• teknoid85 over 4 years ago

teknoid85 edited over 4 years ago
    hello evryone
    when i sell items,after i receive the payment i always give good feedback to the buyers.but some buyers after they receiced their items,give no feedback; maybe why the are too lazy or they don't wan't give "good reputation" to others. so why discogs can't make a system,that if the deal if finished buyers MUST give feedback? personally i find it a correct idea.
  • Djdtl over 4 years ago

You can't force buyers to give you a feedback, just like waiters can't make you to tip!

What you can do, is send each buyer an Email to ask for a feedback, I find 75%+ of them leave me one (Good or bad) if you can spare the time and effort. :)
  • adrez over 4 years ago

teknoid85
    MUST give feedback

What would happen if they didn't or refused to give feedback? There's no real incentive for the buyer post-transaction other than common courtesy. Punishing them for not living up to that is akin to chopping someone's hand off because they didn't say 'Please' and 'Thank you' :)
  • djdom1uk over 4 years ago

teknoid85
    some sellers after they receiced their items,give no feedback

You mean buyers?

djdom1uk edited over 4 years ago
    Djdtl
    You can't force buyers to give you a feedback, just like waiters can't make you to tip!

I agree!

Feedback is a bonus (well positive feedback is anyway) it is not obligatory - no one has to leave it.

If someone does not leave feedback it is because they don't feel that they need to or that they don't want to (or they may have forgot to leave it).

In those first two cases, do you really want to ask them to leave feedback?

If you do, don't be surprised if you get some non-positive feedback for your efforts!

Don't forget that Discogs automatically sends a feedback reminder one month after the order date, then again after another week, and once again (if I remember correctly).

When I send dispatch notification, I ask the buyer to leave some f/b after they have received their order - to let me know they have received it and everything is ok.

I would not 'chase-up' any feedback after this, as this could be considered annoying, etc.
  • gandolfito63 over 4 years ago

I think laziness is the most usual reason why some buyers don't leave feedback.
    But it's fine with me,they have the right to be lazy or whatever any other reason they may have for not leaving any feedback.
  • johnfarruggio over 4 years ago

I log in everyday and the fist thing I do is check my new feedbacks that I received, and I leave a feedback in return.

I only leave a buyer feedback after they leave me feedback first.

Sad to say, but I noticed that when a seller leaves feedback first, it gives the buyer a perfect opportunity to suck blood out of the seller.

Im not saying that ALL buyers are like that, but the truth is that the buyer knows that he can easily complain, or ask for a partial refund, and the seller is now in a predicament.

As a seller, I used to always leave feedback first ... and Im gonna say that 1 out of 10 orders would "have a problem" when they got the records. Probly all BS. Ever since I stopped doing that, I can honestly say that suddenly, EVERYONE is happy. Maybe 1 out of 30 might hit me up and ask for a small refund.
  • Sneerwell over 4 years ago

Well, I see it this way: once the buyer has paid me he has done his part of the deal. So I've made it a policy to leave feedback either when I confirm 'payment received' or 'order shipped'.

So far no problems. But I've only been doing it for a couple of weeks.
  • Sammy-Smith over 4 years ago

johnfarruggio

agree 100% with everything you said and use the same practice (and have the same results) myself.
  • gandolfito63 over 4 years ago

gandolfito63 edited over 4 years ago
    [quote=johnfarruggio]Sad to say, but I noticed that when a seller leaves feedback first, it gives the buyer a perfect opportunity to suck blood out of the seller.

Im not saying that ALL buyers are like that, but the truth is that the buyer knows that he can easily complain, or ask for a partial refund, and the seller is now in a predicament.

As a seller, I used to always leave feedback first ... and Im gonna say that 1 out of 10 orders would "have a problem" when they got the records. Probly all BS. Ever since I stopped doing that, I can honestly say that suddenly, EVERYONE is happy. Maybe 1 out of 30 might hit me up and ask for a small refund.

What you say seems to me very logical and I'm sure you are right,although I almost never had any such experiences but I've realized I get more votes in percentage if I leave feedback just after buyer's feedback.In general,people seem to forget more about leaving feedback if they are already voted.
    I think voting first as a seller is specially risky if the seller is a newcomer and therefore he just have a few votes.Any unfair buyer knows that a single negative may damage very badly his future sales.I was very afraid about that when I begann selling here or at ebay.I tried then not to list at the beginning very low-budget items and I think I was right because now that I have already a certain experience I can say,speaking in general terms(it's not a rule,of course)that buyers purchasing just very low-priced items may be more difficult to handle with.A relatively big percentage of my buyers for such items are very demanding,not specially polite and many of them never leave any feedback even if they will come back for more purchases.Communication with them is often quite poor too.

• double-happiness over 4 years ago

gandolfito63
    when a seller leaves feedback first, it gives the buyer a perfect opportunity to suck blood out of the seller.

