• masen023 over 13 years ago

As skyhighsi wrote (http://www.discogs.com/groups/topic/167343) : I am getting on a bit and am very much a by-stander nowadays but here is my opinion for what its worth.

Goa trance derives from a bunch of electronic music of various genres (techno, ebm, industrial, rave etc) which was not made for Goa based parties in mind but was championed by the dj's playing there and who frequently played around with them to chop out lyrics, prolong 'trancey' bits etc.
    Now, I have been told off by other oggers for suggesting that this was therefore 'Goa' music but thats where I picked them up and in my opinion they all have something unique in common that connects them (maybe someone who knows about structuring trax can enlighten me as to why - they often seem to be b-sides!?).

After about 1992 I think the old 'Goa' sound changed into a newer sound specifically aimed at Goa parties. The likes of Dragonfly (check the diffrence between the first album Project 2 Trance and Order Odanata 1), Matsui, TIP to name a few were leading the field and it still seemed very 'Goa' sounding.

I am not going to give an exact year (although maybe 1994-1996) things seemed to move forward and became more frenzied (Pleidians for example - which I still have and love bty) but it seemed that the more technology progressed the crazier the music was getting.

Perhaps it was my aging ears that were getting less tolerant of the Harder trance stuff or maybe I only associated Goa trance from when I was actively in the scene or maybe the entire structure of the trax and sounds were changing but I think the true Goa sound is lost in time as I remember it:

skyhighsi
    http://www.discogs.com/groups/topic/156337

Do people still go to Goa every season for great parties or is it full of rich russian tourists as I have heard??

Maybe the true Goa sound ended when Goa became too popular and therefore commercial. Even the fact that I found it in 1989 the secret was ruined (then oakie and rampling put the final nail in the coffin) - the clique side portrayed in 'the Beach' although made extreme for film reasons did exist. It was a special secret shared by a couple of hundred people who returned every year and all knew each other (even if indirectly).

Interested to hear responses and thanks for bearing with me!!!

Now... I am wondering: Names of dj´s from that time???...
  • skyhighsi over 13 years ago

Andre, Gil, Laurent, Tsyoshi (?), Ray Castle and Henry. That s all I can think of at the moment. Dont you know any masen023?

Andre... last name??
    Laurent... last name??
    Henry... last name??

...of course i know. But i´m not intrested in music producers, but the dj that "made" goa trance before it was written in the studio by producers Quote; skyhighsi : who frequently played around with them (techno, ebm, industrial, rave etc) to chop out lyrics, prolong 'trancey' bits etc.

It was that i was thinking about :)
  • adaracd over 13 years ago

Some quotes about dj laurent from Youth interview ( http://www.discogs.com/groups/topic/128854 )

What did you make of Goa when u first went there?

I thought Goa was amazing and a big inspiration. It inspired me to set up Dragonfly records which was a label dedicated to that style of music and party. The problem was that at that time the DJs were great, the main one was this guy called Lauren and the music was a broader spectrum of music, with even Italian progressive house music. Lauren would mix from cassette decks and change the music take bits out edit . You'd see them under a cloud of dust mixing from two cassette decks. I've never had anyone blow my mind like that guy. What was great was that the music was coming from everywhere, very little of it was designed or made for there, as it became more and more popular and the sound followed this evolutionary curve into high-octane trance suddenly the bandwidth of expression became narrow. But in some ways that was good it did cut out a lot of chaff from the wheat, it had to be really good to fit into that bandwidth and some artists really redefined it because of that and took it even further like Simon Posford and X-Dream.
  • skyhighsi over 13 years ago

masen023
    Andre... last name??
    Laurent... last name??
    Henry... last name??

