• pinkychukkles over 3 years ago

pinkychukkles edited over 3 years ago
    Hot on the heels of Netsounds being snapped up by Musicstack, is the GEMM marketplace in trouble? A couple of threads in the Musicstack seller lounge where some (though not all) sellers who use GEMM as well as Musicstack have been concerned about the delays in receiving payments from GEMM for sales and lack of communication and transparency regarding why the payments are late. Note that GEMM, unlike Discogs and Musicstack, handles the payments for transactions between buyers and sellers; so if you're selling on GEMM, you receive the proceeds from your sales on GEMM from GEMM itself, minus their commission.

Any sellers here on Discogs also sell on GEMM and have experienced the same problem?

Whilst the more online marketplaces there are for selling music, the better, as a dominant position by any one marketplace will most likely tempt them to leverage that dominance by charging a higher commission than their competitors but GEMM have singularly failed to innovate or build on their first-mover advantage. I used them (as a buyer) about the time that I started using eBay back in 2002 but apparently they've been around since 1994. In the time since I first used them, the website's appearance and functionality has barely changed so if they are in trouble, then it wouldn't surprise me in the slightest. I remember receiving a newsletter around 18 months ago that had an almost pleading tone, trying to entice the recipients back to the site; am guessing that was sent due to a consistent decline in web traffic.
  • andygrayrecords over 3 years ago

I've been following that thread pinkychukkles too.

The day before yesterday I received an email from GEMM letting me know that my paypal payment was on it's way. As yet it hasn't turned up in my account.

I can't see them not being in trouble tbh.

They've moved offices recently. This has been used as an excuse for failing to make their payments. Why would they move offices? It can't be due to expansion.

http://www.alexa.com/siteinfo/gemm.com

Only reason to move offices in the middle of a worldwide recession is for the cheaper rates being offered. First year free rent type of thing.

Yes, the Alexa stats don't make for comforting reading.
  • Tokeowave over 3 years ago

pinkychukkles
    Any sellers here on Discogs also sell on GEMM and have experienced the same problem?

I also sell on there and the last check they cut for me did take longer than usual but I don't make much on there as opposed to here. What I do like about Gemm is that they can pay your proceeds by check and handle the payment system. But their commission is way to high for sellers to price their goods competitively to make any profit. Plus there are online marketplaces that people can even sell for free music-wise these days. There's one in particular that I ended up being a sorta beta tester for because the admin guy tells me that his testers flaked out on him. Funny. Very neat site though, layouts don't make you crazy at least. :D I kid, I kid.
  • Euro_Addict over 3 years ago

I first started buying on GEMM but I have long since moved on - I suppose that my faith in internet shopping burgeoned from my somewhat positive experiences on there. I once got notification that I would no longer receive email notifications of my wantlist if I didn't respond to an email. Well I didn't and I did stop receiving emails for awhile but then all of a sudden I started receiving them again. I don't even bother looking at them anymore, they go straight to my trash. Especially since a lot of those emails contain a lot of rubbish that is not even close to what I was looking for. But when I first created my wantlist, I didn't want to limit my search in case I lost out on an item. Pointless really because I don't think I've had a notification that has interested me before. I've been too lazy to log on to GEMM to delete all my wantlists on there - probably don't even remember my password because I reckon it has been close to 4-5 years since I've bought anything on there. Unfortunately, GEMM is irrelevant now; at least to me.

Euro_Addict
    I don't even bother looking at them anymore

I have a £400 LP on my wantlist...the other day a M/NM copy came up for £40, needless to say I was in like flint!
  • brunorepublic over 3 years ago

brunorepublic edited over 3 years ago
    I used to buy a lot through them. I particularly liked that they handled the payments for most sellers, no need to go through Paypal. Also like giving feedback for the condition of each record as well as the overall seller. Still use them occasionally for items I don't see here. But I prefer discogs simply because one usually gets a better idea which specific pressing one is getting. Also, there seem to be a much broader range of sellers on discogs.

But yeah, GEMM appears to have done very little to update their site in a loooong time.
  • jweijde over 3 years ago

brunorepublic
    But yeah, GEMM appears to have done very little to update their site in a loooong time.

Definitely. I remember receiving an email from them years ago announcing they updated their website. That made me quite curious. I had not checked the site in ages because the interface looked dated, item information lacked detail and account details were messy. When I checked their 'updated' site, I was disappointed because it was mainly a new shell over their dated interface.
  • Euro_Addict over 3 years ago

andygrayrecords
    I have a £400 LP on my wantlist...the other day a M/NM copy came up for £40, needless to say I was in like flint!]

Damn - why can't I have a feel good story like that lol. When you continuously get wantlist notifications and there is never anything you want at the price you want, you lose faith/interest pretty quickly. I should have elaborated in my first post though, the non-standard ratings by some sellers really shit me and the 'special order' in the comments section that basically mean they don't have it in stock. Geez andygrayrecords, you must really think I'm a grumpy buyer lol.

Euro_Addict
    I should have elaborated in my first post though, the non-standard ratings by some sellers really shit me and the 'special order' in the comments section that basically mean they don't have it in stock

Oh yeah, those sellers with really bad ratings and huge listings but it turns out they don't actually have them, they're just under the mistaken impression that they can somehow order them. Definitely a minus.

Another thing I would see occasionally are listings from sellers with good ratings but when you examine their profile, it's apparent they're either no longer dealing with GEMM, no longer in business, or perhaps no longer alive. Listings not updated in years, fulfillment rate dropped off, etc. -- yet the listings remain on the site.

Euro_Addict
    'special order'

Thats just BS, I stay away from those, if they can source it, so can I!

Have you seen the CDBBQ guy on musicstack?

http://cdbbq.musicstack.com/

What a joker!

Euro_Addict
    Damn - why can't I have a feel good story like that lol.

Should've said that was here, not GEMM....I only buy on here or from the label direct. I like to know I'm getting is what I want.
  • musicrediscovered over 3 years ago

There is a report on www.ripoffreport.com about a seller who complained about the missed payments to Roger Raffee who had his catalogue removed and an 'offer' from Roger to sue him for his outstanding balance ($1000 if I read right). From the forums on Musicstack, I think that GEMM is on its last legs.

The threads about GEMM are growing more plentiful on the Musicstack seller forum:
    Roger, Gemm And The Risks Of Believing Everything You Read On The WWW
    What Are You Owed . Let Us Total It Up.
    Gemm On Rippoff Report / Class Action Lawsuit
    How Amazon Stole From Gemm
    Anyone Think Gemm Is Going Out Of Business? / Court Records
    GEMM Question

...and Dave Stack seems to have nailed his colours to the mast by setting up a page on Musicstack where sellers on GEMM can input the amount they are owed and when they were last paid.
  • PabloPlato over 3 years ago

pinkychukkles
    • Roger, Gemm And The Risks Of Believing Everything You Read On The WWW
    • What Are You Owed . Let Us Total It Up.
    • Gemm On Rippoff Report / Class Action Lawsuit
    • How Amazon Stole From Gemm
    • Anyone Think Gemm Is Going Out Of Business? / Court Records
    • GEMM Question

"Only MusicStack sellers can view this message forum"

boo :( i wanna follow the drama!