That'll teach you to sell Heavy Metal records in the first place.
  • Eviltoastman over 4 years ago

Quite right double. Heavy metal is so good he should keep them to himself and selling them should be deemed blasphemous.

On a serious note, as a buyer I will not leave positive feedback unless I get positive first. My part of the transaction is completed to the satisfaction of the seller at the point the pocket my cash. Anything else is incidental and usually in the seller remit/control. They are solely responsible for the agents that bring the record to me, the condition of the item, the expediency of the receipt of the item. My part is done and so unless I've paid slowly, paid inaccurately or had an attitude about this aspect then the buyer has no reason to withold feedback other than a paranoia and a deep lack of respect for his or her customers.
  • Vinyllab over 4 years ago

Eviltoastman
    They are solely responsible for the agents that bring the record to me

Although some may argue that the seller is contracting on behalf of the buyer of the courier to ship, since the buyer is the one paying the shipping (as well as insurance, if applicable). ..shrugs.. I guess it depends on how one looks as it.

They'd argue that, and they'd be absolutely wrong. The perspective you're trying to promote is skewed, blinkered and cockeyed.
  • Ksos63 over 4 years ago

Ksos63 edited over 4 years ago
    I understand this stance 100% and happen to agree with 95% of what Eviltoastman is saying;

Eviltoastman
    On a serious note, as a buyer I will not leave positive feedback unless I get positive first. My part of the transaction is completed to the satisfaction of the seller at the point the pocket my cash. Anything else is incidental and usually in the seller remit/control. They are solely responsible for the agents that bring the record to me, the condition of the item, the expediency of the receipt of the item. My part is done and so unless I've paid slowly, paid inaccurately or had an attitude about this aspect then the buyer has no reason to withold feedback other than a paranoia and a deep lack of respect for his or her customers.

Yet, there are a couple of reasons why a seller may wait for buyer feedback:

1) The seller is new to Discogs and may take the stance that the transaction is only complete, once the buyer has received the order. As a buyer, I always leave FB when I receive what I ordered, and, while I have only purchased one item on Discogs, I have purchased thousands on eBay over a period of 15 or so years. Feedback is extremely important to any seller, especially new ones. On any site.

2) The seller receives an order from a buyer who seems to be problematic, based on his/her feedback history towards sellers. I think that if a buyer tends to leave negative FB on one out of every 4 transactions, a seller may feel quite resistant to leave feedback first.

Feedback has always been a hot topic on eBay and I am happy to have found this same topic on Discogs.

I reckon that I ascribe to this perspective on the entire topic;

djdom1uk
    Feedback is a bonus (well positive feedback is anyway) it is not obligatory - no one has to leave it.

If someone does not leave feedback it is because they don't feel that they need to or that they don't want to (or they may have forgot to leave it).

In those first two cases, do you really want to ask them to leave feedback?

If you do, don't be surprised if you get some non-positive feedback for your efforts!

Don't forget that Discogs automatically sends a feedback reminder one month after the order date, then again after another week, and once again (if I remember correctly).

When I send dispatch notification, I ask the buyer to leave some f/b after they have received their order - to let me know they have received it and everything is ok.

I would not 'chase-up' any feedback after this, as this could be considered annoying, etc.

As an aside, I didn't know that Discogs sends a "reminder" to buyers, until I read djdom1uk's post. This certainly should help sellers feel more secure about implementing a feedback first policy. After all is said and done, the entire point is to provide the best service possible as a seller, and, once a seller is paid, the buyer has, as Eviltoastman points out, completed his/her end of the bargain.

I do not understand this "fear" of being "bled". I assume this means that if a buyer receives feedback first, that person will attempt feedback extortion, or as a few folks here may have made reference to, fiscal extortion to the seller who has left feedback first?

I have sold vinyl on eBay for well over 15 years and never once experienced any buyer ever trying to do this. I do recall that Feedback Extortion used to be an issue, prior to eBay prohibiting sellers from leaving anything but positive feedback to buyers.

Personally, I would contact Discogs' Support Network and report this type of behavior. This is not tolerated on other Vinyl sites, and I would bet that Discogs would not permit this type of behavior from ANY Buyer or Seller.

• Domenech74 over 4 years ago

My theory on why people don't leave feedback is that unless the buyer had a particularly bad experience, i.e., emails to the seller not returned, unusually long delays, etc., then there's no reason to leave feedback. I've made an effort to leave feedback for purchases made, in some cases months earlier, but oftentimes I just don't know what to say beyond the usual: "Great Selection!", "Fast Shipping!" If it's that important then I'll make it a point to leave the positive feedback in the future.
  • Ksos63 over 4 years ago

Domenech74
    My theory on why people don't leave feedback is that unless the buyer had a particularly bad experience, i.e., emails to the seller not returned, unusually long delays, etc., then there's no reason to leave feedback. I've made an effort to leave feedback for purchases made, in some cases months earlier, but oftentimes I just don't know what to say beyond the usual: "Great Selection!", "Fast Shipping!" If it's that important then I'll make it a point to leave the positive feedback in the future.