...of course i know. But i´m not intrested in music producers, but the dj

These were dj's. All dj's were also producers if they were altering the trax. It was a very exciting time and each dj would have their own special versions of things. The article Adara has posted here is excellent. Youth puts it beautifully.

yess... thx Adara!! :) What is Laurent upto these days??? :)

info anyone??...
  • draeke over 13 years ago

Gil knows Lauren and they still are in contact, someone on another forum asked for help of Gil identifying who was playing on a video from goa of year 92 and i seen it too, this guy was exactly mixing from tapes. Gil didnt want to give contacts of Lauren, so who knows what is he up to, maybe sometimes he will come on discogs and answer us :)
  • Sound_Species over 12 years ago

Laurent is a member here http://www.discogs.com/user/siolaw

PS: Try asking him directly, although keep in mind to respect his privacy as he is quite reclusive.
  • TheTreeTribe over 12 years ago

TheTreeTribe edited over 12 years ago
    There was another Swiss bloke known as Swiss Rudy/Reudi. Also Guy Moran. I've got some old mixtapes of theirs, among others.

Fred Disko aka Psyko Disko was around then too right ?
  • ujw34 over 12 years ago

:-)) the swiss guy: Rudy-Go-A-Origin
  • masen023 over 12 years ago

TheTreeTribe: it would be nice to hear those mixtape trax ;)

masen023: sure, i'll upload 'em and send you the links.. btw, I have no idea what tracks are on the mixes, but the tapes are VERY INTERESTING to say the least... proper pioneering stuff !! :p
  • kwulf over 12 years ago

[quote=masen023] TheTreeTribe: it would be nice to hear those mixtape trax ;)[/quote]
    Yesssss!

masen023 edited over 12 years ago
    YESSS!!!! oohhh, DJ Laurent and Swiss Rudy!!!

will surely check those out :)))))

TheTreeTribe: really nice tracks. Thanks!!! :)))
  • kwulf over 12 years ago

TheTreeTribe: Thanks a lot for these tapes! It was really interesting to listen to them.
    The one from 1987 is pure electro(funk), mostly (or completely) American stuff, some of it drug-related - which makes perfect sense for a party in Goa.
    The one from 1989 is not very far apart, with a few exceptions that would gradually make the new Goa sound soon:
    KLF - What time is love
    and another track that I can't recognize but is quite acidic for its time.

I'd be very interested to listen to more tapes from Goa parties, if anyone has.
    The ones after 1990 I'm sure will contain all the good stuff :))
    but earlier ones will still serve a historical purpose..

TheTreeTribe edited over 12 years ago
    i still have some more.. :) (one by guy moran i think)

will send 'em across soon, i'm travelling at the moment.

they are all extraordinary and put pictures of that 1992 party video back in my head..

TheTreeTribe: YESSS!!!... please send me the other mixer when you got time :)

Happy weekend :D
  • lazerlegz over 11 years ago

[quote=kwulf][/quote]

hey kwulf,

i'm the guy who sent tree tribe those old tapes. glad you found them of interest -thought you might like track lists for them.

the 87 is rumoured to be by laurent, although only laurent himself would be able to verify that. i got it when i was there that year but it must have been at least third or fourth hand by the time it got to me. the mix of boytronic does sound like one of laurent's edits but who knows. i think it's probably a composite of various tapes from various sources. apart from mark shreeve, the tracks are mainly european - although from what i understand u.s. electro was played in the years before i was there -stuff like cybotron and jonzen crew and i remember hearing newcleus a lot in 86.

the 89 tape is i thik swiss rudie - the tracks are mainly belgian with some u.k. stuff (screaming trees, klf, i start counting).

i did have a few more but they've been lost, broken or lent out over the years. i'm working on tracking down some more from that period and a bit later (up to 92 / 93) - so if and when i have some success in that department i'll keep you guys on here posted.

cheers,

dave

ps - i've included links for anyone on here interested - if they are maxed out let me know and i'll re-up them

Goa 87 - Laurent (?) http://www.sendspace.com/file/y8nowv

01. Sandy Marton "White Storm In The Jungle"
    02 Jean-Michel Jarre "Zoolookologie"
    03 Koto "Jabdah"
    04 ?
    05 Laser Dance "Humanoid Invasion"
    06 ?
    07 Boytronic "Hurts"
    08 Krush "House Arrest"
    09 Mark Shreeve "Legion"
    10 Banana Republic "Lonely Too Long"
    11 Ironic Remark "Rebirth"
    12 Dr Calculus "Dream Machine"
    13 Laser Cowboys "Radioactivity"

