• djdom1uk over 6 years ago

djdom1uk edited over 5 years ago
    Proposed text to be added to the Discogs help page on grading:

Mint:

CD: Perfect. No scuffs/scratches, unplayed - possibly still sealed.
    Insert/Inlay/Booklet/Sleeve/Digipak: Perfect. No wear, marks, or any other imperfections - possibly still sealed.

Near Mint:

CD: Near perfect. No obvious signs of use, it may have been played - but it has been handled very carefully.
    Insert/Inlay/Booklet/Sleeve/Digipak: Near Perfect. No obvious wear, it may have only the slightest of marks from handling.

Very Good +:

CD: A few minor light scuffs/scratches. This has been played, but handled with good care - and certainly not abused.
    Insert/Inlay/Booklet/Sleeve/Digipak: Slight wear, marks, indentations, it may possibly have a cut-out hole (or similar).

Very Good:

Quite a few light scuffs/scratches, or several more-pronounced scratches. This has obviously been played, but not handled as carefully as a VG+.
    Insert/Inlay/Booklet/Sleeve/Digipak: More wear, marks, indentations than a VG+. May have slight fading, a small tear/rip, or some writing.

Good/Good +:

CD: There are a lot of scuffs/scratches. However it will still play through without problems. This has not been handled with much care at all.
    Insert/Inlay/Booklet/Sleeve/Digipak: Well worn, marked, more obvious indentations, fading, writing, than a VG - possibly a more significant tear/rip.

Fair/Poor:

CD: The CD (if it is included) may or may not play some or all of the tracks. See the seller's comments for details.

Insert/Inlay/Booklet/Sleeve/Digipak: Very worn. It may have obvious writing on it, it may be ripped/torn, or significantly faded, or water damaged.

Standard Jewel Cases:

Standard Jewel Cases are not graded as they are replaceable.

djdom1uk edited over 6 years ago
    Positive Votes:

a23
    andy-s
    8892sales
    djdeep4172
    djdom1uk
    dmitrirex
    Dr.SultanAszazin
    edcase13
    elizabeththefirst
    equilibriummusic
    Forser
    gandolfito63
    Kowa1
    lewisdene
    Melonote
    Mysticman
    Necromonicon
    Nerdfly
    praxis808
    reeferrecords
    ROBDOLPHIN66
    seek
    Seraphim
    SHILOH89
    Sinhala
    skivbors
    tankew
    vinalblair
    voxpop
    waitingroomrecords

Non-Positive Votes:

Edit: Deleted.
  • seek over 6 years ago

djdom1uk
    There are 86 CDs for sale, where there is no disc, just ‘covers/artwork only’.
    There ought to be a drop down selection for Media Condition that states 'No Media', just as there's a drop down selection for 'Sleeve Condition' that states 'No Cover'.

That's not a necessary addition to the grading standard; that'd just need to be fixed into the drop down menu for Media Condition.
    And it would serve both vinyl and cd; there must be some instances of sellers offering record album covers minus the record,
    just as there are (apparently at least 86) instances of sellers offering cd inserts/artwork minus the actual disc.

djdom1uk
    There are 139 items where the CD is marked/scratched but plays ok/perfectly/etc.
    Given that significant number, the Poor condition text should note that "some or all of the tracks might not play perfectly",
    as opposed to "most of the tracks do NOT play perfectly."
    "most of the tracks do NOT play perfectly" doesn't allow for discs wherein all tracks do play perfectly despite probable horrendous visible condition.
    It's liable to make some sellers feel as if they've to regrade their already-for-sale items.

• seek over 6 years ago

djdom1uk
    Just to save time and confusion, I think I will edit the text accordingly (using the same text as above for Poor CDs).
    That seems best, not having any distinction between Fair and Poor.
    The line between either grade is so fine as to be nonexistent, as evidenced by the cds graded Fair that are already offered for sale here on Discogs.
    There is at least one item offered for sale wherein the cd is graded Fair but in the comments, the seller mentions that there is no cd, as dom discovered in his research.
    Also, there are at least several offerings wherein the seller mentions in comments that the disc skips, or certain tracks on the disc skip.
    If the text is the same for Fair and Poor, then no sellers will have misgraded items, based on their existing grading of their items.

