• Lanciferion 3 months ago

Ok, so I am not gonna lie here. I am starting to get desperate. I just tried winning this cd
    on Ebay, and once again barely lost to 1 bidder. I do not want to pay some crazy price
    for this cd, but I am willing to go up to 45 dollars for a copy. Are there any takers? Does
    anyone have a spare copy they would be willing to part with?? I would probably shell
    out 50 dollars postpaid via first class to the states. The copies for sale on here now are
    mostly overpriced, and not all are in very good condition. I need at least a solid VG+
    copy with no indentations on the sleeve or major marks on the cd. I look forward to any
    replies. Just send them to my Discogs user name. Thanks. Lance.

P.S. And please don't try to offer me a ton of FAX cd's, cause I already own most of them.
    I just need this one for now.

https://www.discogs.com/Music-To-Films-Music-To-Films/release/45948
  • Kracker 3 months ago

Kracker edited 3 months ago
    45 dollars is a lot to ask for. I thought there was a time when the price went down to about that range but even 15-20 years ago, the price was still double that for a near mint copy
  • Lanciferion 3 months ago

Why? There are 1,000 copies made? Not that rare.
  • Kracker 3 months ago

yeah a lot of FAX releases are super rare (it fluctuates through the years quite frankly) despite the count. I was in your shoes long long ago and even back then it was hard to come by.
  • Azol 3 months ago

Median price on Discogs for this release seems to be $54.05 as of today. Not very expensive when you compare it to "holy cow" releases like Air, I.F., Silence, The Putney etc.
  • player 3 months ago

player edited 3 months ago
    I re-bought mines a little while back for £50 I think! So you’re getting a decent going price, and I’ll grab it if I was you. I don’t think the prices will come down!!
  • gandolfito63 3 months ago

gandolfito63 edited 3 months ago
    Are you sure that 1000 copies were made? I think it's a 500 copies release.I will check that anyway....
    Music to Films was one of the last Fax Cds of the mid nineties I could buy,due to its high price.At a certain time I was kind of a bit obsessed with it.I finally bought it in Mint condition from Namlook the very first night he was selling here (he only sold 2 or 3 copies and it was over) ,paying 45 eur for it if I remember well.A bit later I sold it (big mistake!) and it took me some years to find a good copy (VG+) for a decent price, 30 eur.
    So in my experience it's a very elusive one. Like Kracker says, many years ago its price was already clearly above those 45 USD.
    Nevertheless I would gladly sell my copy for your price (since some years I'm not anymore a Fax-collector,keeping just the essential for me) if not because Music to Films is in my top-20 Fax releases,I like it too much to get rid of it.
    Wish you best lack, I perfectly know the feeling losing at ebay again and again and again for the same Cd always by just one bidder!
  • player 3 months ago

player edited 3 months ago
    I did that then regretted years later! I originally had them, sold them, only to re-buy them back - some quiet recent and at higher cost including albums I never liked back then, including: Cynmatic Scan, Sad World, Datacide, Bedroom, Atom Heart Live @ I/S/C, Sultan, Outland, Atom Heart ‘Orange’, and even Music To Films; plus others...you certainly can end up regretting it at a much later date, like I did, and what you could be your last chance to now owning the originals!

gandolfito63
    Nevertheless I would gladly sell my copy for your price (since some years I'm not anymore a Fax-collector,keeping just the essential for me)

I just checked about the limitation and it is what I though:
    According to the sadly defunct site 2350.org it is a 1000 copies release but according with an old Fax catalog almost certainly homemade by Namlook himself (full colour laser-printed,spiral bound...I guess I am not the only one here owning a copy) Music to Films was limited to just 500 copies,so......
    What I know 100% is that it has been ALWAYS very scarse and expensive.Therefore I give full credit to that catalog.
    You can find more limitation divergences between the 2350 site and that catalog here in the old Fax thread Recent Fax Limitations Discoveries.
  • gbanting 3 months ago

gbanting edited 3 months ago
    gandolfito63
    I just checked about the limitation and it is what I though:
    According to the sadly defunct site 2350.org it is a 1000 copies release but according with an old Fax catalog almost certainly homemade by Namlook himself (full colour laser-printed,spiral bound...I guess I am not the only one here owning a copy) Music to Films was limited to just 500 copies,so......
    What I know 100% is that it has been ALWAYS very scarse and expensive.Therefore I give full credit to that catalog.
    You can find more limitation divergences between the 2350 site and that catalog here in the old Fax thread Recent Fax Limitations Discoveries.

It was always my understanding that starting with Air II, all releases became pressings of 1000 copies.

the old hyperreal FAX site
  • jessfranco2 3 months ago

lovely album..worth the dollars but like lance says it has to be in good condition

gbanting
    gandolfito63I just checked about the limitation and it is what I though:

It was always my understanding that starting with Air II, all releases became pressings of 1000 copies.

I think we will never know everything about the real limitation with each Fax Cd. They weren't numbered copies so telling that this or that release is limited to just X copies has always been in the music industry an easy way to sell that faster because some potential buyers may be afraid of losing the chance to buy it brand new as it can be deleted very soon after release date.So I never take for granted any official limitation of any label unless all the individual copies are numbered.
    Speaking strictly about Music to Films the undisputed fact is that there are 2 first hand,very reliable sources fron the official point of view and whereas one says it was limited to 1000 copies the other says only 500 copies were manufactured.From there on anyone can believe what he better wants.