Goa 89 - Swiss Rudi http://www.sendspace.com/file/7cpv1j

01 KLF "What Time Is Love?"
    02 Oh Well "Oh Well"
    03 Airplane Crashers "White Rabbit"
    04 Fatal Attraction "Music To Be Murdered By"
    05 I Start Counting "17 Pens"
    06 Hard Corps "Lucky Charm"
    07 The Maxx "Your Highness"
    08 Total "?"
    09 Robotiko Rejecto "Robotiko Rejecto"
    10 Screaming Trees "Iron Guru"
    11 Apollo 11 "1969"
    12 Tribantura "Getting Hurt Or Killed"
    13 Brothers On Acid "?"
    14 Mr Horse "Crisis Situation"
    15 New Beat Express "I Love You & I Hate You"
    16 Manufacture "?"
    17 Borghesia "?"
    18 Rio Rhythm Bass "?"
    19 Ecstasy Club "Jesus Loves The Acid"

Goa 90 - Guy Moran http://www.sendspace.com/file/cr0w5j

01 Negro Sex
    02 Negro Sex
    03 Clock DVA
    04 Clock DVA
    05 New Design "Some Like It Hot"
    06 Frankfurter
    07 New Design "Some Like It Hot - Acid Mix"
    08 Noise Control
    09 Heavy Duty Breaks
    10 Flat Earth
    11 Eon "Infinity"
    12 Zerrocks
    13 Space Opera
    14 KGB
    15 Sky My House Band
    16 Eighty Night
    17 Voltage Control
    18 Ozone
    19 Blue Pearl
    20 Force Legato "System"

just realised the 87 tape has one track missing

off 'electrica salsa - baba baba mix'

is in between mark shreeve and banana replublic

if anyone can identity tracks 4 and 6 that would be great. track 4 in particular - i've being hunting for it for 23 years now and still no joy!
  • TheTreeTribe over 11 years ago

Welcome to ze forum dave :)

[quote=TheTreeTribe][/quote]

thanks mate
  • 303 over 11 years ago

303 edited over 11 years ago
    in the 89's mix the track 9 is Robotiko Rejekto - Umsturz-Jetzt

cool. thanks 303.
  • Meltdown23 over 11 years ago

Hats off to you masen023 for starting this thread completely correct, it was indeed as you say, the music was from all over europe and elsewhere, ebm, new beat, italia house, spanish ebm, the odd english track, all spliced and diced by the then DJ,s. For me in goa 1990 it was mainly the last remnants of new beat being played there, but to those who were there in 91 and 92 that was the start of what we called Trance Dance, as a way of collectively describing the music we heard, but its true to say, that if one of these songs was isolated on its own it could only be called techno or ebm, (or nowadays Old School) but once played in a set with similar music and edited and chopped it became Goa Trance Dance, well to us at least, And 92 was no different really apart from the music becoming even more melodic, and to be honest artists were not making music specifically for goa at that time, it was of course a Dj led scene, i was with 3 guys in goa 90,91and 92 and to us it was simply Goa music, but my friend graham along with raj started Tip records our other friend helped to start flying rhino shortly afterwards, and then from 93 onwards the music was produced specifically for goa in mind, all these early goa producers were just trying to mimic what they had heard from the pioneering djs and extend it musically, its then that the music changed into the genre we now know, this is a good thread because along with skyhighski's(who i met in 92) comments and lazerlegs not to mention everyone else in this thread it looks like the truth is finally coming out, after 92 djs from england and elsewhere started arriving in goa to play their take on the goa sound, this is when it changed, i loved all the early music from these new producers but as the years rolled by i found myself yearning for the music which inspired it, the roots so to speak...

