• steady-j over 7 years ago

OK, the year is 1989, Frankie Bones and Lennie Dee produce the Looney Tunes EP including a track called "Another Place, Another Time".

1990: The pulsating bassline and techno strings are subsequently used on the track "techno trance" by D-shake, (the B-side to "Yaaaah".)
    Also gets reused by Genaside II (can't remember whether it was on Motiv or Alchemist/Kamikazee).

So my question is, was that pulsating bassline and techno strings created by Bones and Dee or did they sample it, and if so where from? I suspect the latter and I recall having a feeling at the time that I recognized it, but the bit I have forgotten is where I recognized it from. (20 years on and my brain is getting fuzzier)

Anyone got any ideas. Frankie maybe you can help?
  • BUNKERHEADZ over 7 years ago

BUNKERHEADZ edited over 7 years ago
    alex_cortiz@hotmail.com

that's D-Shake's email, I mailed with him in the past and he will deffo reply.

Very relaxed guy.

Good luck :)

I shall point out this thread to Bones.

edit - Genaside II - Death Of The Kamikazee is the one that uses the same sample ;)
  • djfrankiebones over 7 years ago

Another Place, Another time -

Vocal sample - "Security" - The Beat Club.
    Strings - "Rock To The Beat" - Reese & Santonio

Gated to a TR-909 to give it that open/close effect.
  • djfrankiebones over 7 years ago

The whole concept of Looney Tunes was to build entire tracks off of samples & a Roland drum machine. On Looney Tunes II we got a bit more creative actually composing tracks, yet the first volume will
    always be more popular.

Cheerz Bones :)

and wasnt there a Pink Floyd sample as well, from the Dark Side LP?

Damn! Thanks guys.

It's been bugging me, because I was doing a mix the other week and you know what I was there all the time.

I was on some Reese tracks and I mixed Rock To the beat into D-Shake, thinking it was similar but being convinced it was wrong. And from there I mixed into "Another Place" having already made the link there from D-Shake to that.

So I checked the tracks again just now , and if I put RTTB with Looney Tunes of course they are right there! Bones had gated the Reese & Santonio sample to give it that feel, but the pulsing bassline was actually added by D-Shake,

This is great stuff. Thanks again. This was such an important period in music for me (about 86 - 91) and I've just in the last few weeks realised I have to relive some of those musical moments to keep touch with what was what, and what came first, samples and idea-wise, before the memories fade!

PS I'll be posting that mix in the mixes forum so please check it out. Frankie there was rather a lot of your stuff in there as it turns out!

PPS Think the Floyd Sample was on Looney Tunes 2 - The Watchtower

Upload is taking forever so mix post will be in about 24 hours from now.

steady-j
    PPS Think the Floyd Sample was on Looney Tunes 2 - The Watchtower

and D-Shake used it as well for one of his aka's, will get back on it later on.

will check the mix, ta :)