• seek over 6 years ago

djdom1uk
    I.M.O. if there is no CD at all, Poor is the highest grade allowable.
    Sounds good. Maybe the 2 sellers of Fair graded 'no disc' items can be contacted and asked to update their gradings.

djdom1uk
    thanks again Seek!
    You're welcome.

• seek over 6 years ago

djdom1uk
    Looking at the text above, wouldn't it seem sensible to include some spaces?
    Yes.
  • dmitrirex over 6 years ago

Can't recall if this has been addressed before but, what about Promo CDs where track listing, credits and other info are only on a label on either the front or back of the case. Would the case and the label be considered the same as an insert in that case (sorry about that)? Will this be addressed somewhere?

I almost hate to mention all the above because I am gradually moving a large chunk of my factory sealed Amazon inventory to Discogs because they value the case more than the media or the inserts. Discogs policy separately grading the media and inserts and not considering the case is rational, logical and the way everyone should go.

Can't wait to see all your hard work come to fruition. Looks like a lot of my VG+ would probably fall into NM under the new Guidelines.
  • ROBDOLPHIN66 over 6 years ago

Spaces between CD grading guidelines and inlay etc details make it MUCH easier to read and will hopefully avoid confusion by buyers and sellers.

• 8892sales over 6 years ago

ROBDOLPHIN66
    Spaces between CD grading guidelines and inlay etc details make it MUCH easier to read and will hopefully avoid confusion by buyers and sellers.

Yes, Indeed! Don't know why discogs never thought of implementing the same for grades for vinyl actually. But that's a separate topic..

• skivbors over 6 years ago

Still miss the grading : EX.

Otherwise good :-)

Best: Mats

• seek over 6 years ago

seek edited over 6 years ago

Subject: Re: Grading CDs: Proposed text for the Discogs help page on grading

Hi

While I think in principle it would be a good idea. I would prefer to stick to using the Goldmine Standard for our CDs, simply because of the work involved in changing our database & site settings, & the fact that we've had no complaints or problems with the current system...

Thanks Adrian
    record-box

• nerdfly over 6 years ago

nerdfly edited over 6 years ago
    Quoting djdom1uk quoting rbox:

rbox
    the fact that we've had no complaints or problems with the current system

Possibly down to the fact no one really knows what to expect?

*Fixed, and well spotted djdom!

• seek over 6 years ago

djdom1uk
    I feel happy with this as it is,
    Same here.
    My vote is 'yes' on this text.
  • zin over 6 years ago

Such a goog job, thumbs up for including this in the guidelines!

• seek over 6 years ago

djdom1uk
    Quite a few light scuffs/scratches, or several more pronounced scratches

You're missing a hypen in there:
    "several more-pronounced scratches".

The way you've written it implies several additional pronounced scratches.

• seek over 6 years ago

You can add me to the vote list, too. ;)

• seek over 6 years ago

seek edited over 6 years ago
    djdom1uk
    Done
    Lowercase, please. ;)

Danke!

• simfonik over 6 years ago

simfonik edited over 6 years ago
    Thanks, djdom1uk, for working with other CD sellers to reach a consensus on CD grading definitions. I've added the updated text.

http://www.discogs.com/help/mp-grading.html

This still needs to be tied into the short grading descriptions that are provided when listing an item for sale. I've queued that up in our development backlog.

Thanks to everyone who voted and put forward suggestions for improvements!

And of course thanks to simfonik for agreeing to add the text to the help page :0)

simfonik

Can we have the Insert/Inlay/Booklet/Sleeve/Digipak details on a new line please?
  • simfonik over 6 years ago

ROBDOLPHIN66
    Can we have the Insert/Inlay/Booklet/Sleeve/Digipak details on a new line please?

Yes. I've made the change.

simfonik
    Yes. I've made the change.