As for some of the dj names already mentioned,Laurent is for sure the best, but gil obviously was a big player, Ray of course, swiss rudy etc, yes, but other dj,s include Tattoo Andy who played i think with henry, also Yentz was a great dj and a german guy called Axel, Ollie wisdom was also playing partys, mainly his own saga partys which were awesome, there are other djs of course who left their mark on this music but their names are sadly lost to time, very much like the music which started Trance, but with forums such as this existing we could be on a tidal wave of rediscovery.. Meltdown

ps further to a conversaton i had with lazerlegs i still have most of my old casettes from goa which kinda start in 90 and go all the way to 94, so totally capturing these important music changing years.i have Ray tapes. gil tapes, ollie tapes, andy tapes, yentz and axel im going thru them now, ive found one which has no tracklisting(shame) but i seriously think it might be laurent, but cant confirm this, but its excellent and from 91 the proto trance period, when these tapes have been digitised i will post them for posterity.. Bom
  • KristallMattheus over 11 years ago

Nick, thank you for sharing your experience and knowledge of those early days. Regarding the tapes, my mouth is watering. ;) please do share them!! :)

Regards
    Chris

Hi chris, of course i will be happy to share them, i need to try an go thru them properly and clean up the ones that need it, some of them are probaly god knows how many generation away from the original master tape, but some, like all gil tapes are as clean as you like, by the way chris, you use the same name in youtube? if so thanks for your nice comments i appreciate it mate. Nick
  • 303 over 11 years ago

Meltdown23
    i need to try an go thru them properly and clean up the ones that need it

I cleaned and remastered my old tapes with Cool Edit (now Adobe Audition), is very easy when you got good noise samples from the start and end of the tapes.

my thanks 303 for info, actuallly i remember cool edit when it 1st came out, also i have a version of adobe audition which ive never used, i imagine sony soundforge would be ok also? as regards noise samples? do you mean that cool edit used these like in some kinda snapshot way? ie to identify the noise and then eliminate it? if so, cool...

Hi everyone, i know that some people are waiting on these old goa tapes, but i feel i should point out that they are not mix tapes! but regular tapes, as in one track follows another these were from djs who used them to play a set, they are not recordings of actual dj sets from parties, i do have some which are the exception to this for eg from early trance parties in england, which could be(amongst many) TIP,Ahimsa, Bomm, Pagan, or any other of the myriad of the early party organisers, i hope im not pointing out the obvious?
  • Dark-Trance over 11 years ago

Can someone help me out..a cousin of mine sent me goa trance from europe.. but it didnt have names.. going insane trying to find out who theyre by.. One of the tracks has a wolf howl in the background.. any1 recognize it?
  • Joseph_S over 11 years ago

Hello Dark-Trance, welcome on discogs and the Goa forum. Are you looking for this maybe:

http://www.discogs.com/Sheyba-Sheyba-EP/release/94055

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9xSCYOzJ-_g&feature=player_embedded#!

?

hey no sorry...if there was any way i could send the song.. i have it on my computer

great song though
  • TheTreeTribe over 11 years ago

Dark-Trance
    if there was any way i could send the song..

you can upload to http://www.rghost.net

• Robostyx over 11 years ago

Robostyx edited over 11 years ago

Very impressive, thank you.
  • ur3shii over 10 years ago

Goa 89 - 08 is T.O.T.A.L. - Do It. 99.9% sure

http://www.discogs.com/TOTAL-Recall/release/1327553

16 & 17 are Manufacture - Little Caesar & Borghesia - Am I?. Not sure what the difference is between Rio Rhythm Bass and Bomb The Bass - Big Bear.

Couldn't find the Goa 87 tracks, apologies...
  • masen023 over 10 years ago

Meltdown23: How is everything going with the digitisation of your tapes?

Would love to hear those old tapes! :)

bom!
  • Meltdown23 over 10 years ago

[quote=masen023][/quote]
    Hi there, to be honest i just havent had the time lately to start, but will for sure start to sort through them, i have nailed down most of the songs now from the tapes with tracklistings etc, but have a few with no track id's so will start there first, will keep you up to date :-)

Good!! Im really happy that i started this topic... A really learned alot.

Keep this thread alive :)

bom!

lazerlegz
    if anyone can identity tracks 4 and 6 that would be great. track 4 in particular - i've being hunting for it for 23 years now and still no joy!

Going by year, music style(s) and track title it could be MDMA - Mommy. That's only a guess though.

http://www.discogs.com/MDMA-MDMA/release/582698
  • siolaw over 10 years ago

siolaw edited over 10 years ago
    Hi all...
    I had already seen somewhere on the web this mix called Goa87, supposedly done by Laurent...

