• olskee 7 days ago

Hi all,
    Recently purchased some records from Redeye and they took the records(J Majik's recent album) out of the main jacket and placed it on top of said jacket. As a result this has caused "damage" to said main jacket(due to the weight of the records creasing the jacket) that I feel would have not occurred had they kept said records in the jacket. Has this happened to anyone else and is this common practice when packing records? Bear in mind I had other records in this package too so I'm a bit perplexed they would do this unless this materially helps in squeezing space(but at the detriment to the structural integrity of said jacket). Am I valid in expressing concern back to Redeye or is this a First World Problem? :)
  • HandsomeZacksRecords 7 days ago

I ship a lot of records on a weekly basis and I do remove the records from the sleeves as this helps to prevent seam splits (the record itself cutting into the jacket). However, I only do this for single 12"/LP releases. I would never do it for double or 4xLP sets as I am aware it could/can cause the damage you're referencing. I would suggest sending Tom (at Redeye). They have the absolute best customer service and should sort you out.
  • olskee 7 days ago

HandsomeZacksRecords
    I ship a lot of records on a weekly basis and I do remove the records from the sleeves as this helps to prevent seam splits (the record itself cutting into the jacket). However, I only do this for single 12"/LP releases. I would never do it for double or 4xLP sets as I am aware it could/can cause the damage you're referencing. I would suggest sending Tom (at Redeye). They have the absolute best customer service and should sort you out.

That makes sense on the seam splits. Thanks for providing me insight on that. Will def reach out to Tom
  • olskee 6 days ago

Well heard back from Tom and he apologized but didn't offer any resolution. Basically acknowledged what you said about packing it that way to avoid seam splits. This is an unofficial PSA that if you order albums from Redeye, expect them to take the records out and placed on top of the jackets where the probability of creases is high. Not end of the world but it is what it is
  • leggyemulous 3 days ago

I bought a copy of the J Majik LP for a friend in the US and shipped it over to them with some other records. I would normally remove records from their outer sleeves too to protect them, but I couldn't do it in this case as it would have taken the parcel over the magic 2kg price threshold. When the package arrived it has obviously been handled badly as the vinyl had all come through the spine of the sleeve of the LP.

Ultimately I think there's more risk of damage leaving records in their sleeve than removing them for shipping.
  • nishihashirec 2 days ago

would do for a doubles, not for 4lp ... always a tough call, though