• Sin-e-ad 8 days ago

Hiiiii

It would be lovely to hear peoples opinions or choices of records that have stood the test of time.

Which records wow you like they did when you first heard them, or in some cases, which ones wow you even more now than the first time you heard them.

One record that absolutely blows my mind is this little sausage by Zekt, especially the track called experiment.

The needle teeth guy got me thinking about early experimental stuff like praxis with his track Id last week, luckily this zekt number doesn’t suffer with the poor sound quality of early praxis, it sounds really big and chunky and amazingly clear to my ears, I’ve just bought a brand new one from important as mine was in terrible condition, Snap crackle and pop!!

https://www.discogs.com/release/38808-Zekt-Senseless

If anyone can direct me to similar stuff to this zekt guy, I’d really appreciate it, Mr cone!!….
  • Nekro 8 days ago

That's really strange, when I read this topic title I immediately thought of the same record!
    I remember checking the discogs listing once and being in shock that it was actually produced in 1993. It sounds like 95, so it was way ahead of it's time and still sounds fresh today.
  • traffic_cone 8 days ago

aren't all the posts on here about old records we still love pretty much?

as far as tracks that were ahead of their time, I do think "The Hunter" by Manga Corps has to be mentioned. Not because it's good (it might be my least favourite on that record) - but it is essentially a blueprint for the sound that came to dominate mainstream hardcore by the end of the 90s - screetchy synths in triplet patterns - but almost 4 years early. The fact that "War Dancer", one of the most abstract, dancefloor frustrating tracks of the time is on the same EP says a lot about Dr Macabre's abilities (i know Manga Corps is him and Manu, but according to the credits "The Hunter" is Macabre on his own).

The first Dom release also comes to mind - if it really did come out in 1993, the title track "Beyond The Ultimate" is quite impressive. Which might be why I don't think the UK DJs were playing it until 95.
  • LowEntropy 7 days ago

Seriously, which records / tracks that you were hugely into in the 90s did *not* stand the test of time?
    It's a bit like asking a Hitchcock fan, "which movies by him stood the test of time?".
    They're all timeless classics.
  • LowEntropy 7 days ago

Sin-e-ad
    If anyone can direct me to similar stuff to this zekt guy, I’d really appreciate it

The most obvious answer would be Lasse Steen of course, as there are a lot of similiarities in their respective sound, and they collaborated on some releases.
    https://www.discogs.com/artist/83817-Lasse-Steen
    I'd also suggest Brandon Spivey for excellent and very heavy Acidcore
    https://www.discogs.com/artist/88353-Brandon-Spivey
    Also, the rest of the Drop Bass artist rooster is worth checking out.
    https://www.discogs.com/label/649-Drop-Bass-Network
  • Sin-e-ad 7 days ago

LowEntropy
    Sin-e-adIf anyone can direct me to similar stuff to this zekt guy, I’d really appreciate it
    The most obvious answer would be Lasse Steen of course, as there are a lot of similiarities in their respective sound, and they collaborated on some releases.
    https://www.discogs.com/artist/83817-Lasse-Steen
    I'd also suggest Brandon Spivey for excellent and very heavy Acidcore
    https://www.discogs.com/artist/88353-Brandon-Spivey
    Also, the rest of the Drop Bass artist rooster is worth checking out.
    https://www.discogs.com/label/649-Drop-Bass-Network

Hellooooo, wow are you the low entropy who makes music?

Do you know if the drop bass stuff sounds ok In comparison to early praxis and early fischkopf for example?
    What’s the general drop bass sound quality like ?

Thanks
  • traffic_cone 7 days ago

Good in my experience. Wasn't pressed at the Czech plant that did most of the late 90s German stuff for one.

As far as acidcore goes - I mean look through some old threads you'll definitely find recommendations on here. Personally I would say - the first Agro EP, early Somatics (Sub Space Distorters, Dark LSD), early Freddie Fresh, System Shock on Red Tide (which is fairly simple 303 wise, it's just a great tune). Biochip C, the 303 Abuse/909 Abuse EPs on Shockwave, Mike Henk...Sons of Gundzo on Drop Bass is I think Lasse Steen and one half of Zekt?