Thank you :-)

Update:

I asked for some underscore to be added to a couple of the 'key words' and this has now been done - so I think this is now finished - phew!!!

And of course thanks again to simfonik for agreeing to add the text to the help page - and for sorting out the finishing touches to it :0)

Actually the only thing that needs to be done now is to add the word 'CD' to the headline of the help page:

Marketplace - Grading Records

I only just realised this when I was trying the zoom in/out feature on my browser a few minutes ago (for the first time)...!

• techsoul over 6 years ago

I participated a little bit in the original discussions on "CD grading" a while ago, but after a period of much work, I almost forgot about it.

When I went to the grading help page on Discogs today (because I recieved not-so-NM CD, of course), I couldn't believe my eyes - CD gradings!

I'd like to thank everyone who participated - and especially djdom1uk - for finally realising this much needed info to be available at discogs. All your time spent on this is surely appreciated, mates! Thanks a bunch!

techsoul
    I participated a little bit in the original discussions

Thanks!

techsoul
    especially djdom1uk

You're welcome :0)
  • 9228289 over 6 years ago

simfonik
    I've added the updated text.

CHANGE AT Marketplace - Grading Records
    I now see this change for the first time.
    since I do not follow all your topics in forums I wonder how you make such important change without a PM to all sellers. Most topics here do not result in any change, so you can not ask us to follow all topics.
    Basically I do not want to follow any topic in this forums, and I feel the majority of discogs users and sellers do not at all read any discussions here.

please imagine,

simfonik
    (...)I've added the updated text.(...)

this factum in the middle of page 4 within an endless discussion!!!
    ANY negative buyer feedback caused by this lack of information is now in your responsibility.

please show changes, therefore we need the old text, and highlighted the new text (change took place 17. Mai. 2011)

also mandatory any kind of infomail to all sellers.

Thank You Very Much.
  • dmitrirex over 6 years ago

dmitrirex edited over 6 years ago
    Any idea when the CD edition will be a reality?

I have recently listed a number of CDs with light, relatively minor surface features that should probably be in VG but, because of "Surface noise will be evident upon playing...but will not overpower the music", I end up putting them in VG+ because there will never be any "surface noise" on the CDs.

The title still has: Marketplace - Grading Records

since I do not follow all your topics in forums

I don't think you need to follow all of the topics in the market place forum to notice something that says:

Grading CDs: Proposed text to be added to the Discogs help page on grading

It was one of the 'hot-topics' on the forum during May - 360 messages in that time means it wasn't exactly hard to find!

I did actually contact 200 sellers personally about this, the top 100 overall, and then 33 of the other highly 'ranked' sellers (meaning that they have the most number of items for sale) for each of the 3 currencies to ask their opinion.

I felt that emailing 199 sellers was enough to get a good idea about how they feel about the proposed text - and nearly all of those who responded were very positive about what I had written.

I apologies that I could not contact you personally, I had to limit the number of sellers that I contacted to a reasonable number!

The grading text for CDs is based on the existing G.S.S. - so it has not really changed anything about how anyone should grade their CDs, it is just that I wanted to have something in 'black and white' on here for buyers/sellers to refer to.

As the G.G.S. is for vinyl, it can be easy to make mistakes when applying it to CDs, so I decided that I something should be written (with the help and agreement of other sellers).

ANY negative buyer feedback caused by this lack of information is now in your responsibility.

I don't think that statement holds any weight, if you have graded something using the G.G.S. then it should be graded correctly according to the CD grading text.

If anything, the text is an improvement (i.m.o.) as it is shorter, and therefore easier to follow than the text for vinyl.

Obviously you can see this for yourself if you compare the two texts.

Regarding this:

please show changes, therefore we need the old text, and highlighted the new text (change took place 17. Mai. 2011)

There were no changes to the existing text - the CD grading guidelines were added on to the text - this isn't like an edit of a release you know :0)

Quote:

"Marketplace - Grading Records

Discogs uses the Goldmine Standard for grading the condition of items listed in the Marketplace.

