• mjb over 7 years ago

I had really good luck scanning a 12"x12" album cover on my barely-over-letter-size scanner. I scanned multiple overlapping quadrants (six for the front, four for the back), and saved them as ordinary LZW-compressed TIFFs. Instead of painstakingly rotating and stitching them together and adjusting for brightness variations in Photoshop, I just dragged and dropped the files into Microsoft Image Composite Editor, which is free panorama software for Windows. It put them together perfectly. I cropped it there, exported as TIFF, and loaded it back into Photoshop so I could crop it to 600px wide, Save For Web (JPEG) / Optimize to File Size 299K, to get the best resolution allowable on Discogs. Results can be seen here (click).

I had tried other panorama software a few years ago, but never got results like this.
  • tosmcgee over 7 years ago

Y really good
  • tosmcgee over 7 years ago

Y really good
  • Dads_Vinyl over 7 years ago

mjb, Thanks for the post on this. I was having problems and poor images. I just downloaded, The Microsoft Image Composite Editor, and used for the first time. WOW. Very impressive.
  • punxtr over 7 years ago

Awesome! Utterly awesome! Thanks!
  • kompaktkiste over 7 years ago

hi m, thanks mucho, excellent tip there!
    i was quite happy with autostitch so far,
    never used it for my scans yet though.

but this ice is more convenient, esp. with drag&drop, and exact cropping.

and there's a 64bit version too,
    finally a useful thing that takes advantage of the four xeon cores + the 12gigs (i hope... ;-)
    cheers, wolf.
  • okeydokey over 6 years ago

hi i've downloaded The Microsoft Image Composite Editor, and when i tried to install there was a message that said NET framework needs to be downloaded and installed before i can install The Microsoft Image Composite Editor, so i did...

took 90 minutes and messed-up my pc!!! it got very slow and CPU was constant 100% busy!!!
    anyone with the same problems?
  • kompaktkiste over 6 years ago

hm, no issues here.
    smooth installation + handling both with 32 and 64bit versions.
  • double-happiness over 6 years ago

Woah! Nice soft!

It is worth mentioning that as far as I can see you have to drag and drop multiple images into it, you can't add them one at a time for it to work, I think?

Good results though, thanks for the tip mjb
  • double-happiness over 6 years ago

A tip on ICE for what it's worth, Planar Motion 1 seems to be the best stitch setting for LP covers, I'm setting the JPEG export quality to 95% too, I think the deafult setting of 80% discards too much image quality... Thanks again mjb, cracking prog...
  • SeRKeT over 6 years ago

nice one mjb, i just tested this out on two images that make an LP cover, all i had to do was drag them both and it made them a perfect 1 image, unfekinbelievable, thx again as this is gonna save me some time :)

double-happiness
    I'm setting the JPEG export quality to 95%

i am using 100% then opening with gimp and compressing for any final adjustments then making sure its 600x600 or below for discogs
  • PabloPlato over 6 years ago

mjb
    Results can be seen here (click).

wow! thats fantastic, i can't tell (or believe) that it was made of 6 separate images!
    hmmm...maybe i will start scanning sleeves instead of photographing them...? :)
  • SeRKeT over 6 years ago

PabloPlato
    .maybe i will start scanning sleeves instead of photographing them

that is all i been doing since i discovered that ICE App, a couple of times i have had to rotate the pictures as the app cannot seem to stitch the files together if there is too much blank space on the sleeve ,and sometimes i have to trim the edges or paste a little to even them up but i should not really complain as it does a fantastic job in a few seconds :)
  • hermanito over 6 years ago

OMG! This is the most amazing, easy to use product Microsoft has ever made IMO. :-D
    Tried it and my first result is to be found here
    You don't have to do anything. Just drag the files in the screen et voilá!
    Really nice little proggie here to stay.
  • igzivkov over 6 years ago

I think it's the only product from Microsoft I would pay for. :-)
  • mjb over 6 years ago

I've been having problems getting it to stitch together scans that contain a lot of text. Sometimes it does OK but other times I have to work on it a bit. I wonder if it has to do with my scanner's high sensitivity to dust.

hermanito
    Tried it and my first result is to be found here

Heh, the nice thing about that particular cover is that even if there are some seams, you'd never notice :)
  • narcoticevil over 6 years ago

i really cant seem to be able to do this. Using again a simple just over A4 size scanner, with this ICE software....it just cant seem to stitch it together. I cant do it myself really on fireworks either.