Whoops! That makes sense.
    It was free to join Musicstack when I did in order to buy & sell many years ago, now you have to pay a one-off fee of $39 before you can.

It appears there's little love lost between Dave Stack and Roger Raffee (who runs GEMM) but he does give an assessment of what's going on in his opinion:
    (Quoted from:http://www.musicstack.com/forum/roger-gemm-and-the-risks-of-believing-everything-you-read-on-the-www-35377.html)

I think the whole "lets change our marketplace to be a marketplace like ebay/amazon and let people sell everything" (but without the millions of dollars in venture capital funding to back it up) reeks of desperation and is the hail Mary pass they are using to try to save their company from going out of business.

Guess they are thinking that there is room for another player in the space and is the way to riches, even though I think most people realize that the key players for such "sell anything" type marketplaces have long been defined ages ago.

But then again, after reading Roger's interview (at http://gemm-ayudahelper.blogspot.com/2009/10/interview-with-gemm-ceo-roger-raffee.html ) perhaps he is still sore that Amazon "stole" his idea for processing payments and he is trying to teach amazon a lesson by "competing" against them (10 years too late) (...crowd laughs).

Perhaps with the massive hemorrhaging of traffic as seen on http://www.quantcast.com/gemm.com or http://www.alexa.com/siteinfo/gemm.com and with all the money they probably owe to outside developer(s) for upgrading to the new "sell anything" site along with the regular bills (like payroll, rent, server/bandwidth cost) my guess is they are using their cash flow (which I'm extrapolating from traffic data is rapidly dwindling) to pay their own bills first, and then giving what is left (i.e, not enough) to sellers.

And since there isn't enough money left, they have to constantly be juggling who gets paid as they "rob" Peter to "pay" Paul scenario which I feel is the true reason why people are not getting paid on time.

I think the whole 'we are moving offices' and 'we are changing our accounting system' is a bunch of bull crap and is just a lame attempt cover the fact they have a serious cash flow issue and do not want to admit it. I guess it makes sense that have been so hush-hush on the problems to sellers on what is really going on because if they were to ever tell sellers they did indeed have a cash flow problem sellers would lose confidence in them and run away from them faster then a Kenyan in a marathon race!

If this is indeed what is happening, they are playing a dangerous game and building a house of cards that is going to collapse sooner or later where many sellers (clueless or not) will get burned.

Any one want to take a guess at how long it will take for everything to play out?
    (either getting 100% caught up on payments, or go bust?)

wow - thanks for the inside scoop ;)

so - how will this affect us here on discogs? should we worry that a mass exodus from gemm will mean higher competition here on the marketplace, or do you think most on gemm will call it quits (and hence we should be scouring craigslist for ex-gemm sellers liquidating their stock)?
  • vinylrecord over 3 years ago

It's getting a serious problem at GEMM, even Musicstack has published the "GEMM Debt Calculator": http://www.musicstack.com/seller/gemm.cgi (login required).

pinkychukkles edited over 3 years ago
    Further on in that same thread, someone asks
    David ,would you Buy Gemm now?

to which he replies
    I have no desire to buy GEMM. It is a sinking ship that I do not think can be saved.

Additionally, I feel their software is terrible and many of the sellers who sell on GEMM already sell on MusicStack. Also, many buyers already know about MusicStack in addition to GEMM, so there wouldn't be much to gain from buying them unless it was dirt cheap.

But what I (and many others) know of Roger (especially after reading his interview: http://gemm-ayudahelper.blogspot.com/2009/10/interview-with-gemm-ceo-roger-raffee.html) he is stubborn and strong headed so I can see him as the kind of guy will go down with his ship (till the bitter end).

I bet he will let it run completely into the ground (trying to save it) before he would try to sell it.

Seeing as how attached I am to MusicStack I would probably do the same thing if the tables were turned.

I wouldn't have thought that the demise of GEMM would see any major shift on Discogs beyond the normal drift of more sellers gradually beginning to sell here whom have previously sold on both GEMM and Musicstack mostly with genres other than electronic (which is what Discogs was initially focussed around). Indeed, from reading a lot more of the threads in the seller forum on Musicstack, it is frequently mentioned that Discogs is the place for the "penny sellers" but equally it is also as frequently mentioned by people who sell on both Musicstack and Discogs that they receive far more orders here than they do on MS.

My general impression is that the profile of the average seller on Musicstack or GEMM is of a much much older demographic than here; who are generally sellers mostly of non-electronic music and have been selling for years and years. No doubt a lot of them have checked out Discogs but, especially with the older folk, if you're not hot on computers in the first place because you didn't grow up with them (unlike say, the average person who is a user on here) then it's probably a bit of a learning curve and quite daunting to think that in order to sell here, you've got look up a unique release ID for each and every release in your 25k+ inventory that you have for sale on MS!

People were joking about the increase in font sizes and general IN-YOUR-FACE-ness of Discogs' new look being enabled to attract the oldies over here but, it appears to make more sense to make it all a bit easier for the silver surfer crowd - I mean, they must have stacks of disposable income, thinking nothing of dropping a few hundred bucks for some rare pristine Grateful Dead release. ;)

PabloPlato
    should we worry that a mass exodus from gemm will mean higher competition here on the marketplace, or do you think most on gemm will call it quits (and hence we should be scouring craigslist for ex-gemm sellers liquidating their stock)?

It may mean more sellers here, but I don't see a mass movement. I would think by now most GEMM sellers are also on musicstack and/or eBay.
  • more_music over 3 years ago

I sell on GEMM, Musicstack and Discogs, All are different and have different competition.

Discogs has far more penny sellers than GEMM or Musicstack where most of the sellers are people who do it for a living and very few list items at for a few pence, but that has not stopped me selling plenty of stuff here as well as on GEMM.

If GEMM folds it will be very sad, it was the first music marketplace. I think a collapse there would mean very little for dedicated Discogs sellers
  • zevulon over 3 years ago

I've bought tons of records, but maybe two records through Gemm - ugly site, and hard to use/understand what they are selling. Useless.

more_music
    Discogs has far more penny sellers than GEMM or Musicstack where most of the sellers are people who do it for a living and very few list items at for a few pence, but that has not stopped me selling plenty of stuff here as well as on GEMM.

That's very true based on my experience, but it's also one of the things I like about discogs. There are a lot of releases I want which I know are only worth a couple of bucks, and I'd never see them on GEMM for less than double or triple (not worth listing otherwise, I guess). Here I can find them for much more reasonable prices.