These standards have been expanded by our community of sellers to include definitions of CD specific gradings."

There is a mention there, and a link for users to open to see this thread.

However, there seems to have been a delay in adding the CD grading text onto the condition definitions when you list an item - so I will contact Discogs about that.

If this had been done already, it would have been quite obvious to anyone listing any new items for sale that something had changed - so I can understand if you did not realise something had happened recently.

also mandatory any kind of infomail to all sellers.

I agree that it would have been an idea for Discogs to email everyone that sells CDs, but I certainly wasn't going to volunteer to go through every seller of CDs and send them a email!

I think 200 was quite enough to get a general response to the proposed text!

I find it is a good idea to read the forums on any site that you are selling on, you can learn things from other experience and also add your own (good and bad) to share with the community :0)

I am glad that you do read the forum, and found this topic - hopefully the text will help everone to grade CDs more easily than it was before!

Hi Dave!

dmitrirex
    Any idea when the CD edition will be a reality?

djdom1uk
    These standards have been expanded by our community of sellers to include definitions of CD specific gradings."

However:

djdom1uk
    there seems to have been a delay in adding the CD grading text onto the condition definitions when you list an item - so I will contact Discogs about that (soon)

[quote=dmitrirex]The title still has: Marketplace - Grading Records

I had mentioned this, but I don't suppose it is the most important issue that needs to be addressed.

I am glad that the text has been added, and the staff at Discogs were very helpful and responsive throughout the whole process!

dmitrirex
    I have recently listed a number of CDs with light, relatively minor surface feature

.[/quote]

It really depends on how many there are, I would say if there are more than 'a few' it would fall under the VG grade - VG+ means it has been 'handled with good care' so a CD with 'quite a few' light marks would be more a VG than a VG+.

Thanks again :0)

Dom

djdom1uk
    It was one of the 'hot-topics' on the forum during May - 360 messages in that time means it wasn't exactly hard to find!

this is too much for me, I can not follow endless discussions over many mothes you say 360 messages!? horror!

djdom1uk
    I did actually contact 200 sellers personally about this, the top 100 overall, and then 33 of the other highly 'ranked' sellers (meaning that they have the most number of items for sale) for each of the 3 currencies to ask their opinion.

the result is OK but any change or implementation has to be announced.

djdom1uk
    I don't think that statement holds any weight, if you have graded something using the G.G.S. then it should be graded correctly according to the CD grading text.

when you change something without telling the majority there is someone responsible when there follows "negative buyer feedback caused by this lack of information"

djdom1uk
    200 was quite enough to get a general response to the proposed text!

this is OK never talked about this

djdom1uk
    a good idea to read the forums

this is too much - endless discussions without any result. and so much changes without announcement. topics that get ready to roll out should be highlighted like Nik or Teo topics. also this will not substitute a infomail to all discogs users.

when you change something without telling the majority there is someone responsible when there follows "negative buyer feedback caused by this lack of information"

http://www.discogs.com/sell/seller_feedback/9228289

This has not caused you any problems, and now you are well aware of the text...

this is too much - endless discussions without any result.

Not in this case, or probably several other times as well - this website changes all the time, often as a result of feedback from users - or by Discogs deciding to change something themselves.

I can not follow endless discussions over many mothes you say 360 messages!? horror!

I don't think April to May could be considered 'many months' - and no-one (except perhaps myself) really needed to read all 360 messages.

I posted the proposed text at the top of each of the four pages, so everyone could see it - so really you just needed to read one message.

You can see the text at the top of this page, this is how it was displayed each time there was a new page.

I did this to make it easy for people who had just found the thread to see what was being proposed.

I hope you agree with the text, and it isn't a million miles away from your own interpretation of the G.G.S. :0)

the result is OK but any change or implementation has to be announced.

I have to agree with you there, and have suggested this.

dmitrirex
    but, because of "Surface noise will be evident upon playing...but will not overpower the music",

I understand what you were saying there now, and have also mentioned this.

