• phish63 over 15 years ago

anyone?
  • getjumpin over 15 years ago

I don't think techno or electronica for that matter, gets older than this guy. He pioneered experimental music and sound sampling. as early as the end of WWII.

awesome. but is there a modern one credites as perhaps being the first?
  • getjumpin over 15 years ago

Not sure, but I think before the likes of Kraftwerk it was only "experimental electronica" w/o the ever so famous 4/4 beat. I've been wondering myself who actually coined the term "techno." My guess would be Kraftwerk since they had a fascination with technology.
  • disruptive-influence over 15 years ago

Modern Techno has to be Juan Atkins (The originator) as Cybotron

Or probably Techno as we know it today as Model 500
    I guess Cybotron was a bit more electro but definately on its way.
  • keynell over 15 years ago

i think oskar sala was the first in july, 1930.

Eveyone is trying to be too clever!
    He's talking about modern techno.

phish63
    awesome. but is there a modern one credites as perhaps being the first?

High Tech Soul is a great dvd and gives a real good account of the origins of what we know as Detroit techno.

Clip here

• TheBeatFreak over 15 years ago

i reckon Juan Atkins has some crap "techno" thing that maybe never came out..then he left that alone when he made a proper track..release worthy.

maybe the first ever Techno track has only been heard by a few people
  • WellRedd over 15 years ago

What abotu Shari Vari?
  • phrasedjs over 15 years ago

Its gotta be Alleys Of Your Mind anyone?
  • gmos over 15 years ago

The way I think of it is that Juan Atkins came up with the term techno to describe all the electronic soul music that was coming out of Detroit at the time. From that point of view I would think that Shari Vari should be considered the first. Outside of Detroit you might consider Kraftwerk. But then people argue for a more specific definition of techno based around the distinctive beats which would point more to Model 500 or maybe Nude Photo by Rhythm Is Rhythm.

High Tech Soul tells the story of how Juan was already making techno before Derrick May wanted to produce. I reckon it is definately Atkins.

..the original Techno rebel
  • sp07 over 15 years ago

who cares?

sp07
    who cares?

Me!

TheBeatFreak
    I reckon it is definately Atkins.

Definately Juan Atkins. Derrick May took it to another level though.

Felt a bit sorry for Eddie Fowlkes when I watched High Tech Soul. Never thought he got the credit he deserves.

sp07
    who cares?

what a great contribution
  • sp07 over 15 years ago

I know :)

aaaaannnnnnnddddddddd Ignore..lol what a div
  • ambrose89 over 15 years ago

coach house rhythm section- timewarp?
  • Ultravod over 15 years ago

I think to establish what is the first techno record, one must first properly differentiate between techno and electro. Certainly the blueprint for electro was laid down by Kraftwerk, IMJO, it ain't electro until it's funky, and that takes black dudes from Detroit.
    Sharevari is electro, with more than a hint of disco, as the styles for that entry correctly state.
    Alleys Of Your Mind is electro as well, possibly "experimental" but I find that term next to useless.
    For reasons that have never been, uh, clear to me, many people consider this to be the first techno track. I say bollocks, it's electro. A shining and timeless example of electronic music, but it is NOT techno.

Ultravod
    For reasons that have never been, uh, clear to me, many people consider this to be the first techno track. I say bollocks, it's electro. A shining and timeless example of electronic music, but it is NOT techno.

Agreed.
    One of the best records ever made but definately electro.
    Sharevari - also electro.

So i'm sticking with Model 500 as the first techno

yep, Clear is electro.
  • gmos over 15 years ago

But when Juan Atkins came up with the term, I very much doubt that he had such clear separations as we do today. The quote I read refers to the electronic soul music that was coming out of Detroit at the time. AFAIK, the term electro wasn't even in use when Cybotron's first tracks came out.
  • BUNKERHEADZ over 15 years ago

• factcheckr over 15 years ago

Big ups Bunk. Brilliant stuff...

i fuckin love was dog a doughnut, but you think it could be classified as techno. i guess it kinda could.
  • ultrasound over 15 years ago

This chestnut is old, but hey, I still like it. (And I'm old enough to keep schtumm when it comes up nowadays! :)
  • steady-j over 15 years ago

So if Clear is electro (I agree)
    and Alleys Of Your Mind is just too embryonic
    surely then Techno City not only has the sound but defined the name!
  • felixthadiscocat over 15 years ago

Didnt someone vote for Riot in Lagos as first techno chune?
  • TwistedStar over 15 years ago

If you ask juan he will tell you that No UFO's is the first techno track. He can be also due to the fact that the term techno came when somebody asked Juan to tell what kind of music he was doing when he released No UFO's.
  • SynthArch over 15 years ago

Ultravod
    quote selection
    I think to establish what is the first techno record, one must first properly differentiate between techno and electro. Certainly the blueprint for electro was laid down by Kraftwerk, IMJO, it ain't electro until it's funky, and that takes black dudes from Detroit.
    Sharevari is electro, with more than a hint of disco, as the styles for that entry correctly state.

