• Jazzual over 10 years ago

How can the band that produced 'Dark and Long','Cowgirl', 'Pearl's Girl', 'Shudder/King of Snake' and so many other classics put their name to this?

High Contrast Feat. Tiësto* & Underworld - The First Note Is Silent

The first note is silent - if only the rest of it was.
  • xemomimix over 10 years ago

Dance act duo Underworld have been appointed music directors for the opening ceremony of the London 2012 Olympics, organisers have announced.

Did they learn nothing from the Tiesto debacle?
  • zevulon over 10 years ago

Jazzual
    High Contrast Feat. Tiësto* & Underworld - The First Note Is Silent

That still has to be the best music that they (Underworld) has released in the last 7 years or so. I guess it's because it sounds 87% like High Contrast, and not too much U-w or Tiësto.
    I rarely use this cliche, but Underworld should have called it a day after the 100 days off semi-release.
    Going below that has just been degrading, and I haven't heard a decent tune after that. Until now. That tune is at least "I'm 15 years old in 2012 and I wanna lol the night away-happy".

xemomimix

Like, that he became a multi-millionaire in that wake?
    I guess you were thinking of artistic integrity and credability, but there's also a thing called money in ths world.
  • woofhard_one over 10 years ago

Everything fell apart when Darren Emerson left the band...
  • d3a0n3 over 10 years ago

Fuck Underworld, pop music shite

woofhard_one

There is definately some truth in this. None of the albums that came after his departure in 2000 are in the same league has what came before. They seem to have reached rock bottom creatively although I'm sure that are raking in plenty of £££.
  • cerebral over 10 years ago

d3a0n3
    Underworld, pop music

d3a0n3
    pop music shite

d3a0n3
    Fuck pop music

d3a0n3
    Fuck Underworld

^These.

Though I did like Dirty Epic a lot when I was a teenager. Its OK now.
  • 8892sales over 10 years ago

d3a0n3
    Fuck Underworld, pop music shite

• Darafayen over 10 years ago

they gone tits up
  • AlexisNembrode over 10 years ago

woofhard_one

What's he doing nowadays? "Scorchio" was decent IMO, but then he released that annoying "It just wont do" hit from Tim Deluxe on his label...kinda have this anger towards him since then.
  • TIM over 10 years ago

Darren Emerson had a few solid mixes back in earlier 90's. I have Scorchio also.

I haven't bought any Undeworld since Beacoup Fish. Was that 1997?

I recently pic up that 2xcd set up used for a fiver. For Dirty Epic track.

I do like mmm skyscraper and a few others. Ok stuff
  • TIM over 10 years ago

Lol at undieworld

I never really looked at their pics before. They look like a couple of real pricks
  • Surt over 10 years ago

Underworld never really did much for me. I always liked Rez, but even then, it only really works when it is played loud. The rest of their tracks I can easily do without.

• truly-madly over 10 years ago

truly-awful
  • metropolis over 10 years ago

Like orbital they were fun live. Saw them a few times in different settings, in a tent on Irvine beach one time which was bizarre. After the trainspotting soundtrack their audience changed znd that was me finished going to their shows. Couple of decent albums, nice to listen to, not Nothing you'd use for djing.

Heard Stuart McMillan play Rez at the end of a slam new year party many moons ago. The house lights were up but no-one left the room. Quite a nice memory.

metropolis
    After the trainspotting soundtrack their audience changed
    and were shouting lager ....etc.
  • Articuno over 10 years ago

Sure are a lot of people with Underworld in their favorites list.....

I liked Rez it's probably the only good track they made.
  • Darafayen over 10 years ago

two great albums imo - 2nd toughest and beaucoup fish

good times those were.
  • TIM over 10 years ago

TIM edited over 10 years ago
    Not many of those people visit the electronic music forum articcunto
  • jiggawhat over 10 years ago

Um Dark & Long (Dark Train) is pretty good?

Born SLIPPY is all right for the first minute or two until it sounds like some shitty hardstyle.
  • spiraltribeliverpool over 10 years ago

Dog Man Go Woof anyone?

Dubnobasswithmyheadman, Second Toughest in the Infants, Beaucoup Fish were alright. I think the first two can be considered as, like it or not, electronic music classics. In the middle there were a lot of pretty decent releases..."Dark Train", "Second Hand", "Dog man go woof"...and "born slippy (NUXX)" was, again, like it or not, a hell of a song, the full 11 minute version of it.

Oh, and if anyone hasnt heard it before, here's the first original version of "Born Slippy".
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Fr1x-N3-k8

also

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RoxYOjhWsGw&feature=relmfu
  • GENRE over 10 years ago

This is the best record Underworld never made

http://www.discogs.com/Lemon-Interupt-Dirty/release/20973

• neurp over 10 years ago

Always been shit, never liked a single thing they shat out.

To me they are in the same bracket as Chemical Brothers and the Prodigy and all that shite. Just easily accessible pop music that my little sister likes.
  • DEGASPERI over 10 years ago

• DEGASPERI over 10 years ago

i have this in my collection Underworld - Everything, Everything (Underworld Live) and it is not that bad

^I have that dvd too. And the cd (for some stupid reason got both). I think its a fairly nice live footage. They were a nice live act, specially when Darren was in too. Still watch it every now and then. I remember by the time it was released the DVD format was still news and I was like "whoaa nice sound quality and shit!".
  • xemomimix over 10 years ago

zevulon
    xemomimix

Like, that he became a multi-millionaire in that wake?
    I guess you were thinking of artistic integrity and credability, but there's also a thing called money in ths world.

No I was referring to the olympic organisers & the embarrassing sham that was Tiesto at the Greek opening ceremony.