The grading description text that appears when you list a CD should soon have the text from the help page on grading - for CDs, as it is a development that is in the queue of pending 'fixes'.

When this is implemented, it will help sellers to see the grading text - and if they were not aware of the 'changes' the link will surely enlighten them!

djdom1uk
    This has not caused you any problems, and now you are well aware of the text...

OK maybe you do not want to understand, I am not only seller but also buyer. So please give me a list of sellers who know as well as I do, so I will not buy CDs from any other seller the next two monthes. just because I do not want to have any trouble.
    Thank You Very Much.

djdom1uk
    really needed to read all 360 messages.

thank you, I took a look at this discussion frequently but then I left this topic. anyway when a buyer has to pay attention to all details again and again because changes may have taken place, and sellers have to do the same you feel this is better than pointing out recent changes, and send the sellers a info mail? also I do not know how to inform regular buyers.
    Also show me the part where it is written that we have read forums...?

OK maybe you do not want to understand, I am not only seller but also buyer.

Apologies if I misunderstood where you were coming from, but it sounded like you were talking as a seller - rather than a buyer in your comment.

So please give me a list of sellers

Most (if not all) of these sellers were invited to review the proposed text:

http://www.discogs.com/sell/list?format=CD&more=seller

33 of the top sellers from this list were invited to review the proposed text:

http://www.discogs.com/sell/list?format=CD&currency=EUR&more=seller

33 of the top sellers from this list were invited to review the proposed text:

http://www.discogs.com/sell/list?format=CD&currency=USD&more=seller

32 of the top sellers from this list were invited to review the proposed text:

http://www.discogs.com/sell/list?format=CD&currency=GBP&more=seller

And of course me:

http://www.discogs.com/user/djdom1uk

I have unlisted my items for sale for a few days while I update my stock spreadsheet and attend to some financial matters.

I will have around 1900 items for sale when I relist my stock :0)

I am not only seller but also buyer.

Me too, and my last two purchases from Discogs went perfectly ok - the second one was from a new seller who I bought 10 CDs from.

I was happy with the gradings given to each CD, and I didn't even ask if he had read the help page on grading!

If you are all concerned about whether or not a seller has read the grading guidelines, and the item/s you would like to order are indeed VG+ (or whatever) then you can always ask them!

If they don't, perhaps they have their own grading system or use a different one - I am sure if they are serious sellers they will be happy to answer a quick question and tell you if which grading system they use :0)

thank you, I took a look at this discussion frequently but then I left this topic

Ok, so you were aware that this was a 'proposed text' and that it at least 'could' be added to the help page on grading.

anyway when a buyer has to pay attention to all details again and again because changes may have taken place, and sellers have to do the same

Really, there has only ever been one change as far as I know - for 3 years the help page on grading didn't have any reference to CDs, or how they should be graded.

Then, less than a month ago - the text that I proposed was added.

That is it, no changes before or after (worth mentioning).

The text should stay the same as it is now, there is no reason why it should be changed or removed.

Unless for some reason there are suddenly many complaints about it causing problems for sellers or buyers - I don't foresee this happening though.

send the sellers a info mail?

I suggested this last night to Discogs that it would be a good idea for this to happen.

also I do not know how to inform regular buyers

You could always send them a message!

If you feel that they should know that this is how CDs should be graded by sellers on here, and you feel that your own interpretation of the G.G.S. is significantly different to the text on grading CDS then this would be quite easy to do.

However, if they are your regular customers - I am sure they know what to expect from you - if they buy a CD in say VG+ condition they know what they will get :0)

Also show me the part where it is written that we have read forums...?

Apologies again, I looked through the thread and couldn't find any comment that you made - I must have got you mixed up with another member who has a screen-name (or whatever you call it) that has 9's and 8's in it :0)

Thanks!

Thanks to Jason for adding the following:

Marketplace - Grading Vinyl and CDs

Discogs uses the Goldmine Standard for grading the condition of items listed in the Marketplace.

These standards have been expanded by our community of sellers to include definitions of CD specific gradings.

Did you know:

You can print this text onto a single sheet of A4 paper?

