Formerly operating as Optimal Media Production.
(Single letter format identifier, followed by single character year identifier, followed by a 5 digit numeral code, followed by an appended two digit disc numbering).
X is the format identifier:
"A" = CDs
"B" = Vinyl records
"D" = DVDs
"E" = Blue Ray DVDs
Y is the manufacturing year identifier, since 2010 a single letter (A to Z):
A = 2010
B = 2011
C = 2012
D = 2013
E = 2014
F = 2015
G = 2016
After the 5 digit numeral code, the 2 digit disc numbering (ZZ) can be found, which starts at "01".
On multi disc releases the last digit usually incrementally rises by 1 for each disc. (Example: Disc 1 = 01, Disc 2 = 02, etc.)
CD: AB57815-01 manufactured by optimal media GmbH
DVD: DC83784-01 manufactured by optimal media GmbH
Vinyl: BC781001-01 A1
Notes on CDs/DVDs:
• CD and DVD releases additionally carry a "manufactured by optimal media GmbH" string next to the matrix number.
• If the production was done for a manufacturing broker (e.g. Handle With Care), the string often is replaced with the name of the broker.
• The plant's mastering SID codes are: ifpi/IFPI L571, L573, L574, L622
Notes on Vinyl records:
• The matrix number can be either machine stamped or hand etched.
• Sometimes you'll also find the initials of a mastering engineer next to the matrix number (see the list below).
• In that case the mastering was also done at Optimal Media GmbH.
• If there are no mastering engineer initials present, the mastering / lacquer cutting was done externally.
• Due to the nature of the hand etching, the B (format identifier) might be mistaken for a 3, an 8 or a D.
• Vinyl releases additionally carry the side positions along with an additional digit, next to the matrix number (see the example below).
Notes on the manufacture date:
• The year of manufacture in some cases may not be equal to the release year.
• The actual release date can be the same year of manufacture or one year later (e.g. manufactured in Dec. and released in Jan.)
• It (normally) cannot be earlier than the year it was manufactured though (there can be certain exceptions).
How to enter the matrix number in the LCCN fields:
• Please only enter the "XY#####" part, without the appended disc numbering: This is the internal "article number".
• If a release shows 2 or more of these numbers (e.g. multi-format releases), please enter each in a separate field.
Vinyl mastering engineers employed at Optimal Media GmbH:
HL (2) (Heino Leja)