• spw over 10 years ago

I used to live there, how funny.

Video Link

Caught on tape

YouTube: Stephenville UFO

Texans report seeing UFO

STEPHENVILLE, Texas (AP) -- In this farming community where nightfall usually brings clear, starry skies, residents are abuzz over reported sightings of what many believe is a UFO.
    art.ufosighting.ap.jpg

Ricky Sorrells says he saw a flat, metallic object hovering about 300 feet over a pasture behind his Texas home.

Several dozen people -- including a pilot, county constable and business owners -- say they have seen a large silent object with bright lights flying low and fast. Some reported seeing fighter jets chasing it.

"People wonder what in the world it is because this is the Bible Belt, and everyone is afraid it's the end of times," said Steve Allen, a freight company owner and pilot who said the object he saw last week was a mile long and half a mile wide. "It was positively, absolutely nothing from these parts."

While federal officials say there's a logical explanation, locals swear that it was larger, quieter, faster and lower to the ground than an airplane. They also said the object's lights changed configuration, unlike those of a plane. People in several towns who reported seeing it over several weeks have offered similar descriptions of the object.

Machinist Ricky Sorrells said friends made fun of him when he told them he saw a flat, metallic object hovering about 300 feet over a pasture behind his Dublin, Texas, home. But he decided to come forward after reading similar accounts in the Stephenville Empire-Tribune.
    Larry King Live
    Are UFOs descending on Texas? Eyewitness accounts of what they saw and heard.
    Friday, 9 p.m. ET
    see full schedule »

"You hear about big bass or big buck in the area, but this is a different deal," Sorrells said. "It feels good to hear that other people saw something, because that means I'm not crazy."

Sorrells said he has seen the object several times. He said he watched it through his rifle's telescopic lens and described it as very large and without seams, nuts or bolts.

Maj. Karl Lewis, a spokesman for the 301st Fighter Wing at the Joint Reserve Base Naval Air Station in Fort Worth, said no F-16s or other aircraft from his base were in the area the night of January 8, when most people reported the sighting.

Lewis said the object may have been an illusion caused by two commercial airplanes. Lights from the aircraft would seem unusually bright and may appear orange from the setting sun.

"I'm 90 percent sure this was an airliner," Lewis said. "With the sun's angle, it can play tricks on you."

Officials at the region's two Air Force bases -- Dyess in Abilene and Sheppard in Wichita Falls -- also said none of their aircraft were in the area last week. The Air Force no longer investigates UFOs.

One man has offered a reward for a photograph or videotape of the mysterious object.

About 200 UFO sightings are reported each month, mostly in California, Colorado and Texas, according to the Mutual UFO Network, which plans to go to the 17,000-resident town of Stephenville to investigate.

Fourteen percent of Americans polled last year by The Associated Press and Ipsos say they have seen a UFO.

Erath County Constable Lee Roy Gaitan said he first saw red glowing lights and then white flashing lights moving fast, but that even with binoculars could not see the object to which the lights were attached.

"I didn't see a flying saucer and I don't know what it was, but it wasn't an airplane, and I've never seen anything like it," Gaitan said. "I think it must be some kind of military craft -- at least I hope it was."
  • spw over 10 years ago

spw edited over 10 years ago
    The Larry King Live Feed Guest included James Fox (Out of The Blue), Ufologist Stanton Friedman, MUFON.

When I was living in Stephenville I knew a person who was outside smoking a cigarette and ran inside (the house I was living) looking shocked and scared yelling "I saw a flying saucer surrounded by rotating lights! I can't believe what I saw, I didn't believe in that sort of thing."

Edit - spelling.
  • ShadowEgo over 10 years ago

remarkable how the newsreaders laugh away the story in the end...

did you read the comment below the vid... ?

something's going on, and we're not supposed to notice it...
    (either extra-terrestrial or secret military stuff)
    I'd guess in a couple of years all things come together and we'll be able to see the whole picture.

nice post, thanks for sharing spw

• spw over 10 years ago

Video: Military Offers Reason For UFO Reports

Maj. Karl Lewis, a spokesman for the 301st Fighter Wing at the Naval Air Station Fort Worth Joint Reserve Base, said in a news release that an "error was made regarding the reported training activity of military aircraft" and that "10 F-16s from the 457th Fighter Squadron were performing training operations in the Brownwood Military Operating Area."

