• EzraHaSofer over 10 years ago

EzraHaSofer edited over 10 years ago
    This is a mix tape from 1994 that was made especially for the Australian party crew Vibe Tribe by DJ Ollie (not sure if this is Ollie Olsen or Ollie Wisdom, or someone altogether different). This tape was very popular at that time in Australia, and I've just found it at a friend's house where I managed to burn it to MP3. "Into The Light" showcases a range of styles that initially were very important for goa trance. A careful listen and you'll hear some EBM, some housey anthemic kind of sounds which are slightly cheesy but are still awesome. There are many samples of Indian music and chanting, something that would of course be a prime characteristic of the goa aesthetic. There's also good use of the 303 which tended to be ignored later as the genre developed and goa veered away from techno, firmly establishing itself as an independent genre and scene. The tape hovers around the 120 to 140 bpm zone, a characteristic of goa for a number of years before the music got harder and faster.

This is the music that was being played in underground clubs, warehouse parties, and outdoor doofs and festivals in the early 1990s. Within two years the sound had already progressed greatly, moving heavily towards the psychedelic hints of the style, getting faster, trippier, more complex, and less organic. I love these early sounds, and feel that psytrance kind of lost it a bit afterwards. By today's standard, much of the music here sounds like trippy remixes of hard progressive-house tracks.

I don't have a track listing for "Into the Light" (except for the first song on Side A, which is of course Hallucinogen's "LSD"). If anyone can provide more info, that would be great. Each side is around 40MB and I should warn you that the sound quality is not very good (I recommend EQing it to turn the treble down). Enjoy!

SIDE A:
    http://www.zshare.net/audio/13046393779f4d3c/

SIDE B:
    http://www.zshare.net/audio/13049269302743fa/
  • adaracd over 10 years ago

Sound interesting, downloading... thanks
  • adaracd over 10 years ago

wow, can someone id tracks 4,5,6 from side A?

• SabKuchMilegator over 10 years ago

sounds brilliant, thanks for sharing. :)

wish we had the tracklist.
  • kwulf over 10 years ago

• ozran over 10 years ago

Hi Goalovers, thanks again to EzraHaSofer for sharing this tape, I manage a track list (incomplete) for side 2 if it can help:

1 JUNGLE HIGH - Fire Of Love (Total Eclipse Remix)
    2 MAN WITH NO NAME - Voices
    3 VOODOO PEOPLE - Syn System
    4 THE OVERLORDS - Wow! Mr Yogi (The Pranksters Two-in-one Mix)
    5 Space Tribe - You Can Be Shiva
    6 Another space tribe track? Very Famous trackbut cannot find
    for the moment
    7 Can't find this one, older than the other tracks maybe from

Unfortunately I cannot download side 1, the link is ok but the zshare page seems to have some errors, if someone knows an alternative way to download the file it will help, thanks in advance

Hi Goalovers, thanks again to EzraHaSofer for sharing this tape, I manage a track list (incomplete) for side 2 if it can help:

1 JUNGLE HIGH - Fire Of Love (Total Eclipse Remix)
    2 MAN WITH NO NAME - Voices
    3 VOODOO PEOPLE - Syn System
    4 THE OVERLORDS - Wow! Mr Yogi (The Pranksters Two-in-one Mix)
    5 Space Tribe - You Can Be Shiva
    6 Another space tribe track? Very Famous trackbut cannot find
    for the moment
    7 Can't find this one, older than the other tracks maybe from

Unfortunately I cannot download side 1, the link is ok but the zshare page seems to have some errors, if someone knows an alternative way to download the file it will help, thanks in advance
  • skyhighsi over 10 years ago

kwulf
    I think it's Meat Beat Manifesto - Mindstream (Mind The Bend The Mind) (mix by Orbital)

Definately that track but its not quite that mix.

Only one I can id is side 1 at around 6.15 is Martin Freeland - Evolution and is on this:
    http://www.discogs.com/release/148591

as are a couple others already id'd by ozran
  • Spirit__ over 10 years ago

Spirit__
    Spirit__ wrote: ozran: Nice! Here you go

Thanks spirit, I try to give a tracklist as soon as I can, I just have a quick listening and seems harder to remember than side 2!!! Thanks again

Hi again, what a nice tape!!! Truly a treasure of the so called GOOD OLD DAYS...

