• Mr.Mystery over 7 years ago

Do album samplers belong to album MR's? I was looking at Push - Electric Eclipse and it doesn't really look right to me.

I thought there was something about this in the RSG but can't find it.
  • Eviltoastman over 7 years ago

I also thought there was a rule against this, but cannot find it. I thought it was in the master release section.
  • Internaut over 7 years ago

nik once told me that this: Ozzy Osbourne - Live & Loud Sampler belonged in the MR. How much general guidance there is from that 'ruling' is hard to tell of course.
  • jarijeff over 7 years ago

I'd suggest there could be rules like this:
    Fits to two of these
    Has the same artwork (including derivatives)
    Has the same tracklisting
    Has the same release title (including translations)
    Is a re-release, promo, colored vinyl edition, special edition, instrumental version, remix, or other such variation

and has 2/3 of the tracks that's on original release.
  • hafler3o over 7 years ago

oldish pronouncement here http://www.discogs.com/help/forums/topic/186906?page=4#2357819
    applying 16.2.1. would normally exclude them (I would have thought) but personally I'd say samplers should be the exception to the rule...
  • slur over 7 years ago

Agree. Integral Part of Album Marketing not a Single or Release on it's own imho.
  • HM-2 over 7 years ago

last thing I heard/read was that samplers should not be grouped under the album master release. However I think this needs some overhaul anyway because there is a growing trend in Hip Hop and especially Electronic music where the vinyl version of an album is effectively a sampler or an EP/extract of it but is generally regarded as the vinyl version of the album (and in many cases also sold and priced as such). Look at pretty much every Dubstep album out for example. The vinyl versions are mostly just extracts of the CD (sometimes the songs are even extended on the vinyl) whereas the CD gathers tracks that were mostly already released beforehand on singles plus some new songs.
  • cvalda44 over 7 years ago

Imho, normally Samplers should be separate from album MR, but on the other hand sometimes they really look better within the album MR, for example for V/A releases. Also, there are samplers with ALL tracks from the album, but edited to 2-minute cuts. Generally, for minor releases I do not see a big problem with samplers being in the album MR.
    But then, really, 16.2.1 positions can be taken into account: samplers with different artwork or title shouldn't be in the main album MR.

The only thing I know for sure: if you exclude samplers from the MR, they must be linked from the MR page.
  • zevulon over 7 years ago

zevulon edited over 7 years ago
    What about Part 1 and Part 2 on vinyl, that together make up the CD album?
    Should they all three be bundled together into a MR?

And if there's a vinyl edition with the same artwork/title as the full mix-cd
    but that only contains a fraction of said CD release -
    Would that be the same as your Sampler-Into-The Album-MR-Logic?
    Various - Le Future Le Funk

Your opinions? (I've got mine already)

These are not in a joint MR, but surely "belongs together",
    since it's the same release/concept.

Various - Naked Music Presents Lost On Arrival Part 1 of 2
    Various - Naked Music Presents Lost On Arrival Part 2 of 2
    >>>>>>
    Various - Naked Music Presents Lost On Arrival
  • Eviltoastman over 7 years ago

I can think of at least three album promotional samplers where they have vague or non existent titling which means they could feasibly fall under a singles master or the album. While I agree that the samplers should be part of the album, this is going to hurt.
  • Staff 3.1k

nik over 7 years ago

In general, samplers should not be part of the albums master release.

zevulon
    What about Part 1 and Part 2 on vinyl, that together make up the CD album?

I would avoid that as well.

zevulon
    And if there's a vinyl edition with the same artwork/title as the full mix-cd
    but that only contains a fraction of said CD release

Should not be part of the Master Release either.
  • zevulon over 7 years ago

nik
    In general, samplers should not be part of the albums master release.

That's what I thought, but there are still some exceptions.
    Mistake or not - I see no valid point of entry for a sampler into an Album MR.

Internaut
    nik once told me that this: Ozzy Osbourne - Live & Loud Sampler belonged in the MR Ozzy Osbourne - Live & Loud. How much general guidance there is from that 'ruling' is hard to tell of course.

That Ozzy MR should not be containing that sampler.
    Why would it be different from any other sampler?