• j90s 12 days ago

are?
    (Message must be more than 10 characters long.)
  • justbrew 12 days ago

Big foot (Sasquatch), the Abominable snowman and my dog after a wet walk.
  • j90s 12 days ago

serial killer which leaves his wallet and a big bogey at his murder scene?
  • djph-1 12 days ago

Attention by Dj Taktix. Actually makes me laugh out loud when it drops
  • traffic_cone 12 days ago

to be honest, the most accurate example for me is probably one of the many unremarkable generic techy tunes I've heard at raves over the years. even the most obnoxious jump up at least has some character - I'll take cheesy or even annoying over boring any day.

that said...I do have a strong aversion to "Bad Ass". I hate that tune, it's such a disappointment when it drops. And I would also say that I hate "Quest" as well - just a slightly more muted version of the same idea, and just as shit (imo). That might be controversial - I know some consider that record to be the pinnacle of d&b. :/ Oh and I don't like "Chopper" either.

this is probably a good shout for a particullarly bad one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8XgtUlOa3dQ - B side "jungle" remix by a non jungle producer (and you can tell).
  • Skott 12 days ago

traffic_cone
    Bad Ass

Fully agree. Fucking hated the tune the moment I heard it. And its was spun out way too often in the late 90's. Just a vibe killer all the way.
  • j90s 12 days ago

traffic_cone
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8XgtUlOa3dQ

paaahahah i am a noob but 3 seconds of this are enouhg to vomit over my keyboard
  • j90s 12 days ago

djph-1
    Attention by Dj Taktix

i say the usage of the samples are somehow inappropriate. it feels like patchwork rug from fucking ikea
  • j90s 12 days ago

this is just an example from a different genre. oliver lieb is trance. tiesto is not. but calls himself trance.
  • sonarsghost 12 days ago

Peshay - Miles From Home
    Glenn Miller Two Step poop
  • poldekh 11 days ago

body rock.....fuck that clown bullshit!
  • pointblnk 11 days ago

I remember a period around 1995 when many of the London pirates seemed to be playing Dread Bass clones. I think I became quite bored with jungle around that time.

Compared with the fertility of 1993/1994 where there were so many scatty and crazy tracks, as jungle emerged from hardcore, it seemed a backwards step.

Of course, there were obviously loads of great tracks released in 1995. But it seemed liked some of the pirates really focused on a singular style. And radio was where I heard most new music as a teenager.

A similar thing happened with the tech-step sound. I loved it at first. Then grew bored of the identikit tracks very quickly. So in summary I guess it wasn't the individual tracks, just the lack of diversity that bugged me.
  • sonarsghost 11 days ago

The above sentiment was also aired in magazine reviews for clones of Source Direct Amen/pad/808 bass/R2D2 bleeps in 95. It was cloning generally that created the fatigue.
    It seems everyone, the punters included, just got bored with the rinsing, but somehow the answer seemed to be 'make the beats more boring' which always puzzled me. At Reinforced at the time we were saying 'include different breaks and tempos and influences' but that didn't really catch on...and if they wanted a different tempo they moved on to Garage or into Trip Hop or back into Hip Hop. People couldn't ever really except it all being mixed together.
  • ThunderingMantis 11 days ago

Jonny L - Synkronize
    TC - Rockstar
  • traffic_cone 11 days ago

sonarsghost
    somehow the answer seemed to be 'make the beats more boring' which always puzzled me.

i mean for dancefloor based music I do think that makes sense - i can see why more elaborately chopped drums would have less appeal for most ravers. and I would imagine the first tunes around then that were simpler would have had a big impact on the dancefloor. like the "hardstep" stuff.

whereas the next step for the scatty drums would be stuff like Luke Vibert's Plug EPs.

pointblnk
    A similar thing happened with the tech-step sound. I loved it at first. Then grew bored of the identikit tracks very quickly. So in summary I guess it wasn't the individual tracks, just the lack of diversity that bugged me.

there was a more adventurous side of that sound, on labels like Position Chrome, High Octane, Ambush, Amputate, DHR, Ghetto Safari, Praxis - what would know be known as early breakcore.

i suppose the longer electonic music was around, it was inevitable that the gap between the people who wanted dancefloor tunes and the people who wanted to find new territory was going to get wider and wider.
  • Step_Up 10 days ago

Step_Up edited 10 days ago
    Shy FX changing to Jump Up style.