The Associated Press: F-16s Were in Area Where UFO Reported
  • spw over 10 years ago

My grandfather has land about 60 miles away from Stephenville, TX (closer to Brownwood) and you would mostly hear (strain to see) F-16's having mock dogfights. Sometimes you'd get sonic booms. Occasionally an F-16 would crash in the countryside. You would never see F-16's flying over a populated areas like Stephenville performing some type of exercise (for obvious reasons). However you did see private planes.

The bottom line is the explanations to the UFO given by the Air Force does not match witness testimony in this case.

It's well documented in UFO cases that fighter jets will scramble after a UFO. Witnesses reported F-16's who don't normally fly over that town chasing a massive UFO. Now you're starting to see a sloppy job of a cover-up that is starting to arise suspicions. Also you're starting to see a pattern to these UFO reports in describing the craft.

Examples:

"a flat, metallic object hovering"

"He said he watched it through his rifle's telescopic lens and described it as very large and without seams, nuts or bolts."

Common in UFO reports -> METALLIC STRUCTURE WITH NO SEAMS OR RIVETING.
  • spw over 10 years ago

spw edited over 10 years ago
    YouTube: NBC Today Show on Texas UFO

The Stephenville sightings on NBC's Today Show with Matt Lauer, Meredith Viera.

THE UFO COVER-UP IS STARTING TO FALL APART, FAIL.

One word of advise: scapegoat. If the people at the top who are part of the current UFO cover-up are smart, set up other people part of the ET cover-up to be the scapegoats. Take the high road and look like the good guy before this completely unravels.

Look how foolish UFO debunkers are starting to look. That wasn't a mile wide-UFO, it was an airplane. You saw on Larry King how unlikable that old ugly nerd with glasses was. The perfect scapegoat.

Donald Rumsfeld was the perfect scapegoat for the Iraq war going bad and prisoner abuse.

• spw over 10 years ago

I heard on C2C AM MUFON had over 400 witnesses show up and boasted about having possibly some really good photo/ video of the UFO in question. I'm willing to bet such evidence will never see the light of day. An organization such as MUFON would be easy to infiltrate during a cover-up. Notice that the Air Force waited before giving the cover-story. Before giving a cover-story you want to see what type of evidence may surface during a mass scale sighting.

I got a little carried away with the scapegoat idea. I'll just save it for my disclosure think tank = UFO cove-up scapegoats
  • spw over 10 years ago

Pilots dispute military statement
    By ANGELIA JOINER Staff Writer
    At least three pilots in Stephenville disagree with the military’s press release issued Wednesday.

Steve Allen, Don “Doc” Stewart and Todd Downs all say if Stephenville and the Selden area are in the Brownwood Military Operating Area, it’s news to them.
    A press release issued by Major Karl Lewis of the 301st Fighter Wing Public Affairs at the NAS Fort Worth Joint Reserve Base, stated, “Ten F-16s from the 457th Fighter Squadron were performing training operations from 6 to 8 p.m., Tuesday January 8, 2008 in the Brownwood Military Operating Area (MOA), which includes the air space above Erath County.”

All three pilots say that space does not include all of Erath County. It only includes a small portion of Dublin and does not include Stephenville or the Selden area at all.

“Stephenville is 11 miles from the MOA,” Stewart said, as he pointed out the area on an aeronautical sectional map.

Downs, who is an employee at Clark Field in Stephenville, said there is a GPS fixed point located on the airport grounds that the military uses and while it’s not unusual for the jets to be in the area, he believes the press release leads people to believe that all of Erath County air space is included in the MOA and that’s incorrect. He said jets fly through on the way to the MOA.

Downs said he does not understand why the military would issue such a release two weeks after repeatedly denying the base had any planes in the area.

“I don’t understand why they would do that at all,” Downs said. “They’re not hard to know that they are there. It doesn’t make sense. I’ve seen them come by me before. They are real loud and it’s not hard to know that they are there.”

Ken Cherry, state director of Mutual UFO Network, said he thinks the military “came clean for several reasons.”

Allen and friends reported early on that F-16s were “chasing” the mysterious lights when they saw them for the second time at Selden on the evening of Jan. 8.

