• Staff 3.1k

nik over 13 years ago

We are working towards opening up some of the new genres before the end of the month (October 05). These three genres are slated for addition at this time:

Funk / Soul *
    Latin *
    Reggae *

The other genres are also under discussion, and will be added as soon afterwards s possible, possably in two or more batches:

Blues *
    Classical *
    Folk / World *
    Pop *
    Spoken Word *

Spoken work may be renamed nonmusic. Pop may be a tickbox or a genre with aditional pure pop styles. These are among some of the areas that are are still under discussion in the mod forum.
  • phish63 over 13 years ago

i like spoken word better than nonmusic, unless you are going to accept books and such under nonmusic?????
  • Staff 3.1k

nik over 13 years ago

Speaking books are slated for inclusion, in fact, everything is slated for inclusion, for example field recordings. This would make the Spoken Word genre too small, as field recordings are not spoken word. Unless there is a better name, we'll have to go with nonmusic I think.
  • phish63 over 13 years ago

i see. the scope is broader than i thought.
  • Anonymous over 13 years ago

discogs edited over 13 years ago
    Jazz has to be updated / soul and classical added where else do you think the roots lay of all these electronic music,i dont mean with SOUL R&B
  • Staff 3.1k

nik over 13 years ago

Sorry 2fast-and-2furious, what is your point?

discogs edited over 13 years ago
    Nice. I love you nik ;)

Who is to be Mods?.. I have an rather good knowledge in the world of funk.

Brag-brag!!

AND... Can someone Mod all my current pendings. i got loads of funk/soul to input.

(joke)

look nik, how many times do we have to tell you, submit a ticket if you want new genres!

damn n00bs...;)
  • Sam82 over 13 years ago

:)
  • icyfingerz over 13 years ago

Bring 'em on!!! *utters sound of a cheering crowd*
  • BUNKERHEADZ over 13 years ago

For ELECTRONIC:

Hip House (it really is a diff. style!)
    Hard Beat (between New Beat and Belgium Techno)

well Nik i meant with adding new genres first of all i think the jazz is not complete not even near 25 procent of how many jazz records there are /or where published further adding genre soul / (not r&B for the once who dont
    see the difference ...) and classical but the last if i read comments ona genre called idm i think lets keep it simple:)
  • Escapist over 13 years ago

those three look great. I'm just worried about which styles you will be adding. That's always fun when starting a new genre...
  • Danne over 13 years ago

please accept classical, i just need to submitt my soundtracks :P
  • Staff 3.1k

nik over 13 years ago

@ 2fast-and-2furious - We can run genres in paralell, it's not like we are closing up jazz and concentrating on Soul or whatever. This is expansion, not shifting focus.
  • facoruh over 13 years ago

This is wonderful news, and true transfiguration of the Discogs ideology waiting in the wings! The first three pending genres were much needed, but in my humble opinion it was Folk / World music that was missing from the big 4 currently used. Things will melt together; out of rock (say, shoegazer) into folk... Out of electronic (ambient) into field recordings...
    Classical is a big and courageous step. I had always intimated up until now that Discogs might end up covering all music apart from classical, as traditionally that field of music is so well academically rooted and intellectually documented. It's a real paradigm shift, not just a grey expansion. I hope you can find moderators with the level of commitment and knowledge that can keep up the standards you are building on.
    Nevertheless, guess it shows what a cultural leveller I must be at times: onto a truely plural and rich digital project that keeps growing on me everyday... Good luck, but let's try and keep it simple. It's the input and detailing of information that is paramount for me on release information. Watching over the details of grey dust and superscript print in the hope that small but miraculous details can emerge from corners you never expected to find in this growing library. Genre pigeon-holing is something I leave as open as possible: the more one listens to music, the less one is compelled to speak for it.

Well Nik i understand but i have alot of jazz wich is not in ur system (1930-1965/70) and aswell my soulcollection is also very old.

Enfin, itry to add a release wich is not even yet in this database - > but that does not work out, i am new at this site so is it possible i first have to score some points to add releases there i have really collector items alot of blue note records on vinyl and verve records alot of Soul and alot of classical records aswell it would be great to put them all in but somehow the system changes constantly back in his original sheet form can someone please tell me how to add releases without the irritating fact that it changes back into basic info-Lets face it (Esther Phillips song, u do know her and Billie Holiday strange fruits) Jeff Mills records are all influenced by jazz for instance ) i think its great to addd it in a way you can see that the true foundation of music is coming from a genre now so withdrawn and so one.. to be short i can add releases from classical music/soul/jazz aswell i mean ur jazz collection= well not discogs level, electronic genre u are the best database i know but i am willing to add all my jazz with all the info u need and so one but then with rank 0 is that possible->?i need to read ur guidelines first and hope it will work out u will see your jazz and soul will grow rapidly with correct information-i am just a music lover just like u all are so lets date this all up-and please avoid the "quotes" Facoruh-its the most surreal (c'est Francais) invention ever made. No hard feelings. Saar
  • facoruh over 13 years ago

Dag Saar/Sarah/2fast-and-2furious. You might try reading notes in this forum to help you get going with submissions. (ref. http://www.discogs.com/forums/topic?topic_id=62760). As a new user to Discogs, you are limited in the field of information you can submit until you begin to earn points. This is due to the fact of trying to prevent users with ill intentions logging onto the site and spamming or misusing the submit registers. Once you earn points (with already 5 points to your name you will pass the crucial threshold), you will understand that your rating will grow, and in a given proportion the amount of releases you can submit.
    Start, for instance, by submitting some images of sleeves or labels from your own collection, and above all be patient. For more on ranking, see nik's note at http://www.discogs.com/forums/topic?topic_id=67272.