I have listened to it, but there is no chance I had done this one... There are too many tracks that I never would have played, and also that i would never keep on tape for myself, such as this unedited version of radioactivty by Laser Cowboys and the silly cut after it... (I used to make good tapes!!!!)
    There are a few good ones on it though, but sure 1000% this is not my mix, way too soft and lots of singing on some tracks, and also very bad transition and cuts between tracks!
    So you can edit and just write "unknown tape!", else some gullible people may believe that was the kind of mixes I do!!!

I am looking for #4 (I played it many times, and it is not MDMA) and 6 (it has suspicious cuts in it ;D) in my files archive, no success yet, as I have to go through about 15OO tracks which I had played in Goa (guaranteed!!), and have in digital files... Having played sowhere around 10 000 different tracks in Goa parties, my collection has room for improvement

L.
  • marsh over 10 years ago

siolaw
    mix called Goa87, supposedly done by Laurent...

I have listened to it, but there is no chance I had done this one

Thanks for the update! So nice to have these types of things cleared up after all this time.

Hell yeah!

The best is yet to come, and won't it be fine...
  • PROJECT-2501 over 10 years ago

Im an old school goa trance DJ.
    Heres a link to one of my mixes..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=97fVcAjPNwI
  • PROJECT-2501 over 10 years ago

Heres another old school goa trance set i did.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qkp-HQT5qWs
  • Articuno over 10 years ago

-1 to both of them for spamming.

ITT the 80s/early nineties Goa sound.

Nice to see this thread is still alive!

The story about Macky from Milan?
  • lazerlegz over 10 years ago

[quote=siolaw][/quote]

hey laurent,

thanks for clearing that up - as i said it was rumored to by you and that only you would be able to verify if that was the case or not. i always thought it was a composite taken from a few different tapes of yours - hence the bad cuts - but evidently that's not the case.

i love that tape though - despite the technical faults.

would love to find out what track 4 is - as i said before i've been searching for it for 20 odd years.

would be great to hear some of your old 80's tapes too at some stage - especially those including your edits of tracks like 'hurts' and 'radioactivity.'

all the best,

dave
  • KristallMattheus over 10 years ago

lazerlegz
    would be great to hear some of your old 80's tapes too at some stage - especially those including your edits of tracks like 'hurts' and 'radioactivity.'

+1!!!

OK, I've been suspicious of 4 for a while, especially with all the Italo on that tape. siolaw, is it this one?

http://www.discogs.com/Mikrons-Vision/release/159330
  • Eugene.ru over 10 years ago

Eugene.ru edited over 10 years ago
    I have a particular interest to all the Italo / Space-Disco, Synth-pop stuff from Laurent's marvelous Dj archive, too!!

[In spite of his obviously critical attitude to the so-called "soft" & "sweet", positive commercial sound! ;)]

Like this: http://www.discogs.com/Thanya-Freedom/release/151675

...or that, for ex.: http://www.discogs.com/Banana-Republic-Lonely-Too-Long/release/1325802

ur3shii
    OK, I've been suspicious of 4 for a while, especially with all the Italo on that tape. siolaw, is it this one?

http://www.discogs.com/Mikrons-Vision/release/159330

man, so glad you spotted this tune. i've been hunting for it since i got the tape back in 87. gonna order one now. many thanks.

Meltdown23
    further to a conversaton i had with lazerlegs i still have most of my old casettes from goa which kinda start in 90 and go all the way to 94, so totally capturing these important music changing years.i have Ray tapes. gil tapes, ollie tapes, andy tapes, yentz and axel im going thru them now, ive found one which has no tracklisting(shame) but i seriously think it might be laurent, but cant confirm this, but its excellent and from 91 the proto trance period, when these tapes have been digitised i will post them for posterity.. Bom

hey nick,

did you get round to digitising these tapes? be interested to hear them, especially those from yentz - i always liked his sound - especially the morning tracks he would choose.

cheers,

dave
  • Meltdown23 over 10 years ago

[quote=lazerlegz][/quote]

Hi Dave, i have to admit ive been very slack on sorting the cassettes owing in some part to discovering most of the songs on youtube and elsewhere, but for sure have a few yentz tapes without id,s, i will get on the case and have a relisten asap and check the quality, watch this space :-)) Nick