My apologies for the «full quoting».My computer went totally kaputt a few hours ago and from my phone I cannot quote partially,but just the whole text.
  • gbanting 3 months ago

gandolfito63
    gbantinggandolfito63I just checked about the limitation and it is what I though:

I think we will never know everything about the real limitation with each Fax Cd. They weren't numbered copies so telling that this or that release is limited to just X copies has always been in the music industry an easy way to sell that faster because some potential buyers may be afraid of losing the chance to buy it brand new as it can be deleted very soon after release date.So I never take for granted any official limitation of any label unless all the individual copies are numbered.
    Speaking strictly about Music to Films the undisputed fact is that there are 2 first hand,very reliable sources fron the official point of view and whereas one says it was limited to 1000 copies the other says only 500 copies were manufactured.From there on anyone can believe what he better wants.

A Fax +49-69/450464 press release stating a 1000 limitation seems pretty legit to me, but hey what do I know.
  • Lanciferion 2 months ago

Ok folks. Time to put this baby to rest. So, it cost me a few bucks more than
    I had originally anticipated, but I found a near mint copy, thanks to a seller on
    Discogs. I appreciate any people who helped me out, in other words, mainly
    gandolfito63 & jessfranco2 for his words. No thanks to one user. You know who
    you are. Got for 66 dollars postpaid. Sound ok? I felt it was fair. I am just relieved
    to finally fucking have this cd coming to me. Yay!!!
  • Kracker 2 months ago

That’s a fine deal for the near mint copy you were looking for *thumbs up*

Thanks man. I was surprised to find it to be honest.
  • gandolfito63 2 months ago

That's great news, 66 dollars very well spent imho, specially for a NM copy! Happy to know you got in in record time since you posted this thread.
  • Si_Matthews 2 months ago

Glad you finally got the cd Lanciferion. I rate this album so very highly, I've loved it since it's release and it made my all time TOP 10 Fax release in the Top 10 thread and number 3 in my Top 15 PS releases.
    Finding a near mint copy of a cd over 20 years old is also very good going. Enjoy :)

Thanks guys. I feel good about it too. And it was sent to me today. Yay!!
    Should have it in 2-3 days!!! One of my all time favs too.
  • foojar 2 months ago

The price of the CD is way too expensive for what I'd pay out, although I could understand why people would want to buy a good quality copy for their collection and it may even be an investment.

Out of curiosity, I searched to see if it was available as a paid for download, but couldn't find one anywhere. If there are only 500 (or 1000!) copies available What is the 501st person who wants a copy of the music going to do? They can't buy a CD, but may well settle for the next best thing - buy a quality download. However, if this isn't available, what next? Buy a pirate CD copy, buy an unauthorised reissue?, both of which may be of dubious quality. No. It's most likely that they'll just download it for free somewhere. I assume that this is the most common route that people will go for any music that is no longer available to buy.

For some reason, it would appear that most of the FAX catalogue and similar ambient music is freely available to listen to on YouTube., including Movies to film, either as individual tracks or complete albums. Because it is easy to download videos and extracted audio content from YT, I assume that this is the way that many people go who want the music.The quality varies, but often it is very good and I'm sure that it satisfies most people.

This means that money is potentially lost to the artists, but if the music is not available to buy elsewhere, then I see that is the artists problem. Obviously, not everybody who downloads music / video / software would actually buy it from anywhere if they can get it for free, but I'm sure that many would if they had the chance.

I can understand an artist not wanting to re-release a CD unless they are absolutely certain of getting the costs back and actually making a profit, but a more simpler way must be to make it available to buy online from such places as Bandcamp or whatever. There is an instantly available world-wide customer base and no risk of making a loss on any physical production costs. I'm not sure what Bandcamp etc. charge for hosting, but I'm sure that, if the music is reasonably priced, there must be some regular income coming in, however small.

I appreciate that some artists may not want to make their work available when there is no DRM and so can be freely distributed by anyone who pays for and downloads it, but that is little different to somebody buying the CD then ripping it and distributing the files anyway. One thing I can't understand is why there is so much available on YT anyway - it gives the impression that the artists are sanctioning the content to be on there.
  • foojar 2 months ago

Sorry, that post was longer than intended :-)
  • Bong 2 months ago

foojar
    One thing I can't understand is why there is so much available on YT anyway - it gives the impression that the artists are sanctioning the content to be on there.

It is possible to get royalties for music played on YouTube. Do a search for 'youtube music royalties' for some articles on the matter.

What I don't understand is why people upload the same music track that three people has uploaded before them?
  • foojar 2 months ago

@Bong
    I didn't realise that. I've just had a look at a few articles, and from what I can make out, it seems a bit of a minefield, with some sources saying that YT is a rip-off for artists, with one site quoting $64.70 income for 1,048,305 views ($0.0000616 royalty per view). Obviously, however small, this is extra income, but I assume that that is before any expenses, tax, VAT equivalent etc. are deducted. Also, it appears that they only get royalties where the video has adverts.