I'm not as into acidcore as some of the regulars on here so they can add more.

And regarding Zekt - they also went on to make this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SICiRCJq73Q
  • Sin-e-ad 7 days ago

traffic_cone
    Good in my experience. Wasn't pressed at the Czech plant that did most of the late 90s German stuff for one.

As far as acidcore goes - I mean look through some old threads you'll definitely find recommendations on here. Personally I would say - the first Agro EP, early Somatics (Sub Space Distorters, Dark LSD), early Freddie Fresh, System Shock on Red Tide (which is fairly simple 303 wise, it's just a great tune). Biochip C, the 303 Abuse/909 Abuse EPs on Shockwave, Mike Henk...Sons of Gundzo on Drop Bass is I think Lasse Steen and one half of Zekt?

I'm not as into acidcore as some of the regulars on here so they can add more.

And regarding Zekt - they also went on to make this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SICiRCJq73Q

I’ll go through all of those you mention, also you were definitely right about that first DOM release Beyond the Ultimate, now that is before it’s time and a really good track at that.

I’m with you on the Acidcore sound, it’s not my favourite but there is some amazing odds and ends that I really enjoy.
  • Sin-e-ad 7 days ago

Also Mr Cone, I’ve been thinking, can’t we get you on mastermind? With hardcore as your speciality? 😂
  • Sin-e-ad 7 days ago

Sin-e-ad edited 7 days ago
    Zekt - explorers - second half ep - I’m really surprised this track isn’t in the same camp as Der Toten by taciturne…as far as terror kid popularity goes.
  • Sin-e-ad 7 days ago

LowEntropy
    Seriously, which records / tracks that you were hugely into in the 90s did *not* stand the test of time?.

It pains me to say this but probably the majority of the bloody fist stuff, it’s mostly absolute cheese 🧀

It’s like “Omg I said fuck and cunt tee hee 🤭”

Bloody fist in the ‘Parental guidance explicit content’ era of the 90s was the opposite of cheese in my mind, but these days I listen back to most fist stuff and just think “Cheeeeese” or “good for you, you said fuck and shit”

I listened to the whole appetite for destruction ep the other day and again I just thought “this is absolute cheese”and “kiddy music this”

I mean other than the Hedonist ep and Syndicate visions of death ep that label sucks to me….. which is strange as it used to be my favourite,

I must digress that I think your a little off with your Hitchcock analogy by the above reckoning.
  • traffic_cone 6 days ago

well done, that might be one of the stupidest things I've ever read on here!
  • Sin-e-ad 6 days ago

traffic_cone
    well done, that might be one of the stupidest things I've ever read on here!

I don’t see why, an opinion is an opinion, musical tastes are music taste,

DJ producer is one of the best hardcore producers of our time, yet I don’t like one song he’s ever made,

I own the majority of the fist catalogue, yet I’m not keen any more, that’s up to me

I once upon a time thought hangars / sodom stuff was horrible and loved my fist, now it’s the other way round.

I’d of thought out of all people tc you’d of been quite open minded and understanding of tastes and opinions regarding music.

I must say I’ve been reading your knowledgeable posts about hardcore for years dude here and other places, but this must be the stupidest thing I’ve ever heard you say tbf
  • traffic_cone 6 days ago

i don't mean disliking Bloody Fist. i'm pretty sure you wouldn't be alone, even within the people on here. I can especially see how that lo fi sound especially could sound worse from today's perspective - and if you don't like hip hop that counts out a lot of their catalogue.

but dismissing it all kiddy music because it has swearing, is pretty stupid, especially when the release you reference isn't even that sweary - i mean nearly half of the tunes are 93 style darkside breakbeat for one. and most of the sweariness in their tunes would be from hip hop where it isn't really just there for its own sake.

plus - there is a lot of hardcore that fits that description better than Bloody Fist!
  • -NeedleTeeth- 4 days ago

Sin-e-ad
    Hiiiii

It would be lovely to hear peoples opinions or choices of records that have stood the test of time.

