In April 2002, Rainbo Record Manufacturing Corporation purchased DOCdata California, Inc., the Canoga Park, CA manufacturing plant formerly run by DOCdata.
Vinyl Format Releases:
Typical prefix, found on vinyl runout data, as follows:
• S-12345, S being for LP, 12", and 10" (note: the "S" can resemble a "5").
• L-12345, L being for LP, 12", and 10" (note: Greg Lee Processing also used a 'L' prefix in its number scheme, however, this is not mutually exclusive as it often processed releases later pressed at Rainbo).
• R-12345, R being for 7". (note: other pressings plants, e.g., Allied Record Company also use this same R-12345 type etching on 7" records).
S-12345 or R-12345 can be entered in the catalogue number field adjacent to the Pressed By field used for the 'Rainbo Records' credit. Because each side of a record will often be assigned a unique identifier, e.g., S-12345, S-12346, each sequence should be added into a separate dedicated field.
*Please note that although helpful, the runout data should not be relied on as the sole source of information to substantiate the year of the release in most instances and especially for reissues, represses, and other subsequent pressings. This is because Rainbo Records will often recycle the identification number assigned to the initial pressing on subsequent pressings of the same release.
CD Format Releases:
CDs can include a "Rainbo CA" or "Rainbo" mould that was added to hubs towards the end of the 1990s.
A unique identifier can be seen in the matrices of CDs pressed between years 1999 through to some time during 2002 (note: Not all discs pressed in 1999 or 2002 will contain the unique identifier).
For CDs that do contain the unique identifier, some examples are as follows:
• C1.1 504552-01 5233-DTI6972 <- An example of a 1999 pressing. The unique identifier is 504552.
• C1.1 157444-01 3651-GCR701 <- An example of a 2000 or 2001 pressing. The unique identifier is 157444.
• (186411) 6617-0059 01 <- An example of a 2002 pressing, where the identifier is now in brackets. The identifier is 186411.
Mould SID: IFPI A6**
• Steve Sheldon (President)
Known former employees:
• Jack Brown (b 1914 - †2004) (Founder, President from 1939)
• Bill Piner (Executive Supervisor, circa 1977)
• Jim Doyle (Accountant Executive, circa 1977)
• Bea Laugham (Customer Relations, circa 1977)
• Steve Sheldon (Production Supervisor, circa 1977)
• Ron Rankin (Record Production, circa 1977)
• Rick Silva (3) (Plant Engineer, circa 1977)