Techno is Electro smartguy!
  • REALMS over 15 years ago

NOBODY invented techno. It evolved. Who was the first human? Sure nobody used electronics before alexander graham bell, tesla and the like, but that doesn't make the first guy to use tape echo or a voltage controlled oscillator the first techno artist. Granted steps in the evolution have been giant leaps in a small number of instances and that makes them great and original, but never the first.

^^I like that. Can't resist, but I'm still remaining non-partisan, I think. One interesting thing to add: I learned recently that the word 'techno' has been used in a similar way to the current context - I think mostly amongst American musos - in a way which predates the music we are referring to. 'Techno' seemed to mean (I'm told from around the '70s) any musical phrase, usually keyboard, but I believe it could also be played on a guitar too, which used unusual (for then!), probably synthesized sound, and which maybe sounded chunky, maybe had associations with sci-fi. The corollary of the type of phrase which a very early sequencer (or arpeggiator) might produce, seems compelling. Something interesting to hink about when discussing who might have coined the word or 'invented' the music.

I know, I'm too f*ffin' abstruse, innit?

If you can bear to watch the following, you can hear an example of what was - I'm told - called a 'techno' part/shape/phrase, etc in the intro and the famous bit towards the end (from near 2'25")

(Not Just)Golden Virginia

So I'm happy to say, that to me techno seems like it was a 'state of mind' long before it became a genre!

More to the point (and to be less soul-singerish/Californian about it!:) whilst it seems likely that one or more of the 90s artists we associate with the musical genre 'techno' associated the word with their music, the word looks to have been closely enough associated with *a music* already. Making it, to me, not that remarkable a thing to be the first to say 'I make techno', really.
  • gmos over 15 years ago

Interesting, 'cause there's A Derrick May interview floating around where he said Atkins came up with the term around the time of Techno! (The New Dance Sound Of Detroit). May didn't like the term, he felt it was too generic and also noted that it was a term that had been used by plenty others previously.
  • gmos over 15 years ago

here's that interview

What is techno?

The word ‘techno’ was something that Juan Atkins thought out aloud. He maybe shouldn’t have, but he did. Back then, the purpose was to capture and define this hot-red, soulfully thought out music that was coming from the black urban mind. I never wanted to call it techno, I was never interested in calling this music techno, I knew it would backfire and I knew there would be repercussions, I knew that we’d one day regret it, believe me. But it is what it is man, and we fight the fight.

Why do you say you were never interested in calling it techno?

Well, I felt that to call it techno was too generic. I also felt that techno was a term that had been partially used and could easily be discounted, as far as a real high-bred form of music was concerned, because at the time there were other people trying to call their music techno. I just wasn’t really with it.
  • sp07 over 15 years ago

TheBeatFreak
    aaaaannnnnnnddddddddd Ignore..lol what a div

What a what?

Anyway at last im gonna say something wich would actually contribute to the discussion:

http://www.discogs.com/release/536133 -> on the relics mixes there is a track called 'A Relic - Long Long Ago' by Derrick May, i know it was released in 1992 but it was produced in 86 so you could say it was one of the first 'techno' tracks. Model 500 or Cybotron is more electro IMHO, i would never label it as 'techno'. The Groove by Suburban Knight was also made in 86' but that one is more 'house' than 'techno'. There is a thin line between those genres (house/techno) back then i reckon...

gmos
    Interesting, 'cause there's A Derrick May interview floating around where he said Atkins came up with the term around the time of Techno! The New Dance Sound Of Detroit. May didn't like the term, he felt it was too generic and also noted that it was a term that had been used by plenty others previously.

This is true.
    The album was originally to be called 'The House Sound Of Detroit' but both the compilers and Juan Atkins felt the music was more than just House. So Juan Atkins came up with the term 'Techno' to distinguish the music as something other than just House music.

For anyone who has not seen 'High Tech Soul' there are some great interviews with both Juan Atkins and Derrick May plus a number of other contributors.

No Edit function?

^ so according to that you could argue that Techno only existed from 1988 when that album was released. Or may 1987 if it was compiled earlier.

disruptive-influence
    ^ so according to that you could argue that Techno only existed from 1988 when that album was released. Or may 1987 if it was compiled earlier.