Which records wow you like they did when you first heard them, or in some cases, which ones wow you even more now than the first time you heard them.

One record that absolutely blows my mind is this little sausage by Zekt, especially the track called experiment.

The needle teeth guy got me thinking about early experimental stuff like praxis with his track Id last week, luckily this zekt number doesn’t suffer with the poor sound quality of early praxis, it sounds really big and chunky and amazingly clear to my ears, I’ve just bought a brand new one from important as mine was in terrible condition, Snap crackle and pop!!

https://www.discogs.com/release/38808-Zekt-Senseless

If anyone can direct me to similar stuff to this zekt guy, I’d really appreciate it, Mr cone!!….

What did I do haha?

And to me Eradicator, Mouse & Auto-Psy on FISCHKOPF only got better to me as time passes... It's been my favourite harder experimental hardcore label for a good time since I am in this music. Which is only a low 11 years almost... And I always liked Surgeon16 but that only gets better with the day. Proper hard and dark, Great to fuck up other people's mood with,
  • Sin-e-ad 4 days ago

-NeedleTeeth-
    And to me Eradicator, Mouse & Auto-Psy on FISCHKOPF only got better to me as time passes... It's been my favourite harder experimental hardcore label for a good time since I am in this music. Which is only a low 11 years almost... And I always liked Surgeon16 but that only gets better with the day. Proper hard and dark, Great to fuck up other people's mood with,

Surgeon 16 stuff is actually a perfect example of my points, this was another label that I didn’t used to like but now I think is totally amazing.

I think you could be right about fischkopf being the best label, I like most of the records in that catalogue it’s just such a shame the early stuff especially sounds so bad.

I think I was a bit hard on bloody fist, and there is more than the 2 records I mentioned that I like, but I do retain my belief that a lot of the bloody fist stuff is a bit cheese by todays standards, a lot of the sounds remind me of a clown at a kids party 🎉 😂😂😂

I never was a big fan of bloody fist... I liked the artists but most trax on the label missed something for me. I prefer other amiga based hardcore...

But ''The needle teeth guy got me thinking about early experimental stuff like praxis with his track Id last week'' what? I can't recall what or where I said something about this please refresh my mind
  • Sin-e-ad 4 days ago

Sin-e-ad edited 4 days ago
    -NeedleTeeth-
    I never was a big fan of bloody fist... I liked the artists but most trax on the label missed something for me. I prefer other amiga based hardcore...

But ''The needle teeth guy got me thinking about early experimental stuff like praxis with his track Id last week'' what? I can't recall what or where I said something about this please refresh my mind

You asked for a track id Iast week that was an early experimental track from fischkopf from 1993 I think 👍

Actually looking back it was someone else who asked, I think your distinct cool name must have imprinted in my brain, you only commented on the post ha either way I was really glad of the post.

Can't recall that at all... My mind is really gone it seems
  • Sin-e-ad 4 days ago

-NeedleTeeth-
    Can't recall that at all... My mind is really gone it seems

Edited my post, my mind is going not yours needleteeth

Ow I think you mean Metatron's State Of Emergency on praixs
  • Sin-e-ad 4 days ago

-NeedleTeeth-
    Ow I think you mean Metatron's State Of Emergency on praixs

That’s the puppy, really cool little record, cheap to 🐿

Good music isn't always expensive luckily.
  • Sin-e-ad 4 days ago

-NeedleTeeth-
    Good music isn't always expensive luckily.

It’s getting really hard to buy this genre of music these days, the price of the records are just insane, every day my jaw drops with the prices.

The money in would cost to do a 1997 French hardcore-Speedcore set is eye watering.

The music is becoming inaccessible to people which is really unfair, you need to mortgage your house to put a set together, it’s really terrible honestly.