On the flip side, and I don't know about other buyers, but I try to either buy a whole bunch from the same seller or pick at least one higher-priced item to make it worth the seller's time.
  • ladrodipolli over 3 years ago

I am convinced that most of the problems Gemm are due, perhaps, to the high percentage of commission, if one sells an LP from 10 €, for example in the U.S., postage is € 15 with priority mail from Italy, total 25 euro .. it seems to me that the percentage of 14%, so in theory the seller arrive 6.50 € net, then you have to pay even when gemm pay paypal for the transaction to take the money, this makes sure that sellers put discs twice or more, and then sell this for very little ..... I have to get some money from Gemm, hopefully I pay!
  • Eft over 3 years ago

Eft edited over 3 years ago

ladrodipolli
    I am convinced that most of the problems Gemm are due, perhaps, to the high percentage of commission, if one sells an LP from 10 €, for example in the U.S., postage is € 15 with priority mail from Italy, total 25 euro .. it seems to me that the percentage of 14%, so in theory the seller arrive 6.50 € net, then you have to pay even when gemm pay paypal for the transaction to take the money, this makes sure that sellers put discs twice or more, and then sell this for very little ..... I have to get some money from Gemm, hopefully I pay!

Yep. Gemm's commission is a mutha: 13 % of item price AND the shipping! It's crazy. I have them pay my proceeds by check so no paypal fees on that front. The + side I discovered is that Gemm doesn't charge you the paypal fee if someone pays their order with PayPal and not GemmPay. I factored it in my calculation chart, but its never happened to me so I didn't have to include it in item pricing. I did up a chart of my item prices, and expenses to calculate how much I would make and then adjust item pricing according to the amount in profit I want to make.

brunorepublic
    That's very true based on my experience, but it's also one of the things I like about discogs. There are a lot of releases I want which I know are only worth a couple of bucks, and I'd never see them on GEMM for less than double or triple (not worth listing otherwise, I guess). Here I can find them for much more reasonable prices.

That's because Gemm's commission is so bleepin' high, plus the commission also applies to the shipping/handling costs which can be as much as the item's price. If they lowered the commission to maybe 10% and update the 1990's design/layout a bit, then they'll be doing something.
  • musicmusique over 3 years ago

I think Gemm has financial problems. A payment posted by Gemm has not reached my bank account 21 days after being listed by Gemm. My bank posted a previous payment sent earlier this year after seven days. I have been selling vinyl through Gemm for some 12 years. I emailed Gemm. Here is part of Gemm's reply:
    'We are a bit behind on our accounting due to an office move, a change in accounting systems, and bringing our procedures in line with new anti-terrorism legislation in the US regarding ACH payments. You will receive this payment soon. We will send it to your bank account as soon as possible'.
    Gemm lists its address as:
    PO Box 2186
    La Jolla CA 92038-2186
    USA
    I am emailing Germm again today, because I have just received two new Gemm orders. It seems a little pointless to confirm them if Gemm cannot pay me.

That seems to be a standard response. On the MusicStack forum no-one is aware of this new "anti-terror legislation".

I was supposed to receive a payment from gemm last Tuesday, it still hasn't materialised :(
  • zevulon over 3 years ago

Again - it's not a site that I, a massive record buyer, would care to visit anyhow, so I wouldn't notice if it disappeared.
  • mayday over 3 years ago

I've bought and sold thousands of records on GEMM since 98.
    Found some real diamonds there over the years. Will be sad to see it go, if that ever happens, but it's been behind the curve for too long, it's inevitable.
  • cannymusic over 3 years ago

pinkychukkles
    My general impression is that the profile of the average seller on Musicstack or GEMM is of a much much older demographic than here; who are generally sellers mostly of non-electronic music and have been selling for years and years. No doubt a lot of them have checked out Discogs but, especially with the older folk, if you're not hot on computers in the first place because you didn't grow up with them (unlike say, the average person who is a user on here) then it's probably a bit of a learning curve and quite daunting to think that in order to sell here,

A lot of us old buggers (I am 59) have been selling on Gemm, Musicstack and previously Netsounds for 13+ years and have also been selling on Discogs for several years.

Don't think we are all computer phobes (I actually learned using DOS). Netsounds demise was a sad thing as it was the only UK player. Yes, Gemm does owe me money too, but I'm sure it will arrive eventually - I don't think they will go out of business yet - Roger is too determined.

Discogs will get increased sellers from Netsounds and Gemm and more and more sellers generally.

The only put-off to a lot of sellers is the amount of penny sellers on Discogs. I ignore them and stick to my prices and seem to do OK.
  • Piotrlerouge over 3 years ago

Hey, I'm Pierre from the mail order Music by Mail, based in Denmark. I've been selling at GEMM for many years and recently began placing items here. I can confirm that GEMM payments have been delayed / unpaid since about mid August. I had a few direct phone numbers (Roger, Allan) at hand but no one picked the phone when I called and I have repeated this a few times a day since a few days. The customer service (Amy) isn't answering mails since one week. I have a credit of just above $1000 that risks to vanish. So the situation IS serious and the lack of answer or reaction makes it even more serious. I heard the same stories as mentioned above but no one knows for sure what the real problem IS. GEMM had just considerably improved their entire system, finally renewing their old database from way back to .... 1994 !!!, adding some cool functionalities (up to 8 pics, sounds, quicker searches, international characters implementation, etc...) and even if there still are (were) many points to improve, it would be a desaster to see all this huge database disappearing now. So much work (both GEMM and its sellers) patiently set up and going down would be a big big loss for many :-(
  • Eviltoastman over 3 years ago

zevulon
    Again - it's not a site that I, a massive record buyer, would care to visit anyhow, so I wouldn't notice if it disappeared.

Without Gemm, I would never have found this:
    Faith No More - Digging The Grave

After 15 days no money from Gemm, today i have watching next payment scheduled for me the 20 october!!
  • sladerecords over 3 years ago

as a serious buyer of vinyl i have to say gemm is the worst for searching things out . musicstack is ok but still really frustrating as a search function. the best search is still ebay . it works period.. i think the search on discogs is really good maybe even going to be better but first and foremost there has to be a differentiation between sealed lps and mint . which there is not.

To be fair, since I started this thread, I must update and say that the GEMM hysteria has died down a bit in the Musicstack seller forum where it appears that most of the sellers there have seen payment; albeit not when initially promised but they appear to be catching up (unless they are just concentrating on those who are shouting the loudest).

Hope you get your payment soon ladrodipolli.

Have faith say ....

What makes me angry is that I sell $ 100-150 a year on Gemm, some LPs, most of them that I have to pay postage and then wait months to get the money, as you know Gemm not send payments until one reaches $ 50, I do not know if I'll take 'money, but move the payment from September 11 to October 20 for a few dollars makes me think very bad, and if I take them after I raise my whole list, it makes no sense to sell it .. ..
  • Domenech74 over 3 years ago

I have an account at GEMM but haven't bought much lately. Nothing beats Discogs, really - I like the way everything is laid out on Discogs: track lengths, info on the label, the "more copies for sale" option, etc. It's all laid out in comfortable, easy to read format. Trying to look up account info on GEMM is like a chore. I feel sort of the same about Musicstack - there's very little track information - just the title and price.
  • emuziek over 3 years ago

My GEMM T-shirt will be a vintage collectable soon - from the sounds of these posts.

GEMM.com 'If you can't find it on here...fuhgeddaboudit '

ladrodipolli
    Gemm not send payments until one reaches $ 50

i have it set up so that if the amount is over $10.00, a check gets cut for me. payout thresholds for PayPal maybe different i guess.