Also, (and this must be the single must quoted advice given on a daily basis at Discogs), read and above all learn the submission guidelines (ref. http://help.discogs.com/wiki/SubmissionGuidelines). Even though the details of things is constantly subject to changes, that is the nature of user-built digital projects such as a Discogs. The important thing is to pick up the general form of things. Of course there will always be releases that challenge and run up against the limit of how things were brought into the database in the past, but that's part of any collective undertaking. There is always room for discretion on the other side of the screen, that is, as users: adding a release also means learning which information stays true to the actual print, and learning where your own opinion starts to come in. Remember that there are many spaces for the latter to find expression, such as in this forum or on release comments.
    Not quite sure what you imply with "avoiding quotes" (beg my pardon, there I go ;-), but I write my own material (it's what I do, I'm a writer). If you see a quote somewhere, you're probably reading too much...
    Warm regards.
  • Durak over 13 years ago

Durak edited over 13 years ago
    *I made a mistake*
  • emptyjuicebox over 13 years ago

No Wave! aka the best style of Rock ever.

But Durak, I'm pretty sure this isn't the right place to request new styles.

Thanks Facoruh for your reply:) and cool that you are a writer!!
    (and you are right i read too much)

warm regards

Sarah

Saar
  • jared_lethal over 13 years ago

grime and dubstep should be added as genres.

cheers

JL
  • radius over 13 years ago

These styles were supposed to be added some time ago, so we don't have to rehash the discussion in regards to their validity. Hopefully they will be added to Electronic genre soon:

Freestyle
    Hip-House
    Speed Garage

Please read up on this artist, in regards to those who have questioned if "Freestyle," is in fact a sub-genre:

Freestyle

Thanks...
  • mizukagami over 13 years ago

mizukagami edited over 13 years ago
    sic[]
  • Claudyo over 13 years ago

I think that "Orchestra" should added to the "Non-indexed roles", as mizukagami said, i had to use "Featuring" in many occasions, and i think there's a lot of music expecially soundtracks played with an orchestra.
  • updj1 over 13 years ago

I think the addition of a pop genre would be very useful. We have pop rap but what about pop dance? Think of these artists releases in the mid to late 80's:

Madonna (Like A Virgin, Material Girl)
    Whitney Houston (How Will I Know, I Wanna Dance)
    Vanessa Williams (The Right Stuff)
    Johnny Kemp (Just Got Paid, Birthday Suit)
    Dino (I Like It)
    Debbie Gibson (Shake Your Love)
    The Jets (Crush On You and nearly every other song by them)

They definitely aren't house, disco, or hi-nrg; too fast to be r&b/swing; very rarely electro; and not really synth-pop either. This is commercial pop music created to dance to. Please give us pop dance.

I think the addition of hip house, freestyle, and speed garage would be very useful as well.

Oops this should have read:

They definitely aren't house, disco, or hi-nrg; too fast to be r&b/swing; very rarely electro; and not really synth-pop either. This is commercial pop music created to dance to. Please give us pop dance.

OK must be a formatting thing:

too fast to be r and b or swing
  • AceBeaty over 13 years ago

AceBeaty edited over 13 years ago
    Sure Freestyle must be added. It is not a Style 'Free of style' but a Latin (sometimes using lots of clave oriented sounds) branch deriving from 80's Electro-Funk.
    Is Electro-Funk in list by the way ? I don't think so .. but it's ok we called it Electro most of times.
    It must be OK for Hip-House and Hard-Beat and Speed Garage which are indeed very distinct Styles.
    Field Recordings : Great !

Also :

Boogie (or boogie-woogie) should be permitted,
    it is a distinct type of Disco music most prolific between 76 to 80

Is Doo-Wop in too ?
    Many genres are missing ... but I trust it will all get in one day.
  • Christopher_Jion over 13 years ago

Boogie-Woogie is wayyy pre-disco. (make a new name for the disco version then)

real boogie-woogie is like 40s-50s piano bar music.
    my grandfather was in various bands and boogie woogie was one of the styles of one of them.
  • vargind over 13 years ago

hey, it's great soul will be here, maybe then people like SirTweak can update the shifty stuff they have submitted under the electronic genre like Reach Out (I'll Be There)

looks like you can get away with anything when you have that high a rank
  • MONK over 13 years ago

boogie woogie is one of the missing jazz styles
  • jeffdaug over 13 years ago

what about country? there's already some johnny cash and some such in here......

yeah, I thought country was being added, I've stacked my drafts with it

nik,

I see that you added Hip-House (much appreciated). Can you please add these 2 as well?
    Thanks,

Jason

Freestyle
    Speed Garage
  • daveindetroit over 13 years ago

My sincere apologies if this is not the place to request a genre.
    I think two styles/genres that should be considered are "field recordings" and "new age".

