• emmebi_64 about 1 year ago

I have this release in my submission Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart, Berliner Philharmoniker • Herbert von Karajan - Symphonien No.40 • No.41 »Jupiter«.
    Tiltle has quotation marks.
    In the Community I found this thread https://www.discogs.com/forum/thread/409906, but there is no definitive answer.
    I think that in the case of the nickname of an internationally known piece of classical music (such as the "Fantastica" Symphony by Berlioz or the Symphony Pathetic of Tchaikovsky) we are in the same case of David Bowie - "Heroes".
    What is your opinion?
  • mjb about 1 year ago

The quotation marks are not denoting irony or a quotation. They are just offsetting the title in the same way as a dash or dot would. So it is not the same as for "Heroes", and probably they should not be considered part of the title. However, I do not really have a problem with making an exception for classical titles like this, where only part of the work title is in quotes. I'm not sure this has really been discussed much before. (?)
  • jsteincamp about 1 year ago

It's not unusual for a classical work to acquire a nickname that becomes permanently associated with it in the mind of the public. Mozart did not call his symphony 'Jupiter', but audiences have known it as such since at least the early 1800s.

Pieces with established nicknames are typically listed this way in concert programs, etc.—with most listeners knowing the the work by its 'common' nickname even when they may not recall the exact symphony or opus number. For the same reason, record labels often include the common name on the sleeve as it helps their customers purchase the correct work.

It's there for a good reason, and if removed it would both undo established practice and make it more difficult for users to locate the work.
  • clanc about 1 year ago

As on release as much as possible, I'd say, although I admit that the "quotation marks" rule is rather fuzzy.
  • emmebi_64 about 1 year ago

clanc
    As on release as much as possible, I'd say, although I admit that the "quotation marks" rule is rather fuzzy.

All version of Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart, Berliner Philharmoniker, Herbert von Karajan - Symphonien No. 40 No. 41 "Jupiter" have "quotation marks" although different, they should however conform to the release for a correct vote I think.

clanc
    the "quotation marks" rule is rather fuzzy.

For completeness I add the link of the guidelines RSG §3.1.5.
  • jsteincamp about 1 year ago

In these cases the quotation punctuation is used because the nickname is not actually part of the formal name of the work.

Standard grammar has us covered: it’s Ken ‘The Snake’ Stabler, as opposed to Ken The Snake Stabler.

English, American English, German, French, and Spanish each have their own punctuation marks and style. Let’s not subject each language to a Procrustean solution where we force a release in one country to follow another language’s punctuation style.

As on release whenever possible. If the original used guillemets for punctuation, it’s better for the user if the Discogs Release uses the same.
  • Kater_Murr about 1 year ago

I would keep the quotation marks, IMO this is not the same case as for pop releases.
  • paskaloman about 1 year ago

Thanks guys for your opinion, much appreciated from the Italian community which emmebi_64 is one prominent member.
    This doubt is a bit of the question that often occurs between the discussions.
    Well, next question to be clarify if is quotation marks as "or <> or ', should be submitted as they are appear or is permitted only one specific punctuation.
    Thanks again for your support.
  • clanc about 1 year ago

paskaloman
    should be submitted as they are appear

Like this
  • paskaloman about 1 year ago

clanc
    Like this

Thank you clanc.