I think we can be sure that is ollie wisdom and not ollie olsen, because of the way of mixing and the presence of the two space tribe tracks.

About the track list of side 1, the second track ided by skyhighsi is right and here is what I can remember at the moment:

1 HALLUCINOGEN - Lsd
    2 MAN WITH NO NAME - Evolution
    5 PRANA - Baraka
    6 TOTAL ECLIPSE - Delta 9

About the total eclipse track this is the DAT version or if you prefer the real complete track that was only available on DAT, the version available on the first total eclipse cd is an edit and is only 4min15 compare to the one in the mix that is more than 6min...

I have no idea at all about tracks 3,4,7 and 8, I heard some before for sure but it is like we can say that they are not fully goa compare to the other tracks, it is that kind of techno trance tracks not really psychedelic but they contains some elements that fit in a psyche goa mix at these times, I remember that track 8 was played a lot specially during morning time in goa parties...

Thanks again EzraHaSofer for this historic moment, I hope other users can remember the missing files that we can get a complete tracklist...

• Joseph_S over 10 years ago

Joseph_S edited over 10 years ago
    Incidentally the 1st Goa tape I had in July 1994 also started with LSD. Unfortunately I have no way to upload it on computer. There's also Optica's Somniferium, Juno Reactor's Labyrinth (original by the Overlords) and Microwave Prince's Cyclic Evolution. Others don't know.

My TDK tape was bought here locally and it's mixed by a certain DJ Tin Tin :-)

I have many old cassettes i picked up in goa 1989 and 1992 and a few off friends from other years. they are mainly by uknown people except 1 by Tsyoshi, 1 by gil and another by andre. they are all downloaded to my computer via sony sonicstage so useless to most people. sorry.
  • kwulf over 10 years ago

ozran
    About the total eclipse track this is the DAT version or if you prefer the real complete track that was only available on DAT, the version available on the first total eclipse cd is an edit and is only 4min15 compare to the one in the mix that is more than 6min...

Yep, good catch! I added this full version to http://www.discogs.com/user/UnreleasedGoa > http://www.discogs.com/release/983441
  • frulas over 10 years ago

frulas edited over 10 years ago
    Side A - Track 8 is Orbital - Remind
    Side A - Track 7 is The Infinity Project - Untitled (B2) from Time And Space EP

;)

1. Hallucinogen - LSD
    2. Man With No Name - Evolution
    5. Prana - Baraka
    6. Total Eclipse - Delta 9
    7. The Infinity project - Time And Space EP (B2)
    8. Orbital - Remind
  • Ooze over 10 years ago

Joseph_S
    My TDK tape was bought here locally and it's mixed by a certain DJ Tin Tin

'Tin Tin' or 'DJ Tin Tin' was the founder of the label Cosmic Communication. He was from the techno underground scene in the UK and was responsible for getting Carl Cox and The KLF their first gigs. He held massive parties, one of which in 1989 saw 25,000 people. It was so big apparently, people were parking on the hard shoulder of the M4 motorway, which subsequently forced Heathrow airport to close for the morning....(they don't make them like they used to!)
    His music tastes varied through the years, playing Electro, Acid House, Hardcore and then Trance (after he went to a TIP party).
    His sets then were a blend of techno and trance.
    The Megadog tour, with Hallucinogen and Tin Tin amongst others, took the trance sound to universities and towns where the sound had never been heard before.
    He had an album called 'Lost Children Space party' which was due to be released on his label Cosmic Communication, whether it was or not I don't know.
  • Ooze over 10 years ago

woops, double post
  • Ooze over 10 years ago

?! sH*T, done it again

Ooze
    after he went to a TIP party

Did anyone go to the TIP party which was actually in... a tip in East London near a huge electricity sub station and Ford factory? that was some crazy shit!
  • Joseph_S over 10 years ago

