• AFXFANTASAY over 6 years ago

Hi. New to Soundcloud. Upon my first upload, it took an hour from the time of upload to the time it finished "creating waveform". Then I uploaded 3 tracks at once to a set and it has taken over 2 hours and is not finished rendering, "creating waveform" yet! What is your experience with wait times? This can't be right! I am at work and have a shit computer and crappy network connection. That's got to be it, yeah? Otherwise, hardly seems convenient.
    Please Advise!
  • Surt over 6 years ago

Hullo generation y!

gen x actually.
  • Surt over 6 years ago

Then find something else to do and quit whining! :P

(Sorry, my hangover is making me be a cunt.)
  • doors over 6 years ago

some days they are slower..

but I noticed that when the recording has very high or very low frequencies it takes longer.
  • d3a0n3 over 6 years ago

I had the same sort of problems uploading a mix the other day, it would get to 99% uploaded or finishing status and then just freeze, when it finally uploaded properly it did it fairly quickly but then took ages rendering the waveform
  • bedhed3000 over 6 years ago

Probably not a problem on your end. They have a message up right now when you log in. Looks like they are having some issues and are working on it.

Hey Surt, fuck off! Find something else to do if you aren't going to be of help. Cunt, confirmed.
    And cheers Dan, I am figuring it's the shit computer and connection. So I take it this is now your preferred place for music sharing?

At the moment yes, I have use of someone's webspace for uploading but for some reason at the moment I can upload things but nothing new can be downloaded just stuff that is already there, can't change the prioritie.
    Soundcloud looks OK, not investigated it fully.
    Hi BTW, hope you're well!

I swear there was a message on the homepage apologizing for the slow upload speeds, but it's gone now. Oh well..

And thanks bedhed :)

Word. What's your soundcloud page? d3a0n3 too.
    I'm: http://soundcloud.com/bedhed3000

I'd like to follow as many discogs heads as possible.

Mine's BMd3.
  • vinyl_junkie07 over 6 years ago

• doors over 6 years ago

• Surt over 6 years ago

AFXFANTASAY
    Hey Surt, fuck off! Find something else to do if you aren't going to be of help. Cunt, confirmed.

What did you want? Someone to hold your hand while it creates the waveform?

AFXFANTASAY
    What is your experience with wait times?

That's all I was asking for ya fuck.
  • Surt over 6 years ago

Seems like a fairly trivial matter to get your knickers in a knot over.
  • ijonny over 6 years ago

Surt

Yeah because everyone has the same skill set as you. Thankfully not everyone is as big a cunt.
  • spyder909 over 6 years ago

@Afxfantasay, pls let me know if your upload times improve....I've considered using Soundcloud but have heard mix reviews about it...
  • fabriknos over 6 years ago

yeah i'm interested in it as well, what does it offer really that other file hosting sites do not?
  • cthulhu303 over 6 years ago

No wait times and real time playback without downloading. Otoh, you can't upload more than 2 hours. Useless, really.

cthulhu303
    Otoh, you can't upload more than 2 hours.

I'm pretty sure it's 5 hours.

fabriknos
    yeah i'm interested in it as well, what does it offer really that other file hosting sites do not?

I like that you can easily embed the player (which looks pretty slick) on a blog or fakebook or myspazz with your track or an entire set. Also, the timed comment thing is really cool, especially for DJ mixes.

That said, nothing really beats having your own site. If I wasn't so lazy/busy, I would create my own site with Wordpress. Soundcloud will have to do for now. http://bandcamp.com/ is pretty cool too, especially if you are trying to sell your music. Plus you can forward your own domain name.

Oh hey, I just posted a new track this evening. I hope you listen/like.

I'm following everyone that posted their page on here. Community fuck yeah!

I'm naked already.

That makes four of us.
  • DEGASPERI over 6 years ago

Surt

The only thing that got my knickers in a knot was you, asshole.
    This is the music tech forum, where people can seek advice. That's all I was doing. Simply asking about other's experiences.
    ijonny
    Yeah because everyone has the same skill set as you. Thankfully not everyone is as big a cunt.