• TIM over 10 years ago

Yeah those pics under their underworld page here are funny. I never really looked at them. Look like twits

xemomimix
    embarrassing sham that was Tiesto at the Greek opening ceremony.

LINKS!!!!!!!
  • PeeweesFunkyRecords over 10 years ago

Underworld went deep underground and changed their name to Stereo Mc's.

...which changed their names all to Boomfunk Mc's since the advent of Hardcore Sonatta style
  • TIM over 10 years ago

I guess it could be worse and be a second rate underworld like Groove Armada

To me Underworld did some amazing stuff, and then I couldn't give a toss if it's called aphex twin, lady gaga or Your Mother.

After Emerson it wasn't any good even to me, agree to that.
  • GENRE over 10 years ago

....Last seen disappearing down a tube hole at Farringdon after regretably shouting "LAGER, LAGER, LAGER" i have fond memories of the Dubnosbass and like metropolis said, brilliant energetic live shows to get off to. no further interest now tho, best to keep the memories untainted.
  • revpersona over 10 years ago

So this thread is basically a parallel to the Orbital one. Underworld had some great tunes over the years, but they didn't quite grab me as some other "popular" acts in my formative years.

That said, there's some good tracks littered around. I really enjoyed the Pearl's Girl EP. 'Mosaic' and 'Deep Arch' are those quality downtempo/ambient tunes that seem to slip through the cracks for some artists.

And I must confess that, while I haven't really listened to any Underworld since Beaucoup Fish, I did enjoy the song Crocodile.

• AEK over 10 years ago

Always had a soft spot for Dubnobass and saw them live in Feb 94 or 95, I forget which. But then I discovered decent music and real techno and never looked back. Actually haven't heard a single track they've done since 2nd toughest.
  • calipheron over 10 years ago

calipheron edited over 10 years ago
    woofhard_one

Can't agree with that. 100 Days Off was one of their best albums, less trance/techno wankery, and more guitar interludes, vocals, melodies. Very solid album.

Oblivion With Bells was overlong tedious wank by comparison.

Jazzual
    The first note is silent - if only the rest of it was.

The main problem with this song is that it is underpinned by completely and utterly generic testosterone-and-bass two-step bollocks. Karl's vocals are decent, but it's worrying that they're spending so much time collaborating and not working on material themselves.
  • TIM over 10 years ago

Even though songs like bruce lee were good weak even then, stadium techno like something like a mama or others on there i dont think i have played beaucoup fish in over a decade

letd do a prodigy thread.

calipheron
    Oblivion With Bells

the main problem with that album was the lyrics IMO. Bah.
  • TIM over 10 years ago

That's for sure. Never heard any fan of underworld say "great vocals and meaningful lyrics!!"
  • moshka-medicine over 10 years ago

my friend saw them in cophenhagen den graa hall in 99. he said they pranced around the stage like a couple of done up poncy rock stars. complete bullshit gig with wanky guitar solos and lots of power rock posing
  • fabriknos over 10 years ago

Damn I forgot how full of elitist crap Discogs is! Y'all must not have taken E and been to a festival with Underworld in 94-96. Dubnobass and Second Toughest are classic techno records. Pop music my ass. Pearl's Girl and Born Slippy would kick your ass in the right setting. Dark & Long EP is fantastic with Dark Train and Thing in Book. You techno lovers have some seriously selective memory. Too much Jeff Mills or something ;)

^eh :D

btw....anyone remembers this?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u5QRT1CbMN0
  • revpersona over 10 years ago

So, coming back to this thread to say that I listened to the Pearl's Girl EP for the first time in years this past week due to this thread. And, it's a solid release still today. Tin There is good, Cherry Pie is good (definitely better than Rowla), Pearl's Girl is still solid (especially the wind down after the vocals), Mosaic and Deep Arch (sans annoying pee pee now sample) are great.

And lastly, M.E. is still a great song even today.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cG1u3Udslqc
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7zH0kpq22s4

fabriknos
    Y'all must not have taken E and been to a festival with Underworld in 94-96

Classic.
  • TIM over 10 years ago

Lol

Some interesting
    fabriknos
    Damn I forgot how full of elitist crap Discogs is!

There is certainly some truth in that. I sometimes see that tendency in myself but I try to appreciate music for the feeling you get when you listen to it. The goosebumps effect. How many copies it sells, the image or stage shows of the artists etc is not what's important.

Underworld's first few albums cannot be dismissed as 'pop shite'. A term someone used earlier in the discussion. Those early tracks don't sound like they were made to crack the pop market unlike the current single. Maybe something most of us agree on is that talent often seems to be inversely related to sales in the music business but that does not make all popular artists shit.

• AFXFANTASAY over 10 years ago

[quote=neurp][/quote]

Agreed. Great minds think alike!
    One of the absolute worst bands ever!
  • AFXFANTASAY over 10 years ago

Hmm. that didn't work. What Neurp said!
  • sanchezac over 10 years ago

Yes, Dark & Long is amazing - still love it! I got a copy of their more recent album 'Barking' and I was pretty disappointed and their Music from Frankenstein left me cold :(
    [quote=jiggawhat][/quote]
  • fabriknos over 10 years ago

I thought Barking was pretty decent for what it was - wasn't trying to be groundbreaking or innovative, just straightforward, mixable club music. And with that simple goal I think they succeeded. Though I'll admit that it's hard to stay into certain producers who used to set the standards and are now just trying to stay relevant in a much different musical landscape.
  • DEGASPERI over 9 years ago

how good is this ? damn this is amazing
    http://youtu.be/O5vQP_RFccY
  • Nick_G over 9 years ago

Sounds pretty awful to me :-O