Thanks

Dave

so, that genre in rock "experemental", is that a joke with its incorrect spelling? or some real genre?

the style guide is unhelpful to explain this
  • jeffdaug over 13 years ago

Just to drive my point home, here's some country artists already in the database:
    Jerry Lee Lewis
    Merle Haggard
    Waylon Jennings
    Johnny Cash
    Jimmie Rodgers
    Patsy Cline
    Willie Nelson
    Buck Owens
    Loretta Lynn
    Hank Williams Sr.
    Tammy Wynette
    etc.........
  • Disctorsion over 13 years ago

Is R&B in Jazz yet? Y'know stuff like 'Big' Joe Turner etc.
  • MONK over 13 years ago

Big Joe Turner not sure it counts as R&B. and no R&B is no style in jazz.

Dear Christopher_Jion you are absolutely correct about Boogie-Woogie. Sorry for that and indeed Boogie-Woogie must be added to the Jazz section.
    Beside of that in the end seventies, early 80's some Disco artists incorporated Boogie-Woogie and even Foxtrot elements in their music, trust me on that.
    It was then just called Boogie. So I do strongly favour inclusion of Boogie or Disco Boogie in the respective section (Electronic or new to show up Soul / Funk ).

Aside of previous post: Rock Steady is listed in the Rock genre as style, I wonder what it is doing there but maybe, maybe, there is a Rock style as well called Rock Steady, I ignore if it so.
    Anyway, if there is such a style in Rock named such, note also that Rock Steady is a Jamaican 'after ska', Soul Jazz inspired music and it should show up in the Reggae genre whenever it is launched. I'm not smoking.

updj1: 'The Jets - Crush On You' to me is Freestyle rather then 'pop dance' in my view. It mix fine on top of Freeez I.O.U. by the way.

Funk/Soul, Latin, Reggae are all now open and ready for submissions.
  • Staff 3.1k

nik over 13 years ago

Finally !
    Woot woot, Champagne !
  • jmvhy over 13 years ago

Great job!

The list of latin styles is quite comprehensive, but I think Música Popular Brasileira should be added.
  • Staff 3.1k

nik over 13 years ago

MPB has been added.

Ho ! Can new styles still get in lately ?!! :)

Could then be added,
    in Electronic :
    Freestyle
    Electro-Funk
    Ambient Dub
    Dark Ambient
    Chill-core

In Jazz:
    Boogie Woogie
    Avant-Jazz
    Jazz-Punk
    Industrial Jazz
    Scat
    Gypsy Jazz
    M-Base
    West Coast Jazz (or Cool Jazz)
    Spy-Jazz

in Soul/Funk:
    Philly Soul
    Southern soul
    Quiet Storm
    Northern Soul
    Garage (Urban Soul)
    Bright Disco
    Disco Boogie

--
    That's it. Sincerely these styles are missing and I assume that many would appreciate much for these to show up. Thanks.
    --
    Aside of that I like some Latin music but can't always feel able to define a specific style, anyone know a good online guide for all these ? Thank you
    __

• Staff 3.1k

nik over 13 years ago

Bissia - a lot of those styles are not really needed. MANY of them simply describe crossover styles:

in Electronic :
    Freestyle - Under consideration for some time now... fair enough
    Electro-Funk - funk + electro
    Ambient Dub - dub + ambient
    Dark Ambient - light ambient? Mellow ambient? Descriptive styles are generaly not accepted
    Chill-core - What? made-up-core? Happy-core? etc

In Jazz:

Boogie Woogie - possably, yeh
    Avant-Jazz - EH? Avant garde would be the name, different from free jazz?
    Jazz-Punk - genre - jazz, genre - rock, style punk
    Industrial Jazz - electronic / industrial + jazz
    Scat - vocal style
    Gypsy Jazz - under discussion
    M-Base - who?
    West Coast Jazz (or Cool Jazz) - yeh maybe
    Spy-Jazz - cartoon jazz?

in Soul/Funk:

Philly Soul - hmmm
    Southern soul - dunno
    Quiet Storm - dunno
    Northern Soul - not a style
    Garage (Urban Soul) - for hip hop?
    Bright Disco - dark disco??
    Disco Boogie - dunno

Overall, you should check out the Style Guide for more information on how we are moving with styles and genres here. Eventualy, i want to get the system a lot smoother so we can catalog and describe as many styles as possible.

As far as latin styles go, try wikipedia or allmusic.com

URGH.

I see "Speed Garage" is now not even under debate?

I will say this one more time, Speed Garage is NOT the same as UK garage. Two distinct sounds, two distinct styles. If you'd like, Nik, I can provide sound samples for both styles if you'd like to hear the difference. It's like saying Breakbeat is the same thing as Jungle.
  • xdefenestratorx over 13 years ago

@ nik - "Dark Ambient" is an accepted style of ambient that is very different from other types of ambient. No one ever uses other terms like "light ambient", etc., whereas "dark ambient" is an accepted term used by labels and publications. Pls. see the samples I posted in the mod forum last week. I can provide more if necessary. (Also the related issue of adding "Drone" and "New Age")
  • emptyjuicebox over 13 years ago

emptyjuicebox edited over 13 years ago
    Adding "Drone" would help clarify a lot of those "Minimal, Experimental" releases. Of course, it would also help describe stuff like Sunn O))) as well.

v--- eh... Sunn o))) are a lot more droney than most doom metal bands.
  • kreuztot over 13 years ago

^^ doom metal is almost perfect for sunn o)))
  • donnacha over 13 years ago

donnacha edited over 13 years ago
    Darkwave, darkwave, darkwave, PLEASE! This style has been around since the early 80s. Unlike the ever-splitting dance styles, this is a core part of Gothic music - if it's rock, it's Gothic Rock, if it's electronic, it's most likely darkwave (with some exceptions).
  • Jooles over 13 years ago

A second vote for speed garage! Might be a good idea to just post links to the differences here, dj_purity_control.