“We have filed freedom of information acts and that may have prompted them to make the statement,” Cherry said. “This only proves our witnesses are more reliable than the Air Force.”

Another witness, Leroy Gaitan said what he saw that night could not have been jets.

“There’s no way F-16s can maneuver like that,” Gaitan said. “I really think it’s some kind of military project or experiment. Too many people have seen things.

’I have spoken to at least one person…witness…the military has contacted’, Gaitan said.

On Thursday evening’s Larry King Live episode, James Fox, documentary filmmaker, seemed to confirm Gaitan’s information with his statement. Fox said when visiting Stephenville he spoke to one man “who, unfortunately, was not willing to go on the record,” and who claimed he was being harassed by the military.

Allen has said videos and photos are pouring in from everywhere and Cherry said his organization is analyzing many of them.

“We’ve seen a lot of pictures but they have been lens flares or odd cloud formations,” Cherry said.

When asked about the recent footage in Allen’s possession aired by Channel 11 News he said, “The video is interesting and merits further analysis. All others have been eliminated that have come to us so far.”

Steve Hudgeons, senior field investigator with MUFON, met with Allen Saturday to view the entire 14-minute video captured by a person not wishing to be identified.

Allen said a Japanese source is interested in purchasing the video.
  • spw over 10 years ago

Retaliation: Reporter Angelia Joiner fired over UFO coverage:

The local newspaper reporter in Stephenville, Texas, who helped cover a UFO sighting case there is no longer working at the Stephenville Empire-Tribune newspaper, effective last Thursday, Feb. 7.

Journalist Angelia Joiner had been covering the UFO story which broke early in January and brought national and international news media representatives and researchers to Stephenville, other nearby small towns and the surrounding region...
  • spw over 10 years ago

NPR 'All Things Considered' Dozens Claim They Spotted UFO in Texas:

Pilot Steve Allen saw the object when he was out clearing brush off a hilltop near the town of Selden. Allen described the unidentified object as being an enormous aircraft with flashing strobe lights — and it was totally silent.

He said the UFO sped away at more than 3,000 mph, followed by two fighter jets that were hopelessly outmaneuvered. Allen said it took the aircraft just a few seconds to cross a section of sky that it takes him 20 minutes to fly in his Cessna.

The veteran pilot said the UFO, an estimated half-mile wide and a mile long, was "bigger than a Wal-Mart."
  • spw over 10 years ago

Joiner apparently felt that people in her community had "a need to know" about what was going on when respectable citizens came forward with their accounts and subsequent serious incidents reportedly involved the safety of and threats to a local family.

What you read above is something out of Communist China or Russia. Nope, that's the United States of America. And that's why I don't vote and am glad I never served in the military. I'm not proud to be an American.
  • spw over 10 years ago

UFO witness claims harassment
    By ANGELIA JOINER Staff Writer
    Sunday, February 3, 2008 3:11 PM CST

Ricky Sorrells is frustrated and a little angry.

Since his interview with the Associated Press, Sorrells has stayed quiet regarding the daytime UFO sightings on his property near Dublin.

And, there is more than one reason for his silence.

Sorrells believes military officials have been harassing him by flying military aircraft over his property at low altitudes, at all hours of the day and night. Sorrells runs livestock on his place and said the cattle don’t react well to the disturbances. It’s also been hard to get any sleep.

Sorrells made international news along with other witnesses on Jan. 14 after the Associated Press contacted him for his story and took video of the exact spot the UFO was seen along with Sorrells’ description of the object.

Not just once, but four times, he claims to have seen the massive flying object he estimates to be the length of “three or four football fields.” He said he’s not sure about the size because the first time he saw it was the best view. At that time, the craft hovered directly over him in the woods about 300 feet above his head and his view was blocked by tree branches.

“I don’t know why it keeps coming back here,” Sorrells said.

He’s convinced that someone representing himself as a Lt. Colonel knows what it is — and Sorrells wants an explanation.

He said the man contacted him by telephone on Jan. 15, one day after his interview with the Associated Press.

“I didn’t worry about writing his name down or taking notes,” Sorrells said. “I didn’t know what was about to happen. But, I think he said he was with the Air Force.”

