes, sent to rotator, essentially passed off as one of his own for some compilation.

and the sets -live acts as himself - he's played in the past few years, apparently most of it just tunes he's been sent by talented people like TechDiff et al.

sickening really, given the size of this scene, that someone could make a name off other people's work...what do you think?
  • hutcho over 6 years ago

Hmm link doesnt load for me...however this has happened to a few friends of mine yes...partly why i used to only send 'demos' of my tunes to ppl on the crappiest cassettes i could find - enough to appraise a song, not enough to rip & press it. These days can still opt for poor quality mp3s etc - once agin enough to rate a track & then get paper signed first.

that's the position of influence you have running a label like peace off with a name i guess, that you can get away with it. just a shame for the people who's work is being used for someone else's benefit really.

link is just an artist who sent his own stuff to be released on peace off only to find his new work edited slightly and passed off as original work...
  • UNDERGROUNDMUSIC over 6 years ago

traffic_cone
    link is just an artist who sent his own stuff to be released on peace off only to find his new work edited slightly and passed off as original work...

Fuck me... not another "oh boohoo i've been sampled" thread.

Just like a couple of Italians complaining recently about sampling, this guy is a hypocrite of the worst kind.

[Rotator] "ripped off one of my tunes by SAMPLING heavily from my work without my permission"

Check out... http://soundcloud.com/weyheyhey

Unless Weyheyhey can show that he contacted all the people involved in making the music he sampled for his tracks (ESPECIALLY Jen's Amaze Piano House Megarave Mashup). Then he needs to wind his neck in. To say shit like "Fuck the artitst who made the music, what are they going to do" when you have made a bunch of tracks that heavily sample early 90's hardcore makes any argument pointless. I can name about 10 artists in Weyheyhey's tunes that would be spitting shit if they heard what he had done with their music.

Frank DJs under the name "Rotator" as well as playing live. The fact it is not mentioned on the flyer whether he is playing a DJ set or a LIVE set is not his fault.

Gregory Cylvester Coleman's grave is rattling he is laughing so hard at these people moaning about being sampled.
  • Jayfive over 6 years ago

UNDERGROUNDMUSIC
    Then he needs to wind his neck in.

Thats not a native Hertfordshire term there Simon, you been holidaying oop norf?

UNDERGROUNDMUSIC
    Frank DJs under the name "Rotator" as well as playing live. The fact it is not mentioned on the flyer whether he is playing a DJ set or a LIVE set is not his fault.

And these days its increasingly difficult to tell the difference. So if the artist plays mp3s of his own stuff on Ableton its a live PA, if its other peoples stuff on Ableton its a DJ set?

Given the last comment, this is even more ridiculous than that Frazzbass nonsense.

And no hardcore artist of ANY kind should be moaning about being sampled or having their work remixed.

If someone was selling CDs full of other people's material as their own and making cash money of it, thats a different container of piscines altogether. But thats not whats happening here. Necks should indeed be wound in.

For christ sake Rotator even gave credit to Weyheyhey for his beats.

http://rotator.bandcamp.com/track/no-surrenda-free-download

"Sample beats took from the incredible Weyheyhey trax : "I'm your daddy" "

How many sample credits has Weyheyhey given to people for his tracks... as far as I can see, none.

Get them both in here to sort it out* :D

*I reserve the right to edit and/or remove their posts for the lulz :P
  • LowEntropy over 6 years ago

dunno about that rotator case but there is a lot of ripping off going on in "our scene". i've been paid for all my vinyl releases but i know a lot of guys on different labels who weren't.
    i've come to the conclusion that the ripping off, backstabbing and bullshit like that is a lot worse in the "hardcore" scene than in other electronic genres, or the mainstream for that matter.

LowEntropy
    i've come to the conclusion that the ripping off, backstabbing and bullshit like that is a lot worse in the "hardcore" scene than in other electronic genres, or the mainstream for that matter.

I think its about the same tbh.

UNDERGROUNDMUSIC edited over 6 years ago
    Jayfive
    *I reserve the right to edit and/or remove their posts for the lulz :P

...or to close the topic to save people from diggin themselves into deeper holes!!
  • fly_free over 6 years ago

fly_free edited over 6 years ago
    no wonder, rotator sounds so random nowadays, when he samples stuff like this ;)

both tracks sound like the most of the other recent un-unique "breakcore". its popmusic.
  • irionman over 6 years ago

I fail to see what's so huge on this one.

irionman
    I fail to see what's so huge on this one.

Aye, this is even more stupid than the frazzbass nonsense. In that he was moaning that hes been sampled/ripped and not given permission.

