• dmitrirex over 8 years ago

I am starting to list a few cassettes and was surprised that Dolby was not on the scroll down. Is it OK to write that in to differentiate between Dolby and non-Dolby cassettes. So far, I have been writing them in but with a little reluctance ergo this topic.
  • loukash over 8 years ago

I vaguely recall there was a similar discussion months or years ago, but I don't remember what the consensus was.
    I'd say yes, as Dolby NR (or the lack thereof) is a crucial format attribut of every tape release.
    (And it should be definitely part of the format menu.)
  • JT_X over 8 years ago

Are there really that many non-Dolby cassettes? Are there Dolby and non-Dolby versions of the tapes you're submitting?
  • hafler3o over 8 years ago

Dolby is a noise reduction system, not a format of tape.

It should be noted, not placed in the format free-text.

hafler3o
    Dolby is a noise reduction system, not a format of tape.

As I said, it's an attribute of the tape format.
    At present we're dealing with even far more absurd format "attributes" than that - "Remastered" comes in mind. Is "remastered" anywhere close to a format or even to a format attribute? Hardly… :p

Dolby NR, on the other hand, is a similar kind of attribute as the "Copy Protected" tag, for instance: you can't play the medium properly without having the appropriate hardware.
    Thus it belongs to the format, as it's irreversibly tied both to the medium as well as to the content.
  • hafler3o over 8 years ago

loukash
    attribute

ok yes I agree with you now ;)

dmitrirex
    to differentiate between Dolby and non-Dolby cassettes.

Only add to the FTF if there are 2 versions of the same cassette (same music by same artist).
    Now anyone for a cup of Chrome Dioxide tape? 70μS or 120μS lumps of sugar with that?

[quote=hafler3o][/quote]

I may never know when I am listing if there are two different versions. A good example is that Columbia Music Club frequently released cassettes that were in non-Dolby in a Dolby edition but that I would know for sure if there was a non-Dolby version out there. I would just like to cite Dolby in the free text area and cite the type of Dolby it is in the notes if there is an added designation. So far, I have 4 listed as Dolby and 4 without.

Quite a few indie releases did NOT come out in Dolby as recently as the late 90s.

As for a previous thread, I searched under Dolby and none of the titles specifically described the issue.
  • 2tec over 8 years ago

How are you going to account for the different variations of Dolby: A, B, C, SR, S and HX?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dolby_noise-reduction_system

dmitrirex edited over 8 years ago
    [quote=2tec][/quote]

I would prefer to just cite Dolby in Format and add fine tuning in the notes. By citing Dolby in format, it helps remind the viewer to double check notes if need be. Also, there are just as many cassettes that just say "Dolby" as that include all the bells and whistles.

On a side note, I think anything that significantly differentiates an item outside of Artist, Title, Label, etc. should be under Format as a major aid to all viewing the product. Not everyone knows that, if a CD came out in 1985 from a recording made in 1983, that it would have to be a reissued product. While I understand the reasoning, I would love to see Clean and Explicit Lyrics under Format but I will just have to see that in the Notes.

Back to Dolby, though, am I safe to write in Dolby and add supplemental info to Notes or should I wait to see if there is any consensus? Will hold off on adding any new cassettes until I feel that I will not have to pay for it later with a Needs Minor Correction.

• JT_X over 8 years ago

dmitrirex
    Quite a few indie releases did NOT come out in Dolby as recently as the late 90s.

If a tape exists only in Dolby, there's no need to add it to the format. Likewise, if it's only released without Dolby. If there are examples of with and without on otherwise identical tapes, then put it in the FTF.
  • 2tec over 8 years ago

If Dolby needs a note anyways, why not just stick to the note? Or how about using "NR" for noise reduction of any kind?

As well, isn't the word Dolby a trademark? Can we use it freely?

JT_X
    If there are examples of with and without on otherwise identical tapes, then put it in the FTF.

The problem is that submitters at Discogs and elsewhere are inconsistent as to whether or not they even mention Dolby so it would be practically impossible to determine status of "otherwise identical tapes."

