• jmoortga over 14 years ago

Somewhere in 1996~1997 Pitchshifter turned into an MTV-sponsored boyz band, but before that transition, they did release 2 great albums (Pitch Shifter* - Industrial + Pitch Shifter* - "desensitized") and 1 EP (Pitch Shifter* - Submit).

Had a listen to Submit this morning in my car - what a sound!

Must have seen them live about a dozen times between 1992 and 1995. Great concerts!

Other thoughts?
  • plaguerecordings over 14 years ago

I only had Pitch Shifter* - Industrial and Pitch Shifter* - Submit. But for some reason rarely played them (there was so much better stuff coming out back then).
    Pls bring along the CD's next time. Curious to re-listen.
  • cicerobuck over 14 years ago

jmoortga
    Somewhere in 1996~1997 Pitchshifter turned into an MTV-sponsored boyz band

Hahahahaha!

Indeeeeeeeeeed

Don't remember their original sound... Had Submit, but... Loophole!

cicerobuck
    Don't remember their original sound

So you still remember their boyz sound?! Djeez ... :-)

During one of the live gigs (Twieoo in Gent) I ended up on stage (well actually, I was "thrown" on the stage by a mate) and the singer gave me his mic for me to do the vox part ... not too sure what happened that evening ... woke up the next day with one of the biggest hangovers ever (one in the category "I'm dying over here!!!!!"), bruised ribs and a black eye - so probably it was a great evening!

Sounds like a boyz eevening ;)
  • Alastis over 14 years ago

I think that they were considered to be Godflesh jr. early on in their career...

Funny thing is that Godflesh themselves went that same sort of electronic route in the late 90s and I was disapointed with the results.
  • TheMiserablist over 14 years ago

Alastis
    I think that they were considered to be Godflesh jr. early on in their career...

funny, in the early 90's i bought and immediately sold 2 Pitchshifter album/ep because i felt they were a shit version of Ministry...couple of years later Ministry were even worse than Pitchshifter. another horrible band hyped at the time was Prong... any of you guys into White Zombie? hahaha.

Yeah, Prong were kinda...um...interesting. I like some of their stuff, but at times it just sounds way too repetitive, like they didn't wanted to put too many ideas into one song (afraid that someone might steal them, perhaps?)

And isn't it said that White Zombie played noise rock early on? I mean - I had a whole thread about it right here, but nobody came forward to confirm whether it was true or not.

Also - some claimed that Rob Zombie stole his image from Al Jourgensen.

Blablabla... Prong and White Zombie were teen angst noise boyz bandz all along. Not worth a penny.

Never got into white zombie. I still play these ones regularly.
    Prong - Force Fed
    Prong - Primitive Origins
    Prong - Beg To Differ
    Prong - The Peel Sessions

Saw them live in 1990. Great.
    Lost interest in full as from Prong - Prove You Wrong.

cicerobuck
    Prong were teen angst noise boyz bandz all along. Not worth a penny.

A bit like NWW nowadays u mean?

Hahaha!!! Exactly ;)

What was the name of that prong like Killing joke offshoot again?

plaguerecordings edited over 14 years ago
    ^^ no idea. only have Killing Joke - Killing Joke.

Murder Inc. !!!

Alastis
    White Zombie played noise rock early on?

if by Noise Rock you mean making noise with a pile of rocks then yeah, pretty close to that description and they blamed Bill Laswells lack of production value as to why "Make Them Die Slowly" was such a horrible album.

cicerobuck
    Prong and White Zombie were teen angst noise boyz bandz all along. Not worth a penny.

i agree but i suppose the same can be said of any seemingly aggressive band, i still listen to Skinny Puppy and receive "shouldn't you have moved on by now?" looks of disapproval.

plaguerecordings
    A bit like NWW nowadays u mean?

hahaha expect an e-mail from Franz De Byl asking if you'll be his new best friend.

cicerobuck
    Murder Inc. !!!

no shit? i didn't know Murder Inc was Prong and Killing Joke. i bought both their recordings at the same time and chucked them at my wall after one listen, i still like early Killing Joke. someone in Prong was also in Revolting Cocks no?
  • Rosebud over 14 years ago

