• HRD_Shmoo_XIII over 14 years ago

Well inadvertantly I do enjoy some Industrial music. I don't consider myself an Industrial fan or actively seek out music with the Industrial tag but I have some music that seems to fall under that tag. I've never been sure where this genre name came from or how you define Industrial music. Is it something to do with the sometimes harsh and abrasive sounds used? Is it a reference to the Industrial times of the modern world? Am I chatting bollocks?
  • cicerobuck over 14 years ago

No, you're not chatting bollacks, it's just that it's a lot of bollocks in itself to call music "Industrial" IMHO. Sadly, "Post-Industrial" makes more sense IMO, which is a tad pardoxical.
  • plaguerecordings over 14 years ago

i agree on the post-indus or worse: pseudo-indus.
    early SPK, TG, MB to name just three = essential industrial (whereas spk did some very electro-punk'ish stuff too)

check http://researchpubs.com/Blog/wp-content/uploads/wpsc/product_images/rs67full.jpg (book).
  • Alastis over 14 years ago

Alastis edited over 14 years ago
    Well, Devo used to call themselves an industrial band...

And I remember that in one TV show they used to talk about industrial sound of Judas Priest.

Not that any of those two have anything to do with industrial music as practiced by TG or SPK or what have you, but...

It was all based on places where they came from, not the music itself, I suppose (Devo were from Akron, Ohio and Priest were from Birmingham, UK, of course).
  • jmoortga over 14 years ago

HRD_Shmoo_XIII
    how you define Industrial music

music from the past. just like punk music, it only existed for a few years. it was over before it got introduced to a "bigger" audience. all the rest is post ...

Alastis
    industrial sound of Judas Priest.

first you linked priest to drone music, now you link them to industrial ... really Alastis, you make it sound as if you only need judas priest albums to discover 40 years of musical history :)
  • Barry_Crumbcheeks over 14 years ago

wild nights, hot and crazy days!

been to Ibiza during your holidays didn't you :)

edit:typo

jmoortga
    you make it sound as if you only need judas priest albums to discover 40 years of musical history

I see Rob Halford on TV all the time and he even appears in my dreams, so I guess that there's no getting away from him and his band.

Alright, cheeky bastards - laugh at me all you want, but I'm giving you this:

Voyeurs
  • Rosebud over 14 years ago

Alastis
    I see Rob Halford on TV all the time and he even appears in my dreams, so I guess that there's no getting away from him and his band.

another post like that and i'm unfollowing you on twitter. dreaming about him???

He was my father in one of those dreams.

I'm not sure how that came about, though.

Alastis
    Alright, cheeky bastards - laugh at me all you want, but I'm giving you this:

Voyeurs

Sounds horrible! Isn't he gay too? Devil's music...

Devils music, indeed.

Alastis
    He was my father in one of those dreams.

that's sick!

But not that surprising ;)

lol, insightful stuff, cheers lads ;)

cicerobuck
    it's just that it's a lot of bollocks in itself to call music "Industrial" IMHO

Yeah, does seem that way to me too tbh...

plaguerecordings
    check http://researchpubs.com/Blog/w..._images/rs67full.jpg (book).

Cheers, will have a gander.

Alastis
    It was all based on places where they came from,

Alastis
    Priest were from Birmingham, UK

Well that's the first time I've heard of Priest being called Industrial. Bit like saying Sabbath are Industrial which certainly aint the case either. I mean Birmingham was/is a very industrial city but I don't see any other connection. Much of Northern England is very industrial but far from every band from up north would get labelled Industrial. Not convinced it was about places a band came from to be honest with ya, it may be a factor but am sure it has a connection to the music as well. Are you sure it's not something to do with the use of technology which like drum machines which gives a band like say Godflesh a cold mechanical and brutal sound?

jmoortga
    music from the past

No, really?! ;D

Ok well I'm curious how the form of music known as Industrial got called Industrial in the first place, when it first emerged like....

Alastis

It was all based on places where they came from,

Aren't Skinny Puppy seen as one of THE quintessential Industrial bands but they are from Vancouver, correct? Not a very Industrial place from my limited knowledge of the place. Pretty leafy affluent middle-class city isn't it?

jmoortga
    just like punk music, it only existed for a few years.

Discharge forever!

HRD_Shmoo_XIII
    Ok well I'm curious how the form of music known as Industrial got called Industrial in the first place, when it first emerged like....

wasn't it throbbing gristle who first used the terminology 'industrial music for industrial people'. I'm sure you can find this via google/wikipedophilia but I'm too lazy to look it up. I'm heading towards the fridge now, there's a beer calling my name.