Or at least Techno as we know it today.

Long live DETROIT
  • tekkno-guy over 15 years ago

First Techno record is : No UFO's

First Human : dead, so what does that comparison matter.

We were all alive(well most of us) when Juan wrote NO UFO's. He is also stil alive. Still relavent. If the guy who pretty much coined the term Techno, and had a whole album title changed because of his word (Techno! The New Dance Sound Of Detroit whas going to be House!...), then it must be.

No way around it, Juan wrote the first techno track and coined the term. Watch High Tech Soul...you'll have a clue after that.

I like you're considered, inclusive style man. I can tell that little get's past you cerebrally speaking.

Techno = Futuristic Music

High Tech Soul is something everyone should see. It's accurate and objective, like a good documentary should be. But, I don't think you could ever get Juan to say "I wrote the first ever techno song and it was No UFO's" He probably thought Kraftwerk, Yellow Magic Orchestra, P-funk, Yello, Yazoo, Universal Robot Band, or even Pink Floyd, Eno and the Silver Apples etc. sounded like futuristic music. To me, No UFO's sounds like Cosmic Cars, and cosmic cars sounds like the futuristic funk that predated it. We all draw our own arbitrary line between what techno is and isn't, but trying to convince someone else of it is like religous fundementalism.

Techno as a term been in use for a long time. The rise of the technocrat was envisioned by sci-fi writers, before before the advent of ummm. . . dancetocracy. Other people have applied it to music before Juan in '88, like say. . . these guys: http://www.discogs.com/artist/Techno+Lust
  • gmos over 15 years ago

Well Techno City was '85 wasn't it?
  • gmos over 15 years ago

No it was '84, Techno City

Shit Jeffrey! If I'd known that was you, I would not have been so sarcastic! Still, I'm surprised that you would be so 'basic' in your thinking.

In my on again and off again posting patterns...sorry to confuse. I had to do a little bit of investigating to figure out who you were. Luckily you keep you name right there on the front page of Bleep43. No worries though, mate.

Sometimes I think it is better to take the simple and straight forward approach. I know it doesn't exactly stir up conversation much, but when it comes to where Techno's (name and activity) origins lie, thats the route I take.

That movie HTS really set me straight on it, and I can't argue.

What funny is a lot of people are mentioning early synth use, but its not techno...just like The Who (who I love, and not in a pedofile way), who I think are a rock band.
  • TwistedStar over 15 years ago

REALMS
    But, I don't think you could ever get Juan to say "I wrote the first ever techno song and it was No UFO's"

I've seen and heard him say this when the reporter asked him what was the first techno song? he answered No UFO's.
    Maybe it's ego or whatever but we can give it back to him.

Wow. I guess you just can't fuck with that. No sarcasm, really, you just can't.
  • Anonymous over 15 years ago

I still think Juans Sound up until Off To Battle was an electro sound - Techno City made it onto Electro 4... and didnt sound out of place on it. For me I think Nude Photo was the one - it just didnt sound like anything else. I would also give props to Newcleus - for Computer Age - Push the Button - a 1984 release which was way ahead of its time... and Equip XXXO .... which only got a release this year from 1984.
  • letroset over 15 years ago

Don't want to go over the same ground again, but here goes my rant: there's several electro records that have "techno" in the title - Techno Scratch obviously, Techno-Trax by Man Parrish and Techno-Freqs by Junie Morrison all spring to mind, and I'm sure there's plenty more, so Techno City isn't exceptional in using the word - I thought Juan got it from that Alvin Toffler book (?). @ whoever it was above: surely Sharivari is disco rather than electro isn't it? Live drums & claps and going on about GQ and fine white wine and so on. I'd agree with Juan personally (surprise surprise) ...
  • seek over 15 years ago

letroset
    I thought Juan got it from that Alvin Toffler book (?)

Yep:
    'The Third Wave'

Humanity has passed the Third Wave, passed the Fourth Wave, and is heading for The Last Wave.
  • iamelectron over 15 years ago

disruptive-influence
    Sharevari - also electro

Get a grip! It doesn't have an electro rhythm pattern and it's way more influenced by 'imports' aka the European disco sound.

gmos has pretty much summed it up already.
  • mrnex over 15 years ago

There's always 'blurrings' in these sorts of debates - when someone starts a genre without meaning to - later on someone will always ask - who made the 1st - and people will automatically try and go back further than the genre - these are the influences - and not part of the genre. Electro, disco and european electronica were all influences on techno - but not part of that genre - Model 500/Juan Atkins is where it started.
  • iamelectron over 15 years ago

Agreed 100%
  • damnzenman over 15 years ago

While they want you to believe it was Jacobus Von Der Moetschheifferd who created techno back in 1643 in Warschau.