Alastis

yeah, that's what was often said. Nevertheless their debut is more metal/uptempo/brutal than Godflesh. So for me, inspired by Godflesh? Yes but not blindly following them. The debut still stands. I like the primitive/brutal power of it. The track with the samples from 'the killing of america' works very good. Had good fun during their early shows. Saw them on a festival later when all the magic was gone and the only thing that seemed important was their outfit/stage poses. It was something that was important from early on. I know that the singer did exercises before a gig - look at my muscles! But, a lot of artists do crazy shit before they go up on stage or act ridiculous in front of the mirror (is my hair ok? do I look like I don't care?)

speaking of 'metal-ish' bands with a drumcomputer. Anyone remembers Dogpile? Canadian dudes, saw them a few times. The looked like they hated the world, no thank-you for coming shit, no encores, no contact with the audience, no laughs. Just short sets of violent guitars and hate. I loved it. Saw them once when they did an encore. Friends of mine were heavily disappointed :-)

plaguerecordings edited over 14 years ago
    Rosebud
    Anyone remembers Dogpile?

it's years i try to forget them, haha. i strongly disliked this metal/drumcomputer stuff. peaceville did a couple of very-wrong'ish projects, like tekton motor corp.

anyone who wants Dogpile - Live Butt Plugged for FREE pm me. same-same for:
    DHI (Death And Horror Inc)* - Pressures Collide
    Deathless - Anhedonia
    Deathless - Nondeathless.
    p&p for you, will omit jewelcases. they are rotting in my basement.

OK... I'm off listening to the first 3 Fudge Tunnel records right now!
  • HRD_Shmoo_XIII over 14 years ago

Pitchshifter were pretty bad I thought and after Desensitized they were utter shite!

Have to disagree with the negative comments about Prong too. Very good band IMO and not teen angsty at all, more grown-up angsty actually. One of the realer and more intelligent metal bands around I think and Ted Parsons was a great drummer! I like everything up to and including Rude Awakaening. Class!

plaguerecordings
    Lost interest in full as from Prong - Prove You Wrong.

You're nuts mate, that's a wicked album!

TheMiserablist
    a shit version of Ministry

strongly disagree. Early Pitch Shifter sound was much closer to Swans/Godflesh than Ministry.

plaguerecordings
    Prong - Force Fed
    Prong - Primitive Origins

after these two, rest is average/awful.

plaguerecordings
    Saw them live in 1990. Great.

Vaartkapoen? Might be that was in 1988 or 1989. Still a great show.

cicerobuck
    Murder Inc. !!!

awful!

Rosebud
    is my hair ok? do I look like I don't care?

your weekly ritual before leaving your house to go to the local pub, is it :)

Rosebud
    Anyone remembers Dogpile?

Live gigs were much better than albums.

Anyone remembers Sonic Violence?

cicerobuck
    I'm off listening to the first 3 Fudge Tunnel records

LOL - they only released 3 albums :)

jmoortga

LOL - they only released 3 albums :)

Well, as I have the Sweet Sound of Excess EP, I didn't count the awefull "The Complicated Futility Of Ignorance" ;)

jmoortga
    Murder Inc. !!! : awful!

Indeed!

cicerobuck
    the Sweet Sound of Excess EP,

together with the first 7" included in Fudgecake - awesome release!

cicerobuck
    The Complicated Futility Of Ignorance

Not their best I agree (best FT album without a doubt is "Hate Songs In E Minor"), but not that bad either.

I love Creep Diets! Maybe a tad more "commercial", but sooo effective.

HRD_Shmoo_XIII
    You're nuts mate, that's a wicked album!

tried it but never worked. beg to differ, there the story ends. same with primus (completely different). it stops after seas of cheese (for me).
    jmoortga
    Vaartkapoen? Might be that was in 1988 or 1989. Still a great show.

nope. demo.
    jmoortga
    Anyone remembers Sonic Violence?

1 word: hahahahhhahaha...

plaguerecordings
    same with primus (completely different). it stops after seas of cheese (for me).

mmm, disagree, ''Pork Soda" is my favorite. Have you heard his solowork? Nice, 'of whales and woe' is superb!

solowork yes. had 2 of them frog CD's. played once. then left building. i am on a mission (last 14 years) to only keep what i play (at least) once 2-weekly. u know...
    ps. and i don't know pork soda too well. as said, lost interest after cheese. bring it when we go fishing, haha.

plaguerecordings
    1 word: hahahahhhahaha...

that's not a word :)

Sonic Violence live-gig was great (opened for Dogpile if memory serves me well ... Rosebud, you were there, 1992/3, Nijdrop ... probably enjoying your 17th beer, but you might remember a few things from that evening) -

albums sound (very) out-dated nowadays.