Rosebud
    I'm sure you can find this via google/wikipedophilia

Yeah probably but it's more fun this way.
  • md over 14 years ago

Rosebud
    wasn't it throbbing gristle who first used the terminology 'industrial music for industrial people'

And named their label Industrial Records.

md

Bingo!

And it says on the profile: "It gave a whole style of music it's name"

Well, there you have it then folks.

I've never heard a Throbbing Gristle tune before to be honest. Do you guys rate them?
  • md over 14 years ago

Some of their stuff, yeah. Check Throbbing Gristle - 20 Jazz Funk Greats, at least. I also like Throbbing Gristle - Heathen Earth. Have some others but can't remember what they're like.

Although it's nowhere near as significant I do like their recent album Throbbing Gristle - Part Two - The Endless Not as well.

HRD_Shmoo_XIII
    I've never heard a Throbbing Gristle tune before to be honest. Do you guys rate them?

20 jazz funk great is perhabs the most known and most accessible but lacks imho a bit of consistency. My favorites: Rafters, Heathen Earth, second annual report, DOA (third annual report), Mission of Dead Souls, CD1 (beware, it is a one-track cd so you have to sit it out in one go), Funeral in Berlin, ... . Quite hermetic mood music if you ask me. I love their stuff but I don't play it very often.

md
    I also like Throbbing Gristle - Heathen Earth.

my favourite throbbing gristle album, probably

Cheers md, Rosebud. Might give em a go sometime but not anytime soon, got plenty to be getting on with atm. I have heard of them before obviously but am I the only one who finds their name a bit off-putting? One of these bands that I've never bothered checking just because I didn't like their name. Is that weird? I've always hated biting into a piece of gristle when eating sunday roast but the idea of it throbbing as well is disgusting. No thanks.
  • Wackelpeter over 14 years ago

well throbbing gristle is industrial and it's the only industrial band in my opinion (ok maybe the cabs are the other one)
    all other's are post industrial from the 1st to the actual generation...
    and to be correct they got the name industrial muisc from conversation with monte cazazza who wrote in a letter "industrial music for industrial people"
    and the term industrial music can be used to describe sounds a long time before tg entered the arena but not as style, as there are many sounds that sound industrial... like machines working

other great post industrial bands worth to mention are:
    nocturnal emissions up to befehlsnotstand lp some of the later releases are good too
    -lustmord 1st lp
    -most m.b. stuff from the early 80's especially mectpyo bacterium is my favourite of them
    -spk until leichenschrei afterwards it's getting shitty as hell
    -first whitehouse lp is great but bennet still a cunt ;o)
    -NON the the most records until blood&flame are classics...
    -later on the 2nd, 3rd and 4th wave of post industrial there came a few good records and bands and with beginning of the 90's most new bands where boring
  • zeronine over 14 years ago

To me, the 1st LP by Einstürzende Neubauten (Kollaps) is the archetype of industrial sound, jackhammer solo and drill chorus... lovely

Wackelpeter
    well throbbing gristle is industrial and it's the only industrial band in my opinion

I concur

HRD_Shmoo_XIII

Very important historical value. Overrated musicto stay polite. CCarter and PChristopherson wer th ereal musicians of this combo, as they would later prove in their respective projects. Anyone has any info on the actual input of Cosey ?

md

pierre schaeffer (and other early "concrete'ers") used industrial sounds/recordings too... just FI.

cicerobuck
    Anyone has any info on the actual input of Cosey ?

the cornet to name just one ...

What about "Metal Machine Music" by Lou Reed?

Many say that it was the precursor to much of industrial/noise stuff, while others saw it as a joke.

So?

It just happened so that at the moment I'm reading Lester Bangs biography and he was one of the people who championed Reed and VU.

He actually was one of the few people who, at the time when MMM came out, called it a masterpiece.

Wackelpeter
    nocturnal emissions up to befehlsnotstand lp some of the later releases are good too

i've just been digging into these more.... i like them, i like their ideas, i like thier music. nigel ayers seems a good guy. idealist hippy politics with industrial/avant methods. good stuff! i remember loads of their albums in the local record exchange years ago but for some reason i had them pegged as something completely different, should have got em.... oh well!
    i just bought this: http://www.discogs.com/Caroline-K-Now-Wait-For-Last-Year/release/2112258 last month, and have been enjoying it very much.

Caroline K's album is awesome!

Nocturnal Emmissions ... hmmmm ... hits & misses actually.

I like Maurizio Bianchi's first albums - dark, nihilistic sculptures of a post-human world.
    Recommended: Mectpyo Bakterium, Neuro Habitat, Regel, Das Testament, The Plain Truth (my favourite).