It doesnt seem to work very well on LPs with photographs on them maybe.
  • igzivkov over 6 years ago

narcoticevil
    i really cant seem to be able to do this.

how many scans do you make? i start from upper left corner then upper middle part and upper right corner. after that i flip the lp sleeve and repeat. so that's six scans. so far i didn't find anything this neat little app can't stitch.
  • narcoticevil over 6 years ago

about 3 or so. Its okay i seem to find it easier just using photoshop CS2 following a tutorial. So far ive got been able to stitch this image together, and i think it looks great:

http://www.discogs.com/viewimages?release=2266843
  • elektr0bi over 6 years ago

ICE is ace, thanks a lot
  • mjb over 6 years ago

I'm finding it works better if there's not too much overlap between each image.

A new version of ICE has been released.

New features through version 1.3.5

* Accelerated stitching on multiple CPU cores
    * Ability to publish, view, and share panoramas on the Photosynth web site
    * Support for "structured panoramas" — panoramas consisting of hundreds of photos taken in a rectangular grid of rows and columns (usually by a robotic device like the GigaPan tripod heads)
    * No image size limitation — stitch gigapixel panoramas
    * Support for input images with 8 or 16 bits per component
    * Ability to read raw images using WIC codecs
    * Photoshop layer and large document support

I can confirm the multicore feature - it's much faster than it was before on my Pentium 4.
  • punxtr over 6 years ago

cool. thanks for the heads up
  • kompaktkiste over 5 years ago

updated april 5
    version 1.4.2
    http://research.microsoft.com/en-us/um/redmond/groups/ivm/ICE/
    haven't tested yet. seems more screenspace is wasted on the bottom part.
  • Ktrump5 over 5 years ago

This is great!!! Thank you so much for the info... it is much easier than photographing every single record cover! I am a fan of doing at least 4 scans, the program has more images to create the full composite image. If you make sure you get each corner of the sleeve, it usually works very well.
  • SeRKeT over 5 years ago

sometimes due to the way images have symmetrical sleeves ICE cannot stitch the images in one go, so... a tip here if this happens is for ex you have 4 images for a sleeve try stitching them 2 at a time then repeat the process and stitch the two previously stitched parts :) after working this out i am yet to find a sleeve that cannot be stitched!
    well done Bill, it is one of the few Microsoft free apps that works O.0
    edit : grammar
  • mjb over 5 years ago

1.4.4 was released May 26 2011

New features in version 1.4.4:
    • Stitch directly from a video (only on Windows 7)
    • Automatic lens vignette removal
    • Improved blending engine
    • Options dialog to control memory usage and scratch disk locations
  • double-happiness over 5 years ago

^ I should update.

Check out this ICE stitch:

http://www.discogs.com/viewimages?release=3065897

It looks mad as both (horizontal) scans I did had scanner moire. The text 'MIDNIGHT' should be matt grey!

double-happiness
    Check out this ICE stitch:
    http://www.discogs.com/viewimages?release=3065897

which resolution was the original scan?
    i use 300dpi for lp covers, two or four scans.
    can you unsharpen the original a little, before stitching and downsizing,
    to avoid the moire effects?

• double-happiness over 5 years ago

Hi kompaktiste

I only use 100 dpi for covers and 200 for labels, for speed. I have to do a lot.

I will try the unsharpen maybe, thanks for the tip. This doesn't happen with record covers often, fortunately, it's just a 'coincidence' of the print pattern and the scanner screen... It's much more common when scanning magazine pages, in my experience.

well 100dpi might be too little, since unsharpen or blur won't work properly to undo the moires:
    12" @ 100dpi are 1200 pixels, not much to interpolate when downsizing to 600.

some covers i do scan in 600dpi, the big one in the office does a3 in 600dpi in 3 seconds :-)
    but then stitching two or four 7200x7200 images takes a while even on a fast machine.
    and 600dpi is indeed way too slow with standard a4 scanners.

any vinyl labels or cd parts look so much better when made from 600dpi scans.
    300dpi is minimum for good screen filling cover pictures (1200x1200+), 200dpi might work fine for 600x600.

60.000 scans and counting...
    i regret having ever done any in 150dpi back then last millennium. been re-doing them all.
  • ccj over 4 years ago

Anyone done a YouTube video of themselves scanning and using ICE (or any other app)?

I'm a Mac user, so can't use myself (though suppose I could open in my VM, but it's knackered currently!).

