• CrazyCaleb 14 days ago

I'm having a "vinyl frame" crisis and don't have a second frame to put my vinyl in. The only place I have to store it is a drawer where it could rest horizontally and in the dark. Would it be bad to put it only one vinyl in the drawer and not stack them?

Thank you,
    Caleb Averett
  • _da_funk_ 13 days ago

Good you asked.
    It is strictly forbidden to store a single vinyl separated from the others, especially in the dark.
    Vinyls do appreciate the company of their conspecifics.

Cheers ;-)
  • CrazyCaleb 13 days ago

Funny. I heard that you shouldn't store vinyl stacked horizontally. I only have one vinyl I don't have a frame for. I just need to know if it's bad to put one vinyl horizontally in a drawer and not put anymore on top of it.
  • soulchap 13 days ago

Just a suggestion, but have you considered putting the disc in a temporary blank sleeve, or an unused empty sleeve (readily available at your local thrift shop)? Then you can store it along with your vinyl collection, vertically, or at a rakish angke.
  • CrazyCaleb 13 days ago

That wouldn't really help me with my problem. That's just one more thing I have to put somewhere. Thank you for the suggestion.
  • pano9000 13 days ago

CrazyCaleb
    I just need to know if it's bad to put one vinyl horizontally in a drawer and not put anymore on top of it.

No, this should not be any issue: after all, there is no other weight on the record, so there won't be any damage/risk due storing it horizontally.
    This is only can possibly become a problem, if you stack loads of records horizontally like that.
  • WildDragon. 12 days ago

Make sure the surface you put it on is flat. And put nothing on top of the vinyl. Also, make sure that the drawer is cool temperature, nothing too hot like near a radiator and you could fuck something up
  • Sal_Ami 12 days ago

And make sure that the drawer is bigger than the disk...
  • emptycyb1 12 days ago

The Drawer solution is a really bad one, as it's really a "Schroedinger cat" hazzard : if you put it in the drawer, it may disappear, or transform into a CD, who knows? And the horizontal solution also is a terrible one as I believe it is illegal in most countries now. I also hear that to play records horizontaly will soon also be illegal, because of hte vertical turntable lobby.
  • DarreLP 12 days ago

Yes, it's best to segregate your records. When they're together, they have a way of multiplying.
  • CrazyCaleb 12 days ago

Two LP's give birth to singles.
  • CrazyCaleb 12 days ago

Singles turn to 7"s, then 12"s. Ahh... Life.
  • WildDragon. 11 days ago

DarreLP
    Yes, it's best to segregate your records. When they're together, they have a way of multiplying.

... And your bank of account tends to empty itself as a result of that multiplying... Some voodoo magic!!!
  • jondavey 8 days ago

emptycyb1
    "Schroedinger cat" hazzard

Ahhh yes. Is it drum and bass, is it tech house, is it dub techno ? In Schroedingers drawer it could simultaneously be all of those.
  • Austin_Osman_Hoffman 7 days ago

When people say you shouldn't stack records horizontally, they are talking about piles of records - maybe 50+ in a pile. I have also seen no evidence that anything bad happens even if you do this, so it may be an old wives tale anyway.

But records are for playing, not putting in frames - if you don't play the vinyl the grooves eventually close up.
  • CrazyCaleb 5 days ago

Austin_Osman_Hoffman
    if you don't play the vinyl the grooves eventually close up.

You mean if you keep it in a frame, because otherwise, that's stupid.
  • Austin_Osman_Hoffman 4 days ago

Buying records to look at is like buying paintings to listen to.
  • Austin_Osman_Hoffman 4 days ago

And there has been a great deal of research suggesting the grooves of records get narrower if you don't play them. Eventually the needle can't get in there at all.
  • CrazyCaleb 4 days ago

How long and what research?
  • CrazyCaleb 4 days ago

Austin_Osman_Hoffman

I plan on playing them. I'm trying to get a turntable right now.
  • AMJacker 4 days ago

Following. This is good info.
  • Austin_Osman_Hoffman 3 days ago

Austin_Osman_Hoffman edited 3 days ago
    CrazyCaleb
    what research?

It has been conducted by the Secret Psychedelic Society and is therefore not available to the general public unfortunately. But I can vouch for it, the methodology was sound.

CrazyCaleb
    How long

Play them once a year and you should be OK.
  • Karl_Urff 3 days ago

CrazyCaleb
    I plan on playing them. I'm trying to get a turntable right now.

One of the best decisions of your life.
    You are on a good way.
  • Garfield2TheMovie about 24 hours ago

"Buying records to look at is like buying paintings to listen to."
    a painting wans't meant to be listened to but album covers are meant to be looked at. not saying you're necessarily incorrect but discounting packaging as part of the record entirely is silly.
  • Austin_Osman_Hoffman about 9 hours ago

And you are discounting the other sensory properties of paintings, such as touch - ever felt the brush strokes on an oil painting? I didn't discount the other sensory properties of a painting, just like I didn't discount the other sensory properties of a record. But primarily a record is to listen to and a painting is to look at, right?
  • WildDragon. about 8 hours ago

Vinyl groove closes up over time as much as the earth is as flat as a vinyl. We're living on a vinyl floating in space, held by a turtle underneath. We are the groove makers. Meditate on this.
  • CrazyCaleb about 8 hours ago

Austin_Osman_Hoffman

Not exactly, it's like buying digital music so you can look at the album art. If I wanted to frame that picture, I would have gone to a printing shop and had a picture blow up. The reason I bought the vinyl to frame is because other then looking very good, it has some value, sentimental and material.
  • Garfield2TheMovie about 4 hours ago

"And you are discounting the other sensory properties of paintings, such as touch - ever felt the brush strokes on an oil painting?"
    i mean you could do whatever, but it's unintentional and ill advised in most cases.

things you are meant to do with a record:
    see
    touch
    hear

you could like the smell or taste of a record, but it's not the objective of the work. with a painting you're only supposed to see it. unless you're talking about creating a painting with paint, in which case it's still a bad comparison because you don't make each record by hand with a chisel unless you're juntaro yamanouchi.