^^ his 2 boxsets (5xCD) are all u need. rest of his work is 'balast' imo.

http://www.discogs.com/lists/The-essential-Industrial-Music-1976-1989/520
    above list is reliable to start with.

plaguerecordings
    ^^ his 2 boxsets (5xCD) are all u need. rest of his work is 'balast' imo.

partially agree with that... as some of his other early tape releases are quite good too and 2-3 of his newer recordings are in the same way of the old m.b. stuff, especially that with siegmar fricke called endosomewhat forgot the name...

jmoortga
    Nocturnal Emmissions ... hmmmm ... hits & misses actually.

with the firt 3 records you can't going wrong... they're classic

btw. seems as if i haven'T listened to this kind of music for more than 2 years... except some of my new bco purchases...
    whilst writing about bco here are 2 links for a radioshow with a few mp3 and some of them quite cool stuff... especially the legendary pink dots cover kitto, there will soft rain come, fly in the ointment and ode to spot... check the thrilling, extraordinary, mind blowing tunes of these crazy guys and girls...

http://blog.wfmu.org/freeform/2010/01/big-city-orchestras-30th-anniversary-part-one-of-two.html
    http://blog.wfmu.org/freeform/2010/01/big-city-orchestras-30th-anniversary-part-two-of-two.html

p.s. maybe not the right topic to post this but i think as i was reffering aa bit about bco this kind of curious media... if you'll haveto change your answering machine message than maybe use this one
    http://blog.wfmu.org/freeform/2010/05/radio-shack-answering-machine-messages.html

i'll go for the 2nd one...
  • KWOCR over 14 years ago

KWOCR edited over 14 years ago
    I like a lot of stuff from Boston's جن John Zewizz and he's to me the first which comes to mind to me in days of frenulum tear contemplation,
    Nigel Ayers has been early in the field as well but it's probably more for semen collectors.
    Back to Throbbing Gristle, Funeral In Berlin is a non legit release but a great live imo.

I dislike it a bit when peoples name any EBM or derived EBM (so-called 'Future Pop' as well as any sort of Hard-Elektro-Metal-Core'somethingelse') type of music as Industrial, if so I feel to define genuine Industrial as Arkeasonic in contrast to such misunderstanding.

(Early/Genuine) Industrial is closer in sonic architecture to what is today tagged as Dark Ambient and as plaguerecordings justly pointed Musique Concrète than any Nitzer Ebb missed clones such as VNV Nation and Co. The amalgamation or lack of distinction of these two different styles (Insustrial vs EBM) is often a rivethead US thing but on a crossover trip we could point at Clock DVA as a unique early 'Industrial Jazz' combo and the Californian formation Chrome (8) which is to me one of the most talented Industrial Space-Garage-Rock crossoved duo.

As for source on the conceptual level we could go back as far as 1913 with Luigi Russolo essay "The Art of Noises" and for term coining to Monte Cazazza. The BBC Four documentary film 'Synth Britannia', although more about British Cold Wave / Blitz music / 80's Electronica, has a little passage were Chris & Cosey interviewed gave a description of their approach at the time.

Hope it helps you a bit HRD_Shmoo_XIII

On a side note I still wonder how the WT7 tower collapsed down so 'on its own'…

Alastis edited over 14 years ago
    Apparently, Buzz from Melvins is a big fan of Throbbing Gristle / early industrial stuff (Melvins also did a track for TG tribute).

Its interesting too, because it appears that he doesn't like much of rock music - at least from what I read and heard.

throbbing gristle's highlights and best albums to start with are:

2nd annual report
    d.o.a.
    20 jazz funk greats
    heathen earth
    funeral in berlin (is a good live album of course)
    assume power focus
    thee psychick sacrifice
    very friendly
    live from the death factory
    and the 4cd live box from the grey area

most other bootlegs/records mostly suffer from lousy sound quality, lush material or just have the 20th live versions of songs that could be found on the albums listed above...
    most fo them you're still able to get for reasonable prices and they give you the best overview of tg's work...
    i would suggest you to start with something like the 4cd live box as i think tg is at it's best in live recordings...

and at least you'll should grab for sure a release with hamburger lady on it... as it's if you would ask me (and many others would agree i'm sure) is the best song tg ever did... such an eerie atsmosphere... when you first listen to it you will feel what i mean...

Alastis
    Its interesting too, because it appears that he doesn't like much of rock music - at least from what I read and heard.

then he has something in common with me as i don't like most of melvins stuff ;o)
  • KWOCR over 14 years ago

On a side note The Beatnigs, although not indus in its purest form, could be remembered to have melt the found or metal instruments approach of early Einstürzende Neubauten with some sort of radical poetry, straigth edge punk and concious proto hip-hop … A little video
  • Disctorsion over 14 years ago

In the 90s as I remember, the term got applied to that rivethead oriented metal, all palm-mute riffs and sinister movie samples.

My personal favourite from that ilk being the first Peace, Love And Pitbulls album.