This hipster Shitmat wannabe is claiming he hasnt been given due credit when he in fact has. Muppet.
  • 0frg over 6 years ago

UNDERGROUNDMUSIC
    For christ sake Rotator even gave credit to Weyheyhey for his beats.

Jayfive
    This hipster Shitmat wannabe is claiming he hasnt been given due credit when he in fact has. Muppet.

May I just point out that Weyheyhey wasn't initially given any credit by Rotator, who added the credit after Weyheyhey argued with him. FYI I'm not involved in that stuff, just saw this in some other thread about that "case".

Here is what I don't get. You put out a song right? Then you get pissed off at someone sampling your song when you probably sampled something else in order to make your song.
  • fly_free over 6 years ago

maybe it depends on released/unreleased? it reads like he sampled from a demo cd. not sure if it makes a difference...

That could possibly cause an issue, but at the same time, I never saw that come up in the email.
  • 0frg over 6 years ago

Yes looks like the issue is rather that. Sampling a beat is nothing uncommon in hardcore or breakcore. Sampling a beat from a recent or even still unreleased track from somebody who sent you a demo CD without (initially) acknowledging it and without letting the original producer know, that's certainly more questionable.

Now Rotator playing other people's work during his performances is way more blurry as Simon and Jayfive pointed out.
  • witteskoiier over 6 years ago

well, if you say fraud my mind goes to this release

http://www.discogs.com/Barbarian-Destroyer/release/1764309

Complete copy-paste release stolen from artists like Cellblock-x, X-Crash and
    Mescalinum United.
    Available as digital download right now.(started in 1993 as cd release)
  • 0frg over 6 years ago

0frg edited over 6 years ago
    Haha yeah 5th Gear are undisputed champions in this category.

I was aware of these ones: Gabberbox 16 - Techno Hardcore & Terror - 60 Crazy Hardcore Trax.

And these wankers dared to write on their releases that "Copy kills music". They knew what they were talking about!

I like the 5th Gear "soundalike" artist names...DJ Flomo being a favourite.

Anyway... I should clarify something here.

The "sampling" in question was taking a pretty big chunk of another track. I don't think anyone making breakcore could object to sampling in principle. But if you were just using a massive chunk of another track, is there not surely a point when it's something else? Maybe not, but it is different to just And yeah the credit was added after people had pointed out the similarity. It applies to other tracks too apparently, and other artists that had sent him stuff.

Plus I was also talking about him playing live sets as himself with other people's tunes, tunes given to him for release on his label...I think that's pretty dodgy too personally.

Admittedly reading the comments i can sort of understand the reaction cos there's other background to this not there, it's not just someone taking the huff cos they used the same amen or something. Probably shouldn't have posted it really! But an opportunity for a rant anyway!

PS, "wannabe Shitmat hipster" - really? I can assure you that's not the case...

traffic_cone
    PS, "wannabe Shitmat hipster" - really? I can assure you that's not the case...

What, not even the 'hipster' bit? :P

Jayfive edited over 6 years ago
    traffic_cone
    But if you were just using a massive chunk of another track, is there not surely a point when it's something else?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yh_WCY1lMNw - No point to this track?

I can name 1000 others but it'll get boring very quickly!]

traffic_cone
    Plus I was also talking about him playing live sets as himself with other people's tunes, tunes given to him for release on his label...I think that's pretty dodgy too personally.

Luke plays out as "The DJ Producer" all the time (same name as his productions) and plays all manner of unreleased tracks sent to him by other producers. Luke has been playing the tracks from the latest Rebelscum since last year, and before it was confirmed as a SCUM release. How can you be sure if the promotor who booked Frank booked him for a live set or a DJ set if he plays under the same name like Luke?

Edit: I didnt say that last quote so have changed it to t_c's name - J5.
  • systmcrsh over 6 years ago

heh, i like the google ad in the email. that should be the story here.
  • LowEntropy over 6 years ago

systmcrsh
    heh, i like the google ad in the email. that should be the story here.

heh i didnt see it the first time. very funny indeed ;-)
  • ayatollahblade over 6 years ago

Such a family sized can of worms this. There are definitely valid grievances all round, and most of it could be avoided with some basic courtesy and/or lowered expectations by all parties ha. I realised a long time ago that I was never going to be able to formulate a strong argument against sampling when my music is so heavily based around sampling. It's so hard to say where the line should be drawn because everyone has their own line, and i'm fast approaching a stance whereby the line may as well just not exist at all, if that makes any sense.

I can vouch for Weyheyhey being a fantastic producer, but I kinda regret pasting the link on another forum to see how the discussion panned out, in hindsight it would have probably been best to just keep away from it all.