I know that today GEMM paid, today I received my money, so I think they're coming out of the difficulty.
  • Piotrlerouge over 3 years ago

pinkychukkles
    it appears that most of the sellers there have seen payment; albeit not when initially promised but they appear to be catching up

Yes they do! And they're improving every day! Here's a message I received on September 14th: "We are still a couple of weeks behind with payments. We are in the process of finalizing moving of our office and all hardware. We have lost our former bookkeepers, and so we are behind with accounting and will continue to be behind for the foreseeable future. We are working to get caught up we can't make you any false promises. We don't currently have the staff to get all caught up with our bookkeeping and accounting, but we'll try not to fall any further behind than we are now, and possibly we will get at least quite a bit closer to being caught up than we are now."

Now you can reverse the problem and ask yourself if the buzz at Music Stack could have been something organised ... in their own interest. This is a question, not an affirmation as I don't know them; I only know they are competitors ....

Piotrlerouge
    Now you can reverse the problem and ask yourself if the buzz at Music Stack could have been something organised ... in their own interest. This is a question, not an affirmation as I don't know them; I only know they are competitors ....

All the initial threads in the Musicstack seller forum were started by sellers that sold on both selling platforms, who were concerned at the lack of credible accurate information and a general lack of transparency from GEMM itself. GEMM, as far as I am aware, doesn't offer a seller forum for discussion on it's site hence, after getting standard template email replies and having promised payment dates coming and going without payment, they turned to the Musicstack seller forum to air and share their various experiences in order to gain a fuller picture of what may or may not be happening.

Having said that, Dave Stack, the owner of Musicstack, fully nailed his colours to the mast by opining his dislike for the current owner of GEMM & his business practices and hoping that the site would fail. He then got a bit too enthusiastic with his opinion, such that some of the sellers were a little shocked at his level of vitriol and told him to reign it in, which he appears to have done.

All this doesn't change the facts that
    • the GEMM design and interface for both buyers and sellers is poor by today's standards (even withstanding what has been changing here on Discogs recently) and hasn't changed a great deal for around ten years
    • that GEMM processes payments from customers itself so as a seller you will be exposed to whatever amount of money that GEMM is holding on your behalf until you get it
    • the trend for their web traffic is down
    • their commission rate of 13% is one of the highest around and it's charged on shipping costs as well; as does Musicstack btw but not Discogs

The point being that none of those threads would have been necessary had GEMM been a little more forthright and prompt with their communications and their payments to their sellers. It's a poor state of affairs that sellers felt that they had to go to a rival selling platform in order to openly discuss issues some of them were having. Barring a very significant overhaul of the site design and/or the underlying site architecture, GEMM will slip further and further behind and sellers will (as some of them have already confirmed) see declining sales which means less money in commissions for GEMM and less chance of money being invested in improving the site.
  • afetes over 3 years ago

Hi ,I make about 2-3.000 € per year with GEMM and am waiting for a payment of 800 € for 4 weeks now. That makes me angry as I sell records there for more then 7 years and I am a 5 Star seller there.
    So I would like to switch to discogs but how is it possible to shift my whole GEMM database to discogs?
    Remember I am not a computer freak and its no alternative to start all over again and upload each single album with jpg as it would take me 6 months to do it with my more then 5.000 records. Any Idea? Ralph

afetes
    how is it possible to shift my whole GEMM database to discogs?

It isn't.

afetes
    no alternative to start all over again and upload each single album with jpg

You don't need to upload pictures, they are (mainly) already in the database.

I sold on GEMM way way back when sellers could take their own payments. Due to a relationship breakup I had a couple of years out of this game (sleeping on friends sofas, having my inventory at the wifes house etc, is not conducive to running a small enterprise)!

Anyway, I would recommend, you keep your GEMM listings live and list on Discogs one by one. What isn't in the database you put to one side and enter it after all the others are listed.

It may seem a daunting task, but it will be well worth it.

I make 3-4 sales a day on average here, and probably about 1 a month on GEMM. That said, I don't have feedback or a customer base on GEMM.

Good luck!
  • theoldsage49 over 3 years ago

theoldsage49 edited over 3 years ago
    apologies this has been removed something has to be written to let me close this window see the next post.thankks for your advice djdom1uksoory about the grammar.

hello to discogs and the contributors to an [ apparent war on gemm.debate recently aired on the discogs forum) This cast aspersions on the financial health and other alleged negative opinions of gemm.operational policy's,technology,software and whatever else there was in clearly hidden agenda of those participants. I have had experience of David Stack, Discogs and gemm. Just in fear of any misunderstanding all the people in that discussion are involved directly in selling records to the public. I carry on of the impression given by that debate that is the case .A question for you Mr. Stack , did you not send me a request for money and to resubmit my catalogue when you took the net sounds business over .I can answer that it is a YES you did.The question is why ? were you a little short of cash flow as you did say it would be refunded .However you neglected to say why you were asking for it in the first instance and more important when you would pay it back.In fact Mr. Stack you were effectively asking for a lend of money and if my mind serves me right it was a considerable amount. Perhaps you were left a little bit short after paying so much for netsounds .How many people like me declined your request Mr. Stack no don't answer me ,it is none of my business .What I would like to point out to all who made grossly defamatory comments about gemm in that discussion is the impact it could well have had on prospective buyers which would have made sellers suffer in turn.Well done the man who stole a 400.00 record for 40 quid didn't you do well . What impression you left on people who may have been thinking of selling records is anyones guess It would certainly make them think again. I do not believe gemm are in any financial mess and they certainly do not overcharge for their unrivalled support to buyers and sellers with a mere 13% charge commission The price these old records are fetching now leaves us sellers quids in when we sell them.I would say anyone begrudging 13% is a greedy bastic. Since I am talking about service and support it is from a long term observation and personal involvement with several sites including netsounds that qualifies me to give this opinion . gemm are streets ahead on buyer/seller service and support ,forms submisions &transparency they also allow (contrary to suggestion in the forum )sellers the opportunity to handle their payments from buyers. with a reduction in the commission to 8%.although i cant see the sense as believe me handling buyers payments is fraught with possible problems from the security reasons.We all know the amount of fraud prevalent on the net.Imagine every time one accepts payment through any of the agencys the handling charges are applicable and it often takes longer to clear than gemm. There are no security issues when gemm handle payments. I believe all involved in that charade should hang their heads in shame and owe gemm an apology for their comments and think about the possible effect it could have had on not only gemm sellers but those on other sites as well. Surely we should be sticking together not sticking knifes in others backs.There is plenty out there for every body so come on lead by example congratulate the leader not stick a knife in their back Well done gemm . You have been there a near decade and I am sure you will not beeknocked of the perch by the likes of this few disgrunteled complainers My final comment to discogs are you man enough to publish this.
  • djdom1uk over 3 years ago

theoldsage49
    hello to discogs and the contributors

Whoops! Double post there!

You can edit your last message and effectively delete what you have written.

In addition, you could edit your 'original' post, and add some paragraph spacing, punctuation, etc. to help encourage people to read all of that text...

