• gbanting 8 months ago

I was randomly watching a video on Youtube this morning about the space shuttle Challenger explosion and at one point then narrator says "nitrogen tetroxide oxidizer" and I immediately say to myself "that's from The Futurescape on Escape CD2".

https://youtu.be/4y37aRSn7Uw?t=16m29s

Has anyone else randomly identified the source of samples in FAX albums on their own?

It sure would be nice to have an online repository listing the sample usage in FAX albums. I often find myself wondering about sources.
  • WildDragon. 8 months ago

• WildDragon. 8 months ago

They have few info but not all samples are detailed, yet it's a nice source of information.
  • gbanting 8 months ago

Perhaps I am an idiot, but I could not find any listing of samples that Namlook pulled from movies etc.
  • phonaut 8 months ago

lots in Star Trek. Summer, Jet Chamber IV, Syn, From Within 3, Psychonavigation, etc
  • Jazzual 8 months ago

It sounds like there is an obvious sample of Barack Obama on Move D / Namlook's There!
    However, I heard it's not actually him. Anyone know?
  • Si_Matthews 8 months ago

Jazzual
    It sounds like there is an obvious sample of Barack Obama on Move D / Namlook's There!

The sample used in this track is from this clip..... go to around 4'38 secs
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TYqrXVNfYUI
  • armidge 7 months ago

Clips from Blade Runner are used on more than one Fax album. The first Shades of Orion is the most obvious one but I think also samples appear on Miles Apart (the artwork is taken from Blade Runner for certain, but I don't have the album anymore). There might be another one somewhere, too... I'd have to do a little sleuthing!
  • gbanting 7 months ago

The movie Total Recall is sampled in more than one song on PK 08/73 Sequential. Additionally, 2001: A Space Odyssey is also sampled on the same album "X-ray delta one, this is mission control".
  • Kayashi 7 months ago

armidge
    Clips from Blade Runner are used on more than one Fax album

Most obviously on "The Fires of Ork"
  • Kracker 7 months ago

Jazzual

Definitely him. And on the next track on There! "Reach For Something Better", that's from a sermon from his pastor, who wound up being controversial during the campaign.

One of my favorite obscure ones is "Everything is Under Control" which is from 1990's Hardware

and one everybody asks about is Fires of Ork's "In Heaven" which is Rutger Hauer in a 1997 german movie called Knockin' on Heavens Door where Rutger speaks the only line of English
  • gandolfito63 7 months ago

gandolfito63 edited 7 months ago
    Even the idea of naming the project "Shades of Orion" seems very clearly inspired on the (unforgetable) final speech of Rutger Hauer/Nexus 6 at the end of the film.
  • thirdsystem 7 months ago

Anyone have any idea where the space travel / new world discovery samples come from on the Move D / Namlook albums like Taygete, Raumland etc.? Sounds like it could be 1950s Sci Fi.
  • amoe 6 months ago

The most obvious one I remember is Escape - Atmosphere Processor, which of course sampled Aliens.
  • phonaut 6 months ago

thirdsystem I believe those samples are from a Farscape episode named "Unrealized Realities"
  • thirdsystem 6 months ago

phonaut
    thirdsystem I believe those samples are from a Farscape episode named "Unrealized Realities"

Thanks very much for the info phonaut. That’s interesting , will have to try and check that out. Never seen any of that series. Cheers.
  • gbanting 6 months ago

gbanting edited 6 months ago
    I'm pretty sure that the samples in 'The Heart Of Our Nearest Star' from DSOTM XI are from the movie 'Sunshine'. And having recently listened to the soundtrack by John Murphy for that movie, it sure sounds like Peter included samples of the music as well.
  • phonaut 6 months ago

Aside from the many S.H.A.D.O song titles appearing in the tv series trailer for UFO, I didn't notice the cover of Amp II (Red Stripes On A White Wall) toward the end of it. Here's a screenshot: phonaut.com/Amp2.jpg
    Also noticed that MoveD + Namlook XII "Space & Time" album's first song is called "Unrealized Realities"... the same title as the aforementioned Farscape episode.
  • gbanting 5 months ago

So I'm at a rummage sale last weekend and pick up a 1987 CD reissue of the 1976 Alan Parsons project album 'Tales of Mystery And Imagination' for $1. I get home and slap it in the player and immediately hear a narration that I recognize from the song 'Shadows Of Shadows' from the PW37 Namlook/New Composers - Planetarium.

I did a bit of reading about this Alan Parsons album and it's a pretty interesting story. The narration is by Orson Welles and it did not originally appear on the the 1976 LP release. Apparently it was sent to Alan Parsons by Welles unsolicited after the original LP release and it was only added on the 1987 CD reissue along with substantial remixing of the the original album. It's an interesting story. So Namlook must not have heard this track until the late 1980s at the earliest.
  • IHeartGaming 5 months ago

I just purchased a copy of Silence from our very own jdcapshew, and I'd love to know the samples used on that. The classic Silence narrator is perhaps a hallmark of Fax and the series. I recall reading that it was from some kind of meditation cassette, which I've searched for to no avail. The sample used on "Trip" is also interesting and reminds me of an Orb song called "Slug Dub", which I also can't find.
  • Kracker 5 months ago

Well, the samples on "Slug Dub" are from someone named Jean Sutcliffe reading a Billy Bobtail children's book for the BBC

Sorry. I think I phrased that sentence awkwardly. I knew what that sample was; it's just that I found the similarities between those two songs interesting.

I found the narration samples used on all of the Silence albums. It looks like I spoke a little too soon yesterday.
  • Kracker 5 months ago

And... what were they?

The album is The World in Our Eyes: A Native American Vision of Creation by J. Reuben Silverbird. Silverbird is the narrator on the album whose narrations are the source for the Silence voice. The first disc of the album contains the score and narration; the second disc is the instrumental score itself.

Sorry it took me a while to post this. I was chilling out to the first disc last night and thought that I missed one of the samples, so I went back through it to make sure that it was there.

I highly recommend this if you're into new age music. At the very least, it's worth a listen digitally just to hear all of the original narration, most of which was never sampled for Silence.