• spw over 4 years ago

The 700 Club had a segment on the Fed having too many laws and putting people away for silly reasons. One retired couple in Texas spent all their money on lawyers because the Fed thought they were planting illegal flowers in their garden. An old man with no criminal record had to spend two years in prison because it was easier to just plead guilty. America has the highest incarnation rate in the World putting more people in prison than any other country. Part of the problem is politicians want to show they are tough on crime so they pass more laws. There are literarily thousands of laws you can break without even knowing it and be thrown in the slammer.
  • cerebral over 4 years ago

America has the highest incarnation rate in the World putting more people in prison than any other country.

I have been told that is partly or even mostly due to harsh anti drugs laws.

There were similarly petty things to what you describe by local councils in the UK using terrorism legislation and surveillance to try catch people for doing very little.
  • kansas_commmie over 4 years ago

There was a thing a while back in the news where federal agents were going through lunches kids brought to school to make sure they were healthy enough. It's all bullshit.
  • tekkno-guy over 4 years ago

^^ I wanna see that news story. For real...
  • matthoyt over 4 years ago

I love the fact you saw that on the 700 Club.
  • tekkno-guy over 4 years ago

I think it is funny that spw is all over the 700 Club too..

I had to hunt down what kansas_commmie was talking about since he was too lazy to show us. Turns out he is correct! Since I am a kinder gentler human that he is I will give a link: http://www.naturalnews.com/034979_food_police_sack_lunches_schoolchildren.html

From a USDOJ study in the 90s:

A substantial number of drug law violators sentenced to incarceration in Bureau of Prisons custody can be classified as "low-level". Using one set of criteria which limited offenders to no current or prior violence in their records, no involvement in sophisticated criminal activity and no prior commitment, there were 16,316 Federal prisoners who could be considered low-level drug law violators. They constituted 36.1 percent of all drug law offenders in the prison system and 21.2 percent of the total sentenced Federal prison population.

If we further restricted the population to those offenders with zero criminal history points - according to U.S. Sentencing Commission rules, there were 12,727 Federal prisoners who could be considered low-level drug law violators. They constituted 28.2 percent of all drug offenders in the prison system and 16.6 percent of all sentenced prisoners.
    The average sentence of the low-level drug law offender group was 81.5 months which means that, under Guideline sentencing (must serve 85% of sentence), these individuals will serve, on average, at least 69 months before release from prison.

Even with a liberal interpretation of criminal justice contact (where criminal justice contact was defined as an arrest regardless of disposition), the majority of low-level offenders had no prior recorded contact with the criminal justice system. The data do not reflect criminal justice contacts outside the United States. Therefore, criminal justice contacts for non-citizens may be under-reported.

Based on the study sample, two-thirds of low-level drug offenders currently in the Bureau of Prisons (1994) received mandatory-minimum sentences. Even among low-level drug offenders, sentences have increased 150% above what they were prior to the implementation of Sentencing Guidelines and significant sentencing legislation which established mandatory-minimum sentences for primarily drug and weapons offenses.

Among the low-level offenders, 42.3 percent were couriers or played peripheral roles in drug trafficking.

I highly doubt that the numbers in the study have gone down...with Prisons being big business in the privatized world making sure the prisons are kept full is indeed part of the plan.

If we release all of the non violent drug offenders the country could save millions in taxes.

However...the politicians are also letting a large number of these ripoff business men off the hook for not prosecuting them for their shady white collar crimes. If these guys were prosecuted and the non violent drug offenders were allowed to be on their way then we might be at the same levels.

I agree completely that Guideline sentencing is.... Well, anti-American. Americans are supposed to be subject to trial by a jury of their peers. If that person is found guilty, the jury should have a say in the sentencing, and so should the Judge.

And don't forget that prisons are becoming increasingly privatized. Big business indeed.