Just click on the Edit button, and write something 'short 'n' sweet' perhaps :0)

wall of text FTW

My current payment from Gemm is 2 weeks overdue Roger.

I do not know why the text was duplicated perhaps my disability caused me to press the button twice .djdom1uk. Perhaps it was a glitch in the computer. Do you think the content is difficult to understand.? Are there grammatical errors in the text .I was expecting some response and whoa true to the form it is a subtle insult..Would you really like me to delete that post.? Why does it offend you, I sincerely did not set out to cause offence.And I do not see anything in that post which could cause offence. Just to explain to some of the contributors that their moans and groans and inappropriate comments can cause others loss or inconvenience perhaps they should think before they open their mouths.It took you less than 3 minutes to read and respond, so I dont think anyone will have problems understanding the text. I will take your advice and when I sus out how to delete a post one will be removed.apologies to those who have a problem reading my post ,Iam what.was termed a silver surfer 64 and not familiar with computer technology so bear with me unless you would be kind enough to post an explanation as how to remove the first post.Thanking you in anticipation djdom1uk
  • Vinyllab over 3 years ago

Had two orders last month from Gemm. I received emails dated Oct 30 2012 and Nov 6 2012 that payment is being sent but upon closer observation, the transaction date for each payout is dated 11/17/2012 and 11/24/2012.

[quote=theoldsage49][/quote]

TL:DR

please learn to use the Enter/Return key on your keyboard to break up your wall of text into easily digestible paragraphs.

from what i gathered, you are upset that people are talking about the issues that gemm had recently in not paying their sellers promptly and with frequency. it's a public forum and people are free to discuss topics. i highly doubt that this was the only place people were discussing these issues, and if anyone was interested in purchasing on gemm during that period, i doubt they would hesitate to click the ADD TO CART / BUY NOW / CHECKOUT button so that they could google a discussion thread on a separate website, which i will point out, did not name specific sellers as being problematic.
    the only problems discussed were with the manner in which gemm was dealing with it's sellers and their due payments.

don't blame others if your stock isnt moving - get new stock or adjust your prices.
  • marcelrecords over 3 years ago

theoldsage49
    all who made grossly defamatory comments about gemm

Honestly, I have not found anything like that in any post here.

theoldsage49
    they certainly do not overcharge for their unrivalled support to buyers and sellers with a mere 13% charge commission

Compared to other sites 13% does seem a bit thick, no?
    I have been selling on GEMM for many years and I cannot really confirm they are giving ''unrivalled support''. As an example: my seller rating there has been downgraded because I UNDERgraded a record, which was counted as ''not as advertised''. My protesting mails were encountered with the blanket message that the feedback system needs an overhaul, sorry, nothing we can do about it.
    Also: I did wait for over a month to receive my last payment, without so much as even a notice that a waiting period was due. Nothing I would call ''unrivalled'' support.
    That being said, I am modestly content with GEMM. It surely is usable for high-priced rare 60s and 70s records, for which Discogs does not have much traffic.

I would just add a couple of things....

One, that 13% commission is charged on the postage also.

Two, the 8% commission for handling credit card payments yourself was withdrawn by GEMM many moons ago, with little notice.

Am I GEMM bashing? Probably.

Still waiting for my paypal payment (dated 6th November) to come through.

djdom1uk edited over 3 years ago
    theoldsage49
    Do you think the content is difficult to understand.? Are there grammatical errors in the text .

Difficult to read in one block paragraph, certainly!

I didn't take any offence, just giving a little advice about how to post a message that is all.

theoldsage49
    I was expecting some response and whoa true to the form it is a subtle insult.

I didn't read the text, well maybe a few lines here or there - which are addressed to 'David Stack'.

theoldsage49
    A question for you Mr. Stack , did you

I do not use GEMM/and/or Music Stack, but others will and have commented regarding those websites :0)

Hello Pablo thanks for your comment I have an issue with you assertion quote "DONT BLAME OTHERS IF MY STOCK ISNT MOVING GET NEW STOCK OR ADJUST THE PRICES " I have never said my stock is not moving and I do have price reductions for occasional sales promotion.including discounts for bulk purchase .I point out this is the very thing I find offenssive I am more than satisfied with my business .Your comments are offensive and unfounded I would be oblged if you would remove the offensive and unfounded comment Kind Regards theoldsage49
    [quote=PabloPlato][/quote]
  • inexpressible over 3 years ago

Easily offended? Seems so.

I don't really know what this trolls problem is tbh.

But the "downfall" of GEMM is nothing to do with Discogs/Netsounds/MusicStack etc etc

Howabout, looking here and see where the real problem lies... http://www.ripoffreport.com/Search/gemm.aspx

Maybe if Roger was upfront with his sellers and explained the reasons behind the non/late payment to his sellers, things would be better. Nervous sellers would not feel the need to ask elsewhere what is going on.

I know of some sellers who are owed thousands of dollars. Other sellers have had their accounts closed for daring to speak out.

Old Sage....you don't even sell records?

http://www.gemm.com/c/search.pl?&table=sellers&seller=GMV303739&view=WELCOME

What is your point?

whoa there 9 posts I have to respond to I WILL GET ROUND TO IT WHAT MAKES THE PERSO N WHO COMMENTS " OLDSAGE YOU DONT SELL RECORDS" HAVE THAT IN MIND HAS HE GOT A CRYSTAL BALL I HAVE A PRIVATE COLLECTION OF 2.500 RECORDS AND IT IS A RETIREMENT HOBBY SELLING THEM SO WHERE HE GOT THE IDEA I DONT SELL RECORDS IS A MYSYERY TO ME.reminds me of a stevie wonder track HEY MR. KNOW IT ALL

theoldsage49
    I have never said my stock is not moving and I do have price reductions for occasional sales promotion.including discounts for bulk purchase .

theoldsage49
    comments about gemm in that discussion is the impact it could well have had on prospective buyers which would have made sellers suffer in turn.

theoldsage49
    I believe all involved in that charade should hang their heads in shame and owe gemm an apology for their comments and think about the possible effect it could have had on not only gemm sellers but those on other sites as well.

you sure do whine like some butthurt seller who's worried about their sales being down.

theoldsage49
    Do you think the content is difficult to understand.?

somewhat. is english not your native language? or do you have a rudimentary understanding of grammatical rules? those can impede other's ability to understand your message clearly.

theoldsage49
    I sincerely did not set out to cause offence.And I do not see anything in that post which could cause offence.

take a closer look at the following
    theoldsage49
    grossly defamatory comments

theoldsage49
    Well done the man who stole a 400.00 record for 40 quid didn't you do well .

theoldsage49
    Surely we should be sticking together not sticking knifes in others backs.

you accuse users having a discussion of apparent warning signs of a failing company (of which, several involved in the discussion are involved with, so it's in their best interest that the company not flounder and pay them their due balances) of defamatory libel.
    you accuse a user of being a theif for having made a purchase from a gemm seller willing to part with a record for less than competitors' asking prices.
    and to finish things off, you call people having this discussion of being back stabbers.