I am 22... I started collecting when I was 16 just before most went up to high prices. I got around 850 hardcore records of all sorts from the 90s mostly and a few are worth way to much. I am really good at getting prices down luckily
  • Sin-e-ad 4 days ago

-NeedleTeeth-
    I am 22... I started collecting when I was 16 just before most went up to high prices. I got around 850 hardcore records of all sorts from the 90s mostly and a few are worth way to much. I am really good at getting prices down luckily

Good lad, keep up the good work, a young fellow who knows proper music 👍

What do you friends around your age think of your musical tastes? Bet they think your nuts 🐿

Idk most of my friends are older... Most I have now as friends for longer time I met through the more Dutch gabber style parties and music. But I always was more focussed on rougher, faster and experimentaler hardcore. Among other music... My own record which comes soon perfectly shows what I am about.

Some like a bit of what I like to a certain extend but most don't get it that well I geuss... Saw Max Death, Traffik & Skullblower + Zekt last week btw. That was ace as I wanted to see em for years
  • Sin-e-ad 4 days ago

-NeedleTeeth-
    Idk most of my friends are older... Most I have now as friends for longer time I met through the more Dutch gabber style parties and music. But I always was more focussed on rougher, faster and experimentaler hardcore. Among other music... My own record which comes soon perfectly shows what I am about.

Some like a bit of what I like to a certain extend but most don't get it that well I geuss... Saw Max Death, Traffik & Skullblower + Zekt last week btw. That was ace as I wanted to see em for years

Wow tell me more about your record young man,

Also wow, tell me about this party, where was it?

Hit me up on FB as this forum space is cool and all but I am sure not all appreciate it... + Got to hit the sack as I have a early shift I think tomorrow. Drop your details and I get back to ya

FB/Facebook
  • Sin-e-ad 4 days ago

I’ll inbox you fellow, night night sleepy hardcore head !
  • HellBazZ_Davy 3 days ago

Mescalinum United - We have Arrived is an evergreen imo. Because you could just as easily fit it in a 2000s "darkcore" set, you can still fit it perfectly together into a new techno set, amongst all the industrial techno bangers.
    And the same goes for the Jeff Mills early releases, like Phase 4 especially.

Hardcore wise, probably Neurophonie and Amnestie International. There are so many tricks in these albums. They are like one long track that tells a whole story. Like an audio roman of cyberpunk.
    And it puts to shame many later "frenchcore" releases.

Epiteth Also. It's is probably not "clear cut" in the way today's Ableton productions sound, but Epiteth releases still manage to be amongst the most experimental that you can find in hardcore, with a nice atmosphere.
    But then comes to mind also Koney's tracks.
    And Hangars Liquides, although that was too abstract, Epiteth still stays at that border of danceable music.

It's all very personal and subjective of course. I just did nothing but sum up the sounds that Characterized the 2000s for me, musically.
  • traffic_cone 3 days ago

Sin-e-ad
    The music is becoming inaccessible to people which is really unfair, you need to mortgage your house to put a set together, it’s really terrible honestly.

only on vinyl though. that's the advantage of today, it's so easy to listen to an incredible variety of obscure music from many different times and places. or even to find out about them - back in the day I would have only ever discovered a fraction of the stuff i now love if I was just happening on it randomly in shops.

and yeah - whilst it is true that you could get records for £5 that would now cost you 20 times that...but that's if you knew the right shop that stocked them. and you knew what to ask for, or had someone in the shop who knew your tastes...and of course if the record you wanted wasn't already being kept aside for a DJ customer or a regular.

i mean don't get me wrong, I like having music on vinyl, but it's also not the only way I listen to it.
  • Sin-e-ad 2 days ago

traffic_cone
    Sin-e-adThe music is becoming inaccessible to people which is really unfair, you need to mortgage your house to put a set together, it’s really terrible honestly.

only on vinyl though. that's the advantage of today, it's so easy to listen to an incredible variety of obscure music from many different times and places. or even to find out about them - back in the day I would have only ever discovered a fraction of the stuff i now love if I was just happening on it randomly in shops.

and yeah - whilst it is true that you could get records for £5 that would now cost you 20 times that...but that's if you knew the right shop that stocked them. and you knew what to ask for, or had someone in the shop who knew your tastes...and of course if the record you wanted wasn't already being kept aside for a DJ customer or a regular.

i mean don't get me wrong, I like having music on vinyl, but it's also not the only way I listen to it.

