• deference 8 days ago

Part of the joy of the daily wantlist email is the amazing repertoire of sleeve notes so I thought we should collect the best ones.

Today I saw this:

“One label has been double printed which makes it look pretty cool.”

Because who doesn’t want a double printed label, right?
  • deference 8 days ago

Also “better than VG+ so graded Near Mint”
  • leggyemulous 8 days ago

Sleeve = VG+ - then in the notes "generic sleeve"
  • deference 7 days ago

leggyemulous
    Sleeve = VG+ - then in the notes "generic sleeve"

Discogs classic!

I dread to think about the wasted hours spent grading replacement house bags
  • PkayDubsaw 7 days ago

"brand new mint only played a few times"
  • deference 7 days ago

PkayDubsaw
    "brand new mint only played a few times"

SO many times \\\\\\\\\\///////////

It’s not that complicated is it
  • deference 7 days ago

deference edited 6 days ago
    “Played a few times but lovingly handled”

Which is also how I like my men.
  • deference 7 days ago

“ Small price tag/sticker on sleeve can be removed without a trace”
  • deference 7 days ago

“ HIGH GLOSS VG+”
  • deference 7 days ago

“ nice. cheap shipping”
  • deference 7 days ago

“ Shipping in March”

(It’s 9th Feb)
  • SamVariation 6 days ago

Track is 45 BPM, so your mix stays in time even if the record skips.
  • deference 5 days ago

SamVariation

It does? TAKE MY MONEY
  • traffic_cone 5 days ago

surprised they didn't try to add the double printed label as a new release. i'm surprised sometimes at the sort of thing people will add as a release variant - like an EP where some copies have the tracks on side B in the wrong order, and some where it's right, or a typo on the cover. maybe i'm just not a proper collector but that seems unnecessary for most dance music... and can make it easier to accidentally list the wrong one as a seller.

i mean i noticed that one new EP from last year has two releases - the original pressing in March 2019, and then when they released a few more copies it was added as a repress, with the date May. everything else the same of course. I mean that's just daft surely?

SamVariation

took me a while to even understand the logic there...

although...i definitely have a few 180 bpm records pressed at 45, and by the same logic if they skip they would stay in time, as 180 is 4*45...and my experience would say that does not happen :D

the one that annoys me every time i see it is from the seller marksclassics (whose stock is all at least twice the median price)

"Shipped immediately from a reputable company with a contact number. Don't buy from cheap sellers and regret it afterwards"

Most of the sellers who overprice stuff I think are just idiots, but with this guy its the fact he's actually saying his service is so much better it's worth paying at least double. Because you can phone him up. Plus it's slightly undermined by his 98.5% feedback - which isn't bad, but still probably lower than a lot of the cheap sellers he's disparaging :D
  • deference 4 days ago

traffic_cone
    the one that annoys me every time i see it is from the seller marksclassics (whose stock is all at least twice the median price)

"Shipped immediately from a reputable company with a contact number. Don't buy from cheap sellers and regret it afterwards"

Most of the sellers who overprice stuff I think are just idiots, but with this guy its the fact he's actually saying his service is so much better it's worth paying at least double. Because you can phone him up. Plus it's slightly undermined by his 98.5% feedback - which isn't bad, but still probably lower than a lot of the cheap sellers he's disparaging :D

Tbh describing yourself as “reputable” is a bit double edged anyway, it’s hardly an endorsement.

And what possible difference does a phone number make? No one wants to make phone call anyway
  • traffic_cone 4 days ago

yeah it's like running a restaurant and describing your food as edible - boasting about something so basic is almost suspicious.

to me the phone number bit is supposed to imply that he's a full time seller (and thus more organised etc). although it's a really odd way of putting it. i guess he's implying that his *business* has a phone thus making it more legit than some person with a full time job selling on the side (which i think anyone who's bought on here would know isn't true)

although one of the advantages of the part time sellers is they don't need to pay the rent by massively overcharging...I mean I know the overpricing sellers is such a stale topic but it is still quite amazing sometimes...for example: https://www.discogs.com/Dark-Deadly-Dark-Deadly-Vol-2/release/387372
  • deference 4 days ago

Lol, sleeve note “lovely copy” aka only copy available
  • deference 4 days ago

deference edited 4 days ago
    “ Mint. Played one time, only”
  • busta1 4 days ago

This seller is amazing with a lot of his notes!
    https://www.discogs.com/seller/r6rac28/profile every time I see this guys comments I crack up hard ahahahahah