hmmm...can't imagine why people would be offended.

theoldsage49
    I have had experience of David Stack, Discogs and gemm.

are you a sock puppet? because your account was created just recently and shows no interaction with the discogs database at all. i would hardly call that experience.

theoldsage49
    A question for you Mr. Stack

David Stack is not a member of Discogs (as far as i can tell) nor is he involved with the company. please address your questions to him in the proper channels. perhaps there is a forum on gemm where you can air out whatever grievances you have with him.

theoldsage49
    their unrivalled support to buyers and sellers

theoldsage49
    lead by example congratulate the leader

you speak of their business practice as if it is a shining beacon for others to follow. but this discussion wouldn't be happening here and in various other forums if they ran their business with the buyers and sellers first and foremost. the way they have treated the sellers who create the revenue on that site is nothing less than disrespectful, and hardly what a good leader should be doing.

theoldsage49
    I am more than satisfied with my business

well, that's one for the "satisfied with gemm" pile. many others aren't .
    and if you are satisfied, why are you here? why are you complaining? are you complaining? you are complaining, right?

andygrayrecords
    you don't even sell records?

What is your point?

oh i see - they're a dick with a touch of the cray-crays.

SoLil edited 9 months ago
    theoldsage49
    whoa there 9 posts I have to respond to

no - you dont have to respond to them at all. feel free to just shout aimlessly at any wall. it'll serve the same purpose ultimately as you only seem interested in venting without a solid argument or clear aim.

theoldsage49
    I WILL GET ROUND TO IT WHAT MAKES THE PERSO N WHO COMMENTS " OLDSAGE YOU DONT SELL RECORDS" HAVE THAT IN MIND HAS HE GOT A CRYSTAL BALL I HAVE A PRIVATE COLLECTION OF 2.500 RECORDS AND IT IS A RETIREMENT HOBBY SELLING THEM SO WHERE HE GOT THE IDEA I DONT SELL RECORDS IS A MYSYERY TO ME.

ok. ... 1. welcome to the internet, you mentioned you're not well versed in online existence so let me introduce you to the online golden rule - do not use all CAPS as this is shouting and is seen as rude by many. you will not help yourself out in the long run.

2. you have no seller ratings on gemm because you have never sold anything. and since you have never sold anything you have not had to face the issues that the disgruntled masses have been complaining about - see, when you sell on gemm, gemm collects the money and takes their 13%, then once a month, they send you your money. many sellers who have sold on gemm haven't been receiving their money, hence the hostility many have displayed in various online forums.

3. gemm is primarily a music marketplace. you are trying to sell antique furniture and ivory. not many people are interested in buying an antique edwardian table sight unseen online and pay the ridiculous shipping costs on it. also, ivory is illegal to import into many countries, so good luck trying to sell that one.

4. so you have a collection of 2500 records. big whoop. you aren't actively attempting to sell them, hence why you have no sales, hence why your arguments are moot.
    what's that? you have sold them? how. are you circumventing selling records on gemm via the correctly prescribed method, and thus, circumventing the 13% commission and the ordeal of having to wait for gemm to release your profit to you? i see. you are xxxxxxxxxx and have no basis arguing against either side in this debate.

good day.

Edited by staff to remove abusive language
  • double-happiness over 3 years ago

theoldsage49
    they also allow (contrary to suggestion in the forum )sellers the opportunity to handle their payments from buyers. with a reduction in the commission to 8%

That's not the case now and hasn't been for quite some time.

https://www.gemm.com/c/ordertrack/o2_main_menu.pl?type=seller
    "There are no sign up fees, no listing fees, no hidden fees or charges, we operate entirely on 13% commissions." NB you will need to sign out of Gemm to see that text, and the rate isn't stated at all in their terms and conditions - http://www.gemm.com/info.cgi/seller_agreement

andygrayrecords
    Old Sage....you don't even sell records?

Their Gemm record store is at http://www.gemm.com/store/theoldsage/c/feedback.pl?for_seller=THEOLDSAGE&seller=THEOLDSAGE

double-happiness
    Their Gemm record store is at http://www.gemm.com/store/theoldsage/c/feedback.pl?for_seller=THEOLDSAGE&seller=THEOLDSAGE

and the majority of their sales have occurred prior to the issue of sellers not receiving payment from gemm, and what sales they made since have been minimal so paying them out would not make gemm sweat.

this seller really don't apply to the conversation at hand.

You miss the point regardless of who is the target of the innuendo and allegations of a uncertain future of a major player in the market,every seller is subject to the impact on buyers....I was selling to the public/trade through a warehouse and retail shops in West Yorkshire Newcastle on Tyne and Scotland in addition I had open air markets in England and Scotland covered for more than a 20 year span over 35 years before I retired. .So djdom1uk dont dismiss my input as I have years of experience of dealing to the public and trade. Please believe me what transpired could impact on the public confidence in the record dealers who have never heard of theoldsage or djdom1uk. I am not bothered from the snide comments about me .I did not set out to offend any one in this industry.Neither do I want this nonsense to escalate into tit for tat .I still believe gemm deserve an apology .I have median neurosis that is the medical term for hands that don't work properly I get seizures and cramp after 5 mins or less using the key board of the computer and the frequent errors in spacing or wrong letters in some words I am not always able to respond to posts as or when they come onto my screen.It is unfair of you to say this issue doesnt concern me because I assure you it concerns every person engaged in internet record sales.So ease off I dont usually engage in forum debates.I felt in this instance gemm were being unjustly targeted,it is apparent I was not the only one to speak up in their defence..Perhaps I was loudest and maybe my words have offended some they were not intended to., but I did intend to raise awareness of the possible impact the negative onslaught on gemm could have on the record sellers( irrespective of which site they are using.).It appears the subtle offensive remarks Thanks Pablo are stock in trade.Reminds me of a Gary Glitter song (do you wanna be in my gang.)Pablo if you cant see the point The point is if gemm were late in making a payment gemm are the people to take it up with... What difference does it make if I sell one record or 100 it is a retirement hobby which I enjoy. I find this onslaught of offensive comment boring ..What has cheered me up I have noticed a number of positive comments for gemm.while on this I direct this to the lucky recipient of the 400.00 steal.Please get the notion out of your head i was accusing you of theft.It was used as in I GOT IT SO CHEAP IT WAS A STEAL.I say that is how I meant that and" I swear on soul and conscience " that is the terminology In which I made that comment My sincere apologies but you have taken it the wrong way.I will answer the other posts if I feel it neccessary goodnite

theoldsage49
    I still believe gemm deserve an apology

oh, we havent been properly introduced. i didnt realize you were gemm's white knight.

theoldsage49
    I felt in this instance gemm were being unjustly targeted,it is apparent I was not the only one to speak up in their defence.