Apple Music actually gob smacks me most weeks, there is some quite quirky stuff on there, the Liza n Elizez album for one.

There’s something inside me that doesn’t like that certain music isn’t accessible to people, I think that’s definitely a sign of the times we live in and a general theme of the future to come.

Imagine what the cost of just one vinyl set of this crazy music we love, I’d hate to be starting out, makes me grateful for what I’ve got.
  • fly_free 2 days ago

fly_free edited 2 days ago
    Sin-e-ad
    There’s something inside me that doesn’t like that certain music isn’t accessible to people, I think that’s definitely a sign of the times we live in and a general theme of the future to come.

Imagine what the cost of just one vinyl set of this crazy music we love, I’d hate to be starting out, makes me grateful for what I’ve got.

Do you think they pressed vinyl for free in the 90s? what you mean by saying "certain music isn’t accessible to people" is "certain music that is released only on vinyl isn’t accessible to people who can't effort buying it" but as traffic cone mentioned before: nowadays everyone with internet has access to more music to find and listen than ever before, on youtube alone, it's ram packed even with the obscurest stuff and getting more, depending what one searches for spotify and co are already enough or if preferring proactive listen going to bandcamp or scan discogs.

of course it is shitty for vinyl collectors that the prices go up for different reasons mentioned elsewhere in long postings more than once (a lot of the records mentioned here where expensive 20 years ago already if not fast enough with buying) but a semi world conspiracy against hardcore fans is definitly not in sight ;)

Sin-e-ad
    Imagine what the cost of just one vinyl set of this crazy music we love,

not sure what you exactly mean, but imagine something else that is a funny mindgame: take, lets say a early sodom 12" that is 250 limited (normally sold for ~10 euros back then by the label) and goes for 300 euros now. that is just one copy that would pay almost a third of the pressing costs of the whole release. now imagine that this one copies does not stay in someones shelf and get sold again and again and again over 20-25 years. and this happens happens with x records of the 250 copies.... now imagine how much money gets generated with that. wonderful isnt it?
  • traffic_cone 2 days ago

really a lot of it comes down to the fact that the people who were old enough either to be raving in the 90s or at the very least buying tapes - are getting older and have more income.

it's almost inevitable - regardless of the scene. I mean there's plenty of old punk records that were made as cheap and DIY as possible that now go for hundreds or even thousands of quid.

and also as I've said before hardcore is also a bit behind other genres in terms of labels dedicated to reissues or unreleased old tracks.
  • kixfm6 2 days ago

Going to throw my 2 cents in:

traffic_cone
    it's so easy to listen to an incredible variety of obscure music from many different times and places.

traffic_cone

100%. While CD and digital is my preferred format in terms of price and quality, I don't mind buying something on vinyl if I know there's a good chance it won't get a digital release. It also depends on what it's worth and if it has some value to me (I'd love to own a few of the Pengo 12"s even though they're digitally available). Shipping costs and GST to Australia gets expensive and finding locally available stuff is near impossible.

fly_free
    a semi world conspiracy against hardcore fans is definitly not in sight ;)

This gave me a laugh!

traffic_cone
    also as I've said before hardcore is also a bit behind other genres in terms of labels dedicated to reissues or unreleased old tracks.

Definitely. I'm hoping Essential Platinum will get their catalog digitally released. Also a shame that local DJs like Spellbound don't seem to have any interest in reissues despite the demand and rarity of his tracks.
  • John_Galbraith about 23 hours ago

I think the early Deathchants 94-96/97 have stood the test of time and still sound pretty fresh today. Those were way beyond their years.
  • Sin-e-ad about 23 hours ago

John_Galbraith
    I think the early Deathchants 94-96/97 have stood the test of time and still sound pretty fresh today. Those were way beyond their years.