Joseph_S edited over 10 years ago
    Ooze
    'Tin Tin' or 'DJ Tin Tin' was the founder of the label Cosmic Communication. He was from the techno underground scene in the UK and was responsible for getting Carl Cox and The KLF their first gigs. He held massive parties, one of which in 1989 saw 25,000 people. It was so big apparently, people were parking on the hard shoulder of the M4 motorway, which subsequently forced Heathrow airport to close for the morning....(they don't make them like they used to!)
    His music tastes varied through the years, playing Electro, Acid House, Hardcore and then Trance (after he went to a TIP party).
    His sets then were a blend of techno and trance.
    The Megadog tour, with Hallucinogen and Tin Tin amongst others, took the trance sound to universities and towns where the sound had never been heard before.
    He had an album called 'Lost Children Space party' which was due to be released on his label Cosmic Communication, whether it was or not I don't know.

Thanks for the info! I had done a search for TIN TIN on database and could have never imagined that the Tin Tin of Cosmic Communication could be him! I have 3 TDK tapes by him bought locally from a shop which imported vinyl between 1994-1996 latest and clothing. They are plain TDK tapes with "DJ TIN TIN " written by hand, nothing more. 1 was released in July 1994, the other in December 1994 and the other in July 1995. I have no idea either if tapes were mixed locally here or taped off from some other mixtapes by him! Whatever they are I used to pay 2 or 2.50 maltese lira at a time when I had no money (17/18 years age), equivalent to around €5 of today or so :-)

If I'm not mistaken on a local Techno program I heard once that TIN TIN was coming to Malta, this must be more than 10 years ago or so.

For the fun, this is what identified from the tapes:

July 1994 tape:

Side A

A1 Hallucinogen- LSD
    A2 ?? - ??
    A3 Microwave Prince - Cyclic Evolution
    A4 Optica - Somniferium
    A5 ?? ??
    A6 ?? ??
    A7 Juno Reactor - Labyrinth

Side B totally unknown to me.

-------------------------------------------

December 1994 tape:

Side A

A1 MWNN - Teleportation
    A2 MWNN - Evolution
    A3 MWNN - Voices
    A4 ?? - ??
    A5 Ayahuasca - Ayahuascan Chant
    A6 Technossomy - Elektron Bender
    A7 ???MWNN??? - ??

Side B

B1 ?? ??
    B2 ?? ??
    B3 Moondust - Are We Alone
    B4 Total Eclipse - Aliens
    B5 ?? ??
    B6 Lazonby - Sacred Cycles
    B7 ?? ??

---------------------------------------

July 1995 tape:

Side A

A1 Infinity Project - Stimuli
    A2 Infinity Project - Uforica
    A3 ?? - ??
    A4 Total Eclipse - Toxic Caterpillar
    A5 Abon Don - Crystal
    A6 Slinky Wizard - Wizard
    A7 Juno Reactor - Mars

Side B

B1 G.G.E. - Uniform Planet (Orbit Trance)
    B2 Electrotete - Alcatraz
    B3 ?? - ??
    B4 ?? - ??
    B5 Aban Don - Journey Into Your Mind
    B6 ?? - ??

Weren't/arent' they nice (talking about Dec 1994/July 1995 tapes of course) ?

• EzraHaSofer over 10 years ago

EzraHaSofer edited over 10 years ago
    This is the track listing so far:

DJ Ollie Wisdom – Into The Light

Side One
    1. Hallucinogen - LSD
    2. Man With No Name - Evolution
    3. ?
    4. ?
    5. Prana - Baraka
    6. Total Eclipse - Delta 9 (DAT Version)
    7. The Infinity project - Untitled (B2) (from the Time And Space EP)
    8. Orbital - Remind

Side Two
    1. Jungle High- Fire Of Love (Total Eclipse Remix)
    2. Man With No Name- Voices
    3. Voodoo People - Syn System
    4. The Overlords - Wow! Mr Yogi (The Pranksters Two-in-one Mix)
    5. Space Tribe - You Can Be Shiva
    6. Space Tribe - ?
    7. ? - Possibly old pre-1992 track.

I guess that leaves just 3 tracks to ID.
  • draeke over 10 years ago

I am on this now, and asked some people of the oldschool scene, track one is the Purple Om version of LSD the 1993 mix, then track 3 and 4 are known to a friend of mine, he will let me know what they are :)