:? nope - you're really the only one defending them. the who's and whats and whys of which we do not know. :s

theoldsage49
    I did intend to raise awareness of the possible impact the negative onslaught on gemm could have on the record sellers( irrespective of which site they are using.)

today i killed a moth, do i need to worry about the Tahitians that may be impacted by some tropical rain storm that may come from this event? OMG WHAT HAS I DONE!?? D:

theoldsage49
    you have taken it the wrong way.

see how easy it is to misinterpret things said online? so easy & fun!
    now re-read the thread from the beginning to before you joined. you will see that everyone was expressing valid concerns about a website failing to fulfill it's end of the bargain with it's users, resulting in payments not being made on schedule and sellers being left in the dark. you can see how that would irritate those who depend on that extra income. that's hardly bashing gemm, and what bashing there may be, is done with good reason.

theoldsage49
    The point is if gemm were late in making a payment gemm are the people to take it up with.

couldn't have said that better myself.
    you could really end the thread there if you wanted to. this is discogs, over there is gemm. here is the door.

theoldsage49
    So djdom1uk dont dismiss my input as I have years of experience of dealing to the public and trade

djdom1uk
    just giving a little advice about how to post a message that is all.

theoldsage49
    I am not bothered from the snide comments about me

Nothing to worry about, this is an internet forum - you write something and some people will agree or disagree, do not take it personally.

theoldsage49
    I have median neurosis

Sorry to hear about that, I hope that replying to the messages on here hasn't been difficult.

As mentioned, I haven't tried those other online market-places - since discovering Discogs I haven't really needed to look elsewhere for a better place to come to for my 'musical needs' (collecting, cataloguing, research, buying/selling, etc.).

Welcome to Discogs by the way!
  • mightyvinyl over 3 years ago

Oh my goodness - please just go away. Sell your "antiques" on GEMM, best of luck to you. But either up the dosage of your meds and have your kids type your answers, or stop wasting our time with your pointless nonsensical drivel.

theoldsage49
    Gemm On Rippoff Report / Class Action Lawsuit

theoldsage49

• makbo over 3 years ago

Whatever happened to JayFive? Skimming through this thread reminded me of him for some reason.
  • mightyvinyl over 3 years ago

Can we get back to talking about the GEMM payment problems (and perhaps ignoring our more sanity-challenged posters?)

I've not received any responses to emails asking for payment updates since August 29. I'm currently owed a bit over $500 with the last payment received being for the week of September 25.

I'm probably lucky the amount is *only* $500 as I've put the catalog on hold a few times. I hate to have it on hold during the holiday season but the payment situation there is not getting better, it's rapidly degenerating. The lack of integrity in blaming these problems on an office move - and subsequently the loss of a bookeeper - only compounds the fear of those who are owed, most of whom would prefer to continue selling on GEMM if we were only treated with a little honesty.

makbo
    Whatever happened to JayFive? Skimming through this thread reminded me of him for some reason.

he is on "sabbatical" from the forums. i am here to keep his seat warm for him when he decides to return.
  • stevies45splus over 3 years ago

I just don't understand why anyone would sell on a platform (Gemm) where they don't receive their funds immediately. Even PayPal never held my eBay funds for over 21 days, and that was just a maximum period. Yikes.

Pabloplato
    he is on "sabbatical" from the forums. i am here to keep his seat warm for him when he decides to return.

+1

stevies45splus
    I just don't understand why anyone would sell on a platform (Gemm) where they don't receive their funds immediately.

All well and good for an amateur / hobbyist seller. If you are making your living trading online you will soon find you need to make sales wherever you can. Selling through a single site would be a luxury position that would reduce my time spent on inventory management to zero and increase my item availability to 100%, however I couldn't survive off the revenue. I'm really not aware of any traders dealing solely through one site.
  • afetes over 3 years ago

Back to the hard facts- GEMM is paying its sellers now -but its still 4 weeks behind. I have just received a payment over 400 € (for october) and 3 weeks ago I have received my money over 500 € which was due september. By now I have an new deposit there> only 250 € due for payment yesterday so lets see when it will arrive .No sign that they are going out of business . Yes I was also a bit annoyed about the delay but all this bullshit discussion here. ..Discogs (although I think lots of cheap trash is sold there ) or Musicstack is an alternative but I am afraid of all the work to implement my data base there with no guarantee of selling more there. And yes I am also a bit annoyed 'cause 13 % on record price and postage is way too high . I am a seller from Germany doing business through Gemm for 7 years now.

pablo get your facts right .I do sell records and have a good record for fill rate grading customer satisfaction etc. now you accuse me of selling out with.the gemm umbrella and depriving them of their hard earned commission.that is not true. and I take exception to that allegation In my experience people often accuse others of the underhand strokes they pull themselves. Is that the sort of thing you would do. You are disgusting to call me a dirty rat fink. How childish spat your dummy out have you You are not worth the time of day xxxxhole
  • heidelbaer over 3 years ago

Geez!
  • SNAPS_PROVALONE over 3 years ago

Loud noises! I don't get why anyone should want to discuss another marketplaces problems on another marketplace anyway. As Gemm appear to be withholding payments why not just up & leave once your paid and sell somewhere else like Amazon or eBay for example? There's no need for any soap operas. Until the next episode...

We need Chris Crocker to do a "Leave GEMM alone!" video.

ive got a dog called bruno damn must change his name
    [quote=SNAPS_PROVALONE][/quote]

double-happiness edited over 3 years ago
    SNAPS_PROVALONE
    I don't get why anyone should want to discuss another marketplaces problems on another marketplace anyway.

Gemm don't have a forum. Where else would you suggest sellers discuss the current issues?

SNAPS_PROVALONE
    As Gemm appear to be withholding payments why not just up & leave once your paid and sell somewhere else like Amazon or eBay for example? There's no need for any soap operas. Until the next episode...

eBay... That's a good one... In order to list my inventory on eBay, I'd need to open
    a 'Feature' level shop - that would cost me £320 in month in listing fees alone. That's exclusive of final value fees. Besides, I don't really like being entirely at the mercy of buyers who cannot receive -ve feedback no matter what scams they pull.

You say 'once your paid' - that is kind of the point though, isn't it? If Gemm paying up on time was not an issue there would be nothing to discuss.

Unless you are making your living trading online, you are in a very different position. Selling records puts food on my table and pays my bills, so please don't condescend to tell me there is 'no need for any soap operas', okay? Thanks.

double-happiness
    Unless you are making your living trading online

double-happiness
    please don't condescend to tell me there is 'no need for any soap operas'

Why are people so quick to take offence? I was referring to some of the more juvenile comments which belong in a soap opera. The point I made is that there are other marketplaces to trade at (eBay was just an example) if GEMM mess about with your papes. That's all...calm down.

Can you tell me what advantages there are trading at GEMM? I'd rather access my revenue sooner rather than later if that place was a means to an ends. I couldn't be waiting weeks on end not knowing when my P's are coming in.
  • emuziek over 3 years ago

Entertaining reading these posts...

Hope everyone encounters only serious buyers and sellers, no late payments, properly graded items, no lost or damaged packages, no claims, and happy tunes everywhere!

double-happiness
    All well and good for an amateur / hobbyist seller. If you are making your living trading online you will soon find you need to make sales wherever you can. Selling through a single site would be a luxury position that would reduce my time spent on inventory management to zero and increase my item availability to 100%, however I couldn't survive off the revenue. I'm really not aware of any traders dealing solely through one site.