Okay; sure thing. Here's a few MP3 links to short samples of some tracks from both genres, taken from Juno.

"UK Garage", aka "2-step" ->
    DJ Luck & MC Neat - A Little Bit Of Luck
    Genius Cru - Boom Selection
    N'n'G - Skip Bop
    Truesteppers - Out Of Your Mind
    Wideboys - Let It Go

"Speed garage", aka "Bassline house" ->
    DJ Birdie - Space Invaders
    Double 99 - Rip Groove
    Gisele Jackson - Love Commandments (Loop Da Loop Mix)
    Simply Speed - One Family
    Tremorefire Dubz - Girlfriend

Hopefully this should be more than enough to convince that there's not really any similarity there, short of the fact that they can be mixed with other (and often are -- but so is grime these days, and THAT'S a separate style!).

Glad to see Freestyle approved, now on to Speed Garage, and I'll be content.

"Eventualy, i want to get the system a lot smoother so we can catalog and describe as many styles as possible."

Thank you again, sincerely. It is good to know that.
    Now all the style I listed are not per se crossover styles, mind you and as Jazz-Rock (in jazz) and Garage House (in electronic) as well as Grime (also electronic) are all already listed and are actually crossover styles ... so why those and not the one we'd like to see in I wonder ..

That say, on the Speed vs UK Garage thing I agree totally with dj_purity_control, there is no doubt about it.
    But please consider that the first form of Garage was an urban soul music that was NOT Garage House or any of the new hybrid or evolved forms. It DOES need to be added in the Soul/Funk genre
    as again it is not per se Garage House nor UK nor Speed but just plain Garage (Garridge if you want).

Note also that donnacha is totally correct on Darkwave (and it was at times even named Cold-Wave specially around UK, BeNeLux and Germany in the early 80's, there are still bands doing Darkwave/Cold-Wave music, it could show in Electronic in my opinion but as well in Rock).
    Two example of that style are Pink Turns Blue or Project Pitchfork, it is NOT Synth Pop
    nor it is proper New Wave.

Big respect to xdefenestratorx on Dark Ambient, that individual know what I mean, see what he told us above here for that style.

One thing to consider is that even if some Style names appear easy to make fun of, like opposing Dark Ambient with 'light ambient' (the later doesn't exist), Spy Jazz with cartoon jazz (the later isn't recognized as a style), Bright Disco with dark disco (again the first is a recognized style not the later as a little irony on the name).

Acknowledging and admiring your personal efforts for "catalog and describe as many styles as possible."", permit me (with the help of our well informed users) to comment further on your answer :

in Electronic :
    Freestyle - Under consideration for some time now... fair enough
    => OK, so we are on hold, waiting for it to show up, salivating. Tx ;)

Electro-Funk - funk + electro
    => I understand one could select both to define one but frankly it would be more accurate to
    be able to take it straight as such from the Electronic section. This is by the way, a root style
    of many following genres ... It was very close to Freestyle which kind of came out of it with a strong latin flavor but it is not Funk per se and certainly isn't Electroclash. It was appreciated by B-Boys as much as by Blitz Kids (and some Neo Romantics) ... I maintain that it has a place as such in the electronic genre. I wish sincerely that you would take the time to read this bit for that matter.
    I have to admit some called it Electronic Boogie or simply Electro and that the later for lack of any better can be chosen.

Ambient Dub - dub + ambient
    => OK on that, one could select both to define one. It is probably not so crucial as Electro-Funk
    to be listed as such. It's fine so to me.

Dark Ambient - light ambient? Mellow ambient?
    => Ha, ha, ha, .. mm.. See above and please consider artists as [Invalid Artist], Vidna Obmana, Lustmord or Robert Rich just among a few ... 'mellow ambient'! I appreciate the joke ;) Againre is no such thing as 'light ambient', very funny.

Chill-core - What? made-up-core? Happy-core? etc
    => Ho! Speedcore is recognized on Discogs but I see here you don't get it and it has nothing to do with these Hardcore Techno styles, to the contrary ... as donnacha stated for Dark Ambient, Chill-core is a legit style of it's own. The trouble is that the press has blindly categorized that style as IDM (short for intelligent dance music : an ugly term in my opinion, perpetuating the idea that dancing as an act has no intelligence whatsoever but let me get back to it..). No early British or other lands formations (these weren't properly -bands- as it happen a lot in the Electronic music genre) ever defined their creations as IDM, the term came to pop-up when the genre had already evolved and reached acceptance in the USA. The music I mention predate IDM but sadly only the later term is admitted in the mainstream while IDM isn't exactly Electronica (or Chill-core). What I mean here is -Electronica- or -Chill-core- (at least one of the two could be picked/listed it's the same style) and truely was the common used term among these formations and that style aficionados. Again it is NOT IDM.
    Some labels/releases in that genre as example :Applied Rhythmic Technology (ART), Memories Of The Future / All That Rises, Time Scape, ... for lack of better yet some people chose 'Abstract', that reminds me that 'Musique Concrete' appeared when visual art went into 'Abstract' ! At least -Electronica- would be fine to show up.