I think that receiving positive feedback may be more important for new sellers than to those who have a +12,000 FB Seller Rating. However, any feedback left also serves to enlighten the entire community marketplace surrounding those individual experiences which may not be so 'positive' on either end of the transaction.

Is it important for feedback to be left on both ends? I would say "yes" if we look at why, IMHO, eBay is no longer the "fun" marketplace is used to be.

Imagine if Discogs implemented the same asinine eBay practice of banning sellers from leaving anything but positive feedback for buyers, who may have done something unscrupulous in their transactions? Like those sellers who have spoke about being "bled" after they left + feedback first, only to then receive some erroneous complaint from that person, which seems to get settled. Through extortion, which is inexplicable and repugnant.

Of course, I do understand Domenech74's point regarding "What should I say" beyond the usual positive boilerplate feedbacks that are often seen on most sellers' profiles.

On the other hand, I also understand the seller's desire to know that a transaction went according to plan and that the buyer was happy with way he/she received. Or, if something did go wrong, allow the selling party to make an earnest attempt to rectify whatever it was that went wrong.

Again, just my two cents...

• teknoid85 over 4 years ago

teknoid85 edited over 4 years ago
    i have nothing to say to buyers who leave feedback only after he received the item,thats totally normal. but if they write me that they have the item and they're happy and don't give me feedback, i found this way bad. as a new buyer i think it's good to accumulate a bit of feedbacks.
    personally i think that a buyer no need a feedback, because after he have ordered and paid it's ok :) sorry for my bad english
  • AndysWax over 4 years ago

I leave buyer feedback upon receiving payment. At that point I feel that they have kept up their end of the bargain. There were a couple of times on ebay where I wish I hadn't, but it was exceptionally rare. If someone buys something, it is because they want it. If you are selling it as advertised, they will be happy with it the overwhelming majority of times.

I'm still a little disappointed when I don't receive any in return here as a new seller but that's how it goes. In most of those cases they were first time buyers, probably buying a gift, and possibly never logged in to discogs again. I agree with the person above who said that asking for it afterward might not always get you the desired result. I did it once recently and i felt embarrassed about it afterward and wouldn't do it again. He had sent me a message saying that he received the record and was happy with it. I thanked him and told him if he had a moment to hit the positive it would be helping me out. It felt like grovelling. He bought the record, he took the time to thank me for it, which he had no obligation to do of course, that should have been enough.

I'm not too sure if you are also a buyer here, but my last transaction which I had forgotten to leave feedback resulted in my receiving a gentle reminder to leave it. It was unobgtrusive and servied its purpose. Often when a purchase arrives on time and like clockwork it is easy to forget about all that. Needless to say I left the positive feedback and that was that. The reminder may be disliked by some but I had no issues with the seller and had simply forgotten.
  • AndysWax over 4 years ago

I've only made one purchase here so far. I left feedback but didn't receive any haha. Guess it can go both ways. I like the idea of a subtle reminder too, and wasn't aware of it prior to reding this thread. I mean with the deluge of messages we get from all parts these days, I'd think you would have to be a pretty impatient person to be annoyed at that.

djdom1uk edited over 4 years ago
    AndysWax
    I left feedback but didn't receive any haha. Guess it can go both ways

I have ordered over 50 times on here and have received fewer than 40 + feedback ratings from sellers (despite leaving them + feedback).

There has been the odd occasion when I have asked for an order to be cancelled, or the seller has cancelled the order - but my feedback score 'should' still be at least 20% higher than it is.

I am not too bothered about this, I really just checked out of interest as this subject keeps coming up again and again!
  • kruisspin over 4 years ago

giving feedback by sellers/buyers,neg or posit is always nice or out of respect, or just the right thing you do after a transaction.i always feedback good or bad,99% was positif,and like it when others give me feedback like they think it is!
    sometimes i do not have back,what can you do about it,pray or begging?

kruisspin
    sometimes i do not have back,what can you do about it,pray or begging?

If you are a buyer, there is certainly no harm is asking a seller to leave you feedback (especially if you have already left them + feedback)!

On the other hand if you are seller, this may not be such a great idea.

It is normally better to wait to hear back from the buyer that everything is ok, and they are happy (in which case they will normally leave f/b).

If you wait, but do not get any feedback - it could be for a number of reasons, but 'chasing feedback' can be seen as annoying by some buyers.

Getting feedback is a nice 'bonus' or recommendation from a customer, you do not have to give a review for everything you buy in life, so online it is probably not that different.

I think it is good to leave + feedback, and only leave - feedback in the most extreme cases.

The only time I would not leave feedback is when something went 'wrong' but there was no clear dishonesty involved (such as in mis-grading perhaps).