In reality it was Juan Atkins aka Model 500 who created Techno around 1985.
  • seek over 15 years ago

damnzenman
    In reality it was Juan Atkins aka Model 500 who created Techno around 1985.

Yeah. Right. In your reality, Juan Atkins, all by his lonesome, created Techno.

Rick Davis evidently never existed in your reality.

• needlz over 15 years ago

Pink Floyds "breathe" this was one of the first techno songs before the word techno..If your talkin first worded techno I would have to say the Bellville 3, but theres alot of people who made it before they gave it a name,but knowing that, did it exist before or did it only exist because we know now what it was? You feel me?

phish63
    do you know who the third guy in that photo is?

Tyrone Steels? Credits for 'Enter'.
  • seek over 15 years ago

phish63
    do you know who the third guy in that photo is?

The guy on the right in the photo, the white guy?
    Jon-5.

ultrasound
    Tyrone Steels?

Nope.

^^I though the guy in the middle was the bloke in question. *Of course* the guy on the right is Jon-5, it's the man in the middle who we're not sure about. He's the one I thought might be Mr Steels. I'm guessng though.
  • seek over 15 years ago

Man in the middle is Rick Davis, in costume.
  • seek over 15 years ago

Cybotron: The Cyber Lord Apocalypse Projective

The official cybotron web page!!! Galaxy ops! Ultra Tiger +++!!!
    Apocalypse is the most fun a living creature can have!
  • seek over 15 years ago

Now, the real question is,
    is Jon5 "John5"?

John5 with Marilyn Manson

John5's 'official' website

Interview with John5
    Q: "Were you raised in Los Angeles?"
    Jonh5: "No, I came from Gross Point Michigan to Los Angeles when I was 18. It was 1988."

Cybotron didnt create techno, they produced electrofunk. As for the europeans (kraftwerk, manuel gottsching, giorgo moroder etc) they produced electronic music NOT TECHNO. Weird, people cant seem to tell the difference even in the year 2007 its still confusing uninformed people.

Techno was created by Juan Atkins/Model 500, his buddy Derrick May innovated it, Saunderson brought it to the people with his funkiness. The End.
  • needlz over 15 years ago

like I said the Belleville 3 put the word to it but I think theres still stuff that can be called techno that came out earlier or wasnt called techno till the 3
  • seek over 15 years ago

damnzenman
    Cybotron didnt create techno

b.s.

Davis (aka 3070), had collected a range of different analogue sound equipment and shared with Atkins the interest in science fiction and the future theories of Alvin Toffler. Davis was considered a synthesiser expert and had just recorded an experimental record prior to meeting Atkins and starting to play together.
  • seek over 15 years ago

damnzenman
    kraftwerk...produced electronic music NOT TECHNO

More b.s.

"We are the robots."

Nuff said.

according to that interview John5 didn't get that nickname until after he joined Marilyn Manson...so I would guess, NO!
  • gmos over 15 years ago

I thought we came to some sot of conclusion in this thread but let's keep going nonetheless.....

People, people, people. Europeans have molested techno, they didnt create it. Huge difference. The End. No really. The End
  • needlz over 14 years ago

you are so right in many ways damnzenman,techno was created by African Americans"the beleville 3" period..There has always been other stuff that sounds like techno but they created what they created and called it techno in 1985 with no ufos.....anything before that is not techno period!
  • ultrasound over 14 years ago

We could go on, but what's the use?! Some academic, scholar, drawing together a lot of obscure sources, might come up with an empirical answer, which will satisfy the demands of definitive positivistic enquiry - but - would it really satisfy us heads?

And left to our own devices, would we ever agree amongst ourselves?

My answer to these two questions makes me pretty relaxed about the original question. I think it's interesting, and trying to answer it sheds a lot of light on the topic; you can potentially learn a lot of things which you didn't know. But ultimately, I think it doesn't matter. Which is good as I actually deep down don't think that an answer is possible in the direct verifiable sense.
  • ultrasound over 14 years ago

(In the end people are left with their own opinion, however right or wrong it is.)
  • efunker over 14 years ago

At least Ultrasound (and thank you for your sensitive thoughts) someone who might take an impartial, or unbiased, point of view might pick up on the crass notion that europeans 'have molested techno', especially in this day and age where such small minded generalisation breeds such negative outcomes - assumption and inference are our achillies heal eh? Video killed the radio star? Let's get real.