Cable Regime maybe? - just had a listen to Life In The House Of The Enemy and it aged better than I thought it would have.

plaguerecordings
    tried it but never worked.

Fair enough. Had a listen to my Prong CDs after this thread and I can understand why some may not like the later stuff like Cleansing and Rude Awakening. A few good tunes on 'em but not great albums. Prove You Wrong is their last great one for me.

Had a listen to my Pitchshifter CDs as well, got the Submit EP and Industrial. Like them a lot actually, fierce stuff! Remember thinking at the time they were too much of a Godflesh clone but regardless of that these CDs do kick effin arse.

jmoortga
    probably enjoying your 17th beer, but you might remember a few things from that evening) -

was that the night he kissed with tsjoeleboele ?

Oh btw before I forget again - another big Fudge Tunnel fan here!! Agree Hate Songs is their best followed by Creep Diets. The Teeth EP is also great.

I liked that Nailbomb album too, still do actually...

plaguerecordings

jmoortga
    probably enjoying your 17th beer, but you might remember a few things from that evening) -

was that the night he kissed with tsjoeleboele ?

what the hell? true that i don't remember everything from those days but if I somehow kissed somebody (or something) I think I would remember 'cause that would be like ... highly exceptional for a sad pathetic wanker like me!

Rosebud
    i don't remember everything from those days

we should write a book

plaguerecordings
    tsjoeleboele

the legend from Gent :)
  • Barry_Crumbcheeks over 14 years ago

what a lot of people don't realise is if that you listen to british steel by judas priest you'll find a virtual blueprint for the ptchshifter sound.

I didn't said that!
  • Barry_Crumbcheeks over 14 years ago

:D

Watch out:

Voyeurs

jmoortga

plaguerecordings
    tsjoeleboele

the legend from Gent :)

intriguing ... in a sick way i think.
  • md over 14 years ago

I remember hearing an early Pitchshifter track on John Peel's show way back when. I guess it was from "Industrial". Just downloaded, listened to and deleted that album. It's very Godflesh-esque. I'd go as far as calling it a blatant rip-off, although not nearly as good. Never followed them or realised they somehow became famous for anything.

Thinking about this has suddenly put me in mind of Cable Regime, a band I once saw supporting Godflesh (Fudge Tunnel, also mentioned in this thread, played the same gig, and I also once saw them supporting God). Anyone familiar with Cable Regime? I can't really remember what they sounded like.

I kinda liked them. Never bought a record though... Also saw them live and they were good, maybe not as good on records, can't remember

jmoortga
    Cable Regime maybe? - just had a listen to Life In The House Of The Enemy and it aged better than I thought it would have.

• cinquante_neuf over 14 years ago

jmoortga
    Pitchshifter turned into an MTV-sponsored boyz band

that was my impression of them, will have to check the earlier stuff...
  • cinquante_neuf over 14 years ago

plaguerecordings
    anyone who wants Dogpile - Live Butt Plugged for FREE pm me. same-same for:
    DHI (Death And Horror Inc)* - Pressures Collide
    Deathless - Anhedonia
    Deathless - Nondeathless.
    p&p for you, will omit jewelcases. they are rotting in my basement.

too late for this?

would happily pay P+P and send a couple of dupes...

md
    Just downloaded, listened to and deleted that album.

i did the same, downloaded and deleted the first 2 albums and the first e.p. thought maybe my opinion would have changed over time...nope, calling them mediocre is too large a compliment, i'll just stick with Godflesh.

also checked out Dogpile, eh.

i notice no one mentioned Treponem Pal, the first 2 albums are pretty decent imo.

I thought that "Excess And Overdrive" album was pretty good - somebody compared them to a French version of Young Gods with this album.

Lyrics on E&D don't always make sense, but I guess that since they're from France this shouldn't be a problem.

Also, I'm not a big of them, but did anybody mentioned Front 242?

Alastis
    did anybody mentioned Front 242?

err ... no but why should we?