Just copy 'n' paste the whole text into a blank word-processing document, remove all of the original text (and the word CD) and just by selecting a 11 c.p.i. font (such as Ariel for example) and reformatting the 'spacings' you can have your own copy of the text in black and white to sit next to your computer :0)

I have my copy of a wooden recipe book holder (a bit like the lectern they have in Church for the vicar holding the bible) - ready for a quick reference if I forget for a VG+ should look like!

I may even laminate it, but wouldn't go as far as framing it and putting it on the wall ;0)

djdom1uk
    The text should stay the same as it is now, there is no reason why it should be changed or removed.

I know you want to hear this, all fine with this text! ;)

djdom1uk
    You could always send them a message!

I will not do so, this is against my buying behavior. and I feel it was not the goal of this change to stimulate me sending messages to buyers in the future.

djdom1uk
    "send the sellers a info mail?"
    I suggested this last night to Discogs that it would be a good idea for this to happen.

OK now discogs does not react. So we can organize a user self-help group and run such infomail. let us find lots of volonteers, find out a list of sellers...
    this will also take two moths, I feel I can wait with my shopping intents.

I will not do so, this is against my buying behavior. and I feel it was not the goal of this change to stimulate me sending messages to buyers

You mean sellers :0)

If you are buying something from somebody that you have never done business with before, and there is not enough information in the comments section for you to feel happy with ordering - it makes sense to ask them about the grading.

If for example, it is a valuable CD that you would like to buy, I am sure the seller would not mind taking a few minutes to reply to your message.

OK now discogs does not react.

I do not have any right to demand that Discogs does anything, I can ask if it would be ok to do this - but perhaps there are other more important issues that they need to deal with before this.

If after one week there is no message sent out, I can ask if it is going to be added to the list of tasks that are going to be looked at being added to their 'things to do' list :0)

So we can organize a user self-help group and run such infomail. let us find lots of volonteers, find out a list of sellers...
    this will also take two moths, I feel I can wait with my shopping intents.

There should be no need to do this, after all - would you treat a message from a random Discogs member in the same way as an official email?

Maybe a lot of members would just delete it without reading the contents!

djdom1uk
    I looked through the thread and couldn't find any comment that you made

as I told you, endless discussions without any change....
    http://www.discogs.com/help/forums/topic/230683#2841848
  • ahlbomper over 6 years ago

OK now discogs does not react. So we can organize a user self-help group and run such infomail. let us find lots of volonteers, find out a list of sellers...

is that sarcasm ?

but it was a good point i think 922 brought up, for discogs to send a message to all who sell (at least those who are already selling cd's).
    actually, maybe it would be good to send a message to all discogs members about the cd gradings being added (some might then also look at the grading page for the 1st time, if there's a link to the grading page in the message)

ahlbomper
    good point i think 922 brought up, for discogs to send a message to all who sell

That is a good idea, though it also a good idea to not enter into any kind of discussion with 922 on the forum, because even if you try and help them, they still take the p.

ahlbomper
    but it was a good point i think 922 brought up, for discogs to send a message to all who sell (at least those who are already selling cd's).

ROBDOLPHIN66
    That is a good idea,

djdom1uk

djdom1uk
    If after one week there is no message sent out, I can ask if it is going to be added...

Hopefully an official email will be sent out, I hope that one is soon :0)

ahlbomper
    some might then also look at the grading page for the 1st time, if there's a link to the grading page in the message

& i think we in the long run need the general grading level (& trust in the grades) to be clearly better than the general grading reliability at ebay for instance !
    (because the general grading reliability isn't good enough at ebay (for instance)!)

I thank you all who tried to understand what i tried to say:
    1.) good job done with this CD grading!
    2.) some kind of NEWSLETTER when discogs changes something

ahlbomper
    is that sarcasm ?

ROBDOLPHIN66
    even if you try and help them

1.) when there is a need for action I try to show different point of views until the problem is resolved.
    2.) Thank you for all help offered, help always appreciated when the question concerning.