It's kind of uncalled for to swipe at me (versus a "serious" seller) as I only appear to be amateur/hobbyist because most of my items aren't loaded yet. It takes time here due to having to create database records for everything that's different, and a good majority of my items are different.

Anyway, I don't begrudge selling at multiple locations. What I begrudge is a particular outfit holding _my_ money.

I'll add... I'd rather sell at a slower pace than letting an outfit hold my money, or paying outrageous fees.
  • marcelrecords over 3 years ago

SNAPS_PROVALONE
    Can you tell me what advantages there are trading at GEMM?

I certainly can.
    Top-rarities from roughly 1965 to 1975 attract much more traffic and fetch higher prices on GEMM than on Discogs.
    There are still frighteningly few psych and prog collectors that buy in Discogs' marketplace.

SNAPS_PROVALONE
    Why are people so quick to take offence? I was referring to some of the more juvenile comments which belong in a soap opera. The point I made is that there are other marketplaces to trade at (eBay was just an example) if GEMM mess about with your papes. That's all...calm down.

Fair enough... Sorry if that was a snappy reply.

SNAPS_PROVALONE
    Can you tell me what advantages there are trading at GEMM? I'd rather access my revenue sooner rather than later if that place was a means to an ends. I couldn't be waiting weeks on end not knowing when my P's are coming in.

None. I just need to make sales wherever I can.

stevies45splus
    It's kind of uncalled for to swipe at me (versus a "serious" seller) as I only appear to be amateur/hobbyist because most of my items aren't loaded yet.

OK, fair comment.

stevies45splus
    Anyway, I don't begrudge selling at multiple locations. What I begrudge is a particular outfit holding _my_ money.

The point is if you're selling online, that's pretty much inevitable. Whether it's Paypal, Amazon Payment Sevices or Gemm you never get cash in hand / upfront, except for the rare occasions you are paid via bank transfer or with a Postal Order. Paypal have improved things a lot so you can now withdraw funds to your bank within two hours, but you still run the risk of chargebacks. Other people holding your money is an occupational hazard, and that can really play on your nerves when you're trying to earn a living trading online.

Anyway, aplogies if I was sharp to either of you. The pressure of trying to keep body and soul together selling online takes it toll, and the context of this thread is no exception.
  • technodup over 3 years ago

Gemm's interface is a mess and always has been.

Hope this adds to the debate.
  • Eviltoastman over 3 years ago

marcelrecords
    I certainly can.Top-rarities from roughly 1965 to 1975 attract much more traffic and fetch higher prices on GEMM than on Discogs.There are still frighteningly few psych and prog collectors that buy in Discogs' marketplace.

As a buyer, I can also confirm that for the rarer items in general, it is a great resource. The interface for searching is awful but I've found so much at Gemm that the "database first" method of Discogs would never have allowed for, given that sellers primarily just want to sell and get on with it, not obsess over every nuance of a release (in the absence of economic incentive, it's usually not worth their while going through the trouble),

My first act as a member of discogs and my motivation for my first contribution was to obtain a record I had never seen. I wasn't aware that websubbing was not allowed and I really didn;t care about the guideline, the community. I just wanted to get that record. So I added it to the DB, added some scans from the web and added it to my wantslist and largely forgot about Discogs for a time. This was in 2009.

In January 2012, I realised Gemm had a very detailed wantlist. I added the details of this same release into the wantlist and within a few days I got an email and by mid January I had the single I was looking for (Faith No More - Digging The Grave). Gemm found for me something I'd been looking for in several days that I had in my Discogs wantlist for three years, and which really should not have been on the DB in the first place as I had websubbed (something I have since apologised for).

Whilst Discogs is a fantastic resource, I do feel that Gemm has it's own niche and it would be a shame if they did disappear. I hope they resolve any difficulties that seem apparent.

marcelrecords
    Top-rarities from roughly 1965 to 1975 attract much more traffic and fetch higher prices on GEMM than on Discogs.

OK, well that's one! ;)

double-happiness
    Paypal have improved things a lot so you can now withdraw funds to your bank within two hours, but you still run the risk of chargebacks.

I'm more comfortable not having to wait long or not know when I can access my funds. PP send mine within the blink of an eye and I'm fortunate not to have had any chargebacks since I started selling a year ago.

double-happiness
    Other people holding your money is an occupational hazard, and that can really play on your nerves when you're trying to earn a living trading online.

Precisely why I would never do business there.

double-happiness
    Anyway, aplogies [sic] if I was sharp to either of you. The pressure of trying to keep body and soul together selling online takes it toll, and the context of this thread is no exception.

No worries, I totally empathise. Times are tough.

SNAPS_PROVALONE
    Anyway, aplogies [sic]

My bad, I can't type for shit. And I don't know why I put [sic] after you had put 'your' - removed that now. Too much time on the internet I guess!

Cheers anyway, we're cool...

double-happiness
    Whether it's Paypal, Amazon Payment Sevices or Gemm you never get cash in hand / upfront, except for the rare occasions you are paid via bank transfer or with a Postal Order. Paypal have improved things a lot so you can now withdraw funds to your bank within two hours, but you still run the risk of chargebacks.

Re: PayPal, I've not had one chargeback, due either to good luck or never disappointing any customers. I think and hope it's the latter. :)

I also tend to see PayPal as a financial institution, so them holding my money is something I see differently than Gemm holding it. I have a PayPal debit card that lets me spend my money in my PayPal account just as freely as if it were in my checking account.

double-happiness
    Anyway, aplogies if I was sharp to either of you.

It's all right. I've been treated far worse that before. :) I just wanted to suggest some perspective. I'm kind of in the middle... not amateur, but not big selling biz either. For me, it's one small biz amongst other ways I try to make money.
  • rideonawhitehorse over 3 years ago

I discovered the GEMM marketplace today, but after reading some of the recent dialogue about it, I'm a little concerned. I am a buyer that would like to buy one item. Is the situation on that site good enough that a buyer can pay for and receive their item without any headaches? Thanks for any advice.

rideonawhitehorse
    I am a buyer that would like to buy one item.

i take it that one item is not available on discogs then?

Right

rideonawhitehorse
    Is the situation on that site good enough that a buyer can pay for and receive their item without any headaches? Thanks for any advice.

A site with guarantees of no headaches -- does such a site exist anywhere?

If you're buying or selling in a commercial market, headaches are always possible.

Treat that term as relative, not absolute. Yes, it's actually true that I've had very few (if any) problems ordering media online through the years, but that's irrelevant to my question about GEMM. I am asking the question because I don't want to be stuck filing a paypal dispute 6 weeks from now. From what I've read, it's the sellers on GEMM that have been having issues, so from a buyer's perspective, is there anything out of the ordinary that should concern me?

AFAIK your orders are guaranteed by GEMM.

If you order and it doesn't appear let GEMM know.

Plus of course, if you pay by Paypal, that too is pretty much guaranteed also.

rideonawhitehorse
    from a buyer's perspective, is there anything out of the ordinary that should concern me?

No.