It'd be a great thing to get both newbies and oldies on here adding more image content rather than just typed data... ;-)
  • elektr0bi over 4 years ago

elektr0bi edited over 4 years ago
    ccj
    Anyone done a YouTube video of themselves scanning and using ICE (or any other app)?

like, naked ? sure!

(j/k) looking for an alternative, actually
  • Diognes_The_Fox over 4 years ago

I use the Pandora extension for the gimp if anyone else uses that. It's pretty easy and there's youtube howto's.
  • elektr0bi over 4 years ago

Thanks, might try that one... I get the feeling my win xp downloads too much updates surrounding Mic ICE...been thinking about trying an alternative
  • SeRKeT over 4 years ago

there are 2 .net updates needed for ice, yes it is a pain but once u get the standalone updates u can install them on any machine
  • Adambassador over 3 years ago

Downloaded ICE last night and am impressed!

The first two images here were assembled by the program. Any defects you see are actually from the cover/paper, which is old and beat up.

http://www.discogs.com/viewimages?release=3935360
  • SeRKeT over 3 years ago

here is my latest stitched up creation
    http://www.discogs.com/viewimages?release=1351774
    ICE is cool LOL
  • juanfrangg over 3 years ago

Amazing. It works perfectly. I usually do it manually (the assembly), I still prefer that, but the time you save using this program is priceless. Thanks a lot.
  • aasaxell over 3 years ago

Exactly what I was looking for.
    This completely made my day!
    :)

Thx mjb!
  • siberian_khatru over 3 years ago

Amazing tip! I'm still in the early stage of using this, currently letting the program stitching the images together automatically with mixed results (is there a manual way of doing it?). I think I need to be more precise when scanning the different images in the first place cause some images end up like the back sleeve in the link

http://www.discogs.com/viewimages?release=4085170

• cluedtke over 3 years ago

Yes! Was always curious on a method for scanning 12" covers with my Pixma. ICE works great so far! Plus I love any excuse to get downstairs in the lab.. got me diggin through the collection for a good cause.

edit: one of my first scans- http://www.discogs.com/viewimages?release=4036568
  • elektr0bi over 3 years ago

hi all, I've been using this cool tool for years now....though sometimes I have problems with covers like this one: http://www.discogs.com/viewimages?release=75546

I scanned it twice and all that ICE can come up with is this: http://twitpic.com/cmumyu

any ideas on how to fix that ? how to trick ICE to have it make that right ?
  • kompaktkiste over 3 years ago

^ elektr0bi have you tried forcing
    "Camera Motion: Planar Motion 1 (rigid scale)"?
    seems like ICE assumes a warped perspective view where there should be none.
    also make sure your cover is flat on the scanner
    (here it wasn't: http://s.pixogs.com/image/R-75546-1367241480-2849.jpeg )
    or edit scans approprietly before stitching,
    four part scans usually make better stitches than two.

good luck :-)
  • elektr0bi over 3 years ago

kompaktkiste
    have you tried forcing
    "Camera Motion: Planar Motion 1
    no i haven't - will definitely try that

kompaktkiste
    or edit scans approprietly before stitching
    - good point, perhaps sharpening images could help ICE to see them a bit better :)

kompaktkiste
    four part scans usually make better stitches than two
    - surely, that's what I usely throw into ICE

thanks a lot for your input ! much appreciated
  • boogie666 over 3 years ago

I have similar problems with covers that have a lot of "blank" space, for some reason ICE cannot handle this. I guess you would need to make scans that kind of "give hints" to ICE how the image should look. For example I've tried scanning this cover here but ICE never came up with something satisfying
    http://www.discogs.com/release/4162569
  • SeRKeT over 3 years ago

if there is too much blank space then ice cannot adjust the clips because it needs an overlapping part where the clips all have an identifiable start/end
    now the good bit, to get round this place a piece of paper on the scanner at a point so more than 1 clip will have the paper in the scanned image,scan each clip with the paper present so ice will then use the paper insert as the guideline for the scans and merge them correctly,(you can the overwrite the paper with copy and paste) i had the issue with lots of sleeves and filling the blank space seems to be the only way
  • kompaktkiste over 3 years ago

ICE is even more confused by repeating elements or patterns
    (like your black circles, or foldout-covers with similar front/back when stitched as one picture).
    when it assumes they are the same thing.

for blank spaces scan over the cover edge, use only the flat scanned regions.
    stitching two-by-two sometimes works.
    or add something, like SerKet said, maybe a tiny post-it.