Sorrells said the conversation started out nice enough.

“He was sort of nice to me right off,” Sorrells said. “He asked to come and talk to me.”

Sorrells said he told the man that he needed time to think about it and then, “He (the man) became really arrogant.”

The caller told Sorrells he wasn’t taking “no” for an answer and would be out to talk to him. Sorrells again tried to politely tell the man he did not wish to have company.

After that, Sorrells said the conversation became heated and he told the man not to cross his cattle guard.

Sorrells said the man responded with, “ Son, we have the same caliber weapons as you do but a lot more of them.”

Looking back, Sorrells said he believes the man was in his area but not able to pinpoint exactly where he lived because he recently built a new home.

“I actually got up and looked out my window to see if I could see someone at the cattle guard. So I said if he was who he said he was, why didn’t he stop flying over my air space with all those helicopters,” Sorrells said. “And he informed me that it was not my air space — it was his. He told me if I’d quit talking about what I saw he would stop the helicopters.”

Sorrells said since that conversation, the helicopters have quit flying over his property but the F-16s haven’t slowed.

Before the conversation took place with the suspected military officer Sorrells related a late night experience with a large transport helicopter and three smaller helicopters.

“I get up at 2:30 a.m. to go to work and these helicopters kept flying over and I couldn’t sleep,” Sorrells said. “Because it was about time to get up and go to work, I just got up and went outside to see what I could.”

Sorrells said he has a spotlight on his pickup that he uses to look for coyotes.

“I went to my truck and turned on the spotlight and shined it up at them,” Sorrells said. “It was so close, I could see the pilot’s reaction. He threw up his arm to block the light. He was in one of the smaller helicopters.

“Then he turned toward me and I still have the light on. I started to feel uncomfortable so I turned off the light and waved and went back inside. I was thinking I had pushed the envelope.”

To top that off, Sorrells said an acquaintance, whom he would not name, and formerly a member of the military, told him, “You need to shut your mouth about what you saw.”

Sorrells said he tried to pull the man aside and asked him to explain his statement.

“He just kept saying the same thing and wouldn’t explain,” Sorrells said. “ Now he won’t speak to me.”

Sorrells said because the helicopters disappeared, he now feels the gentlemen was actually a member of the military, and was high enough in rank that he was able to stop that type of air traffic.

“If it is a military craft the American people need to know,” Sorrells said. “A lot of people have seen things around here. I know what I saw and so do they.”

(For more of Sorrell’s story see Monday’s edition of the E-T.)
  • dan_d over 10 years ago

So now that this was put together (http://www.mufon.com/documents/MUFONStephenvilleRadarReport.pdf), what next? What is the military explaination? Any feedback from anyone on this?
  • spw over 9 years ago

Stephenville residents report more UFO sightings

By JIM DOUGLAS / WFAA-TV

STEPHENVILLE — Over a three-month period this summer there were 1,000 UFO sightings filed with the National UFO Reporting Center.

Some 75 of those UFOs were reported over the state of Texas.

Stephenville is one hot spot we've shown you before.

Now the small town is getting buzzed by UFOs again and we have the video.

"You could see the oval shape. Got my friend, I said 'dude, you got to come look at this,'" said Andy Monrreal.

Monrreal was hanging out with his Dublin High School friends when they all saw something they say looked like a UFO.

"You could see a shape. It was like a complete circle," said Monrreal.

He rolled off a half minute of video on his mom's digital camera.

His dad saw it too.

"I never seen nothing like that in my life. Big lights and everything," his father said.

So did mom.

"It was a round thing. You could see lights around it, flickering and changing. It was awesome. Just turning and flickering," she said.

Back in January, Erath County went UFO crazy after a handful of people reported similar lights over Stephenville.

International press and UFO hunters descended on the town.

This time, many more eye witnesses are phoning the Stephenville Empire Tribune or the ET.

Reporter Whitney Ashley said many people don't want to talk publicly, like several workers at the paper, who also saw the lights.

"I've got at least 10 right now willing to go on record," Ashley said.

"The sheriff's department got lots of calls in the southern part of Erath County."

Down around Dublin, home of DR Pepper.

The Joint Reserve Base in Fort Worth confirms seven F-16s training in the area at the time.