I totally agree John, where angels fear to tread by 1994 standards was really advanced, to the point that ive always felt like it doesn’t fit in with equivalent year tracks of the same genre when doing sets, it seems to stand out like a sore thumb 👍
  • Sin-e-ad about 23 hours ago

Sin-e-ad
    John_GalbraithI think the early Deathchants 94-96/97 have stood the test of time and still sound pretty fresh today. Those were way beyond their years.

I totally agree John, where angels fear to tread by 1994 standards was really advanced, to the point that ive always felt like it doesn’t fit in with equivalent year tracks of the same genre when doing sets, it seems to stand out like a sore thumb 👍

Also just to mention that Hellfish ‘Boost the dose’ from the 2009 Back to the hip hop shit EP is my fave track on the whole of the deathchant catalogue,
    It’s probably the only instance where I like a newer record from a back catalogue rather than the classics
  • traffic_cone about 20 hours ago

i don't know if i'd agree it was that advanced really. the music was still changing so rapidly then for one.

it's probably more because it wasn't actually played too much in 1994. and Hellfish was still focused on Bogwoppa (in fact he wouldn't even have the name Hellfish then - that episode of the Simpsons wasn't until 96) - which could be why it sort of disappeared at the time.

in fact - the only set from 1994 that I remember it from is DJ SS, of all people. I'm sure he wasn't literally the only one, just based on the tapes I remember. that was when most of the DJs in the Technodrome still played actual techno!
  • John_Galbraith about 20 hours ago

traffic_cone
    i don't know if i'd agree it was that advanced really. the music was still changing so rapidly then for one.

it's probably more because it wasn't actually played too much in 1994. and Hellfish was still focused on Bogwoppa (in fact he wouldn't even have the name Hellfish then - that episode of the Simpsons wasn't until 96) - which could be why it sort of disappeared at the time.

in fact - the only set from 1994 that I remember it from is DJ SS, of all people. I'm sure he wasn't literally the only one, just based on the tapes I remember. that was when most of the DJs in the Technodrome still played actual techno!

Where The Angels Fear To Tread is 1994 sounding - it fitted with other Scottish and Dutch tunes - was meaning more the other stuff.
  • Sin-e-ad about 20 hours ago

Just my opinion anyway
  • Sin-e-ad about 19 hours ago

traffic_cone

I think I should of chosen my words abit better granted, advanced probably wasn’t the best description

The above is what I started writing, below is what I ended up with.

What it is about where angels feel to tread is that break down which I for some reason associate with something like say…certain 96 happy hardcore, it’s a sound I associate with tracks a couple of years later, I suppose then in that context ‘advanced’ may of been a appropriate description after all.
  • traffic_cone about 10 hours ago

no i get where you're coming from, it's certainly got more going on than just a hoover or 303 - and it's a much better constructed track than the tunes on the B side for my tastes too!

Where you can really hear the happy hardcore influence is Deathchant 2. Not the A side - but the tracks on the B side feel half way between happy and Deathchant. Like they might have been originally made for a Bogwoppa EP and carried over. Especially the hoovers on "Fuck Your System", and the middle breakdown on "Power Up".

Probably why most DJs stick to the A side - only heard Lenny Dee play "Fuck Your System", and I don't remember hearing "Power Up" on any sets.

I like both tunes as well, but it is fair that they probably don't fit on Deathchant!
  • glitchtrauma about 5 hours ago

glitchtrauma edited about 5 hours ago
    Atomu Shinzo (Atom Heart) Track 23 from 1992. Power noise acid with some of the most distorted breaks running under it. A juggernaut of a tune, frankfurt was killing it back then.

Pot cycl - Ion on labworks. Debatable if this is just very fast techno, but such a mental bassline with those dribbling sequences.

E-De-Cologne - Ein Bisschen Frieden. Proper hooligan plunderphonix in 1993! love it, all time fav.

Climax - relax (mental mix) hard trance as pure frictionless darkside outer space velosity, zooming through the cosmos!)

