Then renamed to Optimal Media GmbH.
Name variations as found on this profile:
- Optimal Media Production
- Optimal Mediaproduction GmbH
XY#####-ZZ (e.g. B847793-01)
(Single letter format identifier, followed by single character year identifier, followed by a 5 digit numeral code, followed by an appended two digit disc numbering).
X is the format identifier:
"A" = CDs
"B" = Vinyl records
"D" = DVDs
Y is the manufacture year identifier.
For releases manufactured between 1997 and 2009 it is a single number (0 to 9).
For releases manufactured since 2010 it is a single letter (A to Z).
The numbers 7, 8 and 9 are ambiguous and can mean either year:
7 = 1997 or 2007
8 = 1998 or 2008
9 = 1999 or 2009
0 = 2000
1 = 2001
2 = 2002
A = 2010
B = 2011
After the 5 digit numeral code, the 2 digit disc numbering (ZZ) can be found, which starts at "01".
On multi disc releases the last digit usually incrementally rises by 1 for each disc. (Example: Disc 1 = 01, Disc 2 = 02, etc.)
CD: A785283-01 manufactured by optimal media production
DVD: DA98810-01 manufactured by optimal media production
Vinyl: B847793-01 A1
Notes on CDs/DVDs:
• CD and DVD releases additionally carry a "manufactured by optimal media production" string next to the matrix number.
• If the production was done for a manufacturing broker (e.g. Handle With Care), the string often is replaced with the name of the broker.
• The plant's mastering SID codes were: ifpi/IFPI L571, L572, L573, L574
Notes on Vinyl records:
• The matrix number can be either machine stamped or hand etched.
• Sometimes you'll also find the initials of a mastering engineer next to the matrix number (see the list below).
• In that case the record was also cut at Optimal Media Production.
• If there are no engineer initials present, the record was cut externally.
• Due to the nature of the hand etching, the B (format identifier) might be mistaken for a 3, an 8 or a D.
• Vinyl releases additionally carry the side positions along with an additional digit, next to the matrix number (see the example below).
Notes on the manufacture date:
• The year of manufacture in some cases may not be equal to the release year.
• The actual release date can be the same year of manufacture or the following year (e.g. manufactured in Dec. and released in Jan.)
• The release date cannot be earlier than the year it was manufactured though (there can be certain exceptions though).
Notes on entering the matrix number in the LCCN fields (for Vinyl = Pressed By):
• Please only enter the "XY#####" part, without the appended disc numbering: This is the internal "article number".
• If a release shows 2 or more of these numbers (e.g. multi-format releases), please enter each in a separate field.
Attention: Do not confuse the Universal Records catalog number scheme with the vinyl matrix scheme of Optimal Media!
Universal Records catalog numbers can be easily distinguished by the zeros after the B:
• Releases until roughly mid 2007: B000####-XX (B followed by three zeroes, followed by 4 digits)
• Releases since 2007: B00#####-XX (B followed by two zeroes, followed by 5 digits)
(-XX is the release format, e.g. "01" for an LP, "02" for a CD, "11" for a 12" vinyl single).
Mastering/cutting engineers employed at Optimal Media Production:
HL (2) (Heino Leja)
TW (5) (Thorsten Wyk)
Relevant history and production starting dates:
01 October 1997: Renamed to Optimal Media Production GmbH (from "optimal" Tonträger Produktionsgesellschaft mbH, founded in December 1990).
1998: Start of the Printing and Service Centre.
1999: Production start of DVDs.
2000: Start of the DVD Authoring studio.
September 2007: Production start of the VinylDisc.
01 October 2011: New company name: Optimal Media GmbH.