• Jayfive over 6 years ago

For what its worth I think the ability to discuss and vote on Disbugs tickets should be removed.

Why? Because its pointless. The amount of discussion or votes a ticket generates has what seems to me absolutely zero bearing on whether a suggestion is taken on board or shot down in flames. When it comes down to it its teo/nik/simfonik that get the casting vote.

Not that Im begrudging that you understand - its perfectly sensible that the people who run the site get the final say. But why create the illusion that the discussions and especially the votes actually matter?

Case in point - my 'no paypal fees' ticket - it was there for months generating a fair few dozen votes and plenty of discussion whereupon simfonik popped up, said 'no thanks, we're not doing this' and closed the ticket.

Fair enough, discogs dont want to do that, I accept that. But had I known that was going to happen I wouldnt have wasted my time petitioning for votes for the ticket when the subject came up and arguing my case in the ticket discussion.

Is there some sort of vote threshhold whereby if a ticket gets x amount of votes it automatically becomes the next ticket for management's attention? Because if thats not the case and its more than obvious that popular tickets arent more likely to be implemented then the ability to vote on tickets is utterly utterly redundant.

Couple this with the fact that features that teo and co have thought up themselves not mentioned in disbugs for obvious reasons get priority, I think i'd rather disbugs be a simple list of ideas and bug-fix posted up for the management's yay or nay and leave it at that than be under the delusion that its increasing the chances of the idea becoming reality.

Un-democratise disbugs! :P
  • silverleaf over 6 years ago

For whatever it's worth, I agree with Jayfive on this.

Also, I see comments posted by other users about whatever the bug issue is, but I don't see comments by Management about weather it's too difficult to implement at this time, not really a problem in their view, being worked on and hold tight, or whatever.

Am I just not looking in the right place on the bug pages or are there no comments to be found except occasionally in the Forum when folks speak up?
  • nerdfly over 6 years ago

Jayfive
    Un-democratise disbugs!

You got my vote LOL

silverleaf
    but I don't see comments by Management about weather it's too difficult to implement at this time, not really a problem in their view, being worked on and hold tight, or whatever.

It happens occasionally.
  • All-Day over 6 years ago

silverleaf
    no comments to be found except occasionally

Poor communication has long been one of discogs managements' biggest weaknesses.
  • Haze over 6 years ago

as above
  • julesparis over 6 years ago

All-Day
    Poor communication

oh come on, give them a break, there's a blog now!

All-Day
    Poor communication has long been one of discogs managements' biggest weaknesses.

To be honest, unlike a lot of people I dont particularly want or need to know if something if being worked on or when it might be added. It doesnt make things so any faster.

Between things getting done quicker or it being slower and we're given precise ETAs etc, I know which one I'd choose. But as it is it seems we get neither ;)
  • Curiopete over 6 years ago

Jayfive
    To be honest, unlike a lot of people I dont particularly want or need to know if something if being worked on or when it might be added. It doesnt make things so any faster

Betcha didn't know they were going to add the all too-important top 100 most expensive records feature.

It's not like they're twiddling their thumbs, eh?

Curiopete
    Betcha didn't know they were going to add the all too-important top 100 most expensive records feature.

Be fair, that probably only took 10 minutes to do :P
  • Staff 2.6k

nik over 6 years ago

I know that Disbugs isn't perfect, and I can understand some of the frustrations with it. We would like a better mechanism for this, and it has been discussed, but it is another thing to code / set up, and we have quite a lot of those already! It is worthwhile adding / commenting / voting on items in Disbugs, it does help see what wants addressed, even if sometimes the 'executive decision' is not to do it.

Any chance of letting us know what the next feature(s) we might see implemented might be?
  • silverleaf over 6 years ago

I'm not saying Management is doing poor job or that they MUST do this or that.

I have no time or interest in searching Blogs for what seems much better suited to be on a bug page. If it can be found or referenced on that blog at all.

Feels very much like talking into a dark room and wondering if there's actually someone listening.
    After a while many people don't have much interest left in talking to themselves.

nik
    sometimes the 'executive decision' is not to do it

Fine, but wouldn't that and a short 'why' posted on the page make a lot of folks feel better for seemingly very little cost.

silverleaf

Feels very much like talking into a dark room and wondering if there's actually someone listening.
    After a while many people don't have much interest left in talking to themselves.

And especially on here what happens is in the absence of information from Upstairs, people start creating their own reality - witness countless times over the last few years people saying that this place would be sold to ebay any day soon.

Silence breeds rumour y'see.

silverleaf
    Fine, but wouldn't that and a short 'why' posted on the page make a lot of folks feel better for seemingly very little cost.

In the case of my earlier paypal fee example, a 'why' was given - in that its not discogs job to police the policies of third-party sites. TBH I dont know if a more detailed explanation is the norm or the exception.
  • DakotaThrice over 6 years ago

Jayfive

Make a disbugs for it then we can all go vote :p
  • simcut over 6 years ago

Haze
    as above

lol, those 2 words bring back some memories :)
  • julesparis over 6 years ago

nik
    I know that Disbugs isn't perfect, and I can understand some of the frustrations with it

just a thought here, but going through the oldest disbugs every once in a while / closing as Won't Fix those that won't be fixed could alleviate some of the frustration

for instance, is this one http://www.discogs.com/disbugs/51 ever going to happen? if not, marking it as Won't Fix / Won't Happen might be helpful

there are even V3 disbugs that have either been fixed or have been made redundant 2 years ago with V4 that are still marked as New - http://www.discogs.com/disbugs/52 ...