The Undertaker - Flatliner (Graveyard Shift.) some of the nastiest synths on wax, pure focused rage! Dare I say even better than all the nasenbluten we know and love? When the Dutch really did make absolutely mental shit that could shatter fear and loathing.

Vinyl Conflicts Own - Deathrow (it's technically jungle, but the flanged breakbeat and bassline sound like a mad post-punk groove that would have been conducted by Cabaret Voltaire or 23 Skidoo.)

Billy Bunter and J.D.S - Let it lift you (Vibes and Wishdokta remix.) almost classy hardcore here, especially at the end where grant nelson puts on his jazz fusion keyboard cap. an intriguing experiment of the time.

No-tek - System Crashed (tbf the whole of that ep.) unrelenting grinding machinery, nuclear wasteland textures, music for austere persecuted protestants.

Dual Mount - Magma on tesseract. Like what would come out if you put one of those obnoxious superclub cunts like Sasha or Oakenfold in guantanamo bay and held a gun to their head whilst giving them a frightening dose of lsd. Euphoria has never sounded so evil.

Somatic Responses - Dark LSD. Pure electrification.
  • John_Galbraith about 5 hours ago

Good description of Dual Magma there. Haunting and euphoric at the same time. Excellent track.

Played across the board from guys like The Producer, Clarkee, Scorpio, M-Zone, Mark EG, Fergus - a real Technodrome type anthem.
  • glitchtrauma about 5 hours ago

John_Galbraith
    Good description of Dual Magma there. Haunting and euphoric at the same time. Excellent track.

Played across the board from guys like The Producer, Clarkee, Scorpio, M-Zone, Mark EG, Fergus - a real Technodrome type anthem.

Yeah, was gonna opt for lab4 - reformation, but honestly it sounds kinda dated and overdone nowadays. But then I was never a massive trance person, there are bits I like and quite a lot I don't. I'm massively picky. The stuff I like sounds like being in an alien environment, in interplanetary orbit. rather than floating away on a smooth glide.
  • traffic_cone about 4 hours ago

i like a lot of that stuff that's sort of on the cusp of goa, but with just enough edge to avoid going full hippy.

although the king of euphoric but haunting is M.I.K.E. Push, especially his early stuff (Misfit Girl!)

glitchtrauma
    Billy Bunter and J.D.S - Let it lift you (Vibes and Wishdokta remix.) almost classy hardcore here, especially at the end where grant nelson puts on his jazz fusion keyboard cap. an intriguing experiment of the time.

I wish he'd gone down that route a bit more. This comes to mind: https://www.discogs.com/release/482544-Moby-Into-The-Blue - the "Uplifting 4 Beat" mix by Seduction (but engineered by him) - uplifting without the pianos being in full "hands in the air" mode.

glitchtrauma
    The Undertaker - Flatliner (Graveyard Shift.) some of the nastiest synths on wax, pure focused rage! Dare I say even better than all the nasenbluten we know and love? When the Dutch really did make absolutely mental shit that could shatter fear and loathing.

well if you read above Nasenbluten is kids music now :D A lot of the early stuff on Rave / Hard Stuff has a certain edge due to awful mastering. This is maybe the most extreme example: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yUaizEH58cg - there's a point at around 2:30 when the distortion just eats the kick entirely and it turns into this wall of noise (but with the rave stabs still gamely bouncing along in the background). would sound absolutely awful at a rave but I sort of admire the sheer insanity of it.
  • John_Galbraith about 4 hours ago

glitchtrauma
    John_GalbraithGood description of Dual Magma there. Haunting and euphoric at the same time. Excellent track.

Yeah, was gonna opt for lab4 - reformation, but honestly it sounds kinda dated and overdone nowadays. But then I was never a massive trance person, there are bits I like and quite a lot I don't. I'm massively picky. The stuff I like sounds like being in an alien environment, in interplanetary orbit. rather than floating away on a smooth glide.

I've honestly never liked Lab 4 - Reformation.

Just does nothing for me. Nothing stand out about it. Beats and some wee stabs and hoovers.