Formerly operating as Optimal Media Production.
(Single letter format identifier, followed by single character year identifier, followed by a 5 digit numeral code, followed by an appended two digit disc numbering).
X is the format identifier:
"A" = CDs
"B" = Vinyl records
"D" = DVDs or Blu-Ray Discs
"E" = Blu-ray Discs
Y is the manufacturing year identifier, since 2010 a single letter (A to Z):
(before 2010 see Optimal Media Production listings)
A = 2010
B = 2011
C = 2012
D = 2013
E = 2014
F = 2015
G = 2016
H = 2017
I = 2018
J = 2019
K = 2020
After the 5 digit numeral code, the 2 digit disc numbering (ZZ) can be found, which starts at "01".
On multi disc releases the last digit usually incrementally rises by 1 for each disc. (Example: Disc 1 = 01, Disc 2 = 02, etc.)
CD: AB57815-01 manufactured by optimal media GmbH
DVD: DC83784-01 manufactured by optimal media GmbH
Vinyl: BC781001-01 A1
Notes on CDs/DVDs:
• CD and DVD releases additionally carry a "manufactured by optimal media GmbH" string next to the matrix number.
• If the production was done for a manufacturing broker (e.g. Handle With Care), the string often is replaced with the name of the broker.
• The plant's mastering SID codes are: ifpi/IFPI L571, L573, L574, L575, L576, L577, L578, L622.
Notes on Vinyl records:
• The matrix number can be either machine stamped or hand etched.
• If initials of a mastering engineer (see the list below) appear next to the matrix number, you can also enter the Lacquer Cut At role for Optimal Media GmbH.
• If there are no mastering engineer initials present, the mastering / lacquer cutting was done externally.
• Due to the nature of the hand etching, the B (format identifier) might be mistaken for a 3, an 8 or a D. The numeral 1 can be mistaken for a 7 and the 5 can be mistaken for a √.
• Vinyl releases additionally carry the side positions along with an additional digit, next to the matrix number (see the example below).
• There are sometimes additional, faintly inscribed "geometric" marks. These are added during plating, and are therefore mirrored. They consist of a digit and a symmetrical symbol such as I, +, =, △ (for example I ↾ ). Enter these with the runout string in their non-mirrored form (e.g. "1 I") and note this in the description field (e.g. "1 I mirrored" - see this example).
Notes on the manufacture date:
• The year of manufacture in some cases may not be equal to the release year.
• The actual release date can be the same year of manufacture or one year later (e.g. manufactured in Dec. and released in Jan.)
• It (normally) cannot be earlier than the year it was manufactured though (there can be certain exceptions).
• Do not derive a release year from the manufacturing date code alone.
How to enter the matrix number in the LCCN fields:
• Please only enter the "XY#####" part, without the appended disc numbering: This is the internal "article number".
• If a release shows 2 or more of these numbers (e.g. multi-format releases), please enter each in a separate field.
Vinyl mastering engineers employed at Optimal Media GmbH:
Heino Leja (HL)
Jörg Peters (JP)