Several witnesses told us they saw the fighters, after they saw the mysterious lights.
  • spw over 9 years ago

I reproduced the above article because this is a good detailed sighting along with video.

Witness description. "Oval shape, lights around it changing and flickering."

• spw over 9 years ago

By the way I don't know if I mentioned this but I used to live in Stephenville, TX.

What could be drawing ET's to this area?

Advances in monitoring provide a more comprehensive picture of water quality

That was the case in 2001 near Stephenville where a large number of dairies populated the watersheds of the North Bosque and Leon rivers. Dairy operations, if not run properly, can produce contaminated runoff. Because both rivers serve as the source of drinking water for several cities, including Waco, the TCEQ needed frequent data on the changing conditions in the rivers and their tributaries.

From that first project near Stephenville, continuous monitoring not only expanded but became more complex, including the use of solar panels, satellite telemetry, data-acquisition electronics, and meteorological sensors.

• spw over 9 years ago

Hmmm...could it have something to do with the underground aquifers in the area.

TIME: Home, Home On The Latrine
  • dan_d over 9 years ago

Interesting details on TX, thanks spw.

I have to admit it always worries me a bit when there are re-sightings in certain areas. It's clear that the sightings, especially repeated ones, are good for the local economy and folks jump right on it with regards to tourism. See Roswell, Phoenix, California Drones, Tinsley Park, etc.

Makes it a more willing target with more to gain for hoaxers?

• spw over 9 years ago

dan_d

I have to admit it always worries me a bit when there are re-sightings in certain areas. It's clear that the sightings, especially repeated ones, are good for the local economy and folks jump right on it with regards to tourism. See Roswell, Phoenix, California Drones, Tinsley Park, etc.

Makes it a more willing target with more to gain for hoaxers?

The video and family describing the craft doesn't look like an elaborate hoax to spur tourism.

And then you get this explanation:

"join reserve base in Fort Worth confirms 7 f-16's training at the time"

several witnesses told us they saw those fighters after they saw the mysterious lights"

There is a long history of jets scrambling after UFO type craft. This was also the case in the first 2008 sighting.

NEW: More Texas Stephenville UFO's - reported by WFAA

UFO over Stephenville, Texas AGAIN!! CNN OCT. 26, 2008 NEW FOOTAGE

• dan_d over 9 years ago

• spw over 9 years ago

"As he looked toward the small town of Dublin in the southwest sky he saw what appeared to be a brightly lit hovering object."

I have a sister that lives in Dublin, Texas. She saw the object with her husband.
  • spw over 9 years ago

spw edited over 9 years ago
    dan_d
    http://www.theufochronicles.com/2008/...eaves.html

Witness: Michael Corn, 27, and former member of the United States Army.

Date: Monday, October 27, 2008.

City: Dublin, Texas (Near Stephenville, Texas).

UFO description:

brightly lit

hovering

lights pulsed in a right to left direction

lights as an amber or orange color

“I could see the bottom of the object from the illumination of those lights and the city lights,” Corn said. “The bottom (of the craft) looked smooth.

observed the object for about 15 seconds and then suddenly it disappeared without making a sound.

Witness: Corn’s girlfriend, Ashley Couch, also observed the object.

“It reminded me of a carousel lying over on its side.”

Witness: For the sake of anonymity the 20 year old will be called “Leslie.”

“It was coming down at a slight angle – slowly – it had a bright big light, a steady light and a blinking light,” she said, “ for a total of three.”

“One was red and maybe that was the one that was blinking…I’m not sure,” Leslie said.

“It looked almost like it was hovering. The lights were so bright it was hard to see the shape, but the bottom looked a silver gray color."
  • spw over 9 years ago

Witness: Ricky Sorrells

Date: Tuesday, January 8, 2008

City: Stephenville, Texas.

UFO Description:

A flat, metallic object hovering about 300 feet over a pasture behind his Texas home.
  • spw over 9 years ago

Witness: Andy Monroe, several workers of the paper (anonymous), 10 people willing to go on record.

Date: Sunday, October 26, 2008

City: Stephenville, Texas. Southern part of Erath County.

UFO Description (Andy Monroe):

Oval shape, complete circle, round with lights all around it turning and flickering.