Why thank you Johnny for seconding that Surt is a cunt! ;)

This question had nothing to do with skill sets, only wait times!
    And everyone else who enquired, It was my network connection at work that was the issue. Upload speeds are relatively quick! Soundcloud is pretty awesome. It offers all sorts of features that other hosting sites do not, too many to list, I'd say go to their site to view a quick demo.

bedhed3000
    cthulhu303
    Otoh, you can't upload more than 2 hours.

I'm pretty sure it's 5 hours.

It's 2 hours with the free account, the ones you pay for offer more time, 29 euros gets you 4 hours worth for the year, unlimited costs 59 euros a month or 500 euros for the year.

d3a0n3
    It's 2 hours with the free account, the ones you pay for offer more time, 29 euros gets you 4 hours worth for the year, unlimited costs 59 euros a month or 500 euros for the year.

That's strange because I have over 4 hours of mixes and about a half hour of original tracks and my acct is free. Perhaps US users get more time?
  • Surt over 6 years ago

I've only got 2 hours, but they probably give me less because I'm a cunt ;)

Surt
    they probably give me less because I'm a cunt ;)

Not just a cunt but also an upside down koala felching degenerate Aussie cunt :P

DEGASPERI edited over 6 years ago
    you cunt you cunt CUUUUUUUUUUNT

DEGASPERI edited over 6 years ago
    nuts
  • fabriknos over 6 years ago

wait a minute 2 hours in total storage or 2 hours per upload?

Total storage. That's just one mix.

Shoot! We're sorry but you've used almost all 5 hrs that come with your free account. If you upload a track with more than 19 mins some of your old tracks will be hidden.

This is what I see when I go to upload a new track. Maybe it's because I've had an account for a really long time. Who knows?
    fabriknos, did you create an account yet? I'd like to know if it is a U.S. thing.

Curious too. I felt cheated right after I uploaded my first mix.
  • dexterfeng over 6 years ago

Uh oh. Some people are going to be fussy.
    According to what I've seen as an American, I've got like 14 hours on the free end.

I spose since we're sharing links
    http://soundcloud.com/m-earth

dexterfeng
    I've got like 14 hours on the free end.

What the hell? I think it might depend on when you opened your account.
  • ultrasound over 6 years ago

bedhed3000
    I've got like 14 hours on the free end.

That's gotta be wrong, I think. Everyone gets just 2 hours free.

Remember Sound Cloud bandwidth allowance is not dependent on the amount of gigabytes used, but rather on time.

Also, file sizes can be as large as you want per file [i.e. you can upload a file in any quality from the lowest mp3 to the highest WAV/AIF].

Once you've used up your 2 hours, you can either buy more time with one of the paid-for accounts, or delete items until you have some time available and then upload new items.

I think SC is fantastic really and I don't really mind the slow upload times - in fact I can well understand why they exist, with probably many people trying to upload tracks in high quality.

I think it's worth the waiting times, personally.

ultrasound
    Everyone gets just 2 hours free.

Yeah, but the thing is, I have 5 hours. dexterfeng has 14.
    Hmmmmmmmmmmmmm????????????????????
  • Lostsignol over 6 years ago

Mine is free and I have at least 8 hours up now. Signed up in august. I haven't tried uploading anything recently though.
  • crazyowen over 6 years ago

ultrasound
    reminds me of an ex-girlfriend of mine that was very skilled in the bedroom... shame I didnt know about her "other" job.

yah SC is great, lots of great mixes on there from discogs users and such a good way to share music, it adds a new dimension to visualizing the comments people leave. easy to use interface too. I need to get some of my stuff on there, havent bothered to yet.

crazyowen
    reminds me of an ex-girlfriend of mine that was very skilled in the bedroom... shame I didnt know about her "other" job.

LOL
  • cypherism over 6 years ago

crazyowen

Total time or per fook !
  • ultrasound over 6 years ago

Yeah, I realize now that SC seemed to give out a lot of promo packages to early adopters. I could be one of the few here who actually only has 2 hours. Harrumph!
  • cinquante_neuf over 6 years ago

I think people who sign up for the RPM Challenge get until the end of March free as a premium account.