Looks like consensus will take a while.
  • rassel over 8 years ago

Here's the original thread: http://www.discogs.com/help/forums/topic/205653#2567989
    At this time we accepted the cassette lengths in the FTF's and nik changed the RSG.
    Somehow there wasn't too much enthusiasm about adding the different noise reduction systems to the dropdown menu, maybe it's a good thing to discuss this again, as nik's proposal still stands.

rassel
    Here's the original thread: http://www.discogs.com/help/fo...topic/205653#2567989
    At this time we accepted the cassette lengths in the FTF's and nik changed the RSG.
    Somehow there wasn't too much enthusiasm about adding the different noise reduction systems to the dropdown menu, maybe it's a good thing to discuss this again, as nik's proposal still stands.

Finally learned how to use the "quote selection" feature.

Thanks for your research - no wonder I could not find anything when I checked for Dolby. That thread was very interesting and I am surprised that the Dolby argument did not cause more interest unless it was because it was not cited in the title or buried in the thread.
  • dollvalley over 8 years ago

loukash
    Dolby NR, on the other hand, is a similar kind of attribute as the "Copy Protected" tag, for instance: you can't play the medium properly without having the appropriate hardware.

Are you saying that you can't play a Dolby cassette in a player that doesn't support the Dolby system? So any older machine that was built before it even existed? Or that that machine cannot play the tape to its full advantage?
  • JT_X over 8 years ago

dollvalley
    Or that that machine cannot play the tape to its full advantage?

This.

2tec
    Or how about using "NR" for noise reduction of any kind?
    As well, isn't the word Dolby a trademark?

Good point. There was also "dbx" NR on the professional market, among others.
    rassel
    Somehow there wasn't too much enthusiasm about adding the different noise reduction systems to the dropdown menu, maybe it's a good thing to discuss this again, as nik's proposal still stands

How about "Noise Reduction" as a general tape format attribute, adding the NR compression (brand) to the notes if anyone wants to.
    dollvalley
    Are you saying that you can't play a Dolby cassette in a player that doesn't support the Dolby system?

Note that I wrote "a similar kind of attribute", just to put it in context, contrasted to nonsense "attributes" like "remastered".
    Of course you can. Usually it will sound crappy though. (Consider yourself lucky if you can't hear the crap out of such a tape… ;)

Can't recall or find examples off hand but did some tapes have both DBX and Dolby or just DBX? Are there other specific noise reduction systems that came and went? Even on DVDs, there is Dolby Digital.

I understand concerns about Dolby being a trademark but it is universally accepted as a noise reduction and enhancement system for cassettes to the point where cassette players had controls for different types of Dolby tapes. I think that Dolby would be a more recognizable option than NR as a possible format.

dmitrirex
    did some tapes have both DBX and Dolby

You mean tape decks? Yes, I have one with DBX and Dolby B/C.
    "DBX" is from a different company: http://www.dbxpro.com
    dmitrirex
    I think that Dolby would be a more recognizable option than NR

But as has been said, "Dolby" is actually just a brand.
    "Noise Reduction" is what it does, regardless of the actual expansion/compression algorithm used.
  • Staff 3.1k

nik over 8 years ago

nik
    I'm wondering about the cassette type, it's funny there hasn't been a big call for this. I'm also wondering about the most useful shortened versions if we do add them;

Normal (IEC Type I) = Nor
    Chrome (IEC Type II) = Cr
    Ferrichrome (IEC Type III) = FeCr
    Metal (IEC Type IV) = Met

Dolby type B = Dolby B
    Dolby type C = Dolby C
    Dolby HX Pro = HX Pro
    DBX = DBX

If there is a big call, I'll see if I can add something, but otherwise, just adding it into the free text field is ok.

nik
    I'm wondering about the cassette type, it's funny there hasn't been a big call for this. I'm also wondering about the most useful shortened versions if we do add them;

Normal (IEC Type I) = Nor
    Chrome (IEC Type II) = Cr
    Ferrichrome (IEC Type III) = FeCr
    Metal (IEC Type IV) = Met

Dolby type B = Dolby B
    Dolby type C = Dolby C
    Dolby HX Pro = HX Pro
    DBX = DBX

Thanks, Nik.

A great many cassettes, especially the older ones, only say "Dolby." Also, do you think everyone would understand HX Pro to be Dolby HX Pro?
  • Staff 3.1k

nik over 8 years ago

It is probably a step too far, and is better just in the notes / ftf if the user feels like adding it