“It was on hearing Trace’s classic, rolling remix of T Power’s “Mutant Jazz” that Shy realised he had to change his sound—mostly because when he first heard the Trace remix, he hated it. “I didn’t get it at all,” he says. “Speaking to Trace, just trying to understand, he told me: ‘People just want to roll out, mate! Just find a groove and roll it out.’ Those words really stuck in my head. So I started just having fun.” The result of this was a run of tunes that are amongst the foundation texts of grime. Shy stripped back his tunes to simple drum loops and yammering basslines that provided a relentless kinetic pump that physically forced you to move. It’s no surprise the sound got christened ‘jump up’. With bangers such as “Chopper Remix”, “Wolf”, “The Message”, “Raw Dogs Relick” and more, Shy gave DJs dancefloor bombs—and the MCs loved it. He had inadvertently created perfect beds to spit on, the throbbing energy in music leaving space for endless bars to roll over. Even as original junglists were moving on to the speed garage scene, tunes like “Chopper” were played everywhere: garage, jungle, even hip-hop sets, laying a beat for grime’s forefathers—the likes of Wiley and D Double—to perfect their art on”.
  • dart 10 days ago

poldekh
    body rock.....fuck that clown bullshit!

i've come around on that one, heard DJ Patife of all people play it at a pool party earlier this year, was kinda fun
  • Wheelup 10 days ago

ThunderingMantis
    Jonny L - Synkronize

How dare you! Sir Jonny will not be a part of this thread!
  • TARTARUS_DORSA 10 days ago

https://www.discogs.com/Distorted-Minds-We-Cant-Stop/master/400590

Rediculous. And there are so many of that period.
  • traffic_cone 10 days ago

Pendulum - Slam - starts really well too but that main lead is just so grating.

Twist Em Out
    Shadow Boxing.
    Mampi Swift - The One.

oh god and that tune Mr Happy - just because my old flatmate played it so often. ditto Sub Focus - Flamenco. (those are just the ones I remember by name)

as someone who never went to many d&b raves, I have a patchy knowledge of it - and so it's sometimes interesting to hear the big tunes in retrospect, knowing they are anthems. And a lot of the time, it's obvious - they are at least distinctive. sometimes it really is baffling though.
  • enrie-tt 10 days ago

That slippery slopes tune. FUUUUCK!!
  • sonarsghost 10 days ago

We did grating classics recently?
    Renegade Snares for me, heard it 4 times a night for about 6 months solid
  • ThunderingMantis 10 days ago

Wheelup
    ThunderingMantis wrote: Jonny L - Synkronize

Have you heard that tune though? Pretty terrible :-/
  • djph-1 10 days ago

Danny C - The Mexican

Utter pony. And trap
  • djph-1 10 days ago

https://www.discogs.com/Drumsound-Simon-Bassline-Smith-The-Odyssey-Body-Movin/master/439450

How to ruin a labels reputation in one foul swoop. Wobblier than a bowlful of jelly
  • CtrlAltWax 9 days ago

Wheelup
    ThunderingMantisJonny L - Synkronize

He's one of those guys, early career - absolutely astounding, awesome music. Many flat-out classics.

The later stuff? Shockingly bad. His 2013 LP 'In a Jungle' - give it a listen, if you can for more than one minute. It's hard to listen to.