^ :D that's a bold marketing strategy. i particularly like on a formation album: "contains all 8 plates of bullshit" and on another "no just no"

he has healthy contempt for both commercial d&b and punctuation
  • busta1 4 days ago

traffic_cone
    ^ :D that's a bold marketing strategy. i particularly like on a formation album: "contains all 8 plates of bullshit" and on another "no just no"

he has healthy contempt for both commercial d&b and punctuation

I love the notes they make me laugh hard
  • beat.marshall 4 days ago

best thread in years. :D
  • obsessionrecs 4 days ago

SamVariation

LOL LOL LOL ?

traffic_cone
    Don't buy from cheap sellers and regret it afterwards"

Makes me chuckle everytime! ... but not as much as "Genuine Mint vinyl never played check inside spindle ..wont clean to show original dust on grooves "

I love 90's dust, much better than 00's dust.

busta1
    https://www.discogs.com/seller/r6rac28/profile every time I see this guys comments I crack up hard ahahahahah

Amusing ! :)
  • 805dnbhead 4 days ago

[quote=busta1][/quote]

From one of his records for sale,

“old gear was ok back in the day”

LMAO!
  • djph-1 4 days ago

That guys listings are hilarious. Here's a couple you can use mate,

So shit, flys are attracted as you slide it out the cover.

This record contains more cheese than a french hypermarket.
  • deference 4 days ago

busta1
    This seller is amazing with a lot of his notes!

Fuckin lol! He’s not going to sell those anytime soon!

“what happend to fresh man tune was ok but still COME ON FRESH!“

it works for me in fairness :D least it's honest, and if i'm looking up the tune I probably like it anyway and would be happy to take it off the hands of someone that it's clearly causing some distress...

i particularly like "not about this life no more", that's sort of wistful. kinda suggests his taste in d&b actually forced him to re-evaluate his entire lifestyle.
  • deference 4 days ago

He’s got some absolute rotters for sale to be fair, think I’d probably reevaluate my entire lifestyle too

as someone into happy hardcore i'd be on shaky ground passing judgement myself :D

he should embrace the cheese, that's the true path to inner freedom.
  • panoptikon 4 days ago

traffic_cone
    98.5% feedback - which isn't bad

With the number of sales that guy has, it is actually pretty bad.

Well...what i mean by that is that out of context i guess that isn't bad. a 98.5% chance of something going well is alright.

But in the context of DIscogs, when most sellers have 99%+, then yeah it is. And the comments for many of them say that he wasn't repsonding to their messages, which is worse...because i mean, mistakes can happen, but if you're ignoring complaints you're definitely dodgy.
  • deference 3 days ago

“warped, skips“ (F)
  • SamVariation 3 days ago

59.95 GBP
    Media: VG+
    Sleeve:
    Decent vg+ only light marks priced to sell,
    ------------------------

Cheap as chips mate.
  • traffic_cone 2 days ago

"Played but in fine condition typical of a record that’s 26 years old!"

one you see variations of occasionally, which really means nothing...
  • deference 2 days ago

traffic_cone
    "Played but in fine condition typical of a record that’s 26 years old!"

one you see variations of occasionally, which really means nothing...

Surely this just means AVOID lol
  • deference 2 days ago

SamVariation
    59.95 GBP
    Media: VG+
    Sleeve:
    Decent vg+ only light marks priced to sell,
    ------------------------

Cheap as chips mate.

Priced to sell is CLASSIC.

I much prefer it to priced not to sell, which you have to assume no one does
  • traffic_cone 2 days ago

Judging by the number of sellers trying to sell stuff for triple the going rate, or brand new releases you can still buy for £35 - I think a lot of people are, they just don't know it :D In fact today I saw someone selling the DIgital Pressure EP on Juice Box - going for around 40ish on average - for £140. but wait - it's a G+ copy which has a skip in it. I'll take three!

What bugs me about "priced to sell" is - we can see the price mate, we can work it out. It's like trying to sell something by saying "hey, it's cheap!" and hoping that the power of suggestion will do the rest.
  • deference 2 days ago

Yeah £140 should be labelled ‘priced to extort’ for that one
  • deference 2 days ago

“Hairline marks and scuffs over both sides, one small feel-able scratch 1/5 way into aa side- causes one skip when played. Otherwise in good playable condition. Sleeve is slightly ripped and knocked”

£140