• buddahs_records over 6 years ago

julesparis
    there are even V3 disbugs that have either been fixed or have been made redundant 2 years ago with V4 that are still marked as New

just a thought: maybe their status is depending on votes received.

who knows? as always we're here to guess...
  • Kergillian over 6 years ago

julesparis
    for instance, is this one http://www.discogs.com/disbugs/51 ever going to happen? if not, marking it as Won't Fix / Won't Happen might be helpful

Obviously a relic from the V3 days when we were still able to merge and whatnot...

Would be VERY nice to be able to do a lot of the artist and release related functions we had access to back then...
  • ccj over 6 years ago

excuse me. is there folders for wantlists like you have for collection?
    I want to track only certain things 'wanted' and only receive emails on those certain items rather than *every* item in my wantlist.

i found this, but it's not clear if here now or coming soon:
    http://www.discogs.com/disbugs/546
  • ccj over 6 years ago

not here either http://www.discogs.com/projects

can this be done now, or when's it coming if not on the projects/Pivotal Tracker list?

don't get why disbugs ticket 546 says 'This ticket has now been transferred to Pivotal Tracker' but it's not on there...?

someone pls explain why not on Projects list? So when happen if not. communications seem to be mixed up on this or something?

Why have you bumped a 2 month old thread for this?

ccj
    someone pls explain why not on Projects list? So when happen if not. communications seem to be mixed up on this or something?

Theres older projects not showing on the list of 'upcoming' - see example see that 'Make Offer Negotiations' one right at the bottom? That was one of my disbugs tickets and wasnt showing up until a few days ago.

It could well be the wantlist folders idea is below that. The projects page doesnt show every idea and ticket, just the ones near the front of the queue.
  • ccj over 6 years ago

Jayfive
    The projects page doesnt show every idea and ticket, just the ones near the front of the queue.

where do Teo or Nik explain this, as I haven't found it written by them in explanation anywhere on their blog or anywhere else; hence how are users supposed to know these things are *hidden* so users cannot see them and cannot have any idea when they are gonna happen?
    (for my future reference ;-)

why no wantlist folders anyway, when we have them for collection?? it was on that Disbug thingy from 2+ YEARS ago (very well thought out by user jimthing), yet still not here yet: why so slow 8-(
    Surely many people wanna do same for wants as collection items, especially for email notifications, as the Disbug 546 explained...

• jweijde over 6 years ago

There never was a guarantee that feature requests done via Disbugs would be implemented. It was only a tool for site management to keep track of actual bugs and get an idea for possible new features.
    So I think you need to adjust your expectations.
  • Staff 2.6k

nik over 6 years ago

Sorry, I did explain this on some closed Disbugs tickets.

One reason we don't show all the tickets is that the further away things are, the more likely they may change or get delayed by more vital projects of fixes.

We also have to balance a rich feature set against the complexity that that brings. There are a lot of good and useful ideas, but we can't do them all. Some ideas are bound to get dropped.

ccj
    why no wantlist folders anyway, when we have them for collection?? it was on that Disbug thingy from 2+ YEARS ago (very well thought out by user jimthing), yet still not here yet: why so slow 8-(

?

Youve only been here a few days. You did you used to be then?
  • seek over 6 years ago

Jayfive
    You did you used to be then?
    Please translate the Jayfivenglish for us, please.
  • ccj over 6 years ago

ccj edited over 6 years ago
    j5 yeah, i'd love to use them both collection and wantlist. but am not gonna bother til both are working with folders, for my own sorting reasons. too complicated otherwise to handle large wantlists vs. collection without folder sorting on the wantlist stuff

at least nik explained here the reason, but i do think that many users wouldn't realise older upcoming projects are not listed on it (unless they happened to read some of them old disbugs tickets which I presume are gonna be deleted soon, or happen upon this forum page)

why not add a note at bottom of the upcoming projects saying "older upcoming project items will publicly appear here when they approach 3 months of being worked on" or something similar, then everybody knows their is a hidden admins-only list they can't see

you could also do a simple bullet listing (either directly in the projects list or as a sticky in this development forum) of projects possibly upcoming so new and old users don't keep asking for same things in this forum that already have been asked for many times, with a "not happening" / "possible" / "future planned" or similar next to each
    then if someone re-asked for something, they could be refered to the sticky saying "future planned" or whatever

i'm new, so dunno if this has been done already, but can't find such info anywhere if it has

seek
    Please translate the Jayfivenglish for us, please.