Reminds me of Adam F, groundbreaking early music but later on it comes off the rails completely
  • CtrlAltWax 9 days ago

AI - Uprising (Dillinja Remix), truely shocking in every aspect. How to take a classic and really flush it down the toilet
  • DrumandBasstard 9 days ago

ThunderingMantis
    TC - Rockstar

not to mention that "VIP" version of that "P*rnstar" (with a woman singing the vocal)
  • j90s 9 days ago

there are some chase and status tracks i like.....
    but the rest, let us say 90%, are just capitalism chart pussy tunes.
  • Wheelup 8 days ago

ThunderingMantis
    WheelupThunderingMantis wrote: Jonny L - Synkronize

Have you heard that tune though? Pretty terrible :-/

Yeah, I don't mind it actually. It's certainly quite poppy but I think the vocal actually works pretty well. It's a bit like that Grooverider track, what do you do. Cheesy but has a certain underlying vibe that still speaks to me. They've both grown on me over the years.
  • Wheelup 8 days ago

Wheelup edited 8 days ago
    CtrlAltWax
    WheelupThunderingMantisJonny L - Synkronize

He's one of those guys, early career - absolutely astounding, awesome music. Many flat-out classics.

The later stuff? Shockingly bad. His 2013 LP 'In a Jungle' - give it a listen, if you can for more than one minute. It's hard to listen to.

Reminds me of Adam F, groundbreaking early music but later on it comes off the rails completely

I won't argue with that, he seemed to stop releasing much after around 2010 only doing a few bits and pieces digitally from what I remember. I get the feeling that he hasn't really focused on dnb since then. Hoping he will again at some point.
  • TARTARUS_DORSA 7 days ago

CtrlAltWax
    AI - Uprising (Dillinja Remix), truely shocking in every aspect. How to take a classic and really flush it down the toilet

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1UINxzCkaTo

Outsch. Wasn't aware of that release.
  • djthumpa 6 days ago

Bassline Smith & Drumsound - The Odyssey is a wicked tune!
  • Mr_Geese 5 days ago

Mr_Geese edited 5 days ago
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t-ClytgwYKE

i'll also add any benny page tune into the mix, i hate to be a hater but they fucking suck
  • MickyRuff 5 days ago

Maybe someone could do the worst of the worst mix, basically playing a set of the worst tracks in this thread, as voted on by the members.

It could be therapeutic or even coercive.

Just an idea...
  • traffic_cone 5 days ago

MickyRuff
    Maybe someone could do the worst of the worst mix, basically playing a set of the worst tracks in this thread, as voted on by the members.

i thnk there have been quite a few successful rave brands based around that very concept :D
  • fto-dj 5 days ago

Dillinja - Fast Car & Twist Em Out.

He's wrote some of the best tunes, yet also some of the worst!!
  • Mr_Geese 4 days ago

fto-dj
    Dillinja - Fast Car & Twist Em Out.

He's wrote some of the best tunes, yet also some of the worst!!

you know i've always seen it as the jackie chan syndrome
    i mean chan made some absolute classics like the first 2 police stories young master ect but the time he started making films in austrailia they were shit like rumble in the bronx who am i ect ect

and i see dillinja much the same way and jackie in that ok yeah i might not like the stuff but i'm glad he's out there making money or having commercial success and doing well because those first tunes he did or movies in chans case were so good you cannot begrudge them
  • traffic_cone 4 days ago

i have to admit I admire it when artists who are respected as pioneers or underground heroes make something cheesy or commercial. i don't think it's necessarily just money either - when you've already made plenty of deeper tunes, or experimented as much as you want - it's probably an interesting challenge to make something commercially popular, rather than just repeat yourself. and plus, making people dance is also probably more fun than just making purists happy ;)

and although i doubt this would ever be any artists motivation, the contrarian in me does like the idea of horrifying the purists :)

my favourite example in this regard was Marc Trauner aka The Mover - pioneer of gloomy techno and very much revered in hardcore - who ended up making a track with Scooter :D

and I have to say, much as I don't really like "Twist Em Out" either, I'd still take it over countless unremarkable techy tunes with no memorable elements.

(although I do quite like Panacea's bootleg of it, "Making Dillinja Bearable")
  • traffic_cone 4 days ago

here's one i forgot about...jungle remix of a eurodance track: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BQpzr2B30us - more strange than anything.

side note - i did also find this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hihIJQ7cw-M - drum & bass track by Sash!. it's not quite as awful as I thought it might be, although I don't know if I'd go as far as it being good.
  • j90s 3 days ago

MickyRuff

lulz YEAh and also with the worst dj gear!