=>
    By the way not yet listed Hardcore Techno styles but recognized as such :
    Digital hardcore (is NOT Gabba NOR Happy hardcore)
    Nu Style Gabber and Terrorcore (recognized but gee do I care)

In Jazz:

Boogie Woogie - possibly, yeh
    => Christopher_Jion or MONK have confirmed that, missing style in Jazz, Thanks.

Avant-Jazz - EH? Avant garde would be the name, different from free jazz?
    Yes, it's not Free jazz
    "Avant-jazz (also known as avant-garde jazz) is a style of music and improvisation that combines elements of avant-garde art music and composition with elements of traditional jazz. Avant-jazz overlaps with free jazz, but differs in that free jazz is generally performed with fewer, or no predetermined structure or composition;" Source

Jazz-Punk - genre - jazz, genre - rock, style punk
    => OK on that, one could select both to define one. It is probably not so crucial as Electro-Funk

Industrial Jazz - electronic / industrial + jazz

Scat - vocal style
    => Indeed but -none!!!- of the Vocal Jazz style are listed in Jazz last time I checked ! :(
    These Vocal Jazz styles should not go in future Spoken Word* section as most have instruments' accompaniments. Maybe not Scat but at least Vocalese or Vocal Jazz should be added to give emphasis on these productions, so Gospel, Torch songs, Scat and Novelties could at least go under Vocal Jazz The Jazz Singers. Never eard of The Double Six Of Paris ? Twelve person doing Jazz (no beat poetry) vocaly !

Gypsy Jazz - under discussion
    => Good to know that.

M-Base - who?
    => or macro-basic array of structured extemporization.
    Mm, I have to admit it isn't a style as such even if some critics state it is one.
    Info. Artists= Steve Coleman, Greg Osby ...
    I admit now it isn't probably not necessary to add.

West Coast Jazz (or Cool Jazz) - yeh maybe
    => I think one of the two term should at least be admited. When NYC did Hard Bop, The west coast did Cool Jazz. It is NOT the same style at all. Thank you for your consideration, some collectors just look for that style only.

Spy-Jazz - cartoon jazz?
    => Consider that a lot of collectors are looking into Discogs and that it is a defined style and even if a few some collectors are looking for just that. Plus it isn't properly Bop, Modal or anything else but Spy-Jazz.
    Some artist who have done some albums in that specific style are Henry Mancini, Kenyon Hopkins, Leith Stevens, Elmer Bernstein, [Invalid Artist], Buddy Morrow, [Invalid Artist], Quincy Jones, Earl Hagen, Si Zentner, Pierro Piccioni...

in Soul/Funk:

Philly Soul - hmmm
    => It is recognized as Philly Soul, should be listed in Soul/Funk ('cause not in anyway Electronic) , Philly soul was one of the most popular forms of soul music in the early '70s. Building on the steady groove of Hi Records and Stax/Volt singles, Philly soul added sweeping strings, seductive horns and lush arrangements to the deep rhythms. As a result, it was much smoother, even slicker than the deep soul of the late '60s, but the vocals remained as soulful as any previous form of R&B. Philly soul was primary a producer's medium, as Kenny Gamble & Leon Huff and Thom Bell [not to forget Vince Montana Jr.] created the instrumental textures that came to distinguish the genre. That isn't to short change the vocalists, since the Spinners, the O'Jays, Harold Melvin & the Blue Notes, and the Stylistics were among fine soul singers with distinctive voices, but the sonic elements that made Philly Soul distinctive were the creation of the producers. Gamble & Huff worked with the Delfonics, Archie Bell, Harold Melvin & the Blue Notes, and the O'Jays; Bell produced the Spinners and the Stylistics, among others. The highly-produced sound of Philly Soul paved the way for the studio constructions of disco and urban contemporary R&B. Philadelphia soul pre-date Disco. It -HAS TO- be added, I'm sorry.

Southern soul - dunno
    => I do. Could also be named Memphis soul. Artists= Willie Mitchell, Al Green,
    Otis Redding, Carla Thomas, The Staple Singers. I'm not joking.