Stop that.

ccj
    i'm new

Give us some credit, youre blatantly not.

ccj
    where do Teo or Nik explain this

ccj
    it was on that Disbug thingy from 2+ YEARS ago (very well thought out by user jimthing)

And this:
    http://www.discogs.com/Various-Classical-Brits-2010/release/2282287

Is not a submission of a brand newbie. A sterling job if i may say so. Now come on, 'fess up. Who were yer? :P
  • ccj over 6 years ago

ccj edited over 6 years ago
    J5 go away! you are being rude to other users like you own the place with comments like
    Jayfive
    Stop that.

- the date is on the disbugs ticket u idiot: http://www.discogs.com/disbugs/546 so anyone can tell it was from 2+ years ago
    - as are teo and others names here: http://www.discogs.com/help/about-discogs.html for anyone to see on ALL websites "About" page

hardly hard for newbies to find with half a brain. what is your bloody problem!

if I was some old user i wouldn't be asking what you call obvious questions for old users. jeez where does this J5 guy get off!

as for the sub, i just copied how the other Mail On Sunday releases had been entered, that's prob why it is "a sterling job" as you have put it
    it's not very difficult to sub anyway by just copy how others have done it. if so good why not bother to vote on it rather than waste time stalking new users giving "dickhead know it all" responses rather than answering questions asked, you self-important prick

BACK TO THE POINT . . . . .
    this is a question aimed at anyone (except for Jayfive to answer — clearly a bit of a twat from way he acts above, why is he allowed to answer forums while laughing at other people's expense on here I don't know)
    ccj
    at least nik explained here the reason, but i do think that many users wouldn't realise older upcoming projects are not listed on it (unless they happened to read some of them old disbugs tickets which I presume are gonna be deleted soon, or happen upon this forum page)

why not add a note at bottom of the upcoming projects saying "older upcoming project items will publicly appear here when they approach 3 months of being worked on" or something similar, then everybody knows there is a hidden admins-only list they can't see

you could also do a simple bullet listing (either directly in the projects list or as a sticky in this development forum) of projects possibly upcoming so new and old users don't keep asking for same things in this forum that already have been asked for many times, with a "not happening" / "possible" / "future planned" or similar next to each
    then if someone re-asked for something, they could be referred to the sticky saying "future planned" or whatever

i'm new, so dunno if this has been done already, but can't find such info anywhere if it has

re J5 response below:
    - NO you were not joking around, so don't try to pretend you were to cover later embarrassment
    - why (still!) answer a question when asked not to, from searching you tend to do this a lot, highly annoying other users in the process
    - why answer a question when you have no idea of the answer, because you are not site admin in any way, though pretend you think you know what they are thinking, giving a "it could be... " type answer, when you couldn't possible know.
    - hence ruin the question being asked, thus topic gets locked because of your highly annoying actions!

Jayfive edited over 6 years ago
    o.....k.

ccj
    J5 go away! you are being rude to other users like you own the place with comments like

i wasnt talking to you - that was a jokey comment directed at seek whom ive known on here for years.

ccj
    hardly hard for newbies to find with half a brain. what is your bloody problem!

if I was some old user i wouldn't be asking what you call obvious questions for old users. jeez where does this J5 guy get off!

Jesus christ, i was just joking around. I thought you would take it as a compliment that youve taken to the database and especially the workings behind it far quicker than your average newbie.

No need for the name-calling. No malice was intended. And im not stalking you.

Hang on a sec:
    ccj
    if I was some old user i wouldn't be asking what you call obvious questions for old users.

Where did I use the phrase 'obvious questions'? Fair enough, if you want to find offence in that post go ahead, but why take umbrage at things I didnt even say?

ccj
    this is a question aimed at anyone (except for Jayfive to answer — clearly a bit of a twat from way he acts above, why is he allowed to answer forums while laughing at other people's expense on here I don't know)

Where was I laughing at your expense? Where have you done anything that I might laugh at? More than anything I complemented an excellent submission. Which it is. Why did you think I was insulting you?

You look and act like someone who's used this site before is all. Frankly you still do. But be assured that that's a good thing. Im mystified by your reaction.

And I think I will answer your original question thanks:
    ccj
    why not add a note at bottom of the upcoming projects saying "older upcoming project items will publicly appear here when they approach 3 months of being worked on" or something similar, then everybody knows their is a hidden admins-only list they can't see

It could well be that that is how the software theyve brought in is designed. It could be that nik/teo dont want to inundated with msgs from people asking 'is this on the list? how far down?. It could be it just never occured to them

The idea i think is that /projects is 'what discogs is working on at the moment' so if its not on that list, it isnt on the way in the immediate future.

ccj
    then if someone re-asked for something, they could be refered to the sticky saying "future planned" or whatever

Its for that kind of reason that disbugs was taken down in the first place. "not happening" / "possible" / "future planned" were more or less the tags given to tickets on disbugs. Hence my original post about a ticket sitting there for ages and then being nixxed by management.

It better IMHO to know something what is happening in the short term than what may possibly maybe happen in the medium to long-term. False hope leads to disappointment. It also wastes time for users pressuring and petitioning and arguing about a feature that will never happen - such as my original 'no paypal fees' example.

Have to say since /projects came in theres been a drop in 'what is such-and-such happening'-type posts and threads. Thats not to say they havent stopped completely.