Quiet Storm - dunno
    => " Encompassing a mix of African American music genres, quiet storm music is distinguished by understated, mellow dynamics and relaxed tempos and rhythms. It can be soothingly pensive, or express romantic sentiment. Quiet storm music is similar to soft rock and adult contemporary styles, but it is more closely and unmistakably rooted in R&B, often with jazz extensions. At its best, the style features an urbane sophistication and subdued soulfulness.
    Quiet storm programming is credited with launching the careers of Luther Vandross and Anita Baker, and with introducing Sade to U.S. audiences. " Some Info

Northern Soul - not a style
    => Don't tell that.
    You might get a gang of UK mods looking for a bruising at ya.
    And We don't want that.
    Look around for Motortown Soul or Detroit Soul and try an eBay search for Northen Soul my friend,
    don't forget to display your results from most to lowest expensive. Don't forget some into collecting cakes are looking into Discogs at times but in that specific realm Discogs is far from been a good source of information.
    No, no it's "not a style" but 4755 items found for
    Northern Soul. What the person does when he receive a cake he has acquired for $5025.00 but after listening to it realize it's not the style of music s/he expected ?
    Sure once it'll be in (I'm confident it will), some will have to be very very careful before specifying a release in that style. °_°

Garage (Urban Soul) - for hip hop?
    => For Hip Hop ?!!! Are you seerius ? Nothing to do with hip-hop, at all.
    Garage. Garage and -just simply- Garage.
    It's sort of a shame that Garage House (Electronic version of the style that we need in Soul/Funk) and sooner or later UK Garage (=2 Step) as well as Speed Garage (or say Speed Garridge) but simply Garage could be associated with hip-hop or end up in the wrong Genre section. Consider all previous post above on the two mentioned styles but for this one with nothing added to it (no house-g, no x-steps, no speed-g) let this soulful dance style be listed as it must be called (simply): -Garage- in the Soul/Funk section; as a well known example Going Back To My Roots isn't an electronic track at all nor Disco nor plain Soul and I wonder how it does get in here in Electronic Genre !!!? (It's a song by the way not a track). Aside of that, whenever the term "garage music" is used in reference to the Paradise Garage, ---it does not exclusively mean house music---.

Bright Disco - dark disco??
    => There is no such think as 'dark disco' as a recognized style.
    Bright Disco= The strongest pattern of Bright Disco is that several instruments commonly used by traditional disco music, such as rhythm guitar, strings (violin, viola, cello), trumpet, saxophone, trombone, piano, and drums were electronically emulated, or replaced by keyboard's icy sounds (brightness, pad-ens, saw-wave, bells or atmosphere).
    The genre is sometimes denied as being such, by those that consider it as a kind of historical prelude to the Synth Pop era, but it has sufficient personality to be considered a valuable musical movement.
    It is NOT Synth Pop, not at all and it isn't proper Disco, nor a purposeful crossover style, that is the main reason it must be listed. You could place it both in Soul/Funk and Electronic (Like Neofolk which is currently appearing in both the Electronic & the Rock section). No dark disco in there.

Disco Boogie - dunno
    => (see A3) for the Showcase: Disco Boogie Vol. 1, Boogie Bus, Bionic Boogie, Get Up And Boogie, Boogie Wonderland, Boogie Nights, Boogie Oogie Oogie, ... maybe it is a Phantasm but the B-side seams to confirm ! Weird, maybe we should Blame It On The Boogie °_°

Thank you for your consideration.
  • djrichmatthews over 13 years ago

so not to be pushy or anything but is Freestyle still going to be added? looks like it from the last comment from nik it was going to be... if you need more supporting info, these links might be helpful:

The History Of Freestyle

Amazon.com's Freestyle catalogue

Search Results for Freestyle on musicstack.com

just a few links, but click through to other links from those pages ... should be a good starter at any rate... and thank you radius for linking to Jocelyn earlier in this post. :) 'nuff said! :)
  • djrichmatthews over 13 years ago

oh i almost forgot... i know Quiet Storm has at least been mentioned, i think with a "don't know" or "not sure" response... if it is still being debated, here are some links re: QS:

Definition of Quiet Storm

Amazon.com's Quiet Storm catalogue

Quiet Storm on music.com

should also mention that Quiet Storm has been around a lot longer than a number of styles in every Ogs genre ... and imho is probably the most popular cross-genre style of music that is not yet in Ogs - QS is a combination of styles that draw from primarily R&B and jazz but is played (in the US anyways) on a multitude of different types of stations - urban (R&B/soul), adult urban contemporary, adult contemporary/AC, jazz, contemporary jazz, top 40 - and if you need two REALLY big examples of what Quiet Storm sounds like, listen to any cut off either of these albums:

Rapture

The Night I Fell In Love

thanks for your consideration =)

rich
  • kevingilmour over 13 years ago

Overall, you should check out the Style Guide for more information on how we are moving with styles and genres here. Eventualy, i want to get the system a lot smoother so we can catalog and describe as many styles as possible.

It's exactly this kind of thing that needs to be looked at by Discogs as a whole - not just the debate of UK Garage vs Speed Garage

This site has been built by the community - it's their data that has made this site the success it is. It's the anorak music enthusiasts adding data in good faith - so they want it to reflect their entries and be accurate, much like mods check submissions for accuracy.

Surelly a good thing - no?

Now, this (assuming) "I'm not including Speed Garage as I feel it is already covered under UK Garage and not including it would also solve the problem of the dropdown being far too big" is not good enough.

A simple expandable form like:-

Level 1
    Jungle
    Gargage >
    Techno
    etc...

Level 2
    Garage House
    Speed Garage
    UK Garage

... would solve one hell of a problems and future compatibility issues over the next years when new names likely come about. (Speed Garage and UK Garage incidentally need to be explained in simple-English terms in the style guide first)

It also presents the casual user (likely the minority) with very little top level choices and those into different stuff (Techno, Jungle etc) need never see Speed Garage, UK Garage etc when they are entering data specific to their listening.
  • msone over 13 years ago

In the beginning discogs.com was only a electronic database...
    And now? Pop Music? Raggae?
    In my opinion it's not the best idea to make this...
    This doesn't makes fun anymore...
  • viima over 13 years ago

No, in the contrary, this makes it a lot more fun.

FREESTYLE

We have Pop Rap but we need a Pop Dance style. Think of late 80's early 90's artists like:

C & C Music Factory/Gonna Make U Sweat
    Vanessa Williams/The Right Stuff
    Dino/I Like It
    The Jets/Crush On You

even some late 90's Britney Spears stuff.

Most of this is between BPM 105-120. It isn't hip hop or r and b/swing (too fast and little or no rap), it's not house (too slow and doesn't have the constant beat), not synth-pop or electro.

Pop rap is rap or hip hop with a very slick commercial sound. Pop dance would be the equivalent for the dance genre.
  • Claudyo over 13 years ago

Hi to all,

i've noticed with pleasure the add of Latin to the genres.
    But i think that in the styles two are missing about Spanish music:
    One is :

"Copla" ,

and the other one is:

"Sevillanas",

more than Flamenco that's quite generic,
    referred to the typical music from Andalusia.
    Congratulations to all the editors for the latest improvement.

so, whenever is there going to be a style in electronic for music made on gameboys or similar??
  • neocactar over 13 years ago

What's the status on Classical? Still under discussion, I imagine, as the submission rules will probably be pretty damn complicated.
  • sgx over 13 years ago

please don't put World with Folk... they are two seperate things... Folk needs to be put by itself imo
  • Staff 3.1k

nik over 13 years ago

sqx wrote please don't put World with Folk... they are two seperate things... Folk needs to be put by itself imo

Sorry sqx, that is not a good argument to put forward for their seperation! To me, world is just a fancy marketing term for African folk music. Ultimatly, it really doesnt matter if they are together or seperate in the database, as long as we can describe the releases and try to get the styles right. Folk / world is going to be the most complicated genre for styles.

mizukagami edited over 13 years ago
    nik, what about styles such as "spacemusic" and "progressive ambient"? I've submitted forms for them, but no word.
  • guzzer over 13 years ago

World will indeed be complicated - IMO it will be impossible to list all possible styles - and virtually impossible to moderate those styles.

Perhaps better to have a "country of origin" (as opposed to county of release) and anything else in the notes, otherwise you'll get people putting ALL North African music into Rai cos that's the "nearest" available style

@Nik - world music is more than African folk music. Take Rai - a hugely popular genre in North Africa and Europe, sells way more than some of the styles we already have, and has nothing to do with folk, but is dance music pure and simple.

that's an idea though - instead of a "world" genre, why not start off with an "Africa" genre.....

And then add other continents gradually..

World is usually folk from somewhere else, Irish folk is almost always in the world section outside of Ireland and the UK. French Cajun is in the world section in the UK, etc.

But world is not only folk. Is Youssou D'Dour folk? Fela Kuti? Remmy Ongala? hardly..
  • Staff 3.1k

nik over 13 years ago

Yes, but really Youssou D'Dour etc are crossover artists that mix traditional forms with (typicaly) funk, soul, and caribbean influences. Releases can have more than one genre or style attached to them.

One thing I am keen not to do is get too bogged down in absolutes when it comes to genres and styles. The genres are going to be split here to represent the widest possible starting point, and I am currently working on methods to improve how Discogs handles styles.

The folk / world category will cover all forms of traditional musics, including traditional African, European folk musics, and American country and western, to name a few out of the many hunderds of regional styles this genre will represent.

There is no doubt that, like all the other music genres, there will be much cross over styles and bands that mix two or more genres or styles together.
  • MONK over 13 years ago

still it's called world music not world

still it's called world music not world

I would of thought the music part was a given, considering what site this is.

so, is there going to be a seperate section for children's music? or is that going to come under something else? I think you could add this easily, I'm sure there won't be many submissions...

also, where are the christmas carols going to go? already people are submitting them under jazz...
  • sgx over 13 years ago

i guess if you live in china you might think that american folk music is "world music"... but i guess with me living in america i don't think of folk music as being world music
  • Staff 3.1k

nik over 13 years ago

nik edited over 13 years ago
    vargind - good points... childrens may fit under pop? Hyms may fit under classical? Otherwise we have to start other genres for them :-(

sgx - the whole world music name sucks anyway... it was made up by european record stores / labels to classify traditional and acoustic musics from around the world (esp Africa). I am not saying that all world music is folk or vise versa, simply that they are both TRADITIONAL musics. maybe this genre should be called traditional instead?

Traditional could work as long as there's a fusion style for the likes of Kíla or Afro Celt Sound System. It could cut down on the number of styles if there an obligatory country style and then a modifier (the US - Cajun vs. Appalachian or Ireland - trad vs. sean nós examples spring to mind). The only problem I could see with this is when fans of these styles start submitting, they might have an issue with the concept of "traditional", which is normally rather fake (Irish traditional in its current form is often less than 100 years old).

Don't want to bang on about this too much - essentially I'm happy with any system that will let me submit my "world music" records...BUT - it seems to me that "world music" means BOTH traditional (as per what NIk said above) AND pretty much anything not sung in English! So to take Rai as an example again - it would defintely fit in most people's definition of World music, but its not "traditional" in any way...its contemporary North African pop...

jasmithers edited over 13 years ago
    Why not get rid of all genres/styles except for three:

1) Classical
    2) Jazz
    3) Popular

There's so much crossover amongst rock, blues, electronic, R'n'B, pop, funk, soul, latin, reggae, folk, world that all these might be easier to deal with as simply "Popular." And in truth, doesn't it take something from the music when we try to pigeonhole it into a specific category? Let the music be free! Let it live to be itself! Vive la musique! Que la musique soit libre!

Do we really need to categorize it? Just list it alphabetically by Artist and people will find it. Whaddya know? Discogs already does that!

It would be easy to make the switch -- just split all existing entries into Jazz or Popular. When that's pau, open up the Classical section.

Now all the DJ's are going to send me death threats -- "How can I put together my set for tonight's Gabber show?" What is Gabber, anyway? Is it a bunch of people gabbing at each other while music plays in the background?

^ouch. No.
  • solefald over 13 years ago

why dont we remove genre alltogether? heh

jasmithers edited over 13 years ago
    @solefald -- If you're serious, I'm with you. However, judging from mizukagami's opinion, I'm not sure it will be a popular position.

@mizukagami -- any specific objections?

BTW -- I saw you submitted the Blue Moon Records version of The Keep soundtrack. Very cool stuff! Have you gotten hold of the Tangerine Tree version? It's pretty much the same tracks, but they located a better master tape, so the sound quality is vastly improved. I consider it one of the highlights of my (still meager) collection.

I don't think lumping all of the current genres into 'popular' isn't really all that useful. It's not all pop, any more than all Jazz is non-pop (I won't say anything about Classical...).

It's no use trying to get rid of cross-over stuff by getting rid of the main genre, as that'll just lead to more ambigiousness, even when there isn't any with the sound of the music. Gabber, from my experience, only shares it's tools of creation with something like Ambient, and Rock has more in common with Jazz than it does to Electronic stuff, in sound and creation.

And doesn't some modern electronic hold it's roots in Jazz anyway? Would they go in Jazz or Electronic? Or both? In that case you aren't really cleaning anything up...

I dunno, just my 2cents

@neocactar -- thanks for the response. However, my brain must be shut off right now, because I can't tell if you're for or against the proposal to pare down the number of genres and styles.

If you're saying what I think you're saying, solefald's suggestion may be the only true solution.

:D Yeah, I did sorta ramble on... My English papers were aways like that.

I'm saying it's more useful the way it is, and getting rid of many of the current main genres might help to get rid of cross-over stuff, but it would hurt everything else.

I also wasn't sure why Jazz was exempt from Pop, but then, maybe I don't know enough about it.

If genre was optional, I suppose it might address this, but getting rid of it altogether would just be a loss with no gain.
  • type over 13 years ago

ADDING NEW GENRES
    nik wrote:
    We are working towards opening up some of the new genres before the end of the month (October 05). These three genres are slated for addition at this time:

Funk / Soul *
    Latin *
    Reggae *

The other genres are also under discussion, and will be added as soon afterwards s possible, possably in two or more batches:

Blues *
    Classical *
    Folk / World *
    Pop *
    Spoken Word *

Spoken work may be renamed nonmusic.

-

I would suggest

- nonmusic

Expandable with:

- Spoken Word
    - Sound Effects
    - Test Recordings

There are some releases on discogs filed under e.g. "electronic, experimental" that are actually sound effects / field recordings.

"Test Recordings" would cover all types of stereo/amp test records.

New-Age & World would be cool.
  • goadiroth over 13 years ago

...Metalcore?
  • DiamondTree over 13 years ago

oh...Freestyle is approved? good! So many artists in that field...
    Stevie B
    Johnny O
    Lil suzy
    Lisette Melendez
    George LaMond
    TKA
    Jaidie
    Timmy T
    Sweet sensation
    and so on...

Can't believe some of these releases are labelled as rock or electro...lol

vargind edited over 13 years ago
    @ nik

regarding children's music, you're probably dicussing it in the mods forum anyway, but I would suggest that if you're not going to make a seperate main genre for them, you would add the following styles:

Children's pop (in pop genre when available)
    Children's dance (in electronic genre)
    Children's rock (in rock genre or possibly moved to pop genre when available)
    Children's folk (in world genre)
    Nursary rhymes (in world genre)
    Children's stories (in non-music genre)
    (possibly some others exist too)

alternatively all of them could be put in main genre "children" (I think this would be better personally), or perhaps make a tick-box that makes it "children" or maybe even a genre with no styles under it, so that you combine it with another genre to get the correct style, but it is still easily searchable by just clicking the children genre on the main page.

I know it is not high on your priorities due to you trying to add a whole lot of other difficult genres like "classical" and "world" at the moment, and all the other trouble you are having right now, but at the same time this is probably reasonably straight-foward comparitively...
  • gmos over 13